Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

I'm not opposed to buying used.

That Onkyo is a basic receiver. It's a good buy for the price, but it's not gonna stand up to more expensive stereo amps. If you can get a good deal on a used receiver, you definitely should do it. Receivers last a long time.

quote:

edit: Out of curiosity, how much would I be losing in sound quality by getting a 5/7 channel receiver for ~300-400?

What a strange comparison. Depending on a lot of things, anywhere from "not much" to "the surround unit will sound better". Do you have a particular reason for getting a surround receiver rather than a stereo setup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hob_Gadling posted:

That Onkyo is a basic receiver. It's a good buy for the price, but it's not gonna stand up to more expensive stereo amps. If you can get a good deal on a used receiver, you definitely should do it. Receivers last a long time.

What a strange comparison. Depending on a lot of things, anywhere from "not much" to "the surround unit will sound better". Do you have a particular reason for getting a surround receiver rather than a stereo setup?

I'm living in an apartment with no real space for surround right now, but there's a chance that I'll move to a bigger place. In all honesty I'd prefer buying as good a stereo amplifier as I can but I've been out of the audio game or a while and don't know what's a good value these days.

Winepumpkin
Mar 27, 2004

I'm just, you know... I'm just the guy who does the thing.

Hob_Gadling posted:

Neat, that means you have access to OR speakers which aren't available anywhere else to my knowledge.

OK, I've done some listening and I'm definitely getting a pair of OR-260His. Now, they're selling a 5.0 set with two OR-160His for the rear channels and an OR-C200Hi for the center. Are the OR-160His overkill as rear channels, considering my main channels? Should I get the other speakers separately and look for something cheaper for the rears? I mean, I've listened to the 160His, and they're great, but I'm wondering if they're kind of wasted as rear channels. Maybe I just need some convincing.

Is the Denon AVR-1612 still a good match for the set I'm describing? I've noticed most reasonably priced AVRs, like this Denon, seem to be certified for 6 ohms. The OR-260Hi's specs say 4 ohms. Is this something I should be worried about? Or do they sort of even out when the other channels operate at 8 ohms?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Winepumpkin posted:

I mean, I've listened to the 160His, and they're great, but I'm wondering if they're kind of wasted as rear channels. Maybe I just need some convincing.

They kind of are, considering rear speakers only get about 10% of the action. You can very well pick a cheaper pair of rear speakers and not lose much of anything.

quote:

Is the Denon AVR-1612 still a good match for the set I'm describing?

I like my Denon 1610 and have never ran into troubles with lack of power. Unless you have a huge room or something it should be powerful enough. So no, I wouldn't worry about the ohms.

What convinced you to get 260 Hi?

Winepumpkin
Mar 27, 2004

I'm just, you know... I'm just the guy who does the thing.

Hob_Gadling posted:

They kind of are, considering rear speakers only get about 10% of the action. You can very well pick a cheaper pair of rear speakers and not lose much of anything.

[...]

What convinced you to get 260 Hi?

Great. I'm looking at the OR-H240 for the rears. I thought they sounded decent and they're like a third of the OR-160Hi's price!

The 260Hi was, quite simply, awesome. Their sound was just so - big and... effortless!

Thanks for your help, dude. I'll be sure to report on how the speakers turn out. Eventually.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So amazon.CA has the onkyo 818 for 989. Best buy wants 1300 for it. I went in and they beat amazons price by 10% ended up saving almost $400.

I got it home and its a bit of a beast. 48.5lbs boxed, a little over 40lbs unboxed. I haven't had time to hook it up, but my nice new TV stand isn't strong enough for this weight on the middle shelf. As a result I moved the centre channel down to the middle shelf and put the receiver on top. Not perfect but I have no choice. Once I have a dedicated room the equipment will be outside the viewing area on a rack.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

jonathan posted:

I got it home and its a bit of a beast. 48.5lbs boxed, a little over 40lbs unboxed.
Jesus loving christ what did they put in there?
Oh hey 7x135w amps, I guess there's that

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 22, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I have it set up as a 3.0 system. The Audessey XT32 setup was pretty quick and painless. Since I have no subwoofer it's running the towers as full range speakers and it's low-passing the center channel at 50hz. Specs for the RC-3 claim 42hz @ -3db so 50hz seems perfect.

I really wish Marantz made an XT32 unit, because the front face of the newer marantz lineup looks really classy in person. This onkyo unit doesn't look bad either, it has a brushed aluminum black anodized front face.

I'm still trying to figure out how to do hdmi passthrough. I may reconfigure this thing as an ARC unit and ditch all the video processing. I'm not sure if the tv will pass DTS-HD and other formats through the ARC to the receiver though.

Once I get a house with a dedicated room, it will be going on a rack. I always wanted to run a stack of crown amps to power the front 3 speakers and subwoofers, but this thing may have enough power reserves to do the job by itself.

FYI I'm running Klipsch RF-3, RC-3, RS-3 Reference speakers. They're dual 8" woofers for the towers, dual 6" for the center and single 6" for the surrounds.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
I just started shopping around for a 2.1 bookshelf speaker setup to go with my first-ever nice TV, but I quickly ran into sort of stupid problem: I live in a tiny New York apartment and unknowingly bought a TV stand that doesn't have room for a receiver. I had no idea they were so huge! Even the few (and expensive!) low-profile receivers I've found wouldn't have any airflow in my setup. The "shelves" are only 4 inches tall.

I can't change the tv stand. Girlfriend pick tv stand. Girlfriend looove tv stand. It has drawers for towels :buddy:

I'm by no means an audiophile, but I love movies and I'd like to narrow the gap between the way my Blu-rays look and the way they sound. Are there any decent receiver-less options in the $400-600 range? The only other absolute requirement I have is some sort of remote control ability.

I've since been considering a sound bar, but I hear they're not so good, and if I'm spending the money, I'd rather get something that's not too much of a compromise due to lack of foresight.

Thanks!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Something like this might work well, it has a sub out and a remote. Alternately if your TV has working variable line-out you could use pretty much any powered speakers.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

bear named tators posted:

Are there any decent receiver-less options in the $400-600 range? The only other absolute requirement I have is some sort of remote control ability.

What audio outs does your TV have? Does it have variable level line out?

There are some stereo receivers 3" or less high, but you'll have to judge yourself if that's clearance enough. Some AV receivers too, but they're either over the budget (Arcam), over the height limit (Marantz almost fits!) or crap (Sherwood). Sound bars have their own set of pros and cons.

For active speakers you could take a look at Audioengine A5+. Get the sub separately and since you're living in an apartment consider just forgetting it altogether.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
Does anyone have any opinions on the Denon AVR2112CI or the Yamaha RX-V671? They are both at a similar price point and seem to have almost the same features, both are highly rated on Amazon. I'm trying to decide between the two, or is there a better alternative around the same price (or less)?

Denon AVR2112CI
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR2112...=I1G8YVJZO5I8Y4

Yamaha RX-V671
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V67...=I17YLE5I56LCM5

Setup: 2x Polk Monitor 60 fronts, eventually getting a center channel and subwoofer, getting rear speakers at some point. Are these receivers overkill? I don't want to have to buy a separate power amp.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

ZetsurinPower posted:

Are these receivers overkill?

Do both of them have all the features you want? Enough ports? Some legacy stuff you want to connect? A certain network app you can't live without? They certainly are powerful enough to run your speakers comfortably. Yamaha comes with more ports, so if you need to connect a lot of old stuff then that might decide the issue right away.

I'd get Denon if I had to choose between those two because I like the sound and it comes with Audyssey XT. I don't care about any of the network stuff though, it's just sound quality, comfort of use and reliability that matter for me. Unfortunately Denon has the most aggravating menus in the world.

Then again, if I lived in US and had to get a receiver right now at that price range I'd seriously consider Marantz SR 5006 just because I love their stereo stuff. It's also got all the bells and whistles that I need.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5006/Marantz-SR5006-AV-Receiver-with-Networking-and-AirPlay/1.html#!specifications

Just for comparison I'd take a look at Onkyo TX-NR709 since it's loaded with features and has the most ports available. It's also the only one out of these four that has a phono input, if that sort of thing matters to you. I think a couple people in this thread have bought the Onkyo unit. Any comments from you guys?

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR709/Onkyo-TX-NR709-7.2-Channel-3-D-Ready-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

Hob_Gadling posted:

Do both of them have all the features you want? Enough ports? Some legacy stuff you want to connect? A certain network app you can't live without? They certainly are powerful enough to run your speakers comfortably. Yamaha comes with more ports, so if you need to connect a lot of old stuff then that might decide the issue right away.

I'd get Denon if I had to choose between those two because I like the sound and it comes with Audyssey XT. I don't care about any of the network stuff though, it's just sound quality, comfort of use and reliability that matter for me. Unfortunately Denon has the most aggravating menus in the world.

Then again, if I lived in US and had to get a receiver right now at that price range I'd seriously consider Marantz SR 5006 just because I love their stereo stuff. It's also got all the bells and whistles that I need.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5006/Marantz-SR5006-AV-Receiver-with-Networking-and-AirPlay/1.html#!specifications

Just for comparison I'd take a look at Onkyo TX-NR709 since it's loaded with features and has the most ports available. It's also the only one out of these four that has a phono input, if that sort of thing matters to you. I think a couple people in this thread have bought the Onkyo unit. Any comments from you guys?

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR709/Onkyo-TX-NR709-7.2-Channel-3-D-Ready-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

They have everything I am looking for, I think having enough HDMI inputs is important plus I want this to last a long time so the ability to add components without having to upgrade the unit is important.

I was looking at those Marantz units and they are sexy as hell, but I'm concerned that people are bitching about the janky setup menus since it is their first try at doing an on-screen display. Apparently its just white text on a black background it looks like MSDOS and it is hard to wrestle with. Maybe they will fix it in firmware upgrade but I wouldn't count on it.

Also THANK YOU for that accessories4less link, they are much cheaper than Amazon.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Marantz and denon are now identical internally. Different firmware and faceplate only. The Marantz 6006 is a very nice unit that has pre outs for a separate amp for later upgrades, and supports 2 subs. It also has audessey XT.

The onkyo 709 may have a more stout amp, and matches the 6006 in features, but doesn't have that fancy look to it.

I went with the Onkyo 818 which has a very nice amp section and audessey xt 32. It was a bit out of my price range but I feel its also very future proof.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
That Marantz unit is gorgeous but I'm not sure if it is worth the extra expense, it seems to have the same features as other units $100 cheaper.

Is Audyssey really that important? Seems like most audiophiles would want to do everything manually anyway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ZetsurinPower posted:

Seems like most audiophiles would want to do everything manually anyway.

Well the "audiophiles" who spend money on useless poo poo likely wouldn't want their system tuned by a computer. However, most people who appreciate a well setup system will find Audyssey to be a worthwhile feature.

The amount of work it does to setup a room is incredible. I won't fault someone if their personal taste doesn't like the results of an Audyssey setup (just the same way they don't personally like the way a professionally calibrated display looks), but there's really no better way to get as close as possible to reference audio with imperfect components and environments.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I concur with the post above. Audessey does a lot of calculations and can make adjustments at a resolution that cannot be done by equipment in this price range and can make adjustments that would take hours and hours to analyze and adjust via REW or other software. It also trumps most other auto-cal setups since it runs eq on the subwoofer, the most important to get correct.

Anthem's ARC and Trinnov or whatever do as well.

Edit: audesysy XT and XT 32 will EQ the sub, lower versions will not and at that point they are equal to ypoa and mcacc in my opinion.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 7, 2012

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
Thanks for the info, I guess I just assumed anything that does calibration so painlessly is a gimmick. Sounds like Audyssey is worthwhile for anyone but intolerable sound-nerds.

AceInMySleeve
May 7, 2012

So I've pretty much decided on Onkyo NR414 or NR515 for my receiver, but is the 515 worth the extra $60-80?

I'll be hooking them up to Polk TSi200s Bookshelfs and the CS2 Series II Center at first, than buying a pair of TSi500 Towers when I can get them on sale and using the Bookshelfs as rears. Any reason not to do this?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

AceInMySleeve posted:

So I've pretty much decided on Onkyo NR414 or NR515 for my receiver, but is the 515 worth the extra $60-80?

I'd be wary with getting either just yet. Apparently the 2012 Onkyo entry-level receivers have more than their share of problems in firmware.

quote:

I'll be hooking them up to Polk TSi200s Bookshelfs and the CS2 Series II Center at first, than buying a pair of TSi500 Towers when I can get them on sale and using the Bookshelfs as rears. Any reason not to do this?

Not really, that's one good way of doing it.

ReverendK
Jan 17, 2005
Brilliant #1

AceInMySleeve posted:

I have an TX-NR616 with a pair of TSi500s and for TV and movies it is awesome. Depending on how much you listen to music you may end up wishing you had more power to drive the TSi500s. Unfortunately that series of receivers does not have pre-outs for a future amp upgrade.

It is also worth mentioning that every once in a while the TX-NR616 will not turn on via remote. This may be related to the firmware issues mentioned by Hob_Gadling.

ReverendK fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 11, 2012

Rossilius
Oct 19, 2007
I'm looking for a solid setup/list of components on the order of $500 total for a 3.1 system. I'm not a fan of soundbars, and have enjoyed the sound produced by my current extremely basic 9-year-old 2-channel receiver/amp and my good ol' hand-me-down Onkyo Fusion AV S-31's which are about 20 years old and were previously relegated to the curb outside my old apartment complex. However, as I am helping put my wedding registry together and my fiancee suggested a home theater system herself, I'm up for helping choose what to put up. One caveat is that if components are purchased individually as opposed to a home theater in a box sort of setup I have about $200 of amazon.com gift card credits sitting around to fill in a gap if needed - in case wedding invitees don't end up purchasing all components but do buy some.

Main uses will be watching movies and TV (especially sports, Iron Chef, and, unfortunately, episodes of Real Housewives), along with a reasonable amount of FM radio/.mp3 playing use.

Finally, because this is all part of a wedding registry, it all needs to be available for purchase from amazon.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
One suggestion:

Pioneer SP-FS51-LR fronts
Pioneer SP-C21 center
Pioneer SW-8 sub
Denon AVR-1612 5.1 receiver

~$700 plus $20 or so for wires and banana plugs. Another ~$100 or so for a pair of surround speakers from the same series.

I'd say the sub is optional, it's not going to bring overly much to the table with those fronts. Bigger one would, but that's going to be a problem in apartment.

Pick the receiver based on what features you want. Don't pick one without some sort of automatic setup, of which Audyssey is the best.

Rossilius
Oct 19, 2007

Hob_Gadling posted:

One suggestion:

Pioneer SP-FS51-LR fronts
Pioneer SP-C21 center
Pioneer SW-8 sub
Denon AVR-1612 5.1 receiver

~$700 plus $20 or so for wires and banana plugs. Another ~$100 or so for a pair of surround speakers from the same series.

I'd say the sub is optional, it's not going to bring overly much to the table with those fronts. Bigger one would, but that's going to be a problem in apartment.

Pick the receiver based on what features you want. Don't pick one without some sort of automatic setup, of which Audyssey is the best.

Well, I am actually no longer in the aforementioned apartment, so thankfully this is not a limitation. Any larger sub you would recommend in this price range?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rossilius posted:

Well, I am actually no longer in the aforementioned apartment, so thankfully this is not a limitation. Any larger sub you would recommend in this price range?

I can't figure out what your budget is by reading back, but the Klipsch Sub 12 from the Synergy line is a very good sub for the used price for it. You can find them used with little to no use for $120. It will dig down to 24hz or so, and pressurize an average sized living room with ease.

If you want to go with a really good sub at a good price, check out the Rythmik FV12 or the FV15. They will run you about $500 or 1000 and will be about as much sub as anyone would ever need unless you like to do the 10hz measurement bragging rights game.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
OK, quick question. Bi-wire or not? My amp can do it and my main speakers can do it.

Whats the general feeling? Proper increase in quality or snake oil?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Bigsteve posted:

OK, quick question. Bi-wire or not?

As long as you're using thick enough wire I don't think there's a meaningful difference. Then again, wire is cheap so why not?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bigsteve posted:

OK, quick question. Bi-wire or not? My amp can do it and my main speakers can do it.

Whats the general feeling? Proper increase in quality or snake oil?

With a single amp, snake oil.
You gain some efficiency with separate amps, each controlling a different frequency range and gutting the crossover network out of the speaker, and letting the amps handle the crossover duties. This will net you higher volumes without clipping the amps if set up right. Its doubtful there would be a difference in sound quality unless you're passed the point of clipping a single amp.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

coolskillrex remix posted:

Name a price as we're not psychic, whats expensive to me is not expensive to you
Yeah, sorry. I'm thinking 2-300 euros. For reference, the quote was about this post (that I forgot I made :downs:)

beedeebee posted:

I'm renting an apartment with my girlfriend and we're gonna need a sound system. Mainly to listen to the radio, watch TV and play some PS3.
I'd like to get the minimum of wires and cables etc, and getting wall-mounted speakers isn't an option because we aren't allowed to drill holes in the wall etcetera.

I was thinking about getting a soundbar (that is the name for 1 speaker that sort of creates a surround effect right? See how much I know about this?), but a quick glance at this thread shows that the general consensus about them is not very positive.

Price isn't that big of an issue, we don't need to have the cheapest set-up out there, but we don't neet something outrageously expensive either.

Hob_Gadling posted:

Either a soundbar or 3.0/3.1 sounds good for your situation. I would go with 3.1 simply because you can get good bookshelf speakers for music. Drop the surround speakers and you're set.
Thanks for the info. Do you have any specific brands or models in mind?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I'm asking stuff that probably doesn't need to be asked, but trying to find information related to audio is tough when you have so many idiots involved.

I've an older Sony A/V receiver, old enough that it supports DTS and Dolby but not the DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD. No HDMI connectivity, and has component and a few optical and digital coax for audio.

To this point I've been running HDMI to TV, with an optical line to the receiver. It sounds fine, as the DTS-MA gets dropped to DTS and any TrueHD tracks are scaled down to regular Dolby 5.1.

But, it also has the analog 5.1 ins, and my Panasonic Blu-ray player has the same as outs. It's the BD-85K model which apparently has better audio processing than their lower end units, so it's an obvious choice to run the analog audio between them, right? If so I have some older Monster component cables that I got next to nothing ages ago which should work fine for that? Or are there actual differences between the RCA and the video cables to where that's no good?

ryan8723
May 18, 2004

Trust me, I read it on TexAgs.
Alright I have absolutely no idea where to start since I know jack poo poo about audio systems. I read the first post, but it was information overload and now I feel a little overwhelmed.

My wife and I built a house that has built-in capability for surround sound. There are panels where each speaker would attach to the wall. Thus, we would probably need mounting kits I assume (though I think we may just get the company that installed our system to install all of the speakers and mount them.

We are looking for a good 5.1 system with a receiver and our budget is around $1000 to $1500 (though we are leaning more towards $1000). I don't know how this would affect what kind of system we would buy, but our built-in surround sound system has the ability to add two speakers outside in our covered patio. We would like to be able to connect these speakers to our main system so that people inside and outside can hear music at parties and get togethers and such. I guess this would mean that we would need a 7.1 system? 5.1 with 2 non-surround sound speakers? I have no idea what I am doing.

We will likely connect a cable box and a blueray player to the receiver, so I don't think we need too many HDMI connections (4 inputs and 4 outputs are sufficient). We won't be playing any video games with this setup, rather we will watch a lot of movies and live sports. I assume that all receivers will have radio and Iphone connectivity.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you for any help that you would be willing to give.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

metallicaeg posted:

Or are there actual differences between the RCA and the video cables to where that's no good?

RCA cable is RCA cable, there's no difference between video or audio. The way you described should work, but seems unnecessarily complicated. Since you have all the required pieces why don't you just try it and see if there's any difference?

ryan8723 posted:

5.1 with 2 non-surround sound speakers?

This, and make those 2 outdoor speakers if you want them to last.

Monoprice.com has wall mounts, cables and other necessities. They also carry outdoor speakers which would probably fit the bill. Set aside around $100 for accessories. I would get:

2 5 1/4" outdoor speakers
banana plugs
wall mounts
whatever wire needed (HDMI, speaker etc.)

quote:

I have no idea what I am doing.

What sort of room is it? Normal living room or dedicated home theater room? How big? Any dedicated music listening?

Do you have any preferences on speakers or amps? Do you have some equipment ready besides TV, cable and Blu-Ray?

ryan8723
May 18, 2004

Trust me, I read it on TexAgs.

Hob_Gadling posted:

RCA cable is RCA cable, there's no difference between video or audio. The way you described should work, but seems unnecessarily complicated. Since you have all the required pieces why don't you just try it and see if there's any difference?

This, and make those 2 outdoor speakers if you want them to last.

Monoprice.com has wall mounts, cables and other necessities. They also carry outdoor speakers which would probably fit the bill. Set aside around $100 for accessories. I would get:

2 5 1/4" outdoor speakers
banana plugs
wall mounts
whatever wire needed (HDMI, speaker etc.)

What sort of room is it? Normal living room or dedicated home theater room? How big? Any dedicated music listening?

Do you have any preferences on speakers or amps? Do you have some equipment ready besides TV, cable and Blu-Ray?

It's for good sized open living room, and there will be some dedicated music listening time. We don't have any equipment ready for hookup besides those three things and we have no preference on speakers.

Also I assumed that the outdoor speakers needed to be waterproof, but I don't onow what to go here either.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
The budget gives you a decent amount of choice. One suggestion:

Onkyo TX-NR709 A/V receiver ($449)
Klipsch Reference Series RB51 speakers ($304)
Klipsch Reference Series RC52 speaker ($329)
Klipsch Quintet satellite speaker ($198 for pair)
Klipsch Sub12 subwoofer ($299)

Monoprice 5 1/4" outdoor speakers ($55)

Banana plugs, wires etc. from Monoprice ($40)

If I were in your shoes I'd ask what wallmounting the speakers costs and if the price, including brackets, wasn't unreasonable I'd just get it as service.

If the price feels high, you can save a few bucks from the above list by:

- finding cheaper satellites to replace Quintets. I picked those partly because they're sort of pretty and match the rest of the setup. One suggested replacement speaker is Polk Audio RM6751 satellites which are half the price of Quintets. I would likely do this, because surrounds are the least important of all speakers and $100 buys a decent amount of content.
- switch center channel speaker to RC-42 ($70 off).
- get TX-NR609 instead of 709. You lose the better Audyssey, some ports, some power and some features but the trade may be worth it for $150 off the price. I would think really long and hard before doing this, since Audyssey is essentially a one-button setup. If you're not interested in tuning the setup by hand then don't get anything less than 709.

If on the other hand you want to spend even more, get a better sub or change the front speakers to RB61.

I wouldn't trade the front left & right speakers for worse with your budget under any circumstances. I'd be wary of trying to save from the subwoofer either, since the setup requires a decent one to really kick rear end. I picked them because you wanted to wall mount your speakers: otherwise I would probably have suggested some floorstanding speakers. That's just personal preference, Klipsch bookshelfs are very high quality.

I'd also like to remind you that you really should get to a hi-fi shop and listen to what they have to offer. There are audible differences in the setups and finding out too late that you don't like your brand new $1500 home theater sucks.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Does anyone have experience with the Pioneer BCS SB 626 2.1 Home Theather?

It seems like a small, decent system that plays everything and will allow me to plug in my mp3 player etc. Would it be adequate for a living room that is approx. 4m by 4m? Right now, all we have are the built-in speakers in my TV, and those are sufficient in terms of sound quality and volume etc. So it's not that we're huge audiophiles who want the best of the best. Just something that'll play CD's/Blu-Rays etc without a hassle and sounds decent enough.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hob_Gadling posted:

I'd also like to remind you that you really should get to a hi-fi shop and listen to what they have to offer. There are audible differences in the setups and finding out too late that you don't like your brand new $1500 home theater sucks.

This is a very good point. I, for example, don't like Klipsch horn tweeters at all. At least try to get a sense for what kind of sound you like.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

beedeebee posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Pioneer BCS SB 626 2.1 Home Theather?

Seems expensive, considering a separate Blu-Ray player is around £50-70 on Amazon.co.uk. It's also an integrated set, so if the player unit dies you have to toss the whole thing. Seems to me you'd get a better deal by getting a soundbar from richersounds.com (Amazon.co.uk has a terrible selection) and a separate Blu-Ray player.

Alternatively Wharfedale Diamonds are £50 for a pair. Pair them with Onkyo TX-SR309 to get a cheap piece of hi-fi. It's still cheaper than getting that soundbar even if you factor in a separate player.

Can I just say that Great Britain has a strange pricing model? Modest electronics cost an arm and leg, but great speakers are cheap. Tannoys, Dalis, Wharfedales, all are very reasonably priced.

SAinDenmark
Jan 19, 2007

The Red Army's conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
I just purchased my first home theater system! I know it was said to spend the majority of your budget on speakers, opps! You all held the Audyssey MultEQ XT in high regard for the lazy. I went for the
Denon AVR-1713 $450

I then grabed the Pioneer speakers at Newegg for:

Pioneer SP-FS51-LR Floorstanding Speakers Pair $139.99

Pioneer SP-BS21-LR Bookshelf Loudspeakers Pair $49.99

Pioneer SP-C21 Center Channel Speaker Each $59.99

BOSS AUDIO SP12-100 12 Gauge OFC Speaker Wire 100 Feet $23.00

So I'm in the market for a sub less than $150. If I see a cheap Klipsch Sub 12 on ebay I'll be sure to snatch it up. Do you have any other recommendations? I'll be primarily watching blu-rays maybe streaming Vudu when it's -40 °F outside and I won't survive the trip to Redbox. I'll also have my 360, PS2, and N64 hooked up. I hope that I can play Jet Force Gemini with the Dolby Sound blaring. I decided to skip the Pioneer sub since it doesn't bring much that the floor speakers don't. The room is a pretty small basement

I'm trying to rationalize rearranging the room and having the couches in a tiered seating. I'm tempted to just leave them where they are not worry about the short couch. Once I have it all set up I'll let you all know how it sounds.

SAinDenmark fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

SAinDenmark posted:

I just purchased my first home theater system!

Good for you! Did you listen to the stuff before buying it?

The reason we suggest spending most of the money towards speakers is simple: you can get most of the improvements there. The Pioneers, I'm willing to say, are somewhat of a exception to the rule. Polks are often on sale also, but I've never seen them quite this cheap. $139 for a pair of good floorstanders is really good, and the bookshelfs are basically a steal. Anyone thinking about setting up a secondary radio/stereo/whatever should take heed. Unless, of course, you live in UK in which case you should look to your local speakers which are bloody awesome.

quote:

Once I have it all set up I'll let you all know how it sounds.

You do that. Let us know.