Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

lol babby's first snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Lex Kramer posted:

I never read this thread, just came here to ally oop, find out I'm in it

speaking of which

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

we use a business key as key (because riak) at work because it saves us some queries: we can ask for the record we want instead of querying to see if it exists

and now that leveldb has a bloom filter in riak 1.2 that might actually be more efficient than querying to see if it exists lol

well in sql business keys should still be keys, just not the unique identifier of the row

crud operations being performed on something as flimsy as a business key is dangerous

now i've never used riak but in couchdb each document gets a versioned uid on insert, and you can operate directly on data w/ that uid

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

javascript cookbook > definitive guide imo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

well in sql business keys should still be keys, just not the unique identifier of the row

crud operations being performed on something as flimsy as a business key is dangerous

now i've never used riak but in couchdb each document gets a versioned uid on insert, and you can operate directly on data w/ that uid
in our case the business key is for an append-only set; not formally treated as a g-set crdt but it is

if we do have parallel updates (to different nodes in the same datacenter or different datacenters) we can merge them because crdts let you do that

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Jonny 290 please either be trolling or learn about normalisation and db design in general before you become "the previous guy" so popular in the coding horrors thread.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
reading monocQc's book for the last few days :cool:

I'd forgotten it was written by someone who posted here.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
zombie wulf suck my fuc

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we have db people anyawys. im doing weekend poo poo so i get all the mistakes out without a paycheck being on the line

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

fidel sarcastro posted:

javascript cookbook > definitive guide imo

all the cookbooks are generally better than the long form detailed specs of the entire language

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

oh right I forgot this exists, it's gonna own

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Jonny 290 posted:

we have db people anyawys. im doing weekend poo poo so i get all the mistakes out without a paycheck being on the line

i say, get paid to learn db dogshit

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Coffee Jones posted:

Oh yeah that reminds me I kinda want to try erlang sometime

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

have you considered python and sqlalchemy hope this helps

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Coffee Jones posted:

nice he copied bonus

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
more like banus if u ask me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

my stepdads beer posted:

have you considered python and sqlalchemy hope this helps

yes. also trepanning myself. not sure which way the wind will blow

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Jonny 290 posted:

yes. also trepanning myself. not sure which way the wind will blow

python isn't the worst. it's how i got my start back in the day.

but going perl -> python is like pulling teeth it does so many stupid things i hate hate hate

unfortunately perl is lacking support as a web platform so if you're looking to do something as a web project without paying for a vps you gotta do python/ruby for cheap hosting

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

lets everyone talk about orms

what the deal with orms? they seem kind of stupid to me. what do you think? lets chat.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

rotor posted:

what the deal with orms? they seem kind of stupid to me. what do you think? lets chat.

i haven't had a chance to really use one. concept seems solid when you've got objects with mappable relationships

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

rotor posted:

is this part of your observational comedy routine rotor?

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

rotor posted:

let's. orms are dumb because there is no reliable way to turn a relational structure into an object-oriented one. everyone has probably read the vietnam of computer science already but it's good.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
lol lemme click on programming advice that ends in .aspx

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

EVGA Longoria posted:

python isn't the worst. it's how i got my start back in the day.

but going perl -> python is like pulling teeth it does so many stupid things i hate hate hate

unfortunately perl is lacking support as a web platform so if you're looking to do something as a web project without paying for a vps you gotta do python/ruby for cheap hosting

surely most sites support cgi-bin :3:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

they're great if performance doesn't matter and you are lazy, and your schema is trivial

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

they're great if performance doesn't matter and you are lazy, and your schema is trivial

yeah this is sort of the sense i get. i do mostly front end work so ive never really worked with one but it seems this is true.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
orms are dumb. use a statement mapper instead

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
#use warnings;
#use strict;
thing of beauty right here

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
In swedish, orm means snake.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Wheany posted:

In swedish, orm means snake.

byxa orm

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

JawnV6 posted:

code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
#use warnings;
#use strict;

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

JawnV6 posted:

code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
#use warnings;
#use strict;

yeah

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

rotor posted:

I think orms are pretty cool because they make it easier to program stuff but at the cost of performance, so basically for webdev they are great, not sure about other things.

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.

EVGA Longoria posted:

Write PSGI compatible applications that you can run under cgi to start and scale up to run as application server on a VPS when need it.

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

Tiny Bug Child posted:

let's. orms are dumb because there is no reliable way to turn a relational structure into an object-oriented one. everyone has probably read the vietnam of computer science already but it's good.

I like how he spends a whole page explaining what happened in vietnam, I might not have gotten his metaphor otherwise.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
ive come to really like ruby a lot lately, its... fun to use??

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

tef posted:

It always makes me happy when I think of a reply but don't post it but tef posts what I'm thinking

Sweeper posted:

ive come to really like ruby a lot lately, its... fun to use??
It definitely has its issues but it's really fun and makes you feel like a cool smart dude

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
use core data

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

het posted:

it's really fun and makes you feel like a cool smart dude

Beer does that too, and it has a similar effect on code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

Write PSGI compatible applications that you can run under cgi to start and scale up to run as application server on a VPS when need it.

always writing psgi compatible apps, but running them under cgi is shiiiiiiit