Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Okay gently caress reading the missed backlog, I'll just jump back in the thread.

If you haven't talked to Kankri as Latula, you should. It's hilarious in a kind of sad way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was already glazing over his text but did he friendzone himself? :stare:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SynthOrange posted:

I was already glazing over his text but did he friendzone himself? :stare:

Yes he did. He is very much not interested in romance I guess.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

King of Solomon posted:

Yes he did. He is very much not interested in romance I guess.

Kankri is a self-diagnosed Internet asexual: he's clearly got romantic feelings and wants to pursue them, but is too obsessively passive to do anything about it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gabriel Pope posted:

Kankri is a self-diagnosed Internet asexual: he's clearly got romantic feelings and wants to pursue them, but is too obsessively passive to do anything about it.

He is very much an internet asexual, I agree. I just don't think it's passivity that does it. He seems to be so into the concept of being aromantic that he actively shoots his romantic prospects in the foot (in about twenty paragraphs, because god drat can that kid talk.)

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

King of Solomon posted:

(in about twenty paragraphs, because god drat can that kid talk.)

Now I'm imagining memos full of Past Kankrit lecturing Future Kankrit on futurenormativity and reminding him to check his temporal privileges. Trigger warning, this conversation may include chronoslurs such as "pasthole."

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

creationist believer posted:

Now I'm imagining memos full of Past Kankrit lecturing Future Kankrit on futurenormativity and reminding him to check his temporal privileges. Trigger warning, this conversation may include chronoslurs such as "pasthole."

And with the way the Vantas tend to operate, that's not completely outrageous. Incredible.

Also, no T in Kankri.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The Latula / Kankri conversation from Kankri's perspective is really loving adorable IMO

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

King of Solomon posted:

Also, no T in Kankri.

Oops.

Also, the green serpent bones you find in the beginning... Is this a reference to Calliope's symbol? Apparently they played a major role in Beforus and Alternia's mythology.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

"Pasthole" is the sort of word I've always needed, but never knew existed. :allears:

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Also, the green serpent bones you find in the beginning... Is this a reference to Calliope's symbol?

Nope.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
Does anyone think that maybe these 3 walkaround flashes will comprise all of A6I3? I mean that's a pretty solid amount of content, and we would probably have a chance to catch up with every character.

Also the line between the "main" part of A6 and the "intermissions" is super blurry anyway.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Kakumei posted:

Porrim Porrim please Porrim anything Porrim that would be excellent thank you in advance!
I noticed you already have a rather good Porrim avatar (and I'm incredibly bad at reading this thread) so I'll assume you don't need anything from me now.

Saradiart posted:

If you could whip up a Kankri one, I'd appreciate it.
Whipping it up now.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

starfish prime posted:

Does anyone think that maybe these 3 walkaround flashes will comprise all of A6I3? I mean that's a pretty solid amount of content, and we would probably have a chance to catch up with every character.

Also the line between the "main" part of A6 and the "intermissions" is super blurry anyway.

I dont think we'd get a chance to meet with John or Jade, whatever lets them interact with the furthest ring is inscrutable.

In any case I doubt these new characters will grow on me until we're able to see them interact more, so I hope Hussie fleshes everyone out a bit more. I'm not really feeling any of the new characters yet, though I'm sure that would change if they're given their own screentime. I also want to see more about Dave, Rose and the Meteor trolls, and how they've grown in the past year.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Bug found. Open box with horse in it as green gown chick, switch back to Meenah, give horse to crying Hussie in crater, he exclaims about how you got him a horse, then he follows you around.

Which is fun if you bring him around to meet Hussie in a box and Hussie flinging off edge of castle.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I dont think we'd get a chance to meet with John or Jade, whatever lets them interact with the furthest ring is inscrutable.

We might get a seperate scene with them regardless, probably in non-game format. Last I recall we've kind of gone half and half on showing things from both sides of the kid split in these intermissions and might continue to do so. Unless the Huss is running out of ideas for things to show them doing on the battleship other than slowly losing their sanity from lack of human interaction and getting cabin fever. (On second thought, I've seen too many hilarious fan comics/images of just that, so that's no excuse.)

Ammat The Ankh posted:

In any case I doubt these new characters will grow on me until we're able to see them interact more, so I hope Hussie fleshes everyone out a bit more. I'm not really feeling any of the new characters yet, though I'm sure that would change if they're given their own screentime. I also want to see more about Dave, Rose and the Meteor trolls, and how they've grown in the past year.

Given we were promised to get to control Dave at some point, I don't doubt we'll get our wish.

J.theYellow posted:

Bug found. Open box with horse in it as green gown chick, switch back to Meenah, give horse to crying Hussie in crater, he exclaims about how you got him a horse, then he follows you around.

Which is fun if you bring him around to meet Hussie in a box and Hussie flinging off edge of castle.

Erm, which part of that is a bug? That's something you can do normally. Getting Huss all the way to the door password screen makes a treasure box with one last item appear in the final level.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Prison Warden posted:

If you haven't talked to Kankri as Latula, you should. It's hilarious in a kind of sad way.

Talking to Porrim as Kankri is even better. Apparently the only way to get Kankri Karkat-mad is to try and mother him.

Midnight Raider posted:

Erm, which part of that is a bug? That's something you can do normally. Getting Huss all the way to the door password screen makes a treasure box with one last item appear in the final level.

Because Porrim is the one who got the horse, and yet she can't leave that part of the map.

Also, if Hussie is following Meenah around when she grinds the rail down, he disappears.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

DaveKap posted:

I noticed you already have a rather good Porrim avatar (and I'm incredibly bad at reading this thread) so I'll assume you don't need anything from me now.

I'd loving love a Porrim avatar if possible. :allears:

glasseye
Aug 29, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So has anyone pointed out that Porrim is the Beforan equivalent of a men's rights activist?

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

She's more of a legit feminist, which is what makes her such a good foil for Kankri; she's concerned about actual oppression while he's obsessed with righting wrongs that are completely irrelevant.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Kankri is just concerned with being a more socially aware person than everyone else, showing off how sensitive to other people's problems he is. You can compare and contrast this with Karkat, who is genuinely interested in finding out other people's problems and then fixing them by cursing furiously at them.

The ancestors really are inferior versions of the cool trolls.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

J.theYellow posted:

Because Porrim is the one who got the horse, and yet she can't leave that part of the map.

Also, if Hussie is following Meenah around when she grinds the rail down, he disappears.

It's not a bug, the game just doesn't bother giving the different characters different "inventories"* so you can't cheat yourself out of some sweet Huss action just because you got the horse hitcher with a different character. One of the item descriptions even pokes fun at the fact that none of the items are in any way character specific.

*Also you don't really have an inventory, it's probably just a flag that is triggered when you get the horse hitcher.

glasseye
Aug 29, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Loden Taylor posted:

She's more of a legit feminist, which is what makes her such a good foil for Kankri; she's concerned about actual oppression while he's obsessed with righting wrongs that are completely irrelevant.

It's implied strongly that there's no actual oppression against women in Beforus except the Jadebloods' duties. There's one very specific case where they're at a (possible) disadvantage, even though they run the world. Doesn't that sound like men on earth?

Mystic Mongol posted:

Kankri is just concerned with being a more socially aware person than everyone else, showing off how sensitive to other people's problems he is. You can compare and contrast this with Karkat, who is genuinely interested in finding out other people's problems and then fixing them by cursing furiously at them.

You can tell Kankri really does believe what he's saying, and even if he gets some sort of self-satisfaction from being the most sensitive and aware, that'd only be part of why he does it.

I see it as more the Sufferer/Kankri has an inherent need to right wrongs, but there are so few wrongs in Beforus that he has to resort to furious nitpicking and hypersensitivity. Even though it's the same impulse that led him to heroically resisting, inspiring, and becoming a martyr in a different environment. His dilemma is kind of how I view heart-in-the-right-place social justice warriors. Rebels without a real cause.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Oh goddamnit, I can just imagine this and it's the best thing. They start out civil, then as they delve deeper into Future Kankri's temporal privilege things start to break down. They still talk with the same pretentious lexicon, but now they are louder. Eventually, confident in the privacy of this exchange, and them both being him anyway, they just blow out into full Karkat mode and start shouting vast expletives at each other.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

The whole blood spectrum thing really is a huge facet of Troll society (more-so than gender for them), but that doesn't mean that Kankri's way of approaching it is productive.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Saradiart posted:

If you could whip up a Kankri one, I'd appreciate it.
I think you should use this avatar I made because it took me forever, I think it's hilarious, and it taught me things about my gif animator that I never knew... and make me want to use a new gif animator.

Also, try to make it right-justified. I'm curious to see if it looks perfectly centered before Karkat shows up.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I'd loving love a Porrim avatar if possible. :allears:
Anything specific? My preference is to just resize the one where she's tongue-banging her fingers, make it face right, and give you that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

We don't know much about troll genders other than that they apparently serve no reproductive purpose. If you're gonna speculate about the legitimacy of Porrim's pet issue, you should begin with a hypothesis explaining why trolls have masculine and feminine phenotypes.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

DaveKap posted:

I think you should use this avatar I made because it took me forever, I think it's hilarious, and it taught me things about my gif animator that I never knew... and make me want to use a new gif animator.

Also, try to make it right-justified. I'm curious to see if it looks perfectly centered before Karkat shows up.

That is fairly fantastic. Now to find an appropriate quote.

e: I forgot to justify it :negative:

Saradiart fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 1, 2012

Eikre
May 2, 2009

glasseye posted:

It's implied strongly that there's no actual oppression against women in Beforus except the Jadebloods' duties. There's one very specific case where they're at a (possible) disadvantage, even though they run the world. Doesn't that sound like men on earth?

Apparently purple and indigo castes tend to be male, and since there's only one fuchsia monarch but lots of bluebloods that she delegates power to, there's room for complaint.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Anything specific? My preference is to just resize the one where she's tongue-banging her fingers, make it face right, and give you that.

Classy! That would be aces on the cake.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

glasseye posted:

Troll society is literally run by an immortal demon that gets off on abusing women. It's a legit complaint on her part.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Hey DaveKap, would you mind making an avatar of Latula smiling? That would be so R4D.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

glasseye posted:

Someone before made a comparison to Kankri's case being similar to "Well England is run by a Queen, it's not like there can be any problems with sexism over there", which makes a lot of sense.

As mentioned, the Empress delegates a lot of duties to the bluebloods, and a lot of them are male, and this can result in similar problems. Even worse in the case that it's not like any little troll girl can be Empress, only the rare Fuschia bloods can, so the fact that Troll society is a matriarchy doesn't automatically make it a feminist funground.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Boogaleeboo posted:

Troll society is literally run by an immortal demon that gets off on abusing women. It's a legit complaint on her part.

Yeah but if you discount the violence in Alternian society LE doesn't have any more influence. Certainly not any that target women specifically (other than his two troll servants).

Beforan and Alternian societies had achieved more or less complete gender equality as far as we've seen, Jadebloods aside.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lord English did not have any influence over Beforus, only Alternia. We don't know what his ultimate intentions with Alternia were, either.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Bongo Bill posted:

Lord English did not have any influence over Beforus

Sure he did, it's why they had to scratch their session. He glitched their session, making it unwinnable, and forcing them to scratch it. Leading to the more brutal troll society we become aware of. He doomed their more peaceful existence to oblivion so he could create one that was more brutal and oppressive.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Saradiart posted:

e: I forgot to justify it :negative:
It still looks fantastic!

HalfHazard posted:

Hey DaveKap, would you mind making an avatar of Latula smiling? That would be so R4D.
I assume this is what you want!

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Classy! That would be aces on the cake.
Aww yea gurl.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 1, 2012

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Thanks DaveKap! I've got a good feeling about this.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

glasseye posted:

It's implied strongly that there's no actual oppression against women in Beforus except the Jadebloods' duties.

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

DaveKap posted:

I assume this is what you want!

Perfect, thanks much :hfive:

e: Not seeing Porrim as an MRA mirror image, unless the mirror image includes that she has an actual point.

And if any Beforus troll is going to be an actual MRA, it'll be Ampora, as a guess.

HalfHazard fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 1, 2012