Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feral
Jun 13, 2003

My god, look at this place. It's like a museum of failure!

Rurik posted:

After reading 14 pages of Leovinus' FF8 LP, I'm interested in playing the game again with the intention of breaking it. I'll use cards and junctions and hopefully can keep Enc-None on all the time, cause gently caress random battles. Are cards enough to have enough spells for junctions? Also, can I figure everything out for myself or do I need a guide? And is there some point in the story I shouldn't progress beyond too early if I want to max or almost max my characters?

My last playthrough of FF8 was an attempt to break the game via the card and junction system. I finished the game with Squall at level 23ish and everyone else hovering around 19, so it's definitely possible. It does mean spending hours and hours and HOURS playing Triple Triad, though. It doesn't bother me because that's one of my favorite parts of FF8 gameplay, but I'm serious when I say it involves a huge time investment.

The FF8 gameplay guide is fairly good for telling you how to get the items you need and what cards can be turned into. That said, there are a couple of typos in the book, but it only fucks up maybe 2 of the cards. You will definitely need to rely on some sort of guide, be it the official one or a GameFAQs page, because the number of items and spells in that game can get overwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Feral posted:

My last playthrough of FF8 was an attempt to break the game via the card and junction system. I finished the game with Squall at level 23ish and everyone else hovering around 19, so it's definitely possible. It does mean spending hours and hours and HOURS playing Triple Triad, though. It doesn't bother me because that's one of my favorite parts of FF8 gameplay, but I'm serious when I say it involves a huge time investment.
I myself recently tried a minimum-level playthrough, and the only one who gained a single level was Irvine late-on because I got really lazy about getting EXP while grinding Cactuars to learn abilities. You can walk over absolutely everything, but I ultimately grew bored with it and just edited in a bunch of money and items and poo poo.

FF8 is such a crap game that, unlike Star Ocean 2 or FFT, it isn't even fun to break :sigh:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Dr Pepper posted:

So guess who decided to actually do this?

First step, beat the first half of the final tale so I can actually get to Leonora.

Ahahahahahaha, good luck with that. At least grinding her up to the 70's 80's for her -aga spells won't be too difficult, and she does learn Holy at L70.

Stop will be your best friend, I imagine. Stop alone was what let her salvage an otherwise horrible team during my LP.

Make sure you load completed Palom's Tale data, because none of the new characters besides Ceodore and I think Luca are playable in the final tale if you don't load completed chapter data for the chapter that character appears in.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 27, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I myself recently tried a minimum-level playthrough, and the only one who gained a single level was Irvine late-on because I got really lazy about getting EXP while grinding Cactuars to learn abilities. You can walk over absolutely everything, but I ultimately grew bored with it and just edited in a bunch of money and items and poo poo.

FF8 is such a crap game that, unlike Star Ocean 2 or FFT, it isn't even fun to break :sigh:

Yeah, this is why I don't really agree with the arguments "Well, breaking the game is fun." Breaking the game is fun when it's something you puzzle out, but with FF8 it's harder to figure out a way NOT to break the game. It may not be Lionheart before Disc 1 is done but even just basic drawing and junctioning can wreck any difficulty the game has with a modicum of thought.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah you can trivialize the entire game as soon as they give you access to the beach outside the garden, pretty much the first area in the game. Go get water from fish fins, junction to STR, eventually make some tents into Curagas and junction to HP, done

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Azure_Horizon posted:

Bothered to talk about why the Paradigm system is a good battle system in an echo chamber.

VVVV It's the correct way of putting it.

Hey, we're in the same boat as of today.

Do you ever find it strange people would get satisfaction on wasting cash on anonymous revenge?

Like, isn't the point of a debate to prove YOURSELF right? It just seems cowardly and passive-aggressive to insult someone's stance anonymously, and you're hardly going to convince anyone...so, again, there must be this weird satisfaction in doing it.

Especially over Final Fantasy battle systems, I mean, seriously, that's just petty.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 27, 2012

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

RagnarokAngel posted:

I feel dumb asking this but can someone help me with the FF5 ancient cave hack? I applied the IPS patch with Lunar IPS and it said it worked, I load the rom up, renaming it to match the .srm file and I get 4 save files where Im on the world map and everyones at level 17 and all jobs mastered and all items/spells in my inventory. I assume this isnt right so any idea what would cause this?

Just updating people cause it might help them if theyre having a similar issue. The ROM patched fine the problem was that you have to go to the desert tile in front of you to trigger the cave, but it's a random encounter for some reason so it might not trigger on the first go. Just keep walking over that tile and it'll trigger evantually.

That said it seriously was worth the effort. I love rogue likes so this was a real blessing. If you love rogue-likes and/or the FF5 job system, this is the thing to play.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 27, 2012

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Mister Roboto posted:

Hey, we're in the same boat.

Do you ever find it strange people would get satisfaction on wasting cash on anonymous revenge?

Like, isn't the point of a debate to prove YOURSELF right? It just seems cowardly and passive-aggressive to insult someone's stance anonymously, and you're hardly going to convince anyone...so, again, there must be this weird satisfaction in doing it.

Especially over Final Fantasy battle systems, I mean, seriously, that's just petty.

Well, some goons are wimps (I neglected to write pussy in case someone called me a misogynist!) and also petty. A petty wimp with a lot of money is not a good thing.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 27, 2012

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

On the other hand whining about having an unpopular opinion and calling anyone who disagrees with you an echo chamber is really stupid.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Fister Roboto posted:

On the other hand whining about having an unpopular opinion and calling anyone who disagrees with you an echo chamber is really stupid.

Agreed!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Red and Pink text avatars are just a friendly reminder that you should really think twice before posting.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Fister Roboto posted:

Yes, I suppose so.

Not that it matters since I didn't do that, haha. Oh goons.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Elentor posted:

Have you played Guild Wars 2? The BRIGHT PINK hair color is labeled "light yellow".

Maybe Lightning is blonde and we don't know.

She is when Amano draws her.

Which isn't surprising given that Amano draws every FF character as blonde unless he's explicitly ordered not to.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

W.T. Fits posted:

She is when Amano draws her.

Which isn't surprising given that Amano draws every FF character as blonde unless he's explicitly ordered not to.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I still don't understand that design, or his in game model.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Amarant is actually Ronald McDonald from the evil dimension.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I always thought Amarant was some monster race like Quina or Freya.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Only Amarant is badass enough to paint Zeromus red and wear him like a hat

Edit: and yeah, until I saw the character design art I just assumed he was part of some crazy race that had horseshoe crabs for heads or something.

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 27, 2012

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Squaresoft Exec: Hey, Amano, you getting ready to do the FFIX character designs?

Amano: Yes, they're going to be fabulous!

Squaresoft Exec: Well, make sure at least one of them is a redhead.

Amano: ... fine.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mega64 posted:

Ahahahahahaha, good luck with that. At least grinding her up to the 70's 80's for her -aga spells won't be too difficult, and she does learn Holy at L70.

Leveling her hasn't been so bad so far. With the Level Band on she gains one every two to three fights.

Mega64 posted:

Stop will be your best friend, I imagine. Stop alone was what let her salvage an otherwise horrible team during my LP.

Stop and Slow are basically what let me plink random encounters to death with a bow. I think casting Slow on a stopped enemy actually increases the duration of Stop.

I was doing pretty well until I got to Baigan and got paralzyed to death. This made me look up and learn some things.

The Queen's Lace block's Paralysis.

And Baigan is vulnerable to stop.

Also, what terrible team was this? It's been a while since I read your LP.

Mega64 posted:

Make sure you load completed Palom's Tale data, because none of the new characters besides Ceodore and I think Luca are playable in the final tale if you don't load completed chapter data for the chapter that character appears in.

Oh trust me. I got import data sorted out.

Namely import data from every chapter 99% completed (Everything except the rare tail drops). This means I have 9 pieces of adamantite. :getin:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Harlock posted:

I still don't understand that design, or his in game model.

He's stylized and exaggerated like everybody in IX! I mean, Steiner is obviously supposed to be human and looks ridiculous too.

Amarant, aside from his weird skin tone, sorta reminds me of Middle Eastern guys in other Japanese stuff. Like Ganondorf, or the bounty from the second episode of Cowboy Bebop.

Baku fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 27, 2012

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Also, what terrible team was this? It's been a while since I read your LP.

Izayoi, Tsukinowa, Gekkou, Harley, and Leonora. Leonora was the only one above L40, the rest were L25 and, well, the Eblan 4 and Harley.

Yeah, that wasn't my favorite team.

Other than that, only other advice I have is to definitely keep on top of your equipment. I was switching stuff out constantly for my solo Edge playthrough, so you never know when something will come in handy (like the Queen's equipment, apparently).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

He's stylized and exaggerated like everybody in IX! I mean, Steiner is obviously supposed to be human and looks ridiculous too.

Amarant, aside from his weird skin tone, sorta reminds me of Middle Eastern guys in other Japanese stuff. Like Ganondorf, or the bounty from the second episode of Cowboy Bebop.

The only things that bugged me about Steiner is 1. He appears to be wearing eyeliner and 2. His armor doesn't completely cover him from the waist down, which exposes some surprisingly skinny (and hairless. For some reason I expected him to be a hairy dude, but it's Japan, where Auron has smoooooth armpits) legs.

But yeah, Amarant bugged me too. Half the time I thought his head was too heavy for him, which was why he always had a hunch.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I never saw any higher-res art of Amarant than in the game itself and as best as I could figure out his dreadlocks sprouted from the bridge of his nose and his neck bent forward at a 90 degree angle. The hunch, whatever, but the hair thing was driving me nuts.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

I feel like this could be more popular than the DS version actually, if it's not too simplistic. It's less esoteric than the 2-screen 2-person system for sure.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I decided to do one last FF5 fiesta game before it's over and here's what I get:
Monk, Monk, Thief, Dragoon

Thanks!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Fister Roboto posted:

The whole thread is an echo chamber, so it's not really stupid at all, nor is it whining.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
What you mean the thread about watching videos of people making fun of a game is full of people making fun of said game?! And you're taking it too seriously?! Well I never.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Man Leovinus had you pegged.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

g0lbez posted:

I decided to do one last FF5 fiesta game before it's over and here's what I get:
Monk, Monk, Thief, Dragoon

Thanks!

Wow, all mediocre fighter jobs. Good luck with that team!

Anyway, let's stop this potential derail and talk about how awesome the FF5 Ancient Cave hack is.

Dr Pepper posted:

As much as I love FFV, it's not a hard game by any stretch of the imagination. Once you learn how to use the job system right it becomes fairly easy.

Speaking of FFV, apparently some japanese hackers made a hack of it based off Lufia 2's Ancient cave. (That is to say, a semi-roguelike mode.)

Then these people here translated the hack.

I'm up to Level 29 of the cave, and had kind of a rough start, but made it through due to rolling Samurai and White Mage early. From there, I got some awesome loot and things just fell into place from there.

Current Status:

Bartz is my Hunter wielding a Hayate Bow, letting him nail RapidFire occasionally. His secondary is Animals to make use of Nightingale, but it's no longer necessary.

Lenna is a White Mage with Lancet, thus giving myself essentially unlimited healing, which should be loving huge considering items and especially full-recovery opportunities are very limited. I've got all the White Magic up to L4 so far except a L1 and L2 spell, but I have Cure and Armor so who cares. She also has a Gold Hairpin to further cut down MP usage.

Krile is a Knight with Counter, so yeah. Currently has a Great Sword and the Diamond Shield I found pretty drat early. She wrecks everything.

Faris is a Ninja dual-wielding two Main Gauches who currently has Image, though I had her master Geomancer in case I need Lavawalk. Gaia's pretty drat awesome early on.

Only time I came close to dying was when one of those loving BioKnights cast Bio on everyone twice in a row like a cheating bitch. Luckily, Krile barely had enough HP to run away.

I'm loving the hell out of this. I might actually beat this thing on my first try, which would be awesome.

And big kudos both to the people who made this, and the people currently translating the hack. Fantastic work on both fronts!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 28, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Mr. Maltose posted:

Man Leovinus had you pegged.

No, not really.

Nathander
Apr 23, 2008

Azure_Horizon posted:

No, not really.

Jesus Christ.

Just stop.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

As much as I love FFV, it's not a hard game by any stretch of the imagination. Once you learn how to use the job system right it becomes fairly easy.

Speaking of FFV, apparently some japanese hackers made a hack of it based off Lufia 2's Ancient cave. (That is to say, a semi-roguelike mode.)

Then these people here translated the hack.

Holy poo poo, downloading that right now, that sounds loving amazing. Someone want to put up a how-to on getting the hack running and the patch applied to it?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Fungah! posted:

Holy poo poo, downloading that right now, that sounds loving amazing. Someone want to put up a how-to on getting the hack running and the patch applied to it?

Right here, but you should make sure you grab the latest patch version here.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Mega64 posted:

Wow, all mediocre fighter jobs. Good luck with that team!

Anyway, let's stop this potential derail and talk about how awesome the FF5 Ancient Cave hack is.

I'm up to Level 29 of the cave, and had kind of a rough start, but made it through due to rolling Samurai and White Mage early. From there, I got some awesome loot and things just fell into place from there.

Current Status:

Bartz is my Hunter wielding a Hayate Bow, letting him nail RapidFire occasionally. His secondary is Animals to make use of Nightingale, but it's no longer necessary.

Lenna is a White Mage with Lancet, thus giving myself essentially unlimited healing, which should be loving huge considering items and especially full-recovery opportunities are very limited. I've got all the White Magic up to L4 so far except a L1 and L2 spell, but I have Cure and Armor so who cares. She also has a Gold Hairpin to further cut down MP usage.

Krile is a Knight with Counter, so yeah. Currently has a Great Sword and the Diamond Shield I found pretty drat early. She wrecks everything.

Faris is a Ninja dual-wielding two Main Gauches who currently has Image, though I had her master Geomancer in case I need Lavawalk. Gaia's pretty drat awesome early on.

Only time I came close to dying was when one of those loving BioKnights cast Bio on everyone twice in a row like a cheating bitch. Luckily, Krile barely had enough HP to run away.

I'm loving the hell out of this. I might actually beat this thing on my first try, which would be awesome.

And big kudos both to the people who made this, and the people currently translating the hack. Fantastic work on both fronts!

I was doing really well with Bartz as a Samurai with a 2Handed Kazekiri, Faris as a Dragoon with a Trident, Krile as a Geomancer/White Mage with a Tinkerbell I found early on, and Lenna as a Ranger/Ninja with two Main Gauches.

Then on the...39th or 40th-ish floor I ran into a Kuzar and it killed everyone in one hit. :stare:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
drat, I need to get in on this FFV romhack. Sounds awesome.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Dragoon is really important in this hack. Lancet lets you replenish your limited resources much easier

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vita Owners:

You can play FF7, FF8, FF9 on your Vita now! In classic Sony fashion it's a bit weird, in some regions you can download them straight from the Vita and in others you have to transfer them over from a PS3. You can also play the PS1 versions of the earlier games but do yourself a favor and play the GBA ports instead.

There's good non-FF Squaresoft stuff from the PS1 that has been confirmed to work on the Vita too, Front Mission 3, Vagrant Story, and Xenogears all work. Chrono Cross doesn't yet.

Time to start that new FF9 playthrough

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Just putting this out there that I'm putting good money on an IOS port of Final Fantasy 4 within a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Please post pics of the FF games on Vita to show us what it looks like on the screen? :)