Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
It doesn't stand for Bachelor of Science, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

BS from Glenn Beck University, PhD from Newt University.

Your move libtard :smug:

I would also have accepted Clown College and Hamburger U. as proper alma maters.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Bombadilillo posted:

p1: Michelle is a democrat
p2: Democrats are hypocrites
p3: Michelle said to eat vegetables.

c: She is fat and wants to burg it up while brainwashing your kids(to eat vegetables)

Don't you guys follow the political cartoon thread? Jeez...

Obsessively post every news photo of her eating a hamburger because no one is allowed a break every so often.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I guarantee you she doesn't have 5 degrees. At most an Associates, Bachelors, and a masters, and she's making up the other two.

And if it's not in your field, you don't have to take hardly any classes. A science degree might call for two intro history classes, two intro english classes, and one econ class.

Anyone with a PhD most likely only knows about one of the following: history, science, or economics. Possibly none.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

XyloJW posted:

I guarantee you she doesn't have 5 degrees. At most an Associates, Bachelors, and a masters, and she's making up the other two.

And if it's not in your field, you don't have to take hardly any classes. A science degree might call for two intro history classes, two intro english classes, and one econ class.

Anyone with a PhD most likely only knows about one of the following: history, science, or economics. Possibly none.

Oh I know. And I love the immediate jump into Argument from Authority (never mind that there's no specification that her supposed academic authority has any relation to the topic at hand) when I called her out on her idiotic statement.

I have 27 degrees and 15 doctorates from the best schools in the world posted:

Actually I do CarterUSM. But as a typical whining Dem go on and defend it. 5 college degrees and a PhD later...I am so disgusted at our Govt...But go ahead CarterUSM Why dont you fill us in on the debt as I am sure that your professional life of what I am seeing is video games and beer...Not the Capitalistic structure of America.

(Note that she actually can't see anything about my professional life, since I have my FB profile locked down tighter than Romney's tax returns.)

But poo poo, man, video games and beer sound pretty good compared to "tens of thousands in debt and unable to get a job in my field with an honors degree from a top university thanks to trying to change careers in my mid-30s."

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

CarterUSM posted:

Oh I know. And I love the immediate jump into Argument from Authority (never mind that there's no specification that her supposed academic authority has any relation to the topic at hand) when I called her out on her idiotic statement.

You should basically copy/paste this really awesome post by this awesome guy CarterUSM over in the Political Cartoons thread.

CarterUSM posted:

[Negative interest rate] works when the interest rate is lower than the rate of inflation. This is a link to the current yields on the Treasury Inflation Protected Securities (TIPS). These are Treasury bonds that have their returns linked to the Consumer Price Index (CPI), the most commonly-used inflation number, so the interest rates are "real", that is to say, you don't have to factor in anticipated inflation to their values.

What those negative numbers mean is that investors are willing to accept a negative return on their money for 5, 7, 10, and (barely) 20-year Treasuries.

How does this work? TIPS are bonds that pay a fixed coupon rate, but adjust the principal based on the movements of the CPI. As such, if there’s a hypothetical coupon rate (i.e. the interest rate that the borrower pays the lender) of 10% for a $1000 bond, you’d get $100 per year in interest. If the inflation rate is 5% over the course of that year, the principal ($1000) is adjusted to $1000*1.05 = $1050, to reflect the inflation. The 10% coupon rate is now worth $105 per year (note how this also reflects the inflation rate).

Like all Treasury securities, TIPS are issued via an auction, and the interest rate is determined by the price that the buyers are willing to pay by the mechanism of discounting. That means that, for example, if buyers are demanding a high interest rate on the bond, they’ll be willing to pay less than its face value, like so:
If I’m auctioning a $1000 bond with a 10% coupon rate and 1 year maturity, and someone’s only willing to pay me $990 for it, they’re demanding a higher effective interest rate. Like so:

- I lend them $990

- They pay me $100 interest (the coupon payment is based on the coupon rate and the face value, not the selling price).

- At the end of the year, they pay me the $1000 back.

So my effective interest rate is: ($1000 [what they owe me] + $100 [interest] - $990 [what I paid]) / $990 = 11.11%

Now, the OPPOSITE situation is what you see here. The buyers are willing to accept a negative interest rate on their investment, which means they're willing to pay more than the face value of the bond, like so:

- Using an interest rate of -1.36% (the 5-year quote for 9/5), a face value of $1000, a maturity of 5 years, and a bond valuation formula, we get an auction price of $1006.83

That means that as of yesterday, people were willing to pay the Federal government $1006.83 with the agreement that the government would pay them $1000 in 5 years (in inflation-adjusted real money).

(also, someone check me on that, it’s been years since I’ve had to do a bond valuation, and I’m not absolutely certain that I’m calculating it correctly in the context of federal auctions.)

Does that explanation make sense?

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

XyloJW posted:

You should basically copy/paste this really awesome post by this awesome guy CarterUSM over in the Political Cartoons thread.

What an elitist rear end in a top hat.

absolutezero
Aug 18, 2004

World Domination has had a momentary setback...talk amoungst yourselves
This video has started making the rounds on Facebook amongst my conservative friends. It takes "You didn't build that" to its logical conclusion of parents asking their children to give up their A's so that the F students can pass too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EZQvSCGaJI

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

CarterUSM posted:

Oh my God. Someone who is saying that she has "5 college degrees and a PhD" wrote the following paragraph when a friend of mine on FB called Clinton a "stunnah".

And a bit later:

I would LOVE to see a copy of her dissertation. :allears:

It's been a few years since I took a college Econ course, but is Keynes in 101 or 102? I guess it depends on your school and how quickly they go through the fundamentals of economics before they get into the macro and government concepts.

Could you link her Facebook page? I'm dying to see her profile and find out what her 5 other degrees are and what her PhD is in and where she obtained it.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Bruce Leroy posted:

It's been a few years since I took a college Econ course, but is Keynes in 101 or 102? I guess it depends on your school and how quickly they go through the fundamentals of economics before they get into the macro and government concepts.

Could you link her Facebook page? I'm dying to see her profile and find out what her 5 other degrees are and what her PhD is in and where she obtained it.

Specifically studying Keynesian economic theory (along with other Economic schools) would be a higher-level seminar course, most likely. Exposure to the basic concepts that she was getting so laughably wrong, though, would be in an introductory Macroeconomics course.

As to her degree-granting and the like, I wouldn't link someone's FB page without their permission. Just seems the polite thing to do.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/EW5IdwltaAc?rel=0

I got this link emailed to me from my dad, but I don't know enough to refute it.

I assume it is technically correct, but his assumption is probably that taxes shouldn't be increased (hardcore conservative). I know that the comparison to Greece is bullshit because it does not talk about debt in terms of debt to GDP ratio. Also, I assume it considers bush tax cuts to be permanent.

What is the best way to refute this?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

absolutezero posted:

This video has started making the rounds on Facebook amongst my conservative friends. It takes "You didn't build that" to its logical conclusion of parents asking their children to give up their A's so that the F students can pass too.

I like how the idea that a publicly funded school system allowed a child to be educated on their nation's history instead of working in the coal mines is an absurd notion.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

CarterUSM posted:

Specifically studying Keynesian economic theory (along with other Economic schools) would be a higher-level seminar course, most likely. Exposure to the basic concepts that she was getting so laughably wrong, though, would be in an introductory Macroeconomics course.

As to her degree-granting and the like, I wouldn't link someone's FB page without their permission. Just seems the polite thing to do.

Rats. How about just a list of her degrees and schools from the education section of her profile?

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Bruce Leroy posted:

Rats. How about just a list of her degrees and schools from the education section of her profile?

There aren't any. :iiam:

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Since her DNC speech, I've been getting a lot of Michelle obama taxpayers' money vacation spending
spree blah blah arguments.

Any decent rebuttals out there?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DaFuente posted:

Since her DNC speech, I've been getting a lot of Michelle obama taxpayers' money vacation spending
spree blah blah arguments.

Any decent rebuttals out there?

"She's the loving first lady, you mouth breather, also do you think she has literally no money?"

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh

Glitterbomber posted:

"She's the loving first lady, you mouth breather, also do you think she has literally no money?"
After posing the question, I realized that I was talking about a successful Harvard Law grad. Michelle owns. gently caress the haters.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DaFuente posted:

After posing the question, I realized that I was talking about a successful Harvard Law grad. Michelle owns. gently caress the haters.

From time to time I find it therapeutic to just go after fucksticks like these with gusto. If I ran across some asswipe saying this I'd immediately jump on them with something along the lines of how it must be so unpleasant for them that the First Lady (or the President for that matter) isn't stooping in shackles over a cotton field.

If they start fumbling over not wanting to see her in shackles then admit that women weren't typically kept shackled and instead were more often kept in the house as nannies.

Then when they talk about how they wouldn't want her anywhere near their kids, ask whether they want all women to be locked in the kitchen or just black women.

Etcetera. Basically, troll them relentlessly and with abandon. Comments in the local paper tilt towards the :bahgawd: anarchists-while-a-Democrat-is-in-charge types? Caricature time. Go in guns blazing about how we really should abolish the government and how the constitution is an unjust abrogation on my rights because I sure as gently caress wasn't given a chance to sign it. Pepper the comments section about how kids shouldn't be obligated to go to school. When the municipal government does something stupid but ultimately benign, proclaim that you don't give a poo poo because taxes are literally the only thing you give a poo poo about and the city can do anything it wants as long as it doesn't raise taxes. Become the most caricatured off-the-rez nutjob you can make up, and constantly out-nut anyone and everyone. Drag them into the deep end, make them cheer for heinous poo poo. You'd be surprised at how some of the low-watt ones will go right along, agreeing that there should never be any police, that potholes are just god's way of saying taxes are too high (see, it's UNDERMINING the MARKET EVERYONE THRIVES ON) or demanding the city stop plowing streets because yours are plowed (in the city) and you don't want your hard-earned dollars going to those leeches out in the 'burbs who don't even contribute.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

absolutezero posted:

It's been around longer than that.

The analogy fails on pretty much every level if you put any critical thought into it.

Grades are an unlimited resource, money is not.

Additionally, grades are capped - you can't get higher than an A+. Ask people posting that video if they support wealth caps.

In reality you'd have a fixed pool of points- let's say 100 students with an available pool of 10000 points. In theory, everybody can earn an A, right?
Under the current wealth distribution in America:

1 student would have 3500 points.
4 students would share 2500 points.
5 students would share 1100 points.
10 students would share 1400 points.
80 students would share 1500 points.

The top 10% have more than they'd ever need to get an A, while the bottom 80% would be fighting for scraps.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 7, 2012

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

absolutezero posted:

American Business is a whiny stomping child, a good video.

JakBauer
Nov 13, 2003

BAH BAH BAH
Just saw this classic on FB from a Romney supporter, and the OP wrote:

Wow! I've always believed you should have served in military to be the commander and chief !

No response when someone called them out on Romney's activity during Vietnam.

HMDK
Sep 5, 2009

...and they all pretend they're orphans, and their memory's like a train

JakBauer posted:

Wow! I've always believed you should have served in military to be the commander and chief !

Ask him why he thinks that's relevant, and not that he'd been a cop, homeless, a nurse, a pipe-fitter, unemployed, or disguted by the idiocy of the very argument.

HMDK fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 7, 2012

HMDK
Sep 5, 2009

...and they all pretend they're orphans, and their memory's like a train
E... double post, ignore.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Ask him what unit Ronald Reagan was assigned to. Ask him where George W. Bush was stationed.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

XyloJW posted:

Ask him what unit Ronald Reagan was assigned to. Ask him where George W. Bush was stationed.

Didn't Reagan basically stay stateside and play movie star on government payroll?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Wikipedia posted:

On January 14, 1943, he was promoted to first lieutenant and was sent to the Provisional Task Force Show Unit of This Is The Army at Burbank, California.[36] He returned to the First Motion Picture Unit after completing this duty and was promoted to captain on July 22, 1943.[33]

"That was a good movie, son. Here, have a promotion."

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

LP97S posted:

Here's a new one I got, the images are not changed.

Superpoop pulls through with respect to holes and money we put in them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The Entire Universe posted:

Didn't Reagan basically stay stateside and play movie star on government payroll?

Yeah. He also claimed that things he did in movies were actual actions he took part in during the war, up to and including telling the Israeli PM that he (Reagan) helped liberate Buchenwald despite literally never leaving California throughout the war.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

cbirdsong posted:

The lipid golem is one of the D&D's most feared foes.
What's its CR? Is it susceptible to critical hits? :ohdear:

It always amazes when, for all the Republicans fellate the idea of servicemen and people going from humble beginnings to wealthy, they are so hostile to prime examples and laud the exact opposite. Obama and Biden both came from humble beginnings, but no really they're the elitist ones! Reagan and Bush and Romney are patriots defending the country, Kerry is just a pretender! :psyduck:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

JakBauer posted:

I like the :ironicat: of this picture. Obama sucks he never served in the military he shouldn't be commander in chief! Vote Romney!!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

JakBauer posted:

Just needs a photoshop of Romney riding his bike in France during the Vietnam war or that one Bain picture where him and his Bain friends are posing like wall street caricatures.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

myron cope posted:

I like the :ironicat: of this picture. Obama sucks he never served in the military he shouldn't be commander in chief! Vote Romney!!
Fun fact: Romney, despite his looks, is only a year younger than Bill Clinton (and a year older than Gore, who did serve). He was the perfect age to go to Vietnam, had he not been a draft dodger Mormon missionary.

For context, Barack Obama was 6 years old when the Tet Offensive occurred.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I wouldnt/dont have a problem with his draft dodging, if I hadnt seen that rear end in a top hat counter protesting the hippies.

Seriously. This war is so important we have to send people to die in it. Just not me. gently caress you Romney, you are a pathetic human being.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Bombadilillo posted:

I wouldnt/dont have a problem with his draft dodging, if I hadnt seen that rear end in a top hat counter protesting the hippies.

Seriously. This war is so important we have to send people to die in it. Just not me. gently caress you Romney, you are a pathetic human being.

Motherfuck, how did Romney ever get elected to anything?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

Motherfuck, how did Romney ever get elected to anything?

Money/being less of a neocon caricature then he is now.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah this is all I needed to know about his character along with the bullying incident. It's possible he's changed a lot over the course of his life, but I'm willing to bet against it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Radish posted:

Yeah this is all I needed to know about his character along with the bullying incident. It's possible he's changed a lot over the course of his life, but I'm willing to bet against it.

Im not even aware of the bullying incident.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Romney and some friends made a bunch of gay jokes about a dude who had long hair, and then one day they held him down and cut his hair off.

This was in rich-people equivalent of high school. He says he doesn't remember it, but doesn't deny it, because he liked to pull pranks as a kid. The other guys who were involved said they remember and deeply regret it. The kid, I believe, is dead now.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Bombadilillo posted:

This. Mormon men are expected to serve missions, I don't begrudge him doing the orthodox thing and going. Avoiding the draft was a convenient side effect of this. But to combine that with being a snarky rear end in a top hat about the issue, that's totally awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

HMDK posted:

Ask him why he thinks that's relevant, and not that he'd been a cop, homeless, a nurse, a pipe-fitter, unemployed, or disguted by the idiocy of the very argument.

Also, there are plenty of great presidents who never served in the military in any capacity, like Lincoln. The great thing about Lincoln that further assails their bullshit argument is that Lincoln supplemented his lack of military experience with good, old-fashioned book learning at the Library of Congress, which also refutes their anti-intellectual arguments against academics and formal learning, and he and Mary Todd actually moved into a military barracks to live with real Union soldiers.

ZobarStyl posted:

Fun fact: Romney, despite his looks, is only a year younger than Bill Clinton (and a year older than Gore, who did serve). He was the perfect age to go to Vietnam, had he not been a draft dodger Mormon missionary.

For context, Barack Obama was 6 years old when the Tet Offensive occurred.

Romney didn't just use his Mormon missionary work in loving France to dodge the draft, he also received college student deferments both before and after that missionary work AND protested in favor of the Vietnam War. So, not only is Romney an absurd stereotype of an out of touch rich guy, he's also a chickenhawk stereotype.

The Macaroni posted:

This. Mormon men are expected to serve missions, I don't begrudge him doing the orthodox thing and going. Avoiding the draft was a convenient side effect of this. But to combine that with being a snarky rear end in a top hat about the issue, that's totally awesome.

Yeah, but his mission was in loving France, while poorer/non-douchey Mormons tend to have missions in third world nations, you know, actually helping people who need it. Romney has never experienced any kind of hardship or adversity in his entire life, it's just been one huge coast while he makes other people's lives miserable, e.g. gay kids in his private prep school, young men being drafted to fight in Vietnam, laborers who lose their jobs because of Bain Capital, etc. He may have made a lot of money with shrewd business decisions, but he's never had to overcome anything in his life, and if his business decisions hadn't worked out, he would have been able to fall back on daddy's money just like George W. Bush actually did. Mitt Romney is basically just a more intelligent and talented George W. Bush.