Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I clean the chain by wiping it with an old rag dampened with WD-40, then lubricate it with a can of the spray-on lube that comes out kind of foamy and smells like crayons.

If you don't have a center stand, try putting some wooden blocks under the bottom of the frame, then hanging a couple of gallon jugs full of water from the handlebars. That should be enough to balance it, tilt it forwards and get the rear wheel raised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silvah
Aug 27, 2004
s0me
So I've really done a number on my 2012 FZ8. I am/was in the process of installing a BKMoto HID projector to replace the pitiful stock flashlight, and at the same time did the airbox mod (removed the snorkel part), partially because it was already apart, and partially to fit the ballast and extra wiring for the HID. Everything appears to be fine with the HID, it turns on and looks great when I'm actually able to get the bike started, the problem is the bike doesn't start anymore. It cranks over just fine, battery's good, never had a problem before this. I've also tried "jumping" the bike from my car (with the car off of course), since the battery is a bit drained now from all the times I've tried to start it.

I've gone through and verified everything within my ability. I was only able to check one of the spark plugs due to time constraints (you have to remove the radiator and all that to get to the rest. I replaced that plug just for kicks, but also re-tried the old one. I also verified that the ignition coil is functioning on that one with an inline spark tester. I checked all the fuses, they are fine. I did accidentally tip the gas tank over sideways a bit while my friend had it propped up, which yanked the wires out of the fuel pump cable, but I replaced them and the pump appears to be priming OK, although I can't say for sure if it's actually pumping fuel. I've added some more gas, so there's plenty of fresh gas in the tank. I've run through the diagnostic mode as described in the service manual, and everything looks fine. Tilt sensor, kickstand sensor, clutch sensor, throttle position sensor, all ignition coils and injectors seem to be actuating. The self-diagnosis system isn't throwing any codes at all, and seems to be fine.

The bike was running perfectly fine before this, so my thoughts are that either somehow the airbox mod made it so the motor isn't getting the amount of air expecting or something (I did the same one everyone else did, looks fine to me, sanded and finished it all and everything seems OK on that front...), or the fuel pump is toast or malfunctioning. I don't think it's electrical, at least not as far as the computer or other things. I believe while troubleshooting the yanked out wires on the fuel pump I may have crossed them, but I'm not sure if it damaged the pump, since it still primes and sounds normal, and seems to be operating when I crank the bike. I also smell unburnt gas from the exhaust after cranking it for a bit. The spark plug I pulled wasn't wet, it looked like a normal brownish color, no oddities.

Now, I was able to get the bike to start a few times, a couple of which were using starter spray from Autozone, which got the bike started, it ran and sounded fine (although it was sputtering, not unlike when I ran out of fuel). I also went back out today after work and it sounded like it wanted to start (it cranked and caught but died almost immediately, the headlight came on though which generally means it got ignition). After both times getting it started or near started, I wasn't able to get it to start again, even using starter spray.

So, my best guess at this point is the fuel pump is bad, but I'm not really sure how to check it, since it sounds fine and I think fuel is getting in somewhere, but the fact that it started with the spray and then coughed out seems to indicate that it wasn't getting any fuel. Any thoughts before I have it towed to the shop tomorrow?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Test if the fuel pump is actually working by disconnecting the hose from the fuel rail, feed it towards a bucket/bottle/other receptacle, and switch the ignition on and see if it's really priming or just sounds like it, and then maybe try starting as well.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Have you checked that your petcock is in the right spot?

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Could low-battery cause a Fuel Injected bike to stall when I ease the clutch into the friction zone? :( It doesn't stall if I rev the bike in Neutral.

EDIT: The hell. My idle RPM dropped over the course of a week and I haven't even ridden my bike.

Grimes fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 5, 2012

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Guinness posted:

Anyone use a wheel roller thingamajig for chain lubing, wheel cleaning, etc. before? Something along the lines of this:
I'd just get a normal pit stand. It serves the same purpose as far as chain maintainence is concerned, but since it lifts the wheel completely off the ground you can use it if you ever need to unmount the wheel or work on the brake as well. It's probably more stable than the rollers as well.

Example: http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-swingarm-rear-stand-65620.html

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Is there like a small form factor CB radio with bluetooth capabilities I could get and tuck away under a fairing somewhere, and control with a Sena headset?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Silvah posted:

So I've really done a number on my 2012 FZ8.

Your bike is under warranty. Button it up, act like you did nothing to the bike and bring it to the shop and tell them to fix it.

If I had to guess you have a tip over sensor aligned wrong or possibly the kickstand sensor.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Grimes posted:

Could low-battery cause a Fuel Injected bike to stall when I ease the clutch into the friction zone? :( It doesn't stall if I rev the bike in Neutral.

EDIT: The hell. My idle RPM dropped over the course of a week and I haven't even ridden my bike.

I would also check the kickstand switch. When they die your bike will usually think the stand is always down and it cuts the engine right about when you get to the friction zone, but only when in gear.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Bondematt posted:

I would also check the kickstand switch. When they die your bike will usually think the stand is always down and it cuts the engine right about when you get to the friction zone, but only when in gear.

What bikes do this? Mine will die as soon as the gear is selected. If the stand is down.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My old '95 Vulcan did it when I'd let the clutch out.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Ziploc posted:

What bikes do this? Mine will die as soon as the gear is selected. If the stand is down.

With the clutch in? Mine does this, Ex-500(Ninja 500), so I guess it's anecdotal.

Only cuts spark once you start letting the clutch out, so it causes you to kinda lurch awkwardly and catch the bike.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

n8r posted:

Your bike is under warranty. Button it up, act like you did nothing to the bike and bring it to the shop and tell them to fix it.

If I had to guess you have a tip over sensor aligned wrong or possibly the kickstand sensor.

They might have a clue when they see a mangled airbox.

Is there ever any reason to chop up your airbox or is it just a mod for people with no money?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I chopped up my airbox with a pocket knife at the campsite in Sturgis this last time, both because I wanted it running leaner and because I was drunk.

Runs good, man.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

nsaP posted:

Is there ever any reason to chop up your airbox or is it just a mod for people with no money?

Yes, if your airbox is horribly restrictive from the factory and you're smart enough to not run pod filters, then what else are you supposed to do?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It seems to me the proper course of action is a strongly worded letter to the manufacturers engineering department informing them of their mistake.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
They're just going to refer you to everyone's favorite environmental protection agency.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nsaP posted:

It seems to me the proper course of action is a strongly worded letter to the manufacturers engineering department informing them of their mistake.

A lot of the intake fuckery on cars and bikes is for EPA noise regulations :keke:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

My bike engages just fine with the kickstand down.

Found that out the hard way. :doh:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Two electrical questions: a PO replaced the stock turn signals with LEDs on my 2007 Bandit. On Sunday, the instructor I had for my road test said during a pre-ride inspection that I should really have a relay for them. Is that standard?

Also another PO put heated grips on, and it looks like they're wired straight into the electrical system, since I can turn them on without the bike on. Obviously not a good thing! How would they normally connect up?

I haven't had any garage time with the bike yet since buying it a month ago, so I'm thinking of things to work on next time I'm down at my folks', which should be Canadian Thanksgiving in early October if the weather's good.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Day Man posted:

My bike engages just fine with the kickstand down.

Found that out the hard way. :doh:

Mine has no kickstand cutoff whatsoever. Fortunately I've only ridden off with the stand down once, and that only for about 50 feet before I entered a left turn, heard a "schhkschsckkDING" and luckily the stand went up without taking the bike down.

Does seem like a good invention.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Cycle Asylum I need your help! My dad just expressed interest in getting into riding. However he is looking at a 1987 Yamaha Virago V 535 with 40,000 miles on it. Oh god its so ugly and lovely and the price isn't good at all even with the pretty good condition it is in and its halfway across the country which he plans on trailering back.

Oh...question thread.

How can I convince my dad he is off his rocker for considering this bike?

also, what is a better bike that is similar but more awesome that I could recommend that he looks at instead?

Thanks! :allears:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

You never mentioned the price, does your dad like cheap poo poo or something?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Sagebrush posted:

Mine has no kickstand cutoff whatsoever. Fortunately I've only ridden off with the stand down once, and that only for about 50 feet before I entered a left turn, heard a "schhkschsckkDING" and luckily the stand went up without taking the bike down.

Does seem like a good invention.

Yeah, that's pretty much all that happened. I was turning left out of a parking lot, heard a scrape, the bike jumped, and the kickstand folded right up. I can't imagine what the people around me were thinking, ha ha ha

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Chris Knight posted:

Also another PO put heated grips on, and it looks like they're wired straight into the electrical system, since I can turn them on without the bike on. Obviously not a good thing! How would they normally connect up?

You can tap them into your running lights (or whatever will only be on when ignition is on) using something like: http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162140

It doesn't seem too difficult to DIY but I'm no expert.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Odette posted:

You never mentioned the price, does your dad like cheap poo poo or something?

Oh it was $2500. I feel like that's awful for a 25 year old virago.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I have a very clean (for an 83) Shadow 750 about to go up for sale as soon as I finish up with the fork seals. Carbs just synced, fresh oil change, recent (2007) top end engine seal and rebuild... hell a recent little bit of everything. Nice blue paint job. Only getting rid of it because it was my starter bike and I've moved on to a pig of a machine made within the last decade instead.

If you have an archives account you can probably do a post history on me and see just about everything that ever went wrong with it and how I went about fixing it. This has been my resource for things the Clymer wouldn't help me fix.

I'm in Chicago and will be looking for 2k for it. This weekend I'll be finishing the forks and giving it the usual polish then taking all sorts of detailed 'for sale' photos. Tell your Dad to buy and trailer this overpriced 80's bike across the country instead :P

Here it is at its best and worst. It's currently looking and running at its best:

I had a habit of buying odds and ends for it off ebay as well. I've got the original signals if you prefer over the tiny leds, some unused gaskets for the engine (bought complete kit, only did the top end), some additional brake lines and a complete spare front tire with rim. I don't know why I bought half this poo poo - but it's all going with the bike lol

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 6, 2012

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Chris Knight posted:

Two electrical questions: a PO replaced the stock turn signals with LEDs on my 2007 Bandit. On Sunday, the instructor I had for my road test said during a pre-ride inspection that I should really have a relay for them. Is that standard?

It makes them blink at a non-adhd rate.

Chris Knight posted:

Wire in a relay on a wire that gets hot after turning the bike on, like a light.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Halo_4am posted:

I have a very clean (for an 83) Shadow 750 about to go up for sale as soon as I finish up with the fork seals. Carbs just synced, fresh oil change, recent (2007) top end engine seal and rebuild... hell a recent little bit of everything. Nice blue paint job. Only getting rid of it because it was my starter bike and I've moved on to a pig of a machine made within the last decade instead.

If you have an archives account you can probably do a post history on me and see just about everything that ever went wrong with it and how I went about fixing it. This has been my resource for things the Clymer wouldn't help me fix.

I'm in Chicago and will be looking for 2k for it. This weekend I'll be finishing the forks and giving it the usual polish then taking all sorts of detailed 'for sale' photos. Tell your Dad to buy and trailer this overpriced 80's bike across the country instead :P

Here it is at its best and worst. It's currently looking and running at its best:

I had a habit of buying odds and ends for it off ebay as well. I've got the original signals if you prefer over the tiny leds, some unused gaskets for the engine (bought complete kit, only did the top end), some additional brake lines and a complete spare front tire with rim. I don't know why I bought half this poo poo - but it's all going with the bike lol

Thanks for the actual response rather than saying my dad likes cheap poo poo. I let him know but he might be in that "Ooo something shiny, gonna buy that and not look at anything else" phase. I'm just glad he's taking my advice and going for an older bike that won't cut to the soul when it gets knocked over and not going for a new fully loaded Harley since he's never been on a bike before. Told him he can try my bike out after he takes the MSF and buys his gear which he should do before spending a few grand on a bike because he might not even like riding. But that's a different battle altogether.

shimmy
Apr 20, 2011
I got a pretty weird problem here. I mean it's pretty weird to my mechanically illiterate mind.
At the end of a 4 day trip my ER6f's exhaust started making a horrible racket, somehow the pipe had come loose where it connects to the muffler. I got a service manual that showed all the parts and there was one, a gasket, we couldn't see on my bike so I ordered one, thinking it had somehow fell off and it'd be a quick fix.
Now that I have it, I do as the manual says to take thing apart and as I go to put the gasket in I notice the old one is still there. I look at what I'm supposed to do and realize that the end result of following every step would be the same as what I started with: an exhaust pipe that isn't fastened to the muffler. There's nothing that fastens the two together. Best I can figure is the pipe should be shoved into the gasket but there's pictures of it put together that show the two just touching.
I think I might understand it someone could elaborate on the step that says "install exhaust pipe". Thanks!

Picture of end result from the manual. I don't know what the clamp is for, as you can see in the picture the pipe doesn't extend into the clamp..
If you want to take a look at the manual, page 256:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16876983/Kawasaki%20ER-6F%20%28EX650C9F%20D9F%29%20Service%20Manual.pdf

(also should I do something about that rust?)

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
The clamp most likely slips over a flange on both ends of each pipe and butts them together tightly. It may not actually slide in together. Try butting them together and taking a picture.

shimmy
Apr 20, 2011
The muffler end is wider than the pipe, the clamp wouldn't touch the pipe unless I take it off the muffler completely, defeating the purpose. You can see it in the lower picture.

edit: it's just me right now so I can't take a picture while holding them together but it'd look like the picture I already posted.

I had thought the gasket would be bigger and slide into the pipe but it doesn't, and it's the right part too. The original gasket is the same size and it's still there in the picture, you can see it through the groove (is that the right word) and that it doesn't extend out from the muffler end.

2nd edit: Found this thread http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=173843
Seems to be a common problem, but I'm still not clear on what it is exactly. Sounds like I need to buy new exhaust pipes..

shimmy fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 6, 2012

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Idk, looks to me that the pipe on the right butts up against it, you can see that lip part even in the pic you posted of the manual.

Take a picture of the clamp for us maybe then, inside and outside of it.

EDIT - Actually yours looks hosed up somehow. Look here:

http://www.magnum1.com/Ninja-650/650_Pages/Modification-Pages/Arrow-Exhast-Install.html

That guy has a length of pipe that slides into that collar on his right after that welded portion - yours doesn't appear to have this.. Does it look like your weld broke or something?

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 6, 2012

shimmy
Apr 20, 2011
Yeah I think that's what it is.
Found a pic here that shows it clearly, my pipe is missing that bit at the end. link. Or rather that bit will still be there in the muffler end.
Gonna need a new one.. drat that looks expensive.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Go to advance or whatever and buy an adapter that fits inside the collar. Get a hacksaw / bandsaw and cut off the bigger portion (the one that won't fit into your pipe.) Go pay some guy at a welding shop 10 bucks to weld it up onto your headers and you're ready to roll. I had to do this to fit new headers onto my R6, it's not terribly difficult for someone to do. The adapters cost ~2 bucks. You can cut the added part to length once you fit it if necessary.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That Arrow exhaust sounds awesome. I know what I want for xmas now.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
So my husband recently got a bike again, and it's made me want to learn to ride myself. I plan on taking the MSF before I get myself a bike, to see if it's something I'd actually enjoy doing or if I just like the idea of it. Can I show up for the class having never ridden a bike in my life, or should I get him to let me toodle around a parking lot on his bike first? I don't even know how to drive a standard (which I know is idiotic).

He seems kind of hesitant because he thinks his bike would be too much for me (or maybe he doesn't want to risk me laying it over, heh). It's a Honda Nighthawk 650, for the record.

I haven't gotten a helmet yet so it's not like I can run out tomorrow and learn but I'm just curious. Is there a newbie rider thread that I missed that would make good reading?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
If you can ride a bicycle you are ready for the MSF. I wouldn't start putting around on a heavy old 650 until after the class, it's just asking for trouble.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
The msf is fine for complete beginners but if you can get at least the theory of clutching and shifting working in your mind before you go you'll be ahead of the class. Don't try and ride without proper gear and if you do decide to get your own bike you're going to hear the words ninja 250 a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Heh, I've already been hearing Ninja 250 thrown around. I really don't want a sporty bike though, I'd love to get a cruiser if it comes to me getting my own bike. No idea what would be a good starter though, seems like they're all so big and heavy.