Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!

Nition posted:

I started making a Doodle Jump clone as a way to learn Unity, but it somehow turned into this:

So it's kinda like a first-person Doodle Jump, with randomly-generated levels. Still a bunch of work to do on making the content a bit more varied and interesting. Originally I had the platforms going straight up in a cylinder arrangement, but trying to look around and land on platforms at the same time just didn't work, so now it's more like a path.

Actually, the cool thing I've just implemented is randomly-generated music, which you can hear in action in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoMn_FWKmi4

Hah funny seeing you here - someone showed me that video recently. Really good job. Are you using some kind of toon shader? I really like the look and feel in the video.

For my own project, I started trying to figure out how to add flowing water to my terrain renderer. I'm trying to use algorithm from the ShaderX7 book but its all openGL and I use XNA, so for now I'm using something off the top of my head.

Video can be seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v8KfR5-hI0

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contains Acetone
Aug 22, 2004
DROP IN ANY US MAILBOX, POST PAID BY SECUR-A-KEY

Contains Acetone fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 24, 2020

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
The moderators of r/UCSantaBarbara just deployed this stylesheet I was working on. It's no r/Diablo but it was fun writing some automation for the tasks I was doing and prototyping some crazy concepts with regards to subreddit styling. I also had some fun drawing the pixel tower in the middle of campus. That was only because the pixel drawing app was the only Retina drawing app I have.

Learned how to use Git-flow, Heroku, a little bit of Python, and Compass/SCSS. In the end, the mods only chose to adopt this specific stylesheet that's static.

Source code here:

https://github.com/crazysim/cowboystyle

crazysim fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 23, 2012

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
I posted a link to a prototype game a while back. Ported it to Android and released on the Google Play Store. It's very basic, but it's kind of a fun time waster. There are two game modes: reflex and cone hunt. In reflex, you weave between cars on either side. In cone hunt, you try and smoosh construction cones.

Apok
Jul 22, 2005
I have a title now!
I had to make a Tennis player profiles page for work. They wanted something that would push to different domains. I did that by generating XML output.

We also needed to be able to have product links based on what every player wore. There was a database full of information - an old, lovely MSSQL database with old, lovely structure. I had to redesign that and reupload all the information.

I recently added authentication because I was proud of my work, but didn't want everyone who I shared my work with able to edit our database. It's not a great authentication system, but it works well enough.

If you're authenticated, you get to access this:

You can select items from 6 categories and add new items if they don't exist.

Edit: Just finished up the authentication system. I gave myself a nice pat on the back.

Apok fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 28, 2012

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Ari posted:

Do me a favor. What's the output for: "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." ?

That, apparently, is not an insult.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Madox posted:

For my own project, I started trying to figure out how to add flowing water to my terrain renderer. I'm trying to use algorithm from the ShaderX7 book but its all openGL and I use XNA, so for now I'm using something off the top of my head.

Cool stuff! Are you keeping two vertex buffers around for the water and land sections? Is that rectangular edge in the video just the edge of your water simulation space or is there some other effect going on?

I tried something like that recently and used water/soil flow algorithms from this paper (look at the thermal/hydraulic erosion sections). I ended up abandoning the project, but got as far as modeling the water and sand flows and linking them together by allowing moving water to pick up or drop off sand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku6gLsTH1E0

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!

PDP-1 posted:

Cool stuff! Are you keeping two vertex buffers around for the water and land sections? Is that rectangular edge in the video just the edge of your water simulation space or is there some other effect going on?

I tried something like that recently and used water/soil flow algorithms from this paper (look at the thermal/hydraulic erosion sections). I ended up abandoning the project, but got as far as modeling the water and sand flows and linking them together by allowing moving water to pick up or drop off sand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku6gLsTH1E0

Yours looks pretty good to me. Is the frame rate of updates as fast as it can be, or did you set it at that rate? The method of picking up sand and dropping it off is the same as I read in ShaderX - the paper is here - but currently I am only working on water flows and not erosion.

I use the same vertex buffer for water and land - its just a flat grid mesh. The water and land have their own heightmaps. The edge in the video is because the world is rendered in chunks and water doesn't cross over from one chunk to another. I'm not sure how to handle that, really. It seems like I need to copy data to each heightmap each frame which will suck.

Dolex
May 5, 2001

16,384 circles

Because I'm a machine learning nerd I'm calling the method "stochastic gradient descent"

It's basically a hill climber that re-positions and re-colors the circles until it matches my source image.

lots more on my flickr

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Wow that is a really cool effect... nice work! How long did it take to process that sample?

Dolex
May 5, 2001

thathonkey posted:

Wow that is a really cool effect... nice work! How long did it take to process that sample?
about a day

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Dolex posted:

about a day

Hooo poo poo. Any plans / ideas for making it go faster?

Dolex
May 5, 2001

Tres Burritos posted:

Hooo poo poo. Any plans / ideas for making it go faster?
This is "faster". I could sample the pixels at the origin and do a bunch of other "cheater" moves, but that isn't any fun. Circles go a hell of a lot faster than when I do it with triangles.

Dolex fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 26, 2012

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Madox posted:

I was playing with this last year and made a post in this thread about it that links to some very useful and easy-to-understand papers on this subject:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2841382&userid=0&perpage=20&pagenumber=121#post395611842

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing around a bit with shaders. Here's a cheese shader.

Dolex
May 5, 2001

geometry or fancy fragments?

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Fragments. I don't think my OpenGL version even has a geometry shader.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

firehawk posted:

After a weekend of hacking on my summer vacation and some slight polishing later on, this happened:

Some of you Amiga/MS-DOS oldtimers probably remember tracker modules - this is a module player implemented in JavaScript using the Web Audio API. It only supports 4 channel Amiga Protracker and 4-32 channel PC Fast Tracker modules so far, but I'll look into adding S3M/XM/IT later.

Of course, as you can see from the image - you can go and give it a try!

Only Chrome 14.0+ and Safari 6.0+ run it so far - other browsers don't yet have support for Web Audio.
Great job with this - I wrote an XM tracker awhile back and I can attest to how much fun they are to write. I've been jamming to some sweet tunes all afternoon from this! :)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
You inspired me to write my own thing: http://jsfiddle.net/magcius/wW7Nd/

Karplus-Strong String Synthesis in JavaScript.

Unfortunately, sometimes the API stops sending me AudioProcessingEvents at random and I get this horrible "stuck" sound. I don't know why.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Sorry for the double post, but this is too much fun.

http://cloud.mecheye.net/Peggle/

Audio synthesis for (a very limited subset of) Impulse Tracker, playing the Peggle soundtrack.

orbweaver
Aug 27, 2012
I made a social bookmarking / web directory type website which collects links and organizes them by tags. It has several features that I found lacking from other social bookmarking sites and web directories:
  • a karma system which has real effects, kind of like Stack Overflow
  • ability to coordinate tags so you can have subsections, for example "boston / restaurants / italian"
  • ability to filter tags, for example you can filter links tagged like "troll" or "interstitial ads"
  • a posting feature which has a pro/con layout so it's easy to see both sides of a question, with voting
  • ability to use all of these features privately, for example I use it as a bug tracking system (filter out bugs tagged "closed", tag others by severity or area of concern, etc.)
link

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Running out of features to implement on my extension language. Beta draws near:

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Madox posted:

Hah funny seeing you here - someone showed me that video recently. Really good job. Are you using some kind of toon shader? I really like the look and feel in the video.

Yeah, but it's just a standard toon shader that comes with Unity Pro, I didn't write it myself. I've tried to go for a simple, clean-cut look to everything because, honestly, I'm not a great designer or artist and it's the easiest to make look OK.

Dolex posted:

16,384 circles

Because I'm a machine learning nerd I'm calling the method "stochastic gradient descent"

It's basically a hill climber that re-positions and re-colors the circles until it matches my source image.

lots more on my flickr

This is really neat. Too often someone writes an algorithm that does something "cool", but that's really only impressive because it was done by an algorithm. This stands on its own as art.

Nition fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 31, 2012

biochemist
Jun 2, 2005

Who says we don't have backbone?
I finally have something to contribute! I built a stupid little game where you try and match a mystery Instagram pic to the user that uploaded it. I grab three random people that the user follows, and a picture from one of those three. Try and match them! I'm just barely past proof of concept right now, I want to keep consecutive score and maybe make all of this work through AJAX instead of how it is now. Oh well, it's a cool little time-waster.

I need a new name for it though.

InstaRoulette

So yeah, that was kinda fun. Knowing myself, I'll neglect this for a while and dust it off in a month or two to optimize it. Pretty cool learning experience so far though.

edit: I'm seeing a lot of bounces off of the front page, if you're getting some sort of error please let me know what you're seeing and what browser it's in!

biochemist fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 1, 2012

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

biochemist posted:

edit: I'm seeing a lot of bounces off of the front page, if you're getting some sort of error please let me know what you're seeing and what browser it's in!

I think it's "Log in via Instagram" being the only option.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Not to mention, it gets dull quickly when you're only following 3 people and are in more of the shots than not.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I made a YouTube subscribe button that shows your current Views, Subscribers, and Video count.

Here's the code:

code:
<?php
	// Justin Cook made get_string_between, such a nice simple function. Thanks!
	function get_string_between($string, $start, $end){
		$string = " ".$string;
		$ini = strpos($string,$start);
		if ($ini == 0) return "";
		$ini += strlen($start);
		$len = strpos($string,$end,$ini) - $ini;
		return substr($string,$ini,$len);
	}

if(!isset($_GET['p'])) { 
		die();
	}else{
		$username = $_GET['p'];
	}
	$url = "http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=". $username;
	$ch = curl_init();
	curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $url);
	curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER, Array("Content-Type: text/xml"));
	curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_HEADER, "Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8");
	curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
	curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_COOKIE, $m[1]);
	curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_REFERER, "http://us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/profiles/". $sen_name. "/");
	curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_USERAGENT, "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13");
	$data = curl_exec($ch);
	$stats = trim(get_string_between($data, "<div class=\"facets\">", "</div>"));
	$exploded_stats = explode("</span>", $stats);
	$subscribe_url = "http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=" .$username;
?>
Send ?p=[your youtube username] to it, and at the end you have an array called $exploded_stats with the 3 stats in it. Simple stuff.

There's some referrer stuff left over there from my PSN scraper that's not really needed.

biochemist
Jun 2, 2005

thelightguy posted:

Not to mention, it gets dull quickly when you're only following 3 people and are in more of the shots than not.

Haha one of the most interesting things I've found just from getting feedback from other people is that people use Instagram in different ways. Obviously this little game is going to suck if you follow four thousand strangers, and also if you only have two or three people you follow. I'm right around fifty or sixty people, and I know all of them personally. I guess that's something to always keep in mind when building little things like this. Oh well, I thought it was a cool little exercise, thanks for the feedback!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

A possible variant could be to let people opt in to have their stream added to the mix for other players, so it's not just the people you follow.

Plus that would make it useful as a discovery service as well, for finding streams you might like to follow.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

thelightguy posted:

A possible variant could be to let people opt in to have their stream added to the mix for other players, so it's not just the people you follow.

Plus that would make it useful as a discovery service as well, for finding streams you might like to follow.

Yeah this is a great idea. It's basically matching random hipster profile pics with images.

I agree that it needs a catchy name but stuff like Connect the Shots seems too cheesy.

biochemist
Jun 2, 2005

thelightguy posted:

That would be cool, I'd have to hook up a database.. Right now it's all just pulling directly from instagram.
There's a lot of cool things that I'd like to do, like only give ten chances and challenge a friend to beat your score or something. Yay future work!

bc87
Dec 11, 2010
I've been working on my own market log analyzer for a game called Eve Online

It's purely command line at this point. Will be using WxPython to make it pretty with GUI

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

bc87 posted:

It's purely command line at this point. Will be using WxPython to make it pretty with GUI

I don't want to piss on your bonfire here... but have you seen EMDR? I myself did some work around it a few months ago, along with a few other people, but those projects all seemed to have vanished. As I was behind the curve compared to the other projects, I stopped working on it, but I'm considering going back to it now that everybody else seems to have shut up shop.

That was from a project called EVE-Aim. At the time, the guy was complaining about the load it was putting on his webserver, and he was talking about moving it to being completely private, something he was just running for himself. I guess he went that way :v:.

MrBadidea fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 3, 2012

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

MrBadidea posted:

I don't want to piss on your bonfire here... but have you seen EMDR? I myself did some work around it a few months ago, along with a few other people, but those projects all seemed to have vanished. As I was behind the curve compared to the other projects, I stopped working on it, but I'm considering going back to it now that everybody else seems to have shut up shop.

That's pretty rad. Want to make a tool that tells me how to invest my isk like a fund manager? :v:

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009
That was half of the plan. The idea was to compare 0.0 systems with popular market hubs automatically, so you could figure out what would be likely to earn you the best profit for the time invested in moving the stuff around. It was less about investment, and more about supplying the 0.0 markets.

I know Goonswarm has something vaguely similar, but as far as I know all the data sourced for it comes from other goons, and it only tracks the core market hubs in 0.0 that Goons use vs Jita.

I had a few other things I wanted to work in there too; namely, shopping lists. Open up the site, build a list of things you want, and then send the list to a friend/your corporations logistics manager/etc. They go to the market hubs, buy all the stuff, and it tracks the wallet API of the purchaser, so they have a record of exactly what they paid for everything automatically. No more handwavey figures, you know exactly what people owe you, and more importantly, exactly who all the stuff in a jump freighter full of gear is for :v:

I had the majority of the database design and the initial processing (read feed, strip out duplicate data, determine updates vs new data) finished off, I just needed to start on the front end. At it's peak on the busiest day, the database insertion stuff was handling 2M+ incoming records an hour without a backlog, running on a reasonable-ish laptop, which I was pretty :smug: about, considering it's the first real thing I've ever developed with heavy database usage.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

bc87 posted:

I once did much the same thing. I had built up a regression model using the market data from http://eve-central.com/dumps/ to decide what the pricing should be for a certain good at a certain system taking factors like region, sec rating, distance from Jita (or other closest market hub), base Jita price, etc. I believe I had something like 9 or 10 variables to start, but I dropped a few because they were shown to not be statistically significant. Using historical data, I adjusted the weights on each factor until I had a pretty decent model. I used a small C program to parse the data dump and then spit it out in a comma delimited format for use in Excel.

For a while, I used it and absolutely cleaned up. I'd load up a freighter in Jita and then make a beeline out to some 0.5 system a few jumps from 0.0. As I went, I'd seed goods in each system per my pricing guidelines. After a while, it got kinda boring and took an hour or two to do a full reseeding run. Just plug certain values into the equation depending upon location and good and out comes the price you should set. It began to feel more like a job, so I stopped doing it (and playing all together, actually).

It is one of the few things that I've actually used my MBA for. :toot:

bc87
Dec 11, 2010

hendersa posted:

I once did much the same thing. I had built up a regression model using the market data from http://eve-central.com/dumps/ to decide what the pricing should be for a certain good at a certain system taking factors like region, sec rating, distance from Jita (or other closest market hub), base Jita price, etc. I believe I had something like 9 or 10 variables to start, but I dropped a few because they were shown to not be statistically significant. Using historical data, I adjusted the weights on each factor until I had a pretty decent model. I used a small C program to parse the data dump and then spit it out in a comma delimited format for use in Excel.

For a while, I used it and absolutely cleaned up. I'd load up a freighter in Jita and then make a beeline out to some 0.5 system a few jumps from 0.0. As I went, I'd seed goods in each system per my pricing guidelines. After a while, it got kinda boring and took an hour or two to do a full reseeding run. Just plug certain values into the equation depending upon location and good and out comes the price you should set. It began to feel more like a job, so I stopped doing it (and playing all together, actually).

It is one of the few things that I've actually used my MBA for. :toot:

Eve online is probably the only game where it has potential to feel like a second job.

chips
Dec 25, 2004
Mein Führer! I can walk!

Contains Acetone posted:

Well life got in the way. Code has now been submitted, and I've confirmed I can actually pull it down and build Release and Debug. Come check it out!

http://code.google.com/p/visual-rbm/

I've also put up the Trello board I'm using if anyone wants to track development for whatever reason:

https://trello.com/board/visualrbm/4f66455669944e074913f564

This is really cool -- I've been learning about ML recently and am keen to have my first go at a RBM. Any advice on good starting training sets?

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.
Cross-post from the Making Games Megathread... http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2711122&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=84

I posted this a while back in this thread, but have recently came back to it to make some improvements.

"Anyway, to help learn Python I've been working on a space shooter for a while. It's pretty horrible, but I'm surprised I've got as much out of it. The goal is to have ten zones with three acts each. Right now I've just got one that ends right before the boss fight I'm still trying to figure out.

If you give the game a shot but encounter some errors starting it up, copy the included file avbin.dll to your /System32 and /sysWOW64 folders. It's what decodes all the sound effects and music."

http://www.zombiemariachis.com/randomstuff/Omega.zip

The music is by Mind Necrosis Factor which is a free download at this location http://www.last.fm/music/Mind+Necrosis+Factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contains Acetone
Aug 22, 2004
DROP IN ANY US MAILBOX, POST PAID BY SECUR-A-KEY

Contains Acetone fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 24, 2020