Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lamentable dustman posted:

cmd.exe is really bad and power shell isn't much better

cygwin you can get p nice one
shells serve no function on windows aside from legacy support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

MononcQc posted:

2. ORMs are okay but if you use them instead of a real model layer you're in for some trouble because that sucks.

that's why core data is so ftw

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Shaggar posted:

shells serve no function on windows aside from legacy support.

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you're using a shell you did it wrong.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Shaggar posted:

if you're using a shell you did it wrong.

this but if your trying to shoehorn windows into any server level equivalent role

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows is great as a server

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011
Adventures in Clojure Day #420: Clojure has two completely different and largely incompatible systems for doing polymorphism, and the clojure community apparently prefers the less powerful of these. I seem to be the only person who thinks this is weird and dumb.

(also windos is great as a server for me to poop on etc, etc)

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Police Academy III posted:

Adventures in Clojure Day #420: Clojure has two completely different and largely incompatible systems for doing polymorphism, and the clojure community apparently prefers the less powerful of these. I seem to be the only person who thinks this is weird and dumb.

multimethods and protocols?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

this is why lua is ftw

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

clojure is terrible crap

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

multimethods and protocols?

yeah. i understand a lot of the reasoning behind protocols, but there's no reason they couldn't have added those features into the multimethod system instead of making an entirely new one completely from scratch. also given that you can't specify a superclass in deftype/defrecord, you've pretty much got no way to do inheritance with protocols.

(caring about programming languages itt :rms:)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm having to do a neat embedded project using a horrible toy programming language.

don't ever work on a project that requires you to use toy programming languages

can't remember if i've already posted this or not but it bears repeating.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Mr Dog posted:

i'm having to do a neat embedded project using a horrible toy programming language.

don't ever work on a project that requires you to use toy programming languages

can't remember if i've already posted this or not but it bears repeating.

what language

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

yeah. i understand a lot of the reasoning behind protocols, but there's no reason they couldn't have added those features into the multimethod system instead of making an entirely new one completely from scratch. also given that you can't specify a superclass in deftype/defrecord, you've pretty much got no way to do inheritance with protocols.

(caring about programming languages itt :rms:)

for better or worse ( i think better) clojure really tries to keep you from doing abstract/concrete superclass polymorphism at all costs. i actually like defprotocol/deftype myself so i guess i'm one of the dumb ones but i use a lot of spring so maybe that's why i use it so much

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

vapid cutlery posted:

what language

nesC

basically i'll sum it up as follows: it's like C, but you have to explicitly declare every single caller-callee relationship for no particular reason.

also every time you do something that causes a callback to happen, every single thing that can receive that particular callback gets notified, so you have to make sure the callback was actually intended for you

it is so god drat bad

that's not even the worst thing about it, the worst thing about it is that it's loving impossible to debug because its compiler shits out this giant C file and 90% of the functions in that C file do nothing but call another function. Everything eventually ends up getting condensed into this gigantic inlined pile of sludge around each interrupt vector which is supposedly ~space efficient~ but it also makes setting breakpoints virtually impossible and control flow utterly incomprehensible due to the compiler going on a CSE/DCE rampage and line number information not meaning anything in particular

remember this thing is intended for bare-metal embedded projects

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 3, 2012

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
do it in java instead and dont tell them.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mr Dog posted:

nesC

basically i'll sum it up as follows: it's like C, but you have to explicitly declare every single caller-callee relationship for no particular reason.

also every time you do something that causes a callback to happen, every single thing that can receive that particular callback gets notified, so you have to make sure the callback was actually intended for you

it is so god drat bad

write a compiler that does all this for you

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

hey shagger, what is the deal with asp.net and asp.net mvc, i know that they're two different things but it seems like there aren't that many resources on the latter and/or if any companies actually use it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

gucci void main posted:

hey shagger, what is the deal with asp.net and asp.net mvc, i know that they're two different things but it seems like there aren't that many resources on the latter and/or if any companies actually use it

for asp.net mvc just read the ruby on rails documentation and then add a bunch of extra syntax

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
asp.net is the platform that connects your code to your markup and runs it through IIS. It also kind of refers to the basic layout engine in asp.net which is very jsp/php-like.

asp.net mvc is an model view controller framework built on top of asp.net.

mvc3 came out like last year and is the first "good" version of asp.net mvc. it has the new razor engine. its still lovely web stuff but its atleast better than regular asp.net.

I have a couple of mvc3 projects. It makes certain types of simple projects braindead easy. If you're data model is an object model then its gonna be way easy to tie it directly to the entity framework and have mvc do most of the work for you.

If you have a proper data model you'll need to do some work converting the data model into an object model so you can present it to mvc.

imo it sucks less than most web frameworks but it still loving sucks.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if i had the time i'd check out http://www.zkoss.org/ which claims to do mvvm which would make me way happier.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
I gave a talk this weekend called 'Programming is terrible. Lessons learned from a life wasted'.

It went down far better than I expected, for a talk I cobbled together the afternoon before. Afterwards I found out people had been quoting me on twitter, and a friend described it as 'stand up comedy'.

I also got to call Joel Spolsky, Jeff Atwood and Paul Graham shitlords. Feels good man.

After the talk, a bunch of people came up to me and gave me a hug and told me i'd inspired them

:unsmith:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
It's gonna appear on vimeo real soon now and you can all enjoy my drunken sleep deprived ranting and my funny accent.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
if only youd seen the light of objc

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

i'm always down to watch anyone call atwood a shitlord

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
but joel is a cool guy aside from his "leaky abstractions" nonsense

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Gazpacho posted:

but joel is a cool guy

he's a a decent writer. he seems to be a decent product manager. fogbugz is poo poo though, and he seems to make some really weird technical decisions and his advise typically boils down to "just hire great programmers, hth"

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Gazpacho posted:

but joel is a cool guy aside from his "leaky abstractions" nonsense

heh

read peopleware from tom demarco

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Mr Dog posted:

nesC

it is so god drat bad
its a shame i don't do embedded dev anymore, sounds kinda neat

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

tef posted:

read peopleware from tom demarco
why

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I presume this one: http://nescc.sourceforge.net/

The rational makes sense even though it sounds like it makes complex tasks quite cumbersome.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

peopleware owns and basically can be boiled down to "nobody gives a poo poo about your methodologies and savings. If you crush the souls of your workers your business will suck", where soul crushing can be anything from bad work environment (physical or social), hiring people who solve problems (that's what programmers do) and then not letting them solve them, etc.

It's a short, good book that states the obvious, but in a more credible way than most people would.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Also read
Characterizing people as non-linear, first-order components in software development
on why people matter and nobody gives a poo poo about methodologies.

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

for better or worse ( i think better) clojure really tries to keep you from doing abstract/concrete superclass polymorphism at all costs. i actually like defprotocol/deftype myself so i guess i'm one of the dumb ones but i use a lot of spring so maybe that's why i use it so much

man, has the entire clojure community been infected with some sort of memetic virus or something? i think you're a smart guy trex, but polymorphism without inheritance has never been a thing anywhere. the only good reasons that i've seen to use protocols are speed and java interop, neither of which explains why everyone seems to regard multimethods as semi-deprecated or why protocols have to have a completely seperate syntax. they could've just made a special multimethod constructor that used java dispatch behind the scenes, but instead they decided to build an entirely seperate and redundant polymorphism system. i really don't get it

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

MononcQc posted:

We also got the same publisher.

Did you get the sw8 cover material that nostarch used for the cover of land of lisp?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Did you get the sw8 cover material that nostarch used for the cover of land of lisp?
I definitely want to get that one, although it's not been discussed yet (publishing date has been pushed to near January because editing takes them longer than planned and other stuff marketing-related). It's the same one also used for Eloquent Javascript, and it turns out the company that binds their books (and prints it maybe?) is located in Louiseville, Quebec, which would have me encouraging local businesses :3:

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

polymorphism without inheritance has never been a thing anywhere.

Wha?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

man, has the entire clojure community been infected with some sort of memetic virus or something? i think you're a smart guy trex, but polymorphism without inheritance has never been a thing anywhere. the only good reasons that i've seen to use protocols are speed and java interop, neither of which explains why everyone seems to regard multimethods as semi-deprecated or why protocols have to have a completely seperate syntax. they could've just made a special multimethod constructor that used java dispatch behind the scenes, but instead they decided to build an entirely seperate and redundant polymorphism system. i really don't get it

u mad

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
what the heck is duck typing???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

vapid cutlery posted:

what the heck is duck typing???

duck typing doesn't force you to use inheritance, but it's still an option. clojure's protocols literally provide you with no way to specify any kind of inheritance. if you want two object to share the same behaviour you literally have to copy/past the same code.

e: literally