Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Listerine posted:

If you can wait a week, I'm getting either the 60" or 65" ST50 and will report back about whether or not I like the set.

I can wait indeed.

I'd really like to know about the infinite black/louver stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

toplitzin posted:

I can wait indeed.

I'd really like to know about the infinite black/louver stuff.

I'm not very technical though, so I'll probably just be reporting back whether or not I like it, compared to my 5 year old Samsung plasma.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Let me pose another conundrum at ye.

So, my one-HDMI-port TV. Whenever I cycle through AV modes, I got these: normal channel, EXT1, EXT2, FAV (my actual dvd player), YPBR (xbawx), HDMI (hd cable box). I'm getting my HD media player tomorrow and of course I want to hook it up to HDMI. Suppose I put a splitter cable on that baby, will my TV show two HDMI modes or will that whole cable thing be pointless? How do I choose the input? My TV being a 4 year old HD-ready, LG parts no-name. Thanks!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Mr Underhill posted:

Let me pose another conundrum at ye.

So, my one-HDMI-port TV. Whenever I cycle through AV modes, I got these: normal channel, EXT1, EXT2, FAV (my actual dvd player), YPBR (xbawx), HDMI (hd cable box). I'm getting my HD media player tomorrow and of course I want to hook it up to HDMI. Suppose I put a splitter cable on that baby, will my TV show two HDMI modes or will that whole cable thing be pointless? How do I choose the input? My TV being a 4 year old HD-ready, LG parts no-name. Thanks!

A splitter won't work. You need an actual HDMI switcher.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Thanks for that! Gonna look for a switcher.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

TraderStav posted:

Just wanted to bump this again to see if there is any insight people may have.

There are settings for sync that you can adjust on the 6200, so the 6500 may be similar. Home -> Settings -> Sound -> AV Sync is tweakable.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Veinless posted:

There are settings for sync that you can adjust on the 6200, so the 6500 may be similar. Home -> Settings -> Sound -> AV Sync is tweakable.

Thanks for the reply, I'm not getting much on here or AVS. That setting doesn't exist on my 6500, unless there was a firmware update I don't have. That may not matter though as I ran some more testing last night. I again tested the built in speakers and think I may have been wrong about them, they were in sync last night with my cable box, and not so much with my HTPC. The HTPC could have been playing a file with sync issues of its own though. So I ran a test :science: by disconnecting the optical output and instead running the Uverse box through HDMI THROUGH my Sony soundbar subwoofer and switching it through there. Bingo bango, it worked great. This has the negative effect of reducing the ease of use by the spouse and guests (although I have a Harmony remote to offset that, it doesn't work stunningly with the Sony soundbar so we often have to resort to grabbing that remote) since the switching will be done there instead of the TV.

The challenge I face now is that I have my TV on the wall with the wires running through the walls and the components are hidden away in another room. I just ordered some more HDMI cables from Amazon as I want to keep the ones attached to the TV intact for future use. I'll just have to pull up the main HDMI and then rerun the others. Will be a headache, but I think it'll finally be worth it!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So apparently i've been playing too much NCAA 13 on my new gt50. I've got some significant retention going on. Am I screwed or will it work itself out?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

wandler20 posted:

So apparently i've been playing too much NCAA 13 on my new gt50. I've got some significant retention going on. Am I screwed or will it work itself out?

It'll work itself out, I'm sure. I mean you have to REALLY REALLY try to gently caress up a plasma with retention nowadays. I mean, like, leave it on for days at a time on pause.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm not sure this is the right thread, but I'm trying to help my father with his new Samsung 3D TV(ES8005) and I've downloaded a trailer for Avatar in 3D where the frames are side by side in an MKV file. Can I stream this through a Playstation 3 or what can I do?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Thanks for the reply, I'm not getting much on here or AVS. That setting doesn't exist on my 6500, unless there was a firmware update I don't have. That may not matter though as I ran some more testing last night. I again tested the built in speakers and think I may have been wrong about them, they were in sync last night with my cable box, and not so much with my HTPC. The HTPC could have been playing a file with sync issues of its own though. So I ran a test :science: by disconnecting the optical output and instead running the Uverse box through HDMI THROUGH my Sony soundbar subwoofer and switching it through there. Bingo bango, it worked great. This has the negative effect of reducing the ease of use by the spouse and guests (although I have a Harmony remote to offset that, it doesn't work stunningly with the Sony soundbar so we often have to resort to grabbing that remote) since the switching will be done there instead of the TV.

The challenge I face now is that I have my TV on the wall with the wires running through the walls and the components are hidden away in another room. I just ordered some more HDMI cables from Amazon as I want to keep the ones attached to the TV intact for future use. I'll just have to pull up the main HDMI and then rerun the others. Will be a headache, but I think it'll finally be worth it!

Following up: I reran and did all the hdmis through the Sony soundbar, everything works perfect now. Didn't fix the problem, but found another solution. :)

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
I have a sort of unpredictable fault with my Samsung LCD, which is an LN-T4065F purchased in 2008. When I turn it on, it clicks then plays the little start-up tune, then one of two things will happen:

1) The screen immediately turns on, but will only display multicolored streaks, sometimes with a gap of grey. When this happens, I turn it off, wait ten seconds, then turn it back on, resulting in the next case.

2) The screen does not come on, and the set goes into a sort of multiple start-up cycle which can last for up to a minute before it will display anything.

In the latter case, once an image is displayed, there will usually be a lot of pink and white dots over it as well as some kind of fluctuating green distortion. These can be gotten rid of by once again turning it off, waiting ten seconds, then turning it back on.

Obviously any warranty the set might have had is long since expired, so I'm willing to try pretty much anything to get rid of this problem. A professional repair would probably cost as much as a new TV at this point.

CrandleBerries
Oct 21, 2005
ITT Tech graduated ninja
Im also looking at getting a 42" LED TV around the 500-600 budget range. I have a Costco membership and would prefer Vizio or Samsung. Has anyone purchased a budget TV from Costco recently?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

CrandleBerries posted:

Im also looking at getting a 42" LED TV around the 500-600 budget range. I have a Costco membership and would prefer Vizio or Samsung. Has anyone purchased a budget TV from Costco recently?

The best deal at Costco, hands down, is the Panasonic U50 50" plasma for $650.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I just got a 42" Vizio M series for $550 at my local Costco. Couldn't be happier with the picture. I'm pretty indifferent towards the internet apps, but the Neflix one looks decent.

Here's the Tv's page from Vizio

http://store.vizio.com/m420kd.html

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

If you are already used to plasma, it won't be an issue. Nothing about what he is talking about is unique to Panasonic, just the general look of plasma. He's talking about the different decay times for the various colors. So, if you have a white image that shifts a lot, one color (say yellow) decays as a slower rate than the rest of them so you may see some color flashes. This is endemic on all plasmas to a certain extent.

Either it got better on mine as it aged (which is possible) or my vision has compensated as I really don't see it anymore. The brain is lovely about inventing or deleting information as necessary.

Also, the Panasonics all have 600hz subfield drive as well.

do you mind if I ask what settings you have your ST50 calibrated at?

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
It's been a while since I've bought an HDTV, but does Sony still have the highest quality product? I'm under the impression that it's Sony at the top, Samsung/Sharp/etc in the next tier, and then pretty much anyone else after that.

I'm willing to overpay if it means I'm getting a superior product that I'll use for the next 5 years. My Sharp Aquos from 2007 is still treating me very well, but now I want a bigger and newer LED TV. 3d is stupid, so I don't care about that, nor do I care about any kind of add-ons like wifi, etc.

Also, I see a lot of TV's that are really really thin compared to others. Does that come at a premium or mean anything significant other than "this tv is really thin and cool looking"?

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
Any opinions on this Vizio?

http://store.vizio.com/e422vle.html

$489 at my local CostCo. I'm updating from a laughable ancient CRT (with built-in VHS!) so I'm sure it will be like the arrival of a god in my living room, but still, would appreciate any insight.

Argali fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 3, 2012

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

savesthedayrocks posted:

I just got a 42" Vizio M series for $550 at my local Costco. Couldn't be happier with the picture. I'm pretty indifferent towards the internet apps, but the Neflix one looks decent.

Here's the Tv's page from Vizio

http://store.vizio.com/m420kd.html

I've read some weird reviews on the M series LED TVs. The Wal-Mart near me has the M420SL for $598, and I'm wondering if I'm better off going for an LCD at that price point. Something about that whole "bargain LED" level makes me skittish to pull the trigger.

So if anyone can chime in with advice, I'm looking at:

1. Vizio M420SL for $598, Wal-Mart. (Not sure if this is available at my CostCo.) http://store.vizio.com/via-hdtvs/m420sl.html

2. Vizio E422VLE for $489, CostCo. http://store.vizio.com/e422vle.html

3. Sony BRAVIA KDL40BX450 for $448, Amazon. My father has an older KDL40V4150 and I really love his TV. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006U1VGBA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

As I mentioned, some of the reviews of the Vizio M420SL give me pause, especially the complaints about lovely sound quality.

Argali fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 3, 2012

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Argali posted:

I've read some weird reviews on the M series LED TVs. The Wal-Mart near me has the M420SL for $598, and I'm wondering if I'm better off going for an LCD at that price point. Something about that whole "bargain LED" level makes me skittish to pull the trigger.

So if anyone can chime in with advice, I'm looking at:

1. Vizio M420SL for $598, Wal-Mart. (Not sure if this is available at my CostCo.) http://store.vizio.com/via-hdtvs/m420sl.html

2. Vizio E422VLE for $489, CostCo. http://store.vizio.com/e422vle.html

3. Sony BRAVIA KDL40BX450 for $448, Amazon. My father has an older KDL40V4150 and I really love his TV. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006U1VGBA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

As I mentioned, some of the reviews of the Vizio M420SL give me pause, especially the complaints about lovely sound quality.

I can't exactly compare the two because mine is a KD vs a SL (this is the problem with buying Tv's in my opinion since different stores have different models). I can say this, I set my tv up for a couple of minutes while I was configuring my stereo and the sound wasn't too bad, but it was only college football. The consensus is most TV's with built in sound aren't going to be that great.

I don't know if you have a Costco by you or not, but a costco membership is like $60 so maybe it would break even for a better TV spec wise (1million to one contrast ratio vs 200k to one)

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

savesthedayrocks posted:

I can't exactly compare the two because mine is a KD vs a SL (this is the problem with buying Tv's in my opinion since different stores have different models). I can say this, I set my tv up for a couple of minutes while I was configuring my stereo and the sound wasn't too bad, but it was only college football. The consensus is most TV's with built in sound aren't going to be that great.

I don't know if you have a Costco by you or not, but a costco membership is like $60 so maybe it would break even for a better TV spec wise (1million to one contrast ratio vs 200k to one)

My parents have the membership, so I just glom on to them when I'm around (they don't live too far). I'll probably head out on an expedition and check out what they have in the CostCos in Hazlet and Marlboro, NJ.

I was just talking to my neighbor and she was extolling Samsung and Vizio...sigh. I really wish I had some kind of in-between knowledge here, but literally this is the first TV I'm purchasing in 10 years. (I had a big Sony Wega for years that a friend gave me after he bought a 50" Sony plasma.)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Listerine posted:

I'm not very technical though, so I'll probably just be reporting back whether or not I like it, compared to my 5 year old Samsung plasma.

Did you pull the trigger?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
My ST50 arrived today and it is amazing

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Koirhor posted:

do you mind if I ask what settings you have your ST50 calibrated at?

Mode: Custom
Contrast: 76
Brightness: 59
Color: 43
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Warm 2
CATS: Off
Video NR; Off

Pro Settings:

Color space: Normal
W/B high R: -7
W/B high G: 0
W/B high B: -2
W/B low R: +12
W/B Low G: 0
W/B Low B: +3
Black Extension: 0
Gamma Ajustment: 2.6
Contour emphasis: Off
Panel Brightness: Mid
AGC: 0

Advanced Picture:

Mosquito NR: Off
Motion smoother: Off
Black level: light

Adjust and tweak to preference. To my eyes it seems very natural with great shadow detail and inky black.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I looked through the thread for this but didn't find anything relevant. Apparently my apartment complex provides basic cable for free but no box or premium channels. I have a 40" Sony lcd and I'm wondering if there is a way that I can upconvert the coax signal and output in in HD (like a coax in-hdmi out). I would just rent a box from the cable company, but they require that you open a complete account to do that (~$75/month).

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know what could cause and how to fix a problem with my HDTV? We recently bought a floor model 3D LG HDTV 60 inch. I've only had it for a little less than six months now so it's still fairly new.

My problem is that occasionally a 1 pixel line stretches from the top all the way to the bottom of the screen. It's normally just past the half way point on the right side but rarely it will be in a different spot. The line isn't always there and seems to pop up sometimes but then other times it will go away for months at a time. I can't really tell what color it is. Sometimes it shows up as a black line but then other times on white backgrounds it's barely even visible.

I did a bit of research and some people said that if you tap on the display with your finger you can tap it out. That hasn't worked for me. Anyone knows what causes it and if there is a fix for it? If not I'm going to have to call it in for repair I guess. Thanks ahead of time to whoever takes the time to reply.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
How are newer plasmas for image retention? I had a Pioneer quite a few years back and while you didn't have to worry about burn-in that much, it would keep ghost images around for a little bit and that always bugged me. It's pretty much the main reason I'm leaning towards a LED LCD, because I'd be using it for gaming and don't want HUDs being retained etc.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

EdsTeioh posted:

I looked through the thread for this but didn't find anything relevant. Apparently my apartment complex provides basic cable for free but no box or premium channels. I have a 40" Sony lcd and I'm wondering if there is a way that I can upconvert the coax signal and output in in HD (like a coax in-hdmi out). I would just rent a box from the cable company, but they require that you open a complete account to do that (~$75/month).

If you want full HD of whatever your cable company is, you'll be stuck paying the extra money. Otherwise, just plug the coax in from the wall and do a scan, you most likely will have the local channels in HD. For example, for a couple years now I've only subbed to internet via Comcast and got my locals (and for a long time until last month got basic level channels) free due to QAM tech stuff. I just went to the internet/tv package and in order to access all the USA/TNT/MTV type channels in HD I am stuck paying an extra $10 for the "technology fee."

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Coffee Wolf posted:

If you want full HD of whatever your cable company is, you'll be stuck paying the extra money. Otherwise, just plug the coax in from the wall and do a scan, you most likely will have the local channels in HD. For example, for a couple years now I've only subbed to internet via Comcast and got my locals (and for a long time until last month got basic level channels) free due to QAM tech stuff. I just went to the internet/tv package and in order to access all the USA/TNT/MTV type channels in HD I am stuck paying an extra $10 for the "technology fee."

So using an HD TiVO wouldn't pull the signal and upconvert it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tivo's don't work with clear QAM. None of their functions work at all with cable unless there's a cable card.

I'm unclear on why you don't just hook the cable directly to the TV? Pretty much every TV out there has a coax input and can read analog CATV channels and some do clear QAM as well so you could get the unencrypted digital channels.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

bull3964 posted:

Tivo's don't work with clear QAM. None of their functions work at all with cable unless there's a cable card.

I'm unclear on why you don't just hook the cable directly to the TV? Pretty much every TV out there has a coax input and can read analog CATV channels and some do clear QAM as well so you could get the unencrypted digital channels.

I am doing that, the sd signal just looks like poop on my tv. Guess I'll just be content with free cable, although some sort of dvr would be awesome.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EdsTeioh posted:

I am doing that, the sd signal just looks like poop on my tv. Guess I'll just be content with free cable, although some sort of dvr would be awesome.

It's going to look like crap because it's analog SD. There's no polishing that turd. If you spend like $4k for an external video processor you'll likely get it a tiny bit sharper with slightly less noise, but it's always going to look like warmed over rear end.

If you want a DVR with something like this, look for a used series 2 tivo with lifetime.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

EdsTeioh posted:

look for channels with a dash, those are the HD.

IE: 13-2, 2-1 and so forth. Those are usually the HD Broadcast stations (NBC, CBS, etc)

Part 2: Bull, can you talk about the louver technology on the ST50 and if it makes a big differnce vs the non louvered U50? If you notice that is.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
So I've got a bit of an issue. My previous two apartments allowed TVs to be mounted but the current one does not. I'll be moving again in six months but in the mean time, I'd like to use my LG 50" plasma TV [LG50PK250]. I have not used the pedestal for the TV yet and my TV knowledge is lacking but I just unpacked everything and I can't seem to figure out how the hell to mount the TV on the pedestal.

The TV needs a flat piece that I'm guessing goes into the pedestal for support but clearly the round pedestal doesn't just "go in" to the TV but looks like it needs said added piece. Am I missing something here? I don't recall throwing anything out when I bought the TV but it was over a year ago and I went straight into mounting it after purchasing it.

http://imgur.com/xbx4l

http://i.imgur.com/tQmyH.jpg

The first picture is one I found on eBay, looks identical to my pedestal. If I am indeed missing a piece, where would the best place be to purchase one without spending an arm and a leg? I'm in Canada so eBay options are limited and/or extremely pricey for shipping.

tl;dr - I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing and/or I lost a piece to my pedestal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

toplitzin posted:

Part 2: Bull, can you talk about the louver technology on the ST50 and if it makes a big differnce vs the non louvered U50? If you notice that is.

I honestly don't have a basis of comparison since I've never taken a look at the U50 let alone seen it in the environment I have my ST50 in.

I will say that the ST50, glossy screen and all, deals with the reflections from my living room window during the day only slightly worse than my matte screen Samsung LCD.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Godinster posted:

So I've got a bit of an issue. My previous two apartments allowed TVs to be mounted but the current one does not. I'll be moving again in six months but in the mean time, I'd like to use my LG 50" plasma TV [LG50PK250]. I have not used the pedestal for the TV yet and my TV knowledge is lacking but I just unpacked everything and I can't seem to figure out how the hell to mount the TV on the pedestal.

The TV needs a flat piece that I'm guessing goes into the pedestal for support but clearly the round pedestal doesn't just "go in" to the TV but looks like it needs said added piece. Am I missing something here? I don't recall throwing anything out when I bought the TV but it was over a year ago and I went straight into mounting it after purchasing it.

The first picture is one I found on eBay, looks identical to my pedestal. If I am indeed missing a piece, where would the best place be to purchase one without spending an arm and a leg? I'm in Canada so eBay options are limited and/or extremely pricey for shipping.

tl;dr - I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing and/or I lost a piece to my pedestal.

Yes, you're missing a piece. Contact LG and show them what you have. I found their support to be quite helpful.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

llama_arse posted:

I have a sort of unpredictable fault with my Samsung LCD, which is an LN-T4065F purchased in 2008.

The model of tv you have (lnt-xx61f and lnt-xx65f) are plagued with counterfeit capacitors that will bulge and fail prematurely. Unfortunately, your symptoms sound exactly like the issue caused by them and the only way to fix them is to have them replaced. There are tutorials on doing this if you google this problem, and if you take off the back you can verify if you have bulging capacitors.

If you don't want to try this repair, some people have had luck harassing samsung about this issue outside of warranty.

Rekinom posted:

It's been a while since I've bought an HDTV, but does Sony still have the highest quality product? I'm under the impression that it's Sony at the top, Samsung/Sharp/etc in the next tier, and then pretty much anyone else after that.

I'm willing to overpay if it means I'm getting a superior product that I'll use for the next 5 years. My Sharp Aquos from 2007 is still treating me very well, but now I want a bigger and newer LED TV. 3d is stupid, so I don't care about that, nor do I care about any kind of add-ons like wifi, etc.

Also, I see a lot of TV's that are really really thin compared to others. Does that come at a premium or mean anything significant other than "this tv is really thin and cool looking"?

I'm not sure if anyone would consider Sony even at parity with the other top tier manufacturers, let alone better anymore.

Almost all thin tvs these days are what is called "edge-lit LED" which means instead of having either an array of LEDs behind the panel or a series of CFL tubes, they use LEDS along the outside along with a mechanism to distribute the light across the screen. It used to be more expensive, but is now found in many less expensive sets.

Next-Gen fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 7, 2012

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Godinster posted:

There is supposed to be a bracket that sits on the mount and then slides into the bottom of the tv to be bolted into place. You might want to have another look through the packing material and box, sometimes those pieces get taped to something else or slipped into a bag with the manual. Since it looks like you bought this new, I would just go to the store and explain the problem, they should be able to help you out.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

There is supposed to be a bracket that sits on the mount and then slides into the bottom of the tv to be bolted into place. You might want to have another look through the packing material and box, sometimes those pieces get taped to something else or slipped into a bag with the manual. Since it looks like you bought this new, I would just go to the store and explain the problem, they should be able to help you out.

I think I threw out anything else, which was a dumb mistake. I don't think it was the store's fault and I'm not sure they'll even still have the mount... plus it's two provinces over now, dammit.

TraderSlav I'll try giving them a call.

Thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha
I am planning on buying an LED LCD. It will be used as a 2nd computer monitor as well as well as a TV. I do not have cable, so all media will come from online or my computer.

Samsung UN40EH5300 (Smart)
Samsung UN40EH600
Panasonic Viera TC-L42E50 (Smart)

Does anyone have opinions/experiences with any of these models or recomends one over the other? The Samsungs have a CMR rate of 120 and 240, I am not sure if this is a noticeable difference.

• Locked thread