Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Lance Storm has some really good points about the Hug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MassRayPer posted:

But very person-specific points. Like he said it's the kind of thing that makes people keep changing the channel, but for the people I was watching with it was a moment of glorious self-awareness that they couldn't ignore. Then everyone got the brawl any match would've ended in anyway.

Also it doesn't need saying but Art of Wrestling with Regal was the quickest hour I think I've ever spent listening to a podcast. Right at the beginning is great just for him giving a slight dressing down to guys who think taking a few losses means they're helping the new blood come through.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Colt's Art of Wrestling podcast with Regal is up.

Oh, and it's a two parter with part two next week. I'm looking forward to this.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

That ridiculous hug segment is pretty much the goofy poo poo pro wrestling was built on

I don't know what Storm said but he hates fun so I assume he was against it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

That ridiculous hug segment is pretty much the goofy poo poo pro wrestling was built on

I don't know what Storm said but he hates fun so I assume he was against it

Pro wrestling was built on making people think two people hated each other and wanting to pay money to see it.

The segments are really entertaining. However, his point is interesting: if those segments are making fans less interested in the matches they are trying to get them to pay for, that is a problem. If neither match outcome is as important to the fans as the silly outcome, no one is taking either guy seriously and that can have a negative impact on WWE's bottom line.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Fair point - but we're in a post-drawing-feud era where people pay money to see WWE the brand because they've force conditioned the remaining fans to see it that way and not individual feuds and matches. So it's kind of hard to argue that a poorly booked blood feud between Kane and Daniel Bryan would have drawn better on PPV than a poorly booked string of comedy segments that were actually entertaining leading up to the eventual bad match because even Daniel Bryan is going to have to put in a 10 star match to even out Kane's side of the deal.

And people stopped taking Daniel Bryan seriously around the time they started calling him goatface anyway. This is probably the best we could hope for.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

First 3 minutes of yesterday's Todd show are worth listening to if you enjoy Bryan doing terrible radio.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

First 3 minutes of yesterday's Todd show are worth listening to if you enjoy Bryan doing terrible radio.
That was quite the train wreck.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I love Bryan's refusal to do anything in post. That dedication leads to things like this.

If you give it another 2 minutes you get to listen to Bryan fail to take another call.

If you give it an additional minute on top of that they fail to take yet another call.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Gabe Sapolsky's voice angers me. It sounds like he talks without opening his mouth.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

sportsgenius86 posted:

Gabe Sapolsky's voice angers me. It sounds like he talks without opening his mouth.

I keep getting the feeling that he's totally full of poo poo for some reason.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

LordPants posted:

I keep getting the feeling that he's totally full of poo poo for some reason.

Not a bad feeling to have, considering 90% of the people involved in wrestling are full of poo poo.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

This Bryan & Vinnie show was absolutely amazing. Granny was in rare form today.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

Pro wrestling was built on making people think two people hated each other and wanting to pay money to see it.

The segments are really entertaining. However, his point is interesting: if those segments are making fans less interested in the matches they are trying to get them to pay for, that is a problem. If neither match outcome is as important to the fans as the silly outcome, no one is taking either guy seriously and that can have a negative impact on WWE's bottom line.

I liked the hug because if nothing else, it shook up WWE's extremely tired booking formula. No one outside of maybe three people on the entire roster is booked to be taken seriously anyway, so the least they could do is let some of the guys have a little fun with their angles instead of the paint-by-numbers bullshit they usually do.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
The latest Shootcast is up.

We literally get so mad at the fact that some blondie is being paid to ref the women's division that we break a mic mid-show, and keep going!

Oh, I've been making fine jewelry RSS for years apparently: http://shootcast.org/feed/

Man-Thing fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 8, 2012

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That mic we broke is a piece of poo poo anyway. I'm getting bad S's all over the place and it didn't work for an entire NXT review.

Also, why did you censor me?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There is a Dave and Bryan call in show tonight if anyone wants Dave to tackle the JR racism issue.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's becoming increasingly frustrating to me that Dave and Bryan can't comprehend the idea of Bound for Glory's main event not being Roode vs Storm.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

The Terry Funk caller on the latest WOR was hilariously awkward. I have no idea how they understood a single word he said.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

njsykora posted:

It's becoming increasingly frustrating to me that Dave and Bryan can't comprehend the idea of Bound for Glory's main event not being Roode vs Storm.
But they've been building to it for months! Plans CAN'T change there!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I can't remember another instance of them being so adamant about booking. Maybe there is still a very good source saying Roode vs. Storm is happening despite all the recent evidence.

Storm is fine but he's been Just Another Guy for a decade. Making Aries a star seems to be as effective as Storm beating Roode for his second title.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I can't remember another instance of them being so adamant about booking. Maybe there is still a very good source saying Roode vs. Storm is happening despite all the recent evidence.

Storm is fine but he's been Just Another Guy for a decade. Making Aries a star seems to be as effective as Storm beating Roode for his second title.

It can still happen, if Roode comes back to cost Storm the BFG Series then the match is on. It'll be non-title but there's nowhere near enough heat between the 2 because Aries/Roode's feud was so drat good.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I still think Roode is going to cost Storm his BFG final and Bully Ray is going to win the series and reveal himself as the leader of Aces & 8s. They missed the boat on Roode vs. Storm being a money match, but it can co-headline as a grudge match just fine.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Cardboard Box posted:

I still think Roode is going to cost Storm his BFG final and Bully Ray is going to win the series and reveal himself as the leader of Aces & 8s. They missed the boat on Roode vs. Storm being a money match, but it can co-headline as a grudge match just fine.

Would the feud had lost steam had Storm beat Roode at Lockdown with Roode getting the belt back around Slammiversary? Sure, it would have probably lead to Aries having to lose his match at Destination-X (if they even did it) but I think the fans would have still believed in Storm. Right now he's just one of their most popular babyfaces instead of something special.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I think they're adamant about Roode/Storm because it's got a built in story, and if you haven't noticed they haven't been keen on any of these other storylines that have popped up recently. If any of the other guys win, they're going to come up with something besides "I want the title" because that'd probably be boring. I'm not saying I agree, but them wanting it makes a lot of sense.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

Bully can't win against Storm in the final, they've got each other in the semis. So if Roode's costing Storm the series it'll be then.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Our review of a baffling PPV:

http://shootcast.org/tna-no-surrender-99/

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

njsykora posted:

Well I guess they ended up being kind of right, in that Roode vs Storm is happening

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

triplexpac posted:

Well I guess they ended up being kind of right, in that Roode vs Storm is happening
It just isn't the main event storyline anymore.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

njsykora posted:

I would agree with you more if the actual main event wasn't completely shoe-horned nonsense.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

I would agree with you more if the actual main event wasn't completely shoe-horned nonsense.

When I wrote that I was foolish and hopeful and thought the blatantly obvious and great storyline was what they were going to go with. But nope. They did make a good point though on Observer Radio today, after a few months of going with the obvious TNA have adopted the same Russo bullshit mentality WWE have had lately of changing a finish just because people have figured poo poo out. Is foreshadowing just a word that sounds nice on creative reports to these loving idiots?

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

njsykora posted:

When I wrote that I was foolish and hopeful and thought the blatantly obvious and great storyline was what they were going to go with. But nope. They did make a good point though on Observer Radio today, after a few months of going with the obvious TNA have adopted the same Russo bullshit mentality WWE have had lately of changing a finish just because people have figured poo poo out. Is foreshadowing just a word that sounds nice on creative reports to these loving idiots?

Law & Order mandatory twist ending rule is in effect :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Law & Order mandatory twist ending rule is in effect :v:

So Bound For Glory ends with Jack McCoy losing the case?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Gaz-L posted:

So Bound For Glory ends with Jack McCoy losing the case?

Yes, but the leader of As&8s will get gunned down by Hogan on the steps of the courthouse as he is leaving.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Man-Thing posted:

The latest Shootcast is up.

We literally get so mad at the fact that some blondie is being paid to ref the women's division that we break a mic mid-show, and keep going!

Oh, I've been making fine jewelry RSS for years apparently: http://shootcast.org/feed/

I enjoyed this :). Letting non-fans (or non-current fans) watch wrestling is always a safe bet for good content. Although you did get carried away at a couple of points and started recapping stuff before the other guy had a chance which seemed a bit off. It didn't ruin things but it seemed odd given how the show was built around him reviewing each segment.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Konnan interviews Brian about carnies, radio production, and their personal histories.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Also you get to hear Konnan's impressions of both Bryan and the Steve Miller Band.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

"You deal with the paranormal, why didn't you have Vampiro, Teddie Hart, or Larry Zybesko on? Boom."

Goddamn, how can anyone hate Konnan?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He's got such great Charisma it's no wonder he was a superstar in Mexico.

It's also really sad that a lot of that early AAA stuff isn't easily available on tape, because that stuff sounds fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am sad, I can't seem to listen to the Meltzer interview on Konnan's show anywhere.

• Locked thread