Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yteDTf9M5rY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grievo
Jul 13, 2006

God.
Reading football stories written by americans makes me sick.

Soup and a Sandwich
Apr 8, 2008

skeng

Ordal
Apr 13, 2004

Polidoro posted:

Pretty hard to stay competitive when you are in your late thirties.

Freddy Adu is 23 years old.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Ordal posted:

Freddy Adu is 23 years old.

Yes the joke is that due to the circumstances of where he was born birth certificates are not as ironclad as they are other places and due to that he might possibly be older than what is officially listed. If you need any other football related jokes explained please PM me.

Ordal
Apr 13, 2004
I am literally going to PM you every time and will maintain a virtual copy of this post for posterity if you ever decide to not provide me with a legitimate answer.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

T. Mascis posted:

Yes the joke is that due to the circumstances of where he was born birth certificates are not as ironclad as they are other places and due to that he might possibly be older than what is officially listed. If you need any other football related jokes explained please PM me.

I don't have PM, please explain the etymology of 'a rainy night in stoke' and why the best players fail to play well due to those factors.

Note: I'm an American and never been to Stoke. (which Wiki tells me is actually Stoke-on-Trent :wtc:)

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
I'm not an expert, but I think Stoke play a "park the bus and kick it up for the big lad up front" style of football, rain makes it difficult to play for teams that play pass-and-move or at least try to keep the ball on the ground. The small size of Stoke's pitch didn't help to the pass-and-move thing either.

Therefore, playing at Stoke is difficult when it rains.

This expression is dated because pitch size has been regulated by the FA so all fields are the same size, also rain doesn't ruin pitches like it used to and finally Charlie Adam and Owen turned Stoke into Stokelona.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Ordal posted:

Freddy Adu is actually at least 27 years old and admitted as much many times when he was a dumbass teenager in the DC metro area. He is like 5'4" fully grown, so it makes perfect sense that he was able to pass for much younger during his early career.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

TraderStav posted:

I don't have PM, please explain the etymology of 'a rainy night in stoke' and why the best players fail to play well due to those factors.

Note: I'm an American and never been to Stoke. (which Wiki tells me is actually Stoke-on-Trent :wtc:)

Why is 'Stoke-on-Trent' so unusual? It just means that the town is situation alongside the river Trent.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Polidoro posted:

This expression is dated because pitch size has been regulated by the FA so all fields are the same size, also rain doesn't ruin pitches like it used to and finally Charlie Adam and Owen turned Stoke into Stokelona.

Size of field won't matter. You got 10 men directly in front of the box? You're assuming the Stoke position. They also have a reputation for kicking the poo poo out of teams. So very defensive + very strong tackling + lovely playing conditions = "rainy night in stoke"

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Freddy Adu would have been out of soccer long ago if it wasn't for his crony high school classmate Obama in the white house.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
^^^^B-Rock's just helping a fellow African

I'm just saying small fields are bad for teams who play passing football or at least play with the traditional wingers who run along the line and cross it (most teams from the time of that expression). On a narrow field it's easier to mark the wingers, and it's easier to kick it to the big lad on a shorter field.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I am OK posted:

Why is 'Stoke-on-Trent' so unusual? It just means that the town is situation alongside the river Trent.

Just sounded different, that's all. Remember I'm American?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Polidoro posted:

Not all of the pitches are the same size, there are still differences.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puň essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

TraderStav posted:

Just sounded different, that's all. Remember I'm American?

Reminder that the city of Newcastle is officially referred to as "Newcastle upon Tyne".

This is partially to differentiate it from Newcastle-under-Lyme, which is a suburb/satellite town of Stoke. It also denotes as to who the fog on the Tyne belongs to.

LEARN STUFF WIN PRIZES

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Polidoro posted:

^^^^B-Rock's just helping a fellow African

I'm just saying small fields are bad for teams who play passing football or at least play with the traditional wingers who run along the line and cross it (most teams from the time of that expression). On a narrow field it's easier to mark the wingers, and it's easier to kick it to the big lad on a shorter field.

Just as a fan of the last team to still try playing a good old english 442, a narrower pitch helps deliver a cross onto a big man's bonce.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

T. Mascis posted:

Is Kanu really *checks birth certificate* 36

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Polidoro posted:

I'm not an expert, but I think Stoke play a "park the bus and kick it up for the big lad up front" style of football, rain makes it difficult to play for teams that play pass-and-move or at least try to keep the ball on the ground. The small size of Stoke's pitch didn't help to the pass-and-move thing either.

Therefore, playing at Stoke is difficult when it rains.

You forgot the part about kicking lumps out of the fancy dan opponents via the use of good old English tackling.

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
Freddy Adu was dating JoJo when she was 14 and he was allegedly 16 but most likely 26.

Pelé vs Adu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LopRlGJ_fek I do not know what Sierra Mist is.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Xeno posted:

Freddy Adu was dating JoJo when she was 14 and he was allegedly 16 but most likely 26.

Pelé vs Adu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LopRlGJ_fek I do not know what Sierra Mist is.

Horrible replacement for Sprite.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TraderStav posted:

Horrible replacement for Sprite.

Which is in turn a horrible replacement for 7up, Sierra Mist is quite terrible.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Ninpo posted:

Which is in turn a horrible replacement for 7up, Sierra Mist is quite terrible.

IMO I find Sierra Mist to be best out of a plastic bottle. Sprite and 7up are better out of cans. Sprite is absolute best out of a glass bottle, hth.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
an educated answer is: sierra mist is pepsico's answer to coca cola's sprite

it's shite

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Really interesting discussion. pause.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHjXgaTt4ug

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

This is why our kids are fat and have diabetes.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

How Manchester United makes Money:

Analyst at BofA posted:

As must see appointment viewing, professional sports are often considered the most valuable form of content to consumers, marketers and distributors alike. In our view, as a leading franchise within a top league of the most popular sport in the world, MANU operates from a highly desirable position within the Media & Entertainment ecosystem. Simply put, so long as the team remains popular among fans, we believe it can benefit from pricing power with customers. This creates potential for a fairly virtuous cycle, where winning drives commercial success, driving buying power and top talent to the team, thereby sustaining success (Exhibit 12)

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/manchester-united-diagram-2012-9#ixzz25hKm63n5

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

Weaponized Cum posted:

How Manchester United makes Money:

Saddens me to think whoever wrote that completely obvious and terribly presented slide probably earns 10 times what I do.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Xeno posted:

Saddens me to think whoever wrote that completely obvious and terribly presented slide probably earns 10 times what I do.

Don't you have a Ferrari?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
A leading franchise indeed

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

TyChan posted:

Don't you have a Ferrari?

That should make his post *less* surprising.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

This YT channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/junior481?feature=watch has a lot of complete matches what all own.

Couple examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqSInM7VlkQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlmxbO2I8e8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ApaKtKAzY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah99SZP2il4

Soup and a Sandwich
Apr 8, 2008

skeng
so tender

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Rangers are a well run club and will never be stupid with money again

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

belgend posted:

This YT channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/junior481?feature=watch has a lot of complete matches what all own.

This owns, you own for sharing it.

45 minute George Best video :allears:

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 6, 2012

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Blimpkin posted:

IMO I find Sierra Mist to be best out of a plastic bottle. Sprite and 7up are better out of cans. Sprite is absolute best out of a glass bottle, hth.

Lmao if you don't think Squirt is the best lemon limey soda, and its the best because it doesn't use lemon lime, it uses grapefruit

Edit: oops didn't see post sorry Finn

artshavin
Apr 11, 2012

toot
and
salute

:smug: edinbro rugby :smug:

We should just go back to these kits. Also WOW at the state of that pitch.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Ninpo posted:

This owns, you own for sharing it.

45 minute George Best video :allears:

Did you have to quote all of the loving videos? Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

artshavin posted:

We should just go back to these kits. Also WOW at the state of that pitch.

Bad picture, but this was Napoli's pitch last weekend. It looked like sand every time a player took a step.

• Locked thread