Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

hedge posted:

Good news, there's a normal gas powered one too!

Looks alright to me; the design will probably age better than the Sonata. They are doing one car worldwide this time around, so this is a few inches shorter and functionally a replacement for the Acura TSX.

Yeah, so that looks like the current gen Accord with a new front end. I wonder what the coupe will look like.

It'll definately age better than the Sonata, but I think the best looking car in that segment is the Optima.

(I can't believe there's a Korean car I'd actually *want* to own.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

hedge posted:

Good news, there's a normal gas powered one too!

Looks alright to me; the design will probably age better than the Sonata. They are doing one car worldwide this time around, so this is a few inches shorter and functionally a replacement for the Acura TSX.

Yeah, by basically looking like the old Sonata. I can't say that much bad about it because it's just so generic looking.

I'm surprised to hear about this world car thing, though. Is this true? Is it going to be sold as the Accord everywhere, or is it going to be sold as something else overseas?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
They've finally gotten rid of the double wishbone front suspension and replaced it with Macpherson struts.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Congrats to Honda designers for keeping the longest running joke ever played on consumers going.

"We keep making 'em uglier and they keep buying!"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Those front fenders are downright vulgar. I like it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Personally I feel that word should be saved for anything with a TVR in front of it's name.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lots of rumors of a performance version of the new Mazda 6. This excites the hell out of me.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.
New Accord Coupe :barf:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What's wrong with it? Looks better than most of the stuff in the segment to me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Warcabbit posted:

This, this is a shooting brake, yes, it is.

Pedantic, but no, it's definitely not. It has four passenger doors and is a station wagon or an estate if you are a foreigner. A shooting brake has two passenger doors.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dissss posted:

What's wrong with it? Looks better than most of the stuff in the segment to me.

The front just screams "Kia Forte" to me at first glance. But it's not too bad.

Edit: You know what? After looking at some more pictures, I don't mind the gas powered sedan. I kind of like it It's not too exciting, but the rear 3/4 view looks pretty sharp, the front is boring but not bad, and the two screens interior layout is actually pretty interesting. what the gently caress is wrong with me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 6, 2012

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Right. Sorry, two doors make a brake. Like a P1800 wagon. But it's still sexy like one.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Don't forget, the new Accord 4-cylinder engine also has "Earth Dreams" technology!

What the christ? Did ex-dealextreme employees come up with that name?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

What the hell does Earth Dreams Technology mean?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SouthLAnd posted:

Don't forget, the new Accord 4-cylinder engine also has "Earth Dreams" technology!

What the christ? Did ex-dealextreme employees come up with that name?

SkyActiv also is a confusing name, but at least it's contemporary and doesn't also sound cheap and lovely like "Earth Dreams." It really does sound like something from either alibaba.com or else a really gross locally made candy from a hippie health food co-op.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The front just screams "Kia Forte" to me at first glance. But it's not too bad.

Edit: You know what? After looking at some more pictures, I don't mind the gas powered sedan. I kind of like it It's not too exciting, but the rear 3/4 view looks pretty sharp, the front is boring but not bad, and the two screens interior layout is actually pretty interesting. what the gently caress is wrong with me

Modern Hondas are for old people with families. That's probably the creeping influence of old age :unsmigghh:

But yeah, it basically looks like a bigger Kia Forte. It's kind of funny how fast things went to the Japanese actually being so behind in design that they look like they're copying the Koreans now. Both Toyota and Honda.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

What the hell does Earth Dreams Technology mean?

It's just a brand, like SkyActiv or EcoTec.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Ford Mondeo/Fusion wagon for Europe.

Autoblog just mentioned the 1.0L and a hybrid 2.0, but if they released this stateside with the ecoboost 2.0 I'd seriously consider it. Of course I just got a new car in June and I tend to keep them 10+ years, but I really would have preferred a wagon like this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

The Camry looks presentable. The Avalon looks like hot rear end, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

Modern Hondas are for old people with families. That's probably the creeping influence of old age :unsmigghh:

nooooo

The four door gas powered one looks way better than the coupe.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

nooooo

The four door gas powered one looks way better than the coupe.

I've never quite understood why anyone would buy a Honda Accord coupe. The sedan, I get it: you need decent reliable transportation with more room than a compact car. But why the coupe? It doesn't even look that much better and it's cutting into the half the point of an Accord - it's bigger than a Civic or competing midsize sedans. If I wanted a cheap giant boat of a coupe, I'd buy a Dodge Challenger or a pony car, which actually look cool and have more power.

Is it like an insurance and ownership cost thing?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

I've never quite understood why anyone would buy a Honda Accord coupe. The sedan, I get it: you need decent reliable transportation with more room than a compact car. But why the coupe? It doesn't even look that much better and it's cutting into the half the point of an Accord - it's bigger than a Civic or competing midsize sedans. If I wanted a cheap giant boat of a coupe, I'd buy a Dodge Challenger or a pony car, which actually look cool and have more power.

Old people who don't need 4 doors on a car anymore because they aren't carting around their kids.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
Now that for most new cars the headlights exist more on the sides of the car than the front, it's hard to judge a car's look without seeing it in person or 3D. Head-on and even 3/4 shots can be misleading.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Accord Coupe is the only way to get a 6cyl with the 6 speed manual too.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sanchez posted:

Wouldn't the segment who wants a 270+ hp engine and a manual transmission be looking at Mustangs, Genesis Coupes, Camaros, or Challengers? I understand that Americans like power so the V6 Camrys and Accords must be faster than most sports cars from a few years ago, but I don't get who would buy an Accord as a "fun car".

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

sanchez posted:

The sedan for a short time (at least) had the 6-speed as well. 2006-2009 at least. Not sure about the new ones.

Edit: I have an Accord Coupe. When I got it, it was because it was 6-cyl + 6-speed (2005). I would have liked the sedan instead however. For the money it's a pretty good car, and it's not a hefty hippo like the challenger/charger/etc. Plus it gets 30mpg, 0-60 in 5.9, etc...

Edit2: It is pretty small for anyone in the backseat though, kids fit ok, but adults, only for short trips.

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 6, 2012

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Cream_Filling posted:

It really does sound like something from either alibaba.com or else a really gross locally made candy from a hippie health food co-op.

Or a :420: strain.

After seeing most of what Honda has been churning out in the past year I'm sort of relieved they went for a no :effort: redesign of the Civic.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I know there's at least one other Dodge goon (Mighty Horse), and I'd love to talk old turbo Dodge and newerish SRT4/Abarth so go right ahead and see where it goes.

Thanks, I'll shoot him a pm

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Previa_fun posted:

Or a :420: strain.

Somebody needs to convince the marketing team at Honda that it actually is a strain of :420:. That way they will be forced to change that dumb-loving name to something less ridiculous. I've heard non-car people talk about SkyActiv after watching a Mazda commercial and they were confused as hell as to what it meant. I can't imagine "Earth Dreams Technology" being any better at all.

Old Hondas hit VTEC and went :awesome:; new Honda hit ED and go :flaccid:.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
More on the '13 Accord

http://i.imgur.com/hTKAs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8YUbm.jpg

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

davebo posted:

Did I miss the memo where non-luxury marques received permission to make gorgeous loving wagons? If there's a Mazdaspeed 6 wagon I'll snatch it up in a heartbeat.

Zuiko-Digital
Aug 31, 2007
forever digital!

I like the back! Looks like the Genesis sedan taillights.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Did I miss the memo where non-luxury marques received permission to make gorgeous loving wagons? If there's a Mazdaspeed 6 wagon I'll snatch it up in a heartbeat.

Seriously, both of those look better than the BMW F31 wagon coming out for 2014. I've already said way too much about what I think of the 6, but that Mondeo/Fusion is pretty hot too. I just hope that both are brought here and maybe people will start to remember why wagons are so great in the first place :allears: Hatchbacks are making a comeback, so it's not too crazy a notion, is it?

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Hyundai Tibirion back-end spotted :radcat:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cream_Filling posted:

Notice how many of Honda's coups are North American market only? Must sell there.

Personally I've never seen the point of any large coupe. The Holden Monaro was particularly puzzling to me, when you have such a giant car why not just buy the sedan?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

dissss posted:

Personally I've never seen the point of any large coupe. The Holden Monaro was particularly puzzling to me, when you have such a giant car why not just buy the sedan?

It's a status symbol. Even though it can seat your friends, this is still a ride for you.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

It's a status symbol. Even though it can seat your friends, this is still a ride for you.

The 2 door version usually has a larger door/portal which might make it easier for old people to get into.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Throatwarbler posted:

The 2 door version usually has a larger door/portal which might make it easier for old people to get into.

I think the wider opening angle (in tighter spaces) and lighter door weight would make a sedan more useful for the elderly.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

The accord doesnt look THAT bad, certainly much better than the ugly rear end modern civic. I'm a little confused though, why do goons like wagons so much? That Mazda wagon looks really nice but is that the only reason you guys like them?

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Bob NewSCART posted:

The accord doesnt look THAT bad, certainly much better than the ugly rear end modern civic. I'm a little confused though, why do goons like wagons so much? That Mazda wagon looks really nice but is that the only reason you guys like them?

They'll cart your butt to work just fine and swallow your weekend Costco run with ease. Have kids? Strollers slide in no problem. Golf clubs, too. Compared to an equal sized SUV they won't tip over, will get better mileage, handle better as the COG is lower, and the ride quality is usually better. They can be fast and nimble like a sports car, haul everything a small pickup truck can (minus dirt, but with some creative use of tarps...), and look drat good doing it. What's not to like?

Jonny Quest fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Jonny Quest posted:

They'll cart your button to work just fine and swallow your weekend Costco run with ease. Have kids? Strollers slide in no problem. Golf clubs, too. Compared to an equal sized SUV they won't tip over, will get better mileage, handle better as the COG is lower, and the ride quality is usually better. They can be fast and nimble like a sports car, haul everything a small pickup truck can (minus dirt, but with some creative use of tarps...), and look drat good doing it. What's not to like?

Very true, when is that mazda wagon slated for release?