Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Elephanthead posted:

What is $20? One pack of smokes or one cigar? Designing things to accommodate smokers is long gone. You will see a tofu storage tray before ashtrays ever become standard again.

The linked "official Ford parts ashtray." Which goes in the same cupholder my ash-bottle does, thus not improving ergonomics on any level, and probably still getting in the way of my elbow as I shift. What would be wrong with a small compartment in front of the shifter that could be used as an ashtray, or a coin holder/other storage area for non-smokers? I don't even want one of those lovely lighters, because they suck rear end -- just a place for me to drop my ash and stub out a smoke in a reasonably convenient location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Rest in peace, cars with more ashtrays than seatbelts.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Rabble posted:

Oh yeah, the cupholders are definitely made for the slush box drivers but that's going to be a V8 problem too. Gotta agree with the interior quality on the premium package though, everything is well thought out and feel great in the hand. My favorite feature of the car has to be the built in wide angle mirrors in the side view assembly, that should be standard safety equipment on all cars IMO.

One other thing to note about the V6 vs V8, the transmissions are different. I believe the V8 utilizes a skip shift program that gates off a gear if the car thinks you should skip it for better fuel economy, the V6 is a basic box made in china.

They got rid of the skip shift

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

PT6A posted:

What would be wrong with a small compartment in front of the shifter that could be used as an ashtray, or a coin holder/other storage area for non-smokers?
It's because it's not the fifties anymore and smoking is being pushed out from most angles.

You really shouldn't be this shocked or outraged.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hypnolobster posted:

It's because it's not the fifties anymore and smoking is being pushed out from most angles.

You really shouldn't be this shocked or outraged.

Except it's a car company, not the government or health authorities. They shouldn't have any problem with me choosing to smoke. Why not make, for example, a sunglasses holder in a convenient location in the dash or console, which could be fitted with a $20 metal insert to turn it into an ashtray instead of taking up a cupholder, which still ends up with your ashtray being located very inconveniently?

It's not so much that I simply must smoke when I'm driving (in fact, I only do it on road trips), just that it's a very small addition that would have improved the design of the cockpit. There are any number of small items you might want to have close to hand when driving, and there's no decent place to put any of them apart from the cupholders, where they get in the way of the shifter, which is how this whole discussion began.

And you can say what you want about the age of the smoker coming to an end, but my parents bought their cars at the same time as I bought my Mustang, and each of them has an ashtray for each passenger. Obviously it's not that huge of an imposition.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Again, Smoking is unpopular in the public eye, and lots of companies have stopped designing to accommodate it, despite being just car companies.
Nobody in Ford is in a design meeting talking about adding a sunglasses holder in the middle of the dash so that they can offer a special smokers ashtray insert!

Besides, we're talking about a car company that perpetually puts cupholders in the worst possible place anyway. I think almost all car companies put the cupholders in terrible places for stickshift cars.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Hypnolobster posted:

Nobody in Ford is in a design meeting talking about adding a sunglasses holder in the middle of the dash so that they can offer a special smokers ashtray insert!

Also because the sunglasses holder goes on the passenger-side sun shade.

Hypnolobster posted:

Besides, we're talking about a car company that perpetually puts cupholders in the worst possible place anyway. I think almost all car companies put the cupholders in terrible places for stickshift cars.

My last ride had the cupholders between the shifter and the stereo and they were terrible there too. Is there an actual good place for cupholders in a car with a small interior?

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Is there an actual good place for cupholders in a car with a small interior?

BMW got it right with the latest 3er

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Is there an actual good place for cupholders in a car with a small interior?

My old forester had a slide-out cupholder on the dashboard right below the a/c vents and it was great in the sense that it didn't interfere with the shifter, but then it had the downside that any condensation or spills fell right onto the a/c controls and the stereo headunit.

I think the center console (like s197s currently have) is probably the best spot overall but they're all a compromise.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
So I've got all these ideas for mods because, you know, mustang. Anyway I was thinking about starting with a CAI and Generic tune from Americanmuscle.com, anyone have any experience with them?

Edit: well, either that or some new headers and exhaust because the stock ones are all ugly looking and I want my engine bay to be shiny.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 1, 2012

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

optikalus posted:

That is an e90 and theyre pretty lousy. The new one has normal bucket style ones embedded in front of the shifter that look like they would work ok.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

optikalus posted:

Those are the worse loving cup-holders ever designed. Hardly anything fits in it, and what few things do, are at a pretty high risk of falling anytime you change directions a little quickly.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Rabble posted:

So I've got all these ideas for mods because, you know, mustang. Anyway I was thinking about starting with a CAI and Generic tune from Americanmuscle.com, anyone have any experience with them?

Edit: well, either that or some new headers and exhaust because the stock ones are all ugly looking and I want my engine bay to be shiny.

Don't use AM for your tune.

Blow By Racing
VMP Tuning
Lethal Performance
Brooks Speed

Any of the above, and several others, will do a better job for the same price. Check out the Modular Fords forums if you haven't already so you can do your own research. A local tuner is more convenient, but a competent remote tuner is just as good.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I had my supercharged Mark VIII dyno tuned at VMP and not only did it not explode it was very street able.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

oRenj9 posted:

Those are the worse loving cup-holders ever designed. Hardly anything fits in it, and what few things do, are at a pretty high risk of falling anytime you change directions a little quickly.

And yet they managed to include an ashtray exactly where I think it ought to go in the Mustang! My word, how did they ever bear that extreme expense and inconvenience?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

PT6A posted:

And yet they managed to include an ashtray exactly where I think it ought to go in the Mustang! My word, how did they ever bear that extreme expense and inconvenience?

By charging 10 grand more then a mustang?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Blow By Racing
VMP Tuning
Lethal Performance
Brooks Speed

Any of the above, and several others, will do a better job for the same price. Check out the Modular Fords forums if you haven't already so you can do your own research. A local tuner is more convenient, but a competent remote tuner is just as good.

Are these tuners all the same?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/x3-custom-tuner-2011gt.html
http://www.blowbyracing.com/sct-xcal-2.html

They say SCT on them.. so can you get tunes from different places and use one tuner?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Are these tuners all the same?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/x3-custom-tuner-2011gt.html
http://www.blowbyracing.com/sct-xcal-2.html

They say SCT on them.. so can you get tunes from different places and use one tuner?

The device is the same, the tune is different. You can buy the device from whoever you want, but it's generally cheaper to buy it from the person doing the tune.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
In a way, I'm thankful for the bad positioning of the cupholders. It reminds me that I should be paying more attention to my driving/shifting than to my beverage.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think that the Charger rental I got had worse cupholder positioning than the V6 mustang I got as my next rental but they were both about equally as bad.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Mustang MuscleShirtThread: The cupholder/ashtray location is a legit test parameter

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

If it's anything like the GM version (and it probably is), removing it can be as simple as unplugging the solenoid. That solenoid probably also saved you a gas guzzler tax, so don't hate on it too much.

Unfortunately it isn't, you need to disable it via software. It's the one reason I got a tune.

Other option is rev it out in a first a little bit when you start out and you'll never see it.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kronix posted:

Unfortunately it isn't, you need to disable it via software. It's the one reason I got a tune.

Other option is rev it out in a first a little bit when you start out and you'll never see it.

Really, a tune is so worthwhile that a handheld tuner should be a first mod purchase for anyone reading this thread anyway.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

frozenphil posted:

Really, a tune is so worthwhile that a handheld tuner should be a first mod purchase for anyone reading this thread anyway.

Wait, really?

I always thought that a tune was sort of worthless if you didn't have any mods. The only reason I was looking at one was because of the slight discount you get when you buy it with the CAI. Don't tell me all those fuel economy and HP gains are real.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Rabble posted:

Wait, really?

I always thought that a tune was sort of worthless if you didn't have any mods. The only reason I was looking at one was because of the slight discount you get when you buy it with the CAI. Don't tell me all those fuel economy and HP gains are real.

You're leaning out so fuel economy should be better. Also, by default Ford limits available torque below 3k rpms for what is likely drivability concerns and there's always some power left on the table so yes they're most likely exaggerated but real

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Rabble posted:

Wait, really?

I picked up 2mph and .5 second in the quarter mile and 2mpg on the street with a canned tune. Hand held tuners are worth more power, dollar per horsepower, than any mod short of forced induction. Once you add in the other benefits like the ability to change shift points, read diagnostic codes, and data logging they easily pass every other mod to the top of the list.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I'm pretty ignorant about this but it seems like a magic bullet. There has to be some sort of downside, right?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Necc0 posted:

I'm pretty ignorant about this but it seems like a magic bullet. There has to be some sort of downside, right?

Well, a bad tune has the potential to destroy your engine while giving Ford an excuse to deny a warranty claim on it. There are plenty of good reasons for manufactures to be conservative with their tunes. Emissions and drive-ability being two big ones.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Necc0 posted:

oRenj9 posted:

Well, a bad tune has the potential to destroy your engine while giving Ford an excuse to deny a warranty claim on it. There are plenty of good reasons for manufactures to be conservative with their tunes. Emissions and drive-ability being two big ones.

These are the only downsides that I can think of as well. This is also why I don't recommend American Muscle/Bama for your tune. I'm sure they've fixed their issues by now, but they popped enough engines when the Coyote was new (hey guys, let's turn off these knock sensors since we don't know what they do and just jack up global timing! What could go wrong?!) and there are so many other quality tuners that I'm hesitant to recommend American Muscle/Bama.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
There is a reason Ford set the parameters the way they come. Those reasons may not be applicable to your driving or your location. Does Ford send the cars to Denver with a different tune then LA?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

There is a reason Ford set the parameters the way they come. Those reasons may not be applicable to your driving or your location. Does Ford send the cars to Denver with a different tune then LA?

I feel the same way about this. I don't know why Ford would leave 2 mpg on the table unless there was a drat good reason. Maybe it does have something to do with having the most useability in all climates and air densities. Do canned tunes take location into consideration?

I think lethal performance has you drive around with the device plugged in so they can get baseline recordings before they send you the tune. Something like that would seem to be the most benefit next to going to a dyno shop in person.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

One note on fuel economy - the EPA test is a retarded system that only tests very specific situations, and is easy to game. Unfortunately, there are a lot of things that will increase real world fuel economy that don't improve the test results at all, so they don't end up on the car.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Elephanthead posted:

No, nearly everything is emissions-tuned these days.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

frozenphil posted:

Blow By Racing
VMP Tuning
Lethal Performance
Brooks Speed

Know of any good tuners that aren't in Florida? Say, San Diego?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Would this be true for a mod motor mustang as well? I'd be interested in 2mpg and 2mph. :D

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Rabble posted:

I feel the same way about this. I don't know why Ford would leave 2 mpg on the table unless there was a drat good reason.
Ford values reliability over everything else and are willing to sacrifice a little power and fuel mileage toward that goal. I have over 100k miles on a canned tune with no adverse effects.

Locobono posted:

Ask around on the Mustang forums. I'm not familiar with California.

Krakkles posted:

Would this be true for a mod motor mustang as well? I'd be interested in 2mpg and 2mph. :D
It works better on mod motors because of their greater reliance on computers, so yes. My car is a 2003 GT.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Locobono posted:

Yeah, NSFabrication.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

frozenphil posted:

It works better on mod motors because of their greater reliance on computers, so yes. My car is a 2003 GT.
What's a good handheld tuner? What do you use?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

frozenphil posted:

Ford values reliability over everything else and are willing to sacrifice a little power and fuel mileage toward that goal. I have over 100k miles on a canned tune with no adverse effects.

Ask around on the Mustang forums. I'm not familiar with California.

Which exact tune do you use and is your engine a stock 3-valve 4.6 modular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Krakkles posted:

What's a good handheld tuner? What do you use?
I like SCT, but Diablo makes a good one too. Go with whatever your tuner uses.

A.o.D. posted:

Which exact tune do you use and is your engine a stock 3-valve 4.6 modular?
SCT XCAL III that I bought it in like, 2005 or so. I have a 2003 GT so I have a 2 valve 4.6 modular. Other than the tune I only have a CAI, x-pipe, and cat back. The tune I'm using is the stock canned tune from SCT as I got a bitchin deal at an NMRA race where SCT had a booth set up. I paid $225 instead of $379 for the tuner. Barring a deal like that you are better off buying the hand held tuner from your tuner as the price is the same as retail and they will usually include tunes that are more optimized than SCT's tune.