Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

yeah im trying to quit smoking and everything pisses me right off :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

ahhhh you can't just say u mad what is this GBS????

- you about some dumb bullshit one time

you really do get mad about internet stuff

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Police Academy III posted:

duck typing doesn't force you to use inheritance, but it's still an option. clojure's protocols literally provide you with no way to specify any kind of inheritance. if you want two object to share the same behaviour you literally have to copy/past the same code.

e: literally

you said polymorphism without inheritance has never been a thing anywhere

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Socracheese posted:

ahhhh you can't just say u mad what is this GBS????

- you about some dumb bullshit one time

you really do get mad about internet stuff

if you say so

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

vapid cutlery posted:

you said polymorphism without inheritance has never been a thing anywhere

i meant polymorphism without the possibility of inheritance, ok dad?

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

clojure's protocols literally provide you with no way to specify any kind of inheritance. if you want two object to share the same behaviour you literally have to copy/past the same code.

You mean like this?

(defprotocol Foobar
(foo [x])
(bar [x]))

(def default-logic
{:foo #(inc %1)
:bar #(dec %1)})

(extend java.lang.Integer
Foobar default-logic)

(extend java.lang.Long
Foobar (merge default-logic
{:foo #(* %1 100)}))

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

i meant polymorphism without the possibility of inheritance, ok dad?
You might have heard of:

• duck-typing
  • polymorphic data types in functional languages / parametric polymorphism
  • other implementation of protocol-like features or interface-based approaches
  • message-passing systems with ad-hoc protocols
  • etc.

Which do not necessarily require inheritance, nor would require it.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
composition owns :c00l:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
duck typing is a bad thing

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

duck typing is a bad thing

yeah those webbed feet are probably not very effective. i'm sure they mistakenly hit the wrong keys all the time

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mr Dog posted:

nesC

basically i'll sum it up as follows: it's like C, but you have to explicitly declare every single caller-callee relationship for no particular reason.

why not eCos or viper

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

tef posted:

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Time to Give Java the Boot?

Analysis: The programming language has become one of the weakest links in a PC’s and Mac's defenses against external threats, and is slowly -- and rightly -- being abandoned.

By Andrew Brandt, PCWorld

Is it time to give Java the boot? Experts say yes.

Java, the programming language designed to make the web fun and interactive, has become one of the weakest links in a PC’s and Mac's defenses against external threats. Consider the most recent Java vulnerability, a weakness currently being exploited by malware distributors: When Oracle, Java's maker, released an emergency update to fix the software, security analysts reported that even the hot-off-the-presses code contains additional vulnerabilities.

But the most recent security problems with Java are far from unique. Security firm Sophos, for example, blames underlying Java vulnerability for attacks by the Flashback malware last April that infected one out of five Macs.

The risks don't outweigh the rewards, security experts say. “I'd say 90 percent of users don't need Java anymore,” says Dominique Karg, the founder and chief hacking officer of AlienVault, a security software company. “I consider myself a ‘power user’ and the last and only time I realized I had Java installed on my Mac was when I had to update it.”

If you own a PC you know that nagging feeling of insecurity when you're asked to update your Windows PC for the umpteenth time. It may only be moderately disruptive, but it’s a monthly reminder that your computer, and the personal information contained therein, remains a target for criminals.

Over the years both Apple and Microsoft have hardened their systems’ defenses. The Mac operating system has been near-bulletproof to vulnerabilities, and the company no longer ships new devices with Java preinstalled. Microsoft has made a full-court press to eliminate operating system-level vulnerabilities since the Conficker worm outbreak in late 2008, and no comparable worms have attacked Windows systems since then.

Mozilla and Opera, as well as Microsoft, maker of Internet Explorer, have spent the better part of the past decade toughening their browsers against attacks through a relentless parade of updates. Mozilla, for example, lists 2237 bugs – not all security bugs – that were fixed in its version 15 release of the Firefox browser, which was published on August 28.

But even if your OS and browser security is inspired by Fort Knox, the bad guys always seem to find a new gap in the armor.

The question of whether to keep Java comes down to “your risk profile, and how critical that system is,” says Team Cymru’s Santorelli. “If the consequences of a compromise would be catastrophic,” uninstall Java.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

lol

Also yeah it's dumb to have java installed on client machines. The only people who need java are java developers writing backend applications.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yea pretty much. and even if you are distributing a java based client (ex: an rcp client) you can distribute a specific vm along with it that isnt hooked into the browser.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

(ex: an rcp client)

PLEASE deploy this for yospos, tia

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Also if you replaced Java with Flash and Oracle with Adobe that article would be 100% true as well.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Jonny 290 posted:

PLEASE deploy this for yospos, tia

lol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
what possible use is there for applets anymore

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
lol i remember one of the first programming classes i took was java and i made a bunch of web applets and i just remember what a pain in the rear end it was to code a decent UI

still glad i did it because it gave me a solid foundation for java backend dev stuff that I did later

can't believe people are still writing/using java applets in tyool 2012

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

java

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

craplet

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
if you must use an applet, use AIR instead, at least that way you have all the security vulnerabilities but without the horrendous startup time.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
shouldnt applets theoretically be able to manipulate the entire DOM/BOM by opening a socket to a javascript proxy in the same page? someone do this

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

shouldnt applets theoretically be able to manipulate the entire DOM/BOM by opening a socket to a javascript proxy in the same page? someone do this

applets can manipulate the entire dom via liveconnect or whatever they're calling it now

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i guess sun/netscape weren't quite as retarded about marketing java as i thought

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

i guess sun/netscape weren't quite as retarded about marketing java as i thought

java applets were actually pretty great except for:

1. horrendous startup time
  2. memory hogs in an age where ram cost actual money
  3. they kept loving up poo poo and breaking backward compatibility

Some things tried to remedy the last one. Marimba in particular was a great solution that presaged a lot of the self-updating applications you see now.

AIR addresses all two still extant issues. Unfortunately, Adobe. So here we are, in 2012 with web 'developers' getting all excited over the thrilling prospect of - omg - opening a socket connection!!!

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
idle speculation while I avoid coding

weirdly with java, the whole thing was designed for consumer touch screens, a sort of dynabook cum ipad, client side code, loading code over the network, and ended up being popular for almost the opposite, with the exception of android

pushing into the mobile market early froze the jvm somewhat, for hardware compat. c# didn't have this yoke of backwards compatibility, and as a result stagnating the language.

i guess people bought into java because of the promise of writing the same code on client and server. i guess that is why node.js is gaining popularity.

one hammer to nail them all.

then again, imagine if sun had bought macromedia instead of adobe, and made flash spit out applets, we might be seeing node.as

java is a weird thing, an example of something that was so ahead of it's time, it never caught up to the present.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
java owns specifically because it has avoided alot of the bad fads of "modern" "languages"

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

tef posted:

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
i like when people want to subclass NSArray and im like, just use composition, like the docs say,

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

Shaggar posted:

java owns specifically because it has avoided alot of the bad fads of "modern" "languages"

Your sarcasm is impeccable.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
how did a language with guy steele's name on it not have lambdas for 15 years smh

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"
java sucks but the best ide is written in in.

intellij idea.

that's the best.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

multigl posted:

intellij idea.

that's the best.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

java is mostly fine, but it's hosed up in a couple ways:

* as noted, jvm startup time is still poo poo for reasons i dont understand
* no callbacks wtf
* backwards compatibility still poo poo, forcing devs to ship java apps along with a particular jvm, which is so monumentally retarded i cant even stand it

so other than those three glaring defects, java is just great

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

rotor posted:

java is mostly fine, but it's hosed up in a couple ways:

* as noted, jvm startup time is still poo poo for reasons i dont understand
* no callbacks wtf
* backwards compatibility still poo poo, forcing devs to ship java apps along with a particular jvm, which is so monumentally retarded i cant even stand it

so other than those three glaring defects, java is just great

is jvm backwards compatibility that bad?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i havent really touched java in a while, but when i was, our product worked on the following java versions and only the following java versions:

1.4.0.1-3
1.4.1.0-i dont know 10 or so

my case was that there were these xml bugs that sort of came and went, sometimes the same ones, sometimes related ones. im sure other people had different issues.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"

Sweeper posted:

is jvm backwards compatibility that bad?

yes. everytime I deploy a new application server that needs to the IBM informix sdk, the sdk will only install with a very specific jdk file that I spent two afternoons figuring out with version would actually work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

say what you will about flash but you just dont see that kind of poo poo in the flash world. poo poo written literally over a decade ago still runs fine without modification.