Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

RageBeef posted:

GGs to you too, you almost had me a few times when you almost took both Spencer and Morrigan out because god forbid my fraudulent Doom have to come in and be something other than an assist. I was surprised I did as well those games though, considering I haven't really played the game for the better part of a month. Still need to figure out a better way to approach with Spencer and Doom Missles so I'm not leaving myself to get airthrown and or Doom to eat a combo.

One thing that blows about fighting Spencer and Doom for me is that it's really hard to happy birthday them. I can sniff the assist call and do barrage but it'll only hit doom and if I go for any extra damage I'm risking Wolverine.

I'm not sure exactly what you need to work on with your Spencer. One thing would be not dropping combos because of missiles. I noticed that you would drop stuff from missiles so I wasn't afraid to take a chance on hitting you when missiles were out. I was able to hit you a lot, but I feel like that was because both of us had a gameplan of "call good neutral assist, go ham with rushdown character". With some more measured gameplay either of us could have beaten the other. You might have beaten me cleanly with your Spencer if you'd had a horizontal assist that could take out drones.

You did a really good job timing your Doom calls with your Morridoom. I was trying to find a good time to happy birthday you or at least get your Morrigan stuck in blockstun while I hit Doom but the opportunity never presented itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe

Between breakups and layoffs my time to grind Marvel lately has been a little slim. But here, have some more banners: http://imgur.com/a/CaOu6

edit: whoops - we still ebros rite?

edit2: URL updated with better quality images

Correnth fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 29, 2012

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl
I will most likely play in the PS3 tournament tomorrow night. I had fun the one time I played.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Correnth posted:

Between breakups and layoffs my time to grind Marvel lately has been a little slim. But here, have some more banners: http://imgur.com/a/BZczw

You quoted the old signups but I'll forgive you since you gave me backgrounds with transparency. If only irfanview didn't turn it to black when I hosed around with the colors. Thanks man I'll download them later so don't remove them from imgur yet.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Does anyone play Deadpool? I think I figured out something really good last night.

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Dren posted:

Does anyone play Deadpool? I think I figured out something really good last night.

I have him on my old team from vanilla that I stole from Tatsu. X-23/Deadpool/Sentinel. Please share!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
My Deadpool bnb is:
c.L c.M s.H xx Quick Work H, dash S, j.H bolo, Quick Work H, dash S, j.H j.S, Katanarama H xx Chimichangas and then the finish depends on if you're in the corner or not.

I started doing this combo because s.H is -3 on block, making it much safer than c.H or S. Unfortunately, it whiffs on small characters so it's not safe on everyone. I had the idea that I could confirm that someone blocked and avoid doing the cancel to Quick Work H but it turns out that was a stupid idea because I never can do it. Quick Work H, when used in that string, is unsafe and Deadpool can be hit during the Quick Work animation.

Lately I realized that a much more powerful string for Deadpool is c.L c.M s.H xx Quick Work M xx teleport. With Quick Work M it's a true blockstring. If you hit, you can follow up with a dash S to continue the combo like normal no matter which teleport you use. If you miss, you have the option to teleport anywhere. You could go behind them for another mixup, to the middle to stay in front of them, or far far away to zone them. I did the frame math the other day and the teleport is pretty close to safe if you time it right. If I understand frame data correctly you can get something like 36 frames max blockstun out of Quick Work M. Teleport is 25 frames so you can teleport safely and even have time to do another move when you get out of the teleport.

So to sum up, I believe I found a blockstring that is easy to confirm on hit and turns into a mixup on block. If you combine this with combos with teleports in them in order to manage the failed teleport...

Dren fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 29, 2012

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
So... Spencer has a TAC infinite he can do even after an air S and OTG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH9S1KBLEc0

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Tonight :flaccid:

Thursday August 30th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/ru7irobyo4

:itjb:Xbox:itjb:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/h2mmu3rmdx

Fake Edit: That would be his TAC infinite oh Spencer...

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl
Registered!

Now I need to get in the lab a bit.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, it looks like I won't be home during the tournament now. :( I've got a group project and my group wants to meet at 6:30. I don't think I'll be back in time. (Central time zone so I'd have to be back by 8).

Lemon Groove
Feb 19, 2008

Ive seen some awful smacks,
and its always a woman,
yapping away there.
Ill give it a shot but ive only been playing for like two weeks lol i expect to get stomped on!

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
i have to work late :smith:

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Acute Hepatitis posted:

i have to work late :smith:

I hope you understand what that means...

First Place Bumble Chump Spider-Man/X-23/Rocket Raccoon.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Im in for PS3 tonight, PSN id kenkeremath get at me

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes

Ybrik posted:

nooo

more time to practice my spider-man/modok/phoenix team :getin:

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."

MY ANIME GF posted:

Im in for PS3 tonight, PSN id kenkeremath get at me

You should join us in the IRC room, SynIRC, #SA-MvC3

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Dren posted:

VGBootCamp featuring IGT Unknown and DJ Huoshen. This week's episode is a guide to Dante with Green Ace from Florida.

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/329700304
This is on again if you enjoyed it (and can tolerate Huoshen talking, as a lot didn't during Summer Jam). Focus this week is on defense.

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Results:flaccid:

http://challonge.com/psmgoons16
First Place:

Ybrik posted:

:smug:
Second Place: AnimeGF Nemesis/Wesker/Doctor Doom
Third Place: ErikThe Viking Wesker/Doctor Doom/Strider

http://challonge.com/xbmgoons16
First Place: BurningHM Nova/Phoenix Wright/Taskmaster
Second Place: Micgael Taskmaster/Hulk/Doctor Doom
Third Place: Your name here just buy an Xbox

P4uuuuuuuuu. Naw I just think people are getting kinda bored if you have an idea to jazz up the tourneys let me know.

Next week Thursday September5th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

:itjb:XBOX:itjb:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/sh5ruzks8r

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/6x8qpog7sy

Asobu
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!
Soiled Meat
I think part of the reason the tourny is dying down is because people don't want to participate if they know they won't get far. It's always the same 3 winners. So maybe if some people used unfamiliar teams to give everyone else a fighting chance, it could be more fun for everyone.

Also, I KNOW a prize would definitely get more people in here.

Just a thought.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."

Ybrik posted:

Results:flaccid:

http://challonge.com/psmgoons16
First Place:
:smug:
Second Place: AnimeGF Nemesis/Wesker/Doctor Doom
Third Place: ErikThe Viking Wesker/Doctor Doom/Strider

http://challonge.com/xbmgoons16
First Place: BurningHM Nova/Phoenix Wright/Taskmaster
Second Place: Micgael Taskmaster/Hulk/Doctor Doom
Third Place: Your name here just buy an Xbox

P4uuuuuuuuu. Naw I just think people are getting kinda bored if you have an idea to jazz up the tourneys let me know.

Next week Thursday September5th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

:itjb:XBOX:itjb:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/sh5ruzks8r

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/6x8qpog7sy

obviously we need money match side bets to make this poo poo hype

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
A random select tournament could be entertaining

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Its simple: Any winners can no longer use that character + assist in future tournaments (So Wesker + samurai edge not ok but swap him to whatever the gently caress other assists and your team is golden again). After 3 tournaments minimum you are forced to use completely different characters.

Also, one thing that I think fighting games need to do (capcom would benefit the most in MvC3 and SFxT): Allow pairing a flash drive with a stick. Either via hub or by saying next access device plugged in after <foo> is that player's memory. Reason being: Plug in stick + card, if you have a game profile, load up button configs/ gems/ heroes and heralds cards/ whatever. Takes what is a monster to set up tourney wise down to a 2 minute "Doublecheck everything loaded proper." Bonus points if you add in user stats so we can have someone plug in a stick and it says "Honzogonzo" in the player's corner.

Reason being is I would love the next expansion of MvC3 to do heroes and heralds again, and I think it would be tourney viable if it didn't take forever on a full deck of cards. Heroes and heralds was nice, if not a bit wonky, and I just want to see some ridiculous poo poo go down in addition to the vanilla tourneys.

Wozbo fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 31, 2012

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

I'm not sure if random select is the answer since while you can occasionally get a match that is funny and tense most of the time its just day 1 dropped combos. Picking teams that you don't normally use could be fine as long as you switch to a different one as soon as you become proficient. I'm not going to have a weekly prize but maybe a seasonal one, I'd need to think of something worth 15 weeks. I need more opinions though, all of the opinions.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Opponent picks your team for you

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
Wild idea: a community banner ad, linking to a post in this thread about Throwdown Thursdays?

I say this as someone who keeps meaning to jump back into the weekly tourney, then I forget about it until 11 PM that Thursday. And I've done this for every tournament except the first one. :v:

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Smeego posted:

Wild idea: a community banner ad, linking to a post in this thread about Throwdown Thursdays?

I say this as someone who keeps meaning to jump back into the weekly tourney, then I forget about it until 11 PM that Thursday. And I've done this for every tournament except the first one. :v:

Not a terrible idea though I'm not sure how many goons who have marvel and still play don't at least occasionally check the thread. Also if you keep having trouble remembering in time bookmark the thread and make it yellow or red. I bump it every Thursday so you should be able to attend more frequently.

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

Super Rad posted:

Should Firebrand die early on I also have a THC with Frank/Ammy that leads to guaranteed level 5, good luck to me to land a hit with lvl 1 Frank though.

For getting hit confirms with Lv 1 Frank, c.H, j.M and zombies are your friend, seriously.
j.M in particular is a great jump normal with range and beats out a lot of things, and you can usually confirm it to j.M j.M j.H *land* j.M j.M j.M j.H *land* S, then do whatever.
With Ammy assist you could probably go for an air grab too then team super to level him up quickly.

For the random tourney, I'd be down if I happen to be off that Thursday (I haven't been off work lately on Thursdays. :( ).

quote:

Also, one thing that I think fighting games need to do (capcom would benefit the most in MvC3 and SFxT): Allow pairing a flash drive with a stick. Either via hub or by saying next access device plugged in after <foo> is that player's memory. Reason being: Plug in stick + card, if you have a game profile, load up button configs/ gems/ heroes and heralds cards/ whatever. Takes what is a monster to set up tourney wise down to a 2 minute "Doublecheck everything loaded proper." Bonus points if you add in user stats so we can have someone plug in a stick and it says "Honzogonzo" in the player's corner.
Most likely, the reason this doesn't happen is because well...the same reason why Capcom Japan insists on having the lovely sort of button config instead of pressing the buttons like BB/P4A/Skullgirls/3SO/etc. That and maybe a combination of not wanting to conflict their interests with making money with arcade games that do have profile cards and such.

FSLink fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 31, 2012

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

MY ANIME GF posted:

Opponent picks your team for you

Activate xfactor, don't start the match until it burns out. Then fight it out using assists only.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

BumbleChump posted:

I think part of the reason the tourny is dying down is because people don't want to participate if they know they won't get far. It's always the same 3 winners. So maybe if some people used unfamiliar teams to give everyone else a fighting chance, it could be more fun for everyone.

Also, I KNOW a prize would definitely get more people in here.

Just a thought.
The new community in San Diego that just started up is experimenting with something like an Elo rating system, that could be something to try to drum up new interest possibly.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvm1DwQHCaE

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
I'm on vita a lot these days, really wish there was cross play as it takes a long time finding player matches. Usually get a rank 8 guy who plays like a rank 2 anyways so might as well open the flood gates.

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl

I normally don't watch many episodes of Assist Me! but that was loving rad and I'll be watching those. That Captain Commando costume was loving awesome.

Shivadas Glass
Dec 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Durr. Of course it's back H. I'm still kinda newish to fighting games so certain things still confuse me. I like Taskmaster but he's my weakest link right now and his combos require a certain finesse I think I still lack.

http://www.twitch.tv/williamssessions/b/329926035

from about 4:18:00 on theres some pretty good taskmaster play

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Lothire posted:

I'm on vita a lot these days, really wish there was cross play as it takes a long time finding player matches. Usually get a rank 8 guy who plays like a rank 2 anyways so might as well open the flood gates.

Add me, Wozboh. I play on vita more than ps3 nowadays due to my work schedule.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Shivadas Glass posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/williamssessions/b/329926035

from about 4:18:00 on theres some pretty good taskmaster play

that dude is sick, i just don't understand why he keeps doing his long rear end combos long after getting 5 meters. Just kill the character!

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
I just noticed the xbox tournament is back... uh well technically back, as I'm the only one signed up. Can't wait to win by default :smug:

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
So I picked up Strange last week, and while I'm really digging the guy I am just god-awful at him. Currently playing him on second with IM's Repulsar Blast to cover the startup of my Eye so I can start tossing all sorts of magic crap at the other guy.

Basically so far I have to hope that whoever I'm fighting lands on my Eye so I can go into Impact Palm loops, or just teleport around them like a fool mashing on c.L c.L s.fH in an attempt to start a combo. Anyone here give him a shot? I'm trying to work in m.Daggers into crossup teleport for the mixup, but it's seeming like unless I switch Tony to Unibeam (which I am loathe to do, I love Repulsar for Spidey), I'm really not going to have much chance of getting in on folks with the guy.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Merton Blask posted:

So I picked up Strange last week, and while I'm really digging the guy I am just god-awful at him. Currently playing him on second with IM's Repulsar Blast to cover the startup of my Eye so I can start tossing all sorts of magic crap at the other guy.

Basically so far I have to hope that whoever I'm fighting lands on my Eye so I can go into Impact Palm loops, or just teleport around them like a fool mashing on c.L c.L s.fH in an attempt to start a combo. Anyone here give him a shot? I'm trying to work in m.Daggers into crossup teleport for the mixup, but it's seeming like unless I switch Tony to Unibeam (which I am loathe to do, I love Repulsar for Spidey), I'm really not going to have much chance of getting in on folks with the guy.

You may have seen it already but there's some good mixups here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMGWSXazUik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

The Rokstar posted:

The new community in San Diego that just started up is experimenting with something like an Elo rating system, that could be something to try to drum up new interest possibly.

fwiw it seems like the top players (or, at least, DiosX) loving hate it.

• Locked thread