Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
On FlameingBlack's recommendation I bought the Ice Ribbon Korakuen Hall show from May 5th from IVP. I'm only 3 matches in, but it's worth the $1.50 so far.

For those who don't know, Ice Ribbon is a joshi promotion in Japan that has a solid roster and has a good mix of comedy and athleticism. They don't use a lot of older joshi legends like some of the other feds. It's a good watch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

On FlameingBlack's recommendation I bought the Ice Ribbon Korakuen Hall show from May 5th from IVP. I'm only 3 matches in, but it's worth the $1.50 so far.

For those who don't know, Ice Ribbon is a joshi promotion in Japan that has a solid roster and has a good mix of comedy and athleticism. They don't use a lot of older joshi legends like some of the other feds. It's a good watch!
The main event of that specific show is Shida (ICE Ribbon's young ace) against Kana. It was quite a big deal at the time for a number of reasons.

Shida is a pretty good gal. She's striking-based, but doesn't really hit as hard as Syuri or Kana do. She's also got a bit of acting experience.

IVP is also offering the very first REINA show for free! Here's that card:

1. Megumi Yabushita vs. masu-me
2. La Malcriada & Tomoka Nakagawa vs. Hailey Hatred & Sachie Abe
3. Yumiko Hotta vs. Eiger
4. Takako Inoue vs. Sakura Hirota
5. Sonoko Kato & Chikayo Nagashima vs. Senri Kuroki & Hiroyo Matsumoto

The DVD for a penny is here and the free download is here.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Mia Yim signed an exclusive contract with REINA x WORLD so she's going to be in Japan full time.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Looks like Ice Ribbon is losing another core member: Riho. She's got those pesky high school exams to focus on and will have her last match with Aoi Kizuki at the 9/23 Korakuen show. Not retiring though, and said she would really like to appear for Emi Sakura's Thailand promotion at some point.

Sad to hear, particularly for IR, who seem to have lost a lot of their luster along with these popular draws. Makoto, Tomiya, Sakura, Minami, and now Riho. Even an up-and-comer like Nagano being inactive. Still have Tsukushi and Kurumi, but you know sooner or later they'll likely be worrying about school too. Shida and Fujimoto of course, though they've also branched out.

Speaking of, Fujimoto is also running a new blog for the promotion: http://ameblo.jp/iceribbon0823/

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Yeah as far as wrestlers branching out, Narumiya's been working with JWP a lot lately and is part of Leon's stable over there. Hamuko Hoshi's been working with WAVE and was part of their Catch the WAVE League and iirc came close to winning it. Fujimoto's been part of Black Dahlia in WAVE too and her and Shida are the tag champs for REINA x WORLD.

I wish JWP would get Micro/Tomiya because she had a pretty nice match against Rabbit Miu back in June and has improved a lot but apparently she doesn't want to be exclusive to any women's promotion.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Micro's last big stint was with REINA X WORLD and a guy (I think he's a guy,) named Petite Tomato, this little person who wears a tomato mask and is even shorter than her. She also did one or two of those shows where every match is in an oil/soap pit. She affiliated herself as being signed to Pro Wrestling Wallabee until they fired her publicly. Never really did figure out why exactly, only that it had something to do with drinking and comments against the promotion.

Other than that, she's bounced around a bunch of the little indys, with sporadic appearances in JWP, K-Dojo, Osaka Pro even. Hasn't updated her blog in over a month, so I'm not sure, but her twitter seems pretty active. Kinda started to get the feeling she'd go back to Ice Ribbon like Miyako.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 2, 2012

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Sara Stock (Sarita in TNA) is being potentially black-balled from Mexico. She works for CMLL (The OTHER sleezy Lucha promotion -- Not the one who framed Io Shirai & NOSAWA, getting them temporarily arrested in their own country).

Why? Because Sarita has "betrayed" CMLL by doing a two-month tour of STARDOMS in Japan. The ironic part? Her usual partner in Japan is Io Shirai, the other girl blackballed from Mexico.

quote:

Dark Angel's (a/k/a Sarita in TNA Wrestling) tenured wrestling career in Mexico appears in doubt following her recent excursion to Japan for all-women's league STARDOM's 5 STAR Grand Prix Tournament. According to RingbellesOnline.com, by way of noted lucha libre expert Steve Sims of F4Wonline.com and Super Luchas magazine, CMLL officials are extremely displeased with the champion grappler for taking it upon herself to work a two-month tour for the Japanese promotion when their official women's wrestling partner in the country is REINA. CMLL is also not being financially compensated for her appearances since Dark Angel secured her own deal, which goes against company protocol.

Dark Angel appeared at a few STARDOM shows in March to celebrate friend Io Shirai's fifth anniversary event as well as her own ten-year anniversary in professional wrestling. Since Dark Angel took off for an extended Japanese tour in mid-August, CMLL has continuously mis-advertised her as appearing at events with full knowledge that she will not be able to in attempt to damage her reputation in Mexico. Sims noted during the Figure Four Daily radio show last week, "...she might not have a job for much longer in Mexico, it's sad to say." Sims also explained why CMLL is falsely advertising her for shows.

“As soon as they know they’re not available for bookings they start listing them on their posters and assigning them bookings that they know they’ll miss," Sims said. "That way, they get rid of them – which appears to be their intention and they can say "Look. Here’s the poster. Here’s the actual poster that we sent to the promoters. We said Dark Angel’s going to be there on such-and-such-a-time and she didn’t show up for work."

Dark Angel has informed fans of her whereabouts through her Facebook page with daily updates on her Japanese tour. After CMLL continued to falsely advertise her for shows, she wrote Thursday, "Just letting you all know that I'm still in Japan and will not be wrestling in Guadalajara in the upcoming weeks. Sorry for the confusion."

Sims speculated that CMLL may not book Dark Angel for shows once her tour of Japan concludes as punishment for her "betrayal" and since they control the Canadian native's work permit for Mexico, they can blacklist her from working for any other promotion in the country.

Sims said, "It appears that CMLL is doing it deliberately to issue a punishment to her, and I think because of the work permit situation, what we will find out is that they simply don’t book her, at least until such times as her work permit comes up, and hope that teaches her a lesson that she can work in Japan but only if the CMLL office gets a cut of her bookings."

In a worst-case scenario, Dark Angel would still be able to appear for TNA Wrestling as Sarita, as well as STARDOM or any other non-Mexican promotion. Sims adds, "They are very stubborn in CMLL and they’re going to make their point with Sarah Stock whether she likes it or not."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I hope she appears on TNA TV again soon then, because I've become a big Sarah Stock fan due to her appearances there and CMLL.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Why is every wrestling company in the world run by loving babies? :argh:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

The joshi names for SHIMMER's next tapings so far are Hiroyo Matsumoto, Kana and Ryo Mizunami.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bocc Kob posted:

Why is every wrestling company in the world run by loving babies? :argh:

At this rate it'd be an improvement if wrestling promotions were run by disinterested corporate suits like every movie and TV studio in existence. Instead we're stuck at the despot stage.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

According to Ringbelles, Dorami Nagano has decided to quit the business.

Got me worried that Ice Ribbon might dissolve in the next year with so many notable stars gone, others bound to hit the books like Riho, and other opportunities for people like Fujimoto and Shida. Guess it all depends on the money.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

OmegaBR posted:

According to Ringbelles, Dorami Nagano has decided to quit the business.

Got me worried that Ice Ribbon might dissolve in the next year with so many notable stars gone, others bound to hit the books like Riho, and other opportunities for people like Fujimoto and Shida. Guess it all depends on the money.
Emi was the heart and soul of the company, and they're really struggling to find a way to survive without her. They've been bringing in some more freelancers here recently, but I think it's a futile effort. They were pretty groundbreaking for a while, but then a dozen other promotions showed up with the same concept. Their big stars are hitting a glass ceiling and being forced to go elsewhere.

The biggest shame is that they were so ready and willing to work with foreigners, hosting both a webshow and English-version sites/twitter.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I bought this Stardom download from our friend over at IVP Videos, and while it wasn't wall-to-wall great wrestling, it was fine enough.

The one thing to note is Sarita is on tour with the promotion right now, and she tears it up. She pretty much only does spot->spot->spot->spot with next to nothing called in the ring, but I had forgotten how awesome an athlete she is, what with her foray into TNA.

So basically, Stardom is a pretty fun looking promotion.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I bought this Stardom download from our friend over at IVP Videos, and while it wasn't wall-to-wall great wrestling, it was fine enough.

The one thing to note is Sarita is on tour with the promotion right now, and she tears it up. She pretty much only does spot->spot->spot->spot with next to nothing called in the ring, but I had forgotten how awesome an athlete she is, what with her foray into TNA.

So basically, Stardom is a pretty fun looking promotion.
One of my favorite things about STARDOMS is the super-athletic girls who wrestle a very lucha-based style. Of course there's Sarita who spends a ton of time in Mexico, and Io Shirai who was beginning to work there regularly.

Natsuki*Taiyo is also super talented, and I love her team dynamic with Yoshihiko who just throws her partner at people like a dart sometimes.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Sucks about Dorami. I know she's in her last year of high school like Minami so hopefully it's a case of them getting it wrong and it's a similar case like Minami's where she's just on indefinite hiatus until school/exams are done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H8vaOTQ5Ys

Her match with Hiroyo this year was pretty good and showed that she had a ton of upside if she was able to stick with it and keep improving. She would've been great in a promotion like JWP or something. Ringbelles also said that Sayaka Obihiro hasn't wrestled since July (and looking back, it was the 18th in a match against Aoi Kizuki) so I hope there's nothing going on there either. Tsukushi's the same age as Riho so I kind of wonder if she'll wind up having to do the same thing and leaving, that'd be a pretty huge blow to them.

IR's basically been on borrowed time since Emi left and especially since Koda left to do the TWW thing with Takagi (which I don't think we've heard about beyond NOZOMI working random Ice Ribbon shows) but who knows if they die off or just continue like they are now.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

NOZAMI is working a lot of DDT and Union shows too, but it just seems like Takagi is slapping her into matches and calling them "Tokyo Women's Wrestling Offer matches"

I'm not sure if they're still trying to build a roster or just feeling interest for the potential product.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I'd guess it's the latter and seeing if they can hook any girls/women into trying out and getting training. It's just if they had trainees by now you'd think they'd have said something. I think STARDOM actually had a bunch of trainees (which is most of their current roster minus a couple of people that are gone) by the time it was announced.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I think Takanashi would do a swell job at training the girls, with his involvement in ICE Ribbon and Emi's Thai project already. Union has a small-sized Joshi roster of girls already. DDT is pretty drat popular already, I don't know how well that will translate into a Joshi promotion, but it should be good exposure to a lot of lesser known girls none the less.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
When I was young there was this show on late nights called "G.L.O.W" (Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling). All I remember about it was that a fat wrestler named "Big Bad Mama" was on an episode of Married with Children. Was it any good or was just fluff?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI2FXZ_fluo

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

I think Takanashi would do a swell job at training the girls, with his involvement in ICE Ribbon and Emi's Thai project already. Union has a small-sized Joshi roster of girls already. DDT is pretty drat popular already, I don't know how well that will translate into a Joshi promotion, but it should be good exposure to a lot of lesser known girls none the less.

DDT apparently has a pretty large female fanbase so using NOZOMI on their shows to advertise for their new women's promotion actually isn't a bad idea or anything, it just has to be seen if that's going to bear any fruit. And yeah good training's a must. The STARDOM roster isn't perfect but they're better than you'd probably think for pretty girl wrestlers brought in because of their looks but Takahashi, Natsuki and Wakizawa are obviously at worst competent trainers and at best pretty drat good.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Suben posted:

DDT apparently has a pretty large female fanbase
But is that just because of Ibushi and Omega?

e: And Danshoku Dino, regardless of how many hats and purses he throws across the arena?

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 13, 2012

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Flameingblack posted:

But is that just because of Ibushi and Omega?

It all starts with Takagi.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I've always known who Bolshoi is. Mother of JWP, over 20 year vetaran, and a funny-lookin' clown. I've seen a lot of her matches and never thought much of her one way or the other, because she's usually doing more comedy-based stuff and out of the spotlight. After watching King of Trios though, I've become a huge fan. She's probably in her early 40's but still moves quicker than people half her age. Super agile and it turns out she has been hiding a six-pack, a rarity among Joshi gals.

She also sang Run DMC and performed an acoustic concert over the weekend :v:

Anyone got some great Bolshoi matches?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Flameingblack posted:

I've always known who Bolshoi is. Mother of JWP, over 20 year vetaran, and a funny-lookin' clown. I've seen a lot of her matches and never thought much of her one way or the other, because she's usually doing more comedy-based stuff and out of the spotlight. After watching King of Trios though, I've become a huge fan. She's probably in her early 40's but still moves quicker than people half her age. Super agile and it turns out she has been hiding a six-pack, a rarity among Joshi gals.

She also sang Run DMC and performed an acoustic concert over the weekend :v:

Anyone got some great Bolshoi matches?

Holy crap, I always thought she was a young thing.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

coconono posted:

She started wrestling in 1991, so even if she started when she was 16 she's still almost 40. That'd also mean that she started her own wrestling promotion before she was 18, so I think she was around 20 when she started wrestling.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

She didn't start JWP, she just stayed with it when the original JWP (the one started by Jackie Sato, Rumi Kazama and a few others) split into JWP (Japanese Women Pro-Wrestling Project) and Ladies Legend Pro Wrestling (LLPW) because of a split between the shooter and pro wrestler sides of the original promotion. It closed up in 2000 but restarted not long after with Bolshoi as the president.

As for matches, her submission match with Plum Mariko is a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8DNe6VKk7k

And her match from Climax 2007 against Leon (same show with the awesome Azumi Hyuga vs. Kaori Yoneyama match) is pretty drat good too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI_FcugxFhM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsU8FgpTWS0

Suben fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 19, 2012

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

coconono posted:

Yeah, KoT was the first time I've ever actually seen her, but I assumed she was much younger. Wearing a mask definitely helps, but she's still certainly in crazy good shape.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mr.Flibble posted:

When I was young there was this show on late nights called "G.L.O.W" (Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling). All I remember about it was that a fat wrestler named "Big Bad Mama" was on an episode of Married with Children. Was it any good or was just fluff?

absolute fluff but amazing fluff. Synchtube will occasionally get GLOW skits into the rotation.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Mr.Flibble posted:

This was terrible. But good for comically bad, silly reasons.

Don't beat up on Little Fiji or her big sister will squash your rear end.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
:toot: Shine PPV time~ :toot:

wwnlive.com presents posted:

SHINE Wrestling presents
SHINE 3
September 21, 2012
8 PM Bell Time
The Orpheum
1915 E. 7th Avenue
Ybor City, FL

Three Pricing Options:
$9.99 live showing only
$14.99 live showing and unlimited onDemand access
$24.99 live showing, unlimited On Demand access, and DVD

Daffney – Live Event Hostess

Jazz vs. Rain

Allysin Kay w/ Taylor Made & April Hunter vs. Christina Von Eerie

Jessicka Havok vs. Mia Yim

Mercedes Martinez vs. Jayme Jameson

The West Coast Connection (Tracy Taylor & Su Yung) vs. Rainbow Bright (Gabby Gilbert & Luscious Latasha)

Leva Bates vs. Kimberly

Santana vs. Sienna Duvall

Taylor Made w/ Allysin Kay & April Hunter vs. Greek Barbie

Jazz vs. Rain is gonna OWN.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Shine 2 was really good but the only downer for me was seeing Daffney in non-ring shape.:smith:

Come to think of it, when I ordered the uPPV there was a package to receive a dvd of it and it still hasn't arrived.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Dead Snoopy posted:

Shine 2 was really good but the only downer for me was seeing Daffney in non-ring shape.:smith:

Come to think of it, when I ordered the uPPV there was a package to receive a dvd of it and it still hasn't arrived.

OH poo poo. I just realized I didn't get my DVD from Shine 1. SAL!!!!!!!! :argh:

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.
I don't follow women's wrestling very much, but didn't April Hunter retire at one point?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Happy Happyist posted:

I don't follow women's wrestling very much, but didn't April Hunter retire at one point?

Semi-retired. She does really limited matches. Mostly titillating stuff.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
:siren: BREAKING NEWS :siren:
Beth Phoenix to leave WWE?

http://www.diva-dirt.com/2012/09/22/report-top-diva-leaving-wwe/

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

She can be replaced by Sara, as the big menacing girl that Kelly Kelly rolls-up in 8 seconds! I'm glad Sara has job security now!

I hope Beth does a tour of Japan before she retires or ends up in TNA though.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

It's too bad Sinclair gives ROH a budget that's smaller than WWE's catering bills, as Beth would be a good acquisition for that women's division they were rumored to be starting sometime this year (and which was likely scuttled after SDR signed with WWE and Mia Yim left to go work exclusively in Japan, which leaves them Maria and Veda Scott, neither of who even wrestle in ROH regularly). But they won't pay Beth what she's worth so I don't know why I'm even getting my hopes up by discussing this. :sigh:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's too bad Sinclair gives ROH a budget that's smaller than WWE's catering bills, as Beth would be a good acquisition for that women's division they were rumored to be starting sometime this year (and which was likely scuttled after SDR signed with WWE and Mia Yim left to go work exclusively in Japan, which leaves them Maria and Veda Scott, neither of who even wrestle in ROH regularly). But they won't pay Beth what she's worth so I don't know why I'm even getting my hopes up by discussing this. :sigh:

Signing Beth would be genius, since she'd become their entire division. This is something Beth is quite comfortable doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
word has it that Leva Bates, wrestling on Shine3 tonight, came out dressed up like Rick from The Walking Dead, complete with shooting zombies in the crowd.

• Locked thread