Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Boten Anna posted:

If you like XI, play XII. It's basically XI offline.

I loved the poo poo out of FF XI, and XII was no exception. If you finish XII and feel the need for more, try Xenoblade. But XII will keep you occupied for quite awhile.

EDIT:

Rape Jake. posted:

Uhh the retarded plots are the whole point of JRPGs, I dunno what universe you live in.

Crazy plots are the whole point of JRPGs, not necessarily retarded. The crazier and the loftier, the better. It might be why I enjoy FF VII, Tactics, Earthbound, and Xenogears the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lofty is a good word to describe Xenogears. Even the people who didn't end up liking it in the LP admitted that the writers had a lot of ambition. I of course thought that a lot of their vision was realized well which is why I think the game is so fantastic.
But yeah...I wank Xeno too much.

I agree with Pyroxene that I play JRPGs for fun plots, not retarded ones. Besides, it's not like JRPGs are more prone to bad stories than anything else. Every genre has the capacity for great good and great terrible.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
JRPGS are most focused on plot and most susceptible to awful stories because of it, I don't think that's off-base.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Crazy plots are the whole point of JRPGs, not necessarily retarded. The crazier and the loftier, the better. It might be why I enjoy FF VII, Tactics, Earthbound, and Xenogears the most.

I like my JRPGs lacking self awareness and batshit insane.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Sounds about right! No, seriously, you think Earthbound wasn't self-aware?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mazed posted:

The only characters with chemistry in FF12 were Balthier and Fran, and that's mainly because they simply showed, rather than told, them being what they are.

If every Final Fantasy game henceforth is just going to be a spinoff, they just need to make one where those two pick up Gilgamesh and Ultros and they just go trolling every FF world.

I'd be happy with Gilgamesh: The Game at this point. Seriously, can you imagine how amazing that'd be? Play as Gilgamesh, go wandering around multiple FF universes stealing everyone's weapons! Quad-wielding system! Mess with the time continuum until you reach the final stage, where you succeed at the Battle on the Big Bridge!

Gilgamesh is the secret best character in Final Fantasy. His only real competition is Ultros.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Xenogears didn't look very self-aware. If anything, it's a poster child for old school RPGs that take themselves way too seriously.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Momomo posted:

Xenogears didn't look very self-aware. If anything, it's a poster child for old school RPGs that take themselves way too seriously.

drat right. Except for the man! Of the sea! bits.

EDIT: I would buy and love Gilgamesh the game.

EDIT 2: I think we are in full agreement, Rape Jake. I like games with insane plots that try and make them work, and only partially succeed through localization obscurity.

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 3, 2012

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I've never played Earthbound, but that post was in earnest.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'd be happy with Gilgamesh: The Game at this point. Seriously, can you imagine how amazing that'd be? Play as Gilgamesh, go wandering around multiple FF universes stealing everyone's weapons! Quad-wielding system! Mess with the time continuum until you reach the final stage, where you succeed at the Battle on the Big Bridge!

Gilgamesh is the secret best character in Final Fantasy. His only real competition is Ultros.

I would preorder this so hard.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Final Fantasy Megathread: Gilgamesh is the only good character.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

drat right. Except for the man! Of the sea! bits.

Really, there was a ton of goofy nonsense in Xenogears, from the Thames inhabitants to giant pink rabbit things to Big Joe to pretty much everything that happened as a result of Bart's decision-making.

For a perfect example of why the more serious parts no longer seems to work, though, is when you see them taking the bits from Xenogears that were meant to be all deep and profound, and see them try to do it again in Xenosaga. Before, you had cartoony sprites and unvoiced dialogue. But in PS2-gen, well...compare the voice actors trying to play it straight (the majority of the cast, all of the player characters) with those who apparently saw it for the absurdity it was and hammed it up accordingly (the villains, particularly Margulis and Albedo).

If anything, it shows that crazy over-the-top JRPG plots can theoretically work, but only when those involved aren't taking themselves too seriously.

Alternative conclusion: They should only write these games consisting entirely of villains.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are basically Final Fantasy games; they were directed by the series' founder and there are very noteworthy similarities (another game he has developed since then is, not even kidding, entitled "The Last Story"), though they have some idiosyncrasies that might make you hate them.

If emulation is on the table, X and XII both run well in PCSX2.

I got Lost Odyssey on a recommendation from this thread last year and cannot believe it took me so long to play. It was amazing and is easily my favorite RPG of this console generation. If you like FF1-10 turn based combat, you have 0 reason not to pick this game up. It is my most lent-out game because I have to make sure every RPG fan I know plays it.

Blue Dragon I wasn't able to get into and gave up a few hours in because every character annoyed me.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bongo Bill posted:

Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are basically Final Fantasy games; they were directed by the series' founder and there are very noteworthy similarities (another game he has developed since then is, not even kidding, entitled "The Last Story"), though they have some idiosyncrasies that might make you hate them.

If emulation is on the table, X and XII both run well in PCSX2.

Blue Dragon also had artwork from Akira Toriyama and other well-known figures involved in making it. It's easy to see why people give the game flak the boss battles have lyrics sung by the guy from Deep Purple but it has some interesting mechanics to it and the graphics are pretty solid considering when it came out.

MaroMaro's character is like nails on a chalkboard to me so I could never get through it due to him.

Rape Jake. posted:

Uhh the retarded plots are the whole point of JRPGs, I dunno what universe you live in.

Dragon Quest games didn't have retarded plots. If you played through DQ3 without having the later part of the game spoiled for you it was a pretty :aaaaa: thing.

It was hard to not have it spoiled though, considering the game came with a walk through.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Didn't Lost Odyssey also have Uematsu on music, along with Sakaguchi doing the directing?

If so...poo poo, that's as Final Fantasy as it needs to be.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Has there been a good Let's Play of Lost Odyssey?

I never finished it, so if I could read through the first half of the plot and then pick up from my old old disc 3 save that would be perfect.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Blue Dragon also had artwork from Akira Toriyama and other well-known figures involved in making it. It's easy to see why people give the game flak the boss battles have lyrics sung by the guy from Deep Purple but it has some interesting mechanics to it and the graphics are pretty solid considering when it came out.
I've heard this before, and have never heard of Deep Purple - what makes it so bad? I heard it and just thought it was the same level as the songs you'd hear in say Sonic Adventure 2 - terrible but fun to listen to as long as you know absolutely no-one else is around in a 5 mile radius in case they hear it too.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Rape Jake. posted:

If you read that without thinking "goddamn Final Fantasy 8 owns", you're broken.

No, all anyone could actually think is, "that is the goddamn worst line in a jRPG."

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Lost Odyssey is pretty good. There was a decent LP of it started, but I don't think it got far or updated often, sadly.
I desperately want to play The Last Story (and Xenoblade), but I never bought a Wii and everyone I know who did has since sold theirs. :smith:

Azure_Horizon posted:

No, all anyone could actually think is, "that is the goddamn worst line in a jRPG."
I wouldn't have minded it so much if it was like some sheltered kid in a small village in a typical JRPG, but Squall literally murders people for a living.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you can hate this boss theme, I don't think you're human.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Oh man. Those vocals are horrendous. :wtc:

It's kinda funny how cheesy and bad the vocals are, but this song would be legit awesome for boss music if it were instrumental.

Speaking of actually good JRPGs, I played through Xenoblade and loved the poo poo out of it, better than most FF games honestly. How does it compare to Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Idioteque Dance posted:

It's kinda funny how cheesy and bad the vocals are, but this song would be legit awesome for boss music if it were instrumental.

Speaking of actually good JRPGs, I played through Xenoblade and loved the poo poo out of it, better than most FF games honestly. How does it compare to Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon?

It's a lot better. I have Lost Odyssey and it's kind of a chore to play in comparison.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I heard that as the boss music in Charles Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden and didn't realize it was from a game, I thought the joke was that it sucked

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It's a lot better. I have Lost Odyssey and it's kind of a chore to play in comparison.
I figured as much, a game that good only comes along every once in a while. I just really, really hope that current JRPG developers, including the core Final Fantasy team, learn some lessons from the game.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Jblade posted:

I've heard this before, and have never heard of Deep Purple - what makes it so bad? I heard it and just thought it was the same level as the songs you'd hear in say Sonic Adventure 2 - terrible but fun to listen to as long as you know absolutely no-one else is around in a 5 mile radius in case they hear it too.
It could have done with an option to have a "without lyrics" version.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Idioteque Dance posted:

I figured as much, a game that good only comes along every once in a while. I just really, really hope that current JRPG developers, including the core Final Fantasy team, learn some lessons from the game.

The Last Story is pretty good, too, and I personally enjoy it more than Xenoblade. Check it out.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Idioteque Dance posted:

The best part? There is an instrumental version on a single consisting solely of that, the original in-game version, and a fairly meh remix.

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'unno, compared to, say, "YOUR NAME IS HOPE, YOU GIVE US HOPE!/WE'RE JUST PETS! :byodame:" Squall's silly inner-monologues, that one included, are the JRPG equivalent of like Chaucer or something.

AnInsomniac
Oct 12, 2004
Oh man don't hit me with that shoe!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zks5W-XlghU

I'm sure this is not confirmed at all. But boy do I want to believe.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

AnInsomniac posted:

That's a tech demo S-E released a little while back called "Agni's Philosophy."

They were asking for fan feedback here:

https://form.square-enix.com/a.p/933/

Doubtful that's FF15, but common theory is that if the feedback was positive towards this "realistic" style, they'd make something out of it.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 3, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Dragonatrix posted:

The best part? There is an instrumental version on a single consisting solely of that, the original in-game version, and a fairly meh remix.

I'unno, compared to, say, "YOUR NAME IS HOPE, YOU GIVE US HOPE!/WE'RE JUST PETS! :byodame:" Squall's silly inner-monologues, that one included, are the JRPG equivalent of like Chaucer or something.

I think most any dialogue in FF13 is better than a good majority of the lines in FF8. Squall's inner monologues are all trash.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Donnor
Aug 24, 2012

AnInsomniac posted:

The official website for the tech demo did/ does have a survey asking people what they thought about it, but there wasn't any confirmation at all that they're thinking "FFXV" with this. If it's at all indicative of what they're thinking of doing with XV though, that could be pretty cool.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Donnor posted:

The official website for the tech demo did/ does have a survey asking people what they thought about it, but there wasn't any confirmation at all that they're thinking "FFXV" with this. If it's at all indicative of what they're thinking of doing with XV though, that could be pretty cool.

It would be cool, but drat, the backlash against portraying fantasy-Arabs as magical terrorists would be horrible.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Endorph posted:

If you can hate this boss theme, I don't think you're human.

Without the vocals it'd be such a good track and make the boss fights not something you try to speed through to stop the pain. :emo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1gBPR3bF90

Idioteque Dance posted:

You're kind of screwed after playing Xenoblade because it's the best JRPG to come out in a long time so nothing else is going to hold up to it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yeah, Xenoblade, while certainly not perfect, pretty much blows everything else in the genre from the last ten years out of the water. It's also difficult to make a direct comparison to the two you asked about, which are very deliberately traditional in structure.

With regard to Eternity, the final boss theme from Lost Odyssey is similarly hilarious. And yes, Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were directed by Hironobu Sakaguchi and with soundtracks by Nobuo Uematsu. The same is true for The Last Story, but I haven't tried that yet and don't know what it's like.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
People go on and on about Xenoblade being the greatest JRPG in a long time and yes it is a great game full of stunning vistas, good music, really cool little game mechanics that you wonder why they weren't in other games before.No one ever seems to mention the fact that the combat system is a ham-fisted cluster-gently caress at the best of times. Dear lord if there is one thing that is preventing me from playing the game it's that combat system.

Again, lots of great mechanics in it, especially the whole tactical deal with faceplate mechon and what not, but it's like i'm playing the game with a fishing rod and the bait is an angry koala bear.Xenoblade's world and quest system with something like FFXIII-2's combat system would indeed be the greatest game for me.

Don't let that put anyone off playing the game, it really is a cool game, it's just that there are a lot of frustrating fights where the retarded camera and stupid controls get in the way of making it fun.

My two cents

EDIT: I know this is the final fantasy thread so i should say something final fantasyish: If what I gather from the Lightning Returns promo is correct, is this basically an open world RPG cross breed of FFX and Majora's mask? Because that sounds pretty cool. Wonder how the story is going to tie in though

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Polite Tim posted:

People go on and on about Xenoblade being the greatest JRPG in a long time and yes it is a great game full of stunning vistas, good music, really cool little game mechanics that you wonder why they weren't in other games before.No one ever seems to mention the fact that the combat system is a ham-fisted cluster-gently caress at the best of times. Dear lord if there is one thing that is preventing me from playing the game it's that combat system.

Again, lots of great mechanics in it, especially the whole tactical deal with faceplate mechon and what not, but it's like i'm playing the game with a fishing rod and the bait is an angry koala bear.Xenoblade's world and quest system with something like FFXIII-2's combat system would indeed be the greatest game for me.

Don't let that put anyone off playing the game, it really is a cool game, it's just that there are a lot of frustrating fights where the retarded camera and stupid controls get in the way of making it fun.

My two cents

EDIT: I know this is the final fantasy thread so i should say something final fantasyish: If what I gather from the Lightning Returns promo is correct, is this basically an open world RPG cross breed of FFX and Majora's mask? Because that sounds pretty cool. Wonder how the story is going to tie in though

I agree with you here, and I'd never go so far as to say that it's better than anything else in the genre in the past ten years; perhaps the last couple, and even then not really.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

AnInsomniac posted:

You know what I hated the most in XIII? The loving shaky cam in every action scene. Stop it SE, I can't see crap. Seriously.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Bongo Bill posted:

With regard to Eternity, the final boss theme from Lost Odyssey is similarly hilarious.

I like the first bit, it's up until after the Dancing Mad-esque guitar section, with the rap that it becomes so hilarious that it can't be taken seriously.

The regular battle theme is pretty decent though, and the main theme is probably one of my favourite things Uematsu has done. Those vocals around the 1:40 mark :allears:

Same for the world map theme.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Polite Tim posted:

Dear lord if there is one thing that is preventing me from playing the game it's that combat system.

Why would a really fun and interesting combat system keep you from playing the game?

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
The combat system in Xenoblade is fun, even if it can seem very chaotic at first. It gets simpler as you use it, though; you auto-attack when you approach an enemy you're locked onto, and use arts when you choose. I think it's a lot more fun then any system Final Fantasy has had for years; the closest it got was XII, which Xenoblade knocks out of the park in every regard.

Lost Odyssey's final boss music is pretty interesting; the rap isn't as bad as I thought it'd be, even if it isn't very "final-boss-y" or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
I really like almost everything about Xenoblade, but I hit a snag at what I think is the midpoint of the game Sword Valley. With all the other gorgeous zones in the game, I can't help but feel like I'm wading through literal poo poo. I think I just need to take a couple of hours to plow through that section and I'm golden. Right? :ohdear:

fake edit for Final Fantasy: Is Dimensions supposed to feel incredibly soulless, or is it just me? I downloaded the prologue to give it a chance, but everything about it just rubs me the wrong way so far.