Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I wonder how easily you could turn that whole box into a Word Bearers force. The religious paraphernalia and robes on the Terminators make that seem much more plausible looking at the bare plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
So what's considered the best vanilla SM Contemptor load out? I'm thinking of getting one for a burgeoning Salamanders force and planning on magnetizing the arms but what should I get first?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

BlackIronHeart posted:

So what's considered the best vanilla SM Contemptor load out? I'm thinking of getting one for a burgeoning Salamanders force and planning on magnetizing the arms but what should I get first?

Mortis, Assault Cannons or Auto Cannons. Just depends if you want more damage or more range. Remember it gets skyfire if it doesn't move that turn so you can ruin flyers if you stay still.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
They appear to be doing-away with the large, clunky chaos backpacks. The ones on the chosen look more like corrupted backpacks which suits the whole chaos asthetic. I like it.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

not lame! posted:

They appear to be doing-away with the large, clunky chaos backpacks. The ones on the chosen look more like corrupted backpacks which suits the whole chaos asthetic. I like it.

A good thing! For my Word Bearers, if the standard PA box doesn't get redone, I'm pretty sure I'll mix in bits from the Possessed into them. That would close the aesthetic gap between the old style troops and the newer Lord/Chosen.

not lame! posted:

With the addition of the Crimson Slaughter, chaos appear to be heading to the "red phase" that chaos in Warhammer Fantasy went through a few years ago. The other legions look so much better, although I am having a hard time telling too much of a difference between Red Corsairs, World Eaters, Word Bearers and Crimson Slaughter.

I don't get why they picked a Word Eaters-wannabe color scheme for the Crimson Slaughter. At least it was simple enough to differentiate a Red Corsair (black), a WE (brass/gold), and a WB (silver) before.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Fil5000 posted:

My starter set order is showing as "dispatched" on GW's site - I wonder if it's actually on it's way...

I've just had an email saying it has shipped. However, i seem to recall from previous preorders that that means nothing.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BlackIronHeart posted:

Mortis Kheres with CML, hands down

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!

Mango Polo posted:

A good thing! For my Word Bearers, if the standard PA box doesn't get redone, I'm pretty sure I'll mix in bits from the Possessed into them. That would close the aesthetic gap between the old style troops and the newer Lord/Chosen.

I'll be doing a similar thing - the Chaos Space Marine troops just look so boring. I've tried to make them more interesting with Space Wolves' parts and better helmets but it's not helped too much.

I could just go cultist heavy instead :) Hope they release a (non-Forgeworld) cultist conversion set because I have 3 x Cadian squads and 2 x Cadian Command Squads doing nothing (although I think a conversion kit would probably work better on Catachans judging by the aesthetic on some of the cultists).

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Lungboy posted:

I've just had an email saying it has shipped. However, i seem to recall from previous preorders that that means nothing.

Basically, yeah. The GW stores are under orders to not release it until the 1st, regardless of whether they have yours sitting behind the counter. LGSs *could* potentially release them early but they get lower priority in their shipments and GW would burn them if they found out.

Still might try coming around on Friday to my store to see if I can get mine early. :shobon:

not lame! posted:

I could just go cultist heavy instead :) Hope they release a (non-Forgeworld) cultist conversion set because I have 3 x Cadian squads and 2 x Cadian Command Squads doing nothing (although I think a conversion kit would probably work better on Catachans judging by the aesthetic on some of the cultists).
I'm really eager to learn the options available to cultist units so I can set about making special weapons models (if possible) and work out some Cadian conversions using bitz from the 4th Ed. CSM box (tons of mutated heads and arms), the plaguebearer box, and greenstuff.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 29, 2012

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The UK page even says that orders will be available from local GW stores on the 1st, and that if you choose home delivery, they will be sent on Friday (essentially meaning you won't get it until monday at the earliest).

The standard edition is now up on the US site.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Lungboy posted:

The UK page even says that orders will be available from local GW stores on the 1st, and that if you choose home delivery, they will be sent on Friday (essentially meaning you won't get it until monday at the earliest).

The standard edition is now up on the US site.

Yeah, that's why I was confused by it saying it was out for delivery. Assume that because it's a preorder they just make it say that immediately.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

They really need a new CSM plastics multipart kit. The current one was never fantastic and the box set models make them look like deep fried turds.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Crackbone posted:

They really need a new CSM plastics multipart kit. The current one was never fantastic and the box set models make them look like deep fried turds.

I really want to start a CSM force when the new Codex hits but if they aren't getting a new PA kit I don't know if I will. They are so drat fugly, every time I look at them I frown. The Berserkers make me laugh, though, so it balances out my humours.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

PierreTheMime posted:

I'm really eager to learn the options available to cultist units so I can set about making special weapons models (if possible) and work out some Cadian conversions using bitz from the 4th Ed. CSM box (tons of mutated heads and arms), the plaguebearer box, and greenstuff.

Wouldn't Catachans be better for cultisting up?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

OB_Juan posted:

Wouldn't Catachans be better for cultisting up?

Catachans are far too hardcore and 80s to fall to Chaos. Every time an evil thought pops into one of their heads they recall an animated PSA related to it wherein the Emperor appears to Catachan children doing something stupid/dangerous/traitorous and explains to them the error of their ways. Works every time.

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.

PierreTheMime posted:

Catachans are far too hardcore and 80s to fall to Chaos. Every time an evil thought pops into one of their heads they recall an animated PSA related to it wherein the Emperor appears to Catachan children doing something stupid/dangerous/traitorous and explains to them the error of their ways. Works every time.

"Hello, this is your Emperor with a public service announcement."

"This, here, is you."

:v:

"This is you on Chaos."

:commissar:

"Any questions?"

[This PSA brought to you by the Ordo Hereticus and the Imperial Commissariat]

Tailfnz fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 29, 2012

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Check the 360 of the DW sergeant, there are some pretty nasty design problems. Look at the left shoulder, the rear vents and the bottom of the left leg.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lungboy posted:

Check the 360 of the DW sergeant, there are some pretty nasty design problems. Look at the left shoulder, the rear vents and the bottom of the left leg.

I see the hosed up vents and the leg derp, but what's wrong with the shoulder?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The shoulder pad disappears into the solid main body armour :downsrim:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Phyresis posted:

I really want to start a CSM force when the new Codex hits but if they aren't getting a new PA kit I don't know if I will. They are so drat fugly, every time I look at them I frown. The Berserkers make me laugh, though, so it balances out my humours.

Ehhh, the PA troops are not that bad with a bit of effort and a good paintjob.

Havocs could really use a new box though. The best thing would be a box like the Grey Knight PA one, with tons of weapon options for multiple types of units.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Good paint jobs can make almost any lovely GW miniature look good, except for Galrauch and Nagash. I'm hoping that there's a 5-man box set for Chosen/Marines/Havocs, it would make a lot of sense and I'm used to paying $33 for five guys now :suicide:

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Maybe I haven't been in the hobby long enough to know any better, but what's so bad about them? They look fine to me, regardless of paint job :shrug:.

EDIT: Except those silly top knot things, gently caress those.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Sykic posted:

Maybe I haven't been in the hobby long enough to know any better, but what's so bad about them? They look fine to me, regardless of paint job :shrug:.

I personally still really like that look. The sculpts are older so the edges aren't as crisp and the details can be a little muddled, but overall they're still in the "good models" category for me.

I've got three full boxes of em waiting for the new codex to drop so I can kit them out. I've had the boxes unopened for five years. :suicide:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Sykic posted:

They're okay, but they're nearly a decade old and you can tell. The designs are really bland - it's a regular marine with some pointy bits and arrows on them. There's so much interesting stuff you could do with torsos, for example - like the rib cage torso on one of the box set CSMs. They're all wearing those goofy gloves. The helmet designs are pretty bland, and those topknots and giant goofy horn designs don't do them any favors.

Basically, compare what they've done on the box set stuff. Obviously you can't replicate the dynamic poses in a multipart kit, but they're obviously a huge jump in detailing, both in the actual plastic and the aesthetics. All of the Marine upgrade kits are way nicer.

It really would make sense for GW to go down that same path - do a really nice upgraded CSM kit, then do upgrade packs for the various cult troops.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I actually dig the current CSM models. They were resculpted and recut in 2006 or so and they still look good to me. The kit is full of options, but they just don't compare to how cool the Dark Vengance CSM are.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

my last game of 40k dot gif

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Kaysette posted:

:suicide: loving dice lords!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Odds gods.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
My last game involved 2 squads of wyches failing a 4 inch and a 5 inch charge against some wolfguard terminators.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Kaysette posted:

Right click, save as...

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Fuck_you_mindshackle_scarabs.gif

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

I personally still really like that look. The sculpts are older so the edges aren't as crisp and the details can be a little muddled, but overall they're still in the "good models" category for me.

I've got three full boxes of em waiting for the new codex to drop so I can kit them out. I've had the boxes unopened for five years. :suicide:

I just want more of the Lord and Chosen aesthetic :3:

But really, the models are pretty barebones and it would be really nice to have updated Havocs.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Mango Polo posted:

Ehhh, the PA troops are not that bad with a bit of effort and a good paintjob.

Havocs could really use a new box though. The best thing would be a box like the Grey Knight PA one, with tons of weapon options for multiple types of units.

Are these yours? These are fantastic.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Ghost Hand posted:

Definitely one of the better looking plasma coils I've seen.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Winson_Paine posted:

True story!

Here is a bad picture of a failed army conversion project when I wanted skaven marines at one point:

EDIT: gently caress, that is a blurry rear end picture of my marine bikes. Here is the ratspeeder.

Yeah, that is right.

This is definitely something and you should post more pictures of it.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Ghost Hand posted:

No :(

But I am using these as an example for mine!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Where did you find them ?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Where did you find them ?

I'll post the link once I get back home, but the whole army looks pretty stellar.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Played a pretty sad game last night. I got all my turrets in for my razorbacks and rushed to get them together so I can try out a GK assback list with my ghost knights. I played a different chaos marine player at 2k. He had a vindicator, 3 squads of plague marines (2 in rhinos), a sorcerer, and 3 squads of termies, one of them a 10 man squad. I had 6x assbacks with strike squads, 3 rifledreads, a bare bones inquisitor, a meltavet box with a Primais Pskyer and a manticore. I went first a 5 objective big guns never tire and just shot and shot and shot him off the board. It didn't help that his termies came in piecemeal but he was tabled on turn six with me standing on 4 objectives with all secondaries.

Gotta say I love GK shooting. gently caress getting close with guard and hoping for the meltas or plasma to do something with incidental flashlight fire getting some kills. 420 roll buckets of dice that actually hit until they roll ones err' day. The manitcore kind of sucked it up after the first shot, but the first one pretty amazing, putting two hull points on the vindicator and a rhino(and the rhino was stunned) and blew up the other one. It made waiting for a 5 or 6 out of a psycannon or assback much more pleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

GW did a blog post focused on the Helbrute today and posted an image showing the unassembled model:

• Locked thread