Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

Scientastic posted:

Chips, not French fries. Not just a quibble about English vs. American, but because they are different things.

And chip butties are really delicious.

Oh for the love of god chips are french fries, 90% of the chips I've had in the U.K. are identical to 90% of non-fast food fries I've had in NA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Toast posted:

Oh for the love of god chips are french fries, 90% of the chips I've had in the U.K. are identical to 90% of non-fast food fries I've had in NA.
you're wrong so hard, dude. chip butties are p. different. it's due to both frying technique and potato choice.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
Fine fine, british potatoes are magic

For the record though, either as the only filling in a sandwich is ridiculously stupid.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Scientastic posted:

Reading this post, I could almost believe that you've never had a hangover.

Realtalk I've never understood all the talk of oily starchbomb hangover food. The last thing I want to do when I'm hung over is eat anything at all.

edit: I mostly just want to malinger.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Kenning posted:

Realtalk I've never understood all the talk of oily starchbomb hangover food. The last thing I want to do when I'm hung over is eat anything at all.

best thing to eat for hangover food, from a friend of mine who is a total waster, is simple foods. In this case boiled spaghetti with butter and a bit of salt. Add a sauce and were talking ralph country.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kenning posted:

I think there's a little bit of a difference between when you're like hungover IE hovering over the toilet and tunneling your head under pillows from the dawn while you try to sip water and moan 'oh godddddd oh godddddd' while rolling around a lot before deciding you're feeling better and standing up to go take a shower and then you get to the toilet and take a piss and you're like fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk and this huge pounding comes on in your head where you can actually hear it and it's like blood rushing with each heartbeat and you grab toilet paper and drape it over your head in a feeble attempt to block out the little sliver of light that's coming out of the bathroom closet door and you sit there for 30 minutes and decide you were better off in bed and then lay there 30 minutes and decide you were better off on the toilet and then dry heave a few times and realize you feel really hungry but you are way too hungover to actually make it anywhere for food so you go to the refrigerator and open the door and stare in it for like 5 minutes before realizing you have nothing ready to eat so you're like fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk again and decide to go back to sleep and then you wake up in a cold sweat and it's 8pm and you realize you still haven't eaten anything all day and you're shaking and christ gently caress it's time for some noodle soup (that you'll inevitably puke back up 10 minutes later)

vs

you wake up dehydrated, your head hurts, you're hungry - you take a shower, are starving, and go out to get a shitload of oily starchbomb hangover food that tastes really good and is indulgent (and follow it up with a beer).

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Fresh pineapple and pho, or failing that, a tall glass of Gammel Dansk bitter and a five minute wait before the piss ditch along the festival area fence to see if it gets evicted again. But always, always a long, hard walk afterwards.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

So, this lady is basically the best ever. Everyone make her foods.

http://zsuzsaisinthekitchen.blogspot.ca/

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

So, this lady is basically the best ever. Everyone make her foods.

http://zsuzsaisinthekitchen.blogspot.ca/

:3:

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Never stop drinking. If you do the pain comes back.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I woke up p. hungover today, and I got a milanesa torta. It's working out just fine. Also got a fat quesadilla with asada and hongos for later.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

mindphlux posted:

I think there's a little bit of a difference between
:stare: You've been there. I can tell.

I don't see why people keep loving this up. You eat the greasy starchy poo poo *before* you pass out. It's your last act before entering the Passout Zone. Here's the totally awesome broscience theory:

- All that nasty stomach acid that's been churning around all night and has been exacerbated by your steady diet of PBRs and whiskey shots needs something to dissolve.
- Grease forms a magical buffer solution for the acid which now has something to work on in the form of a simple starch.
- If you are going to hurl, you want something relatively uncomplicated to come back up so pick your greasy snack with an eye to avoiding highly spiced food - that poo poo burns coming and going.

There you go, three simple premises. Implementing this is left as an exercise to the reader.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Guys what are the thoughts on 'sando'?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Halalelujah posted:

Never stop drinking. If you do the pain comes back.

It is a fine line between this and the shakes (I live here, hi). Now if you'll excuse me, I'll take my afternoon digestive of rue-flavored grappa. Not kidding. It has sprigs of rue floating in the bottle.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

CuddleChunks posted:

- Grease forms a magical buffer solution for the acid which now has something to work on in the form of a simple starch.
Actually it's simpler broscience than that. Alcohol is a solvent; it dissolves grease. If you feed it enough grease, it's too busy dissolving that to dissolve your brain cells, intestinal lining, etc.

Also eggs are a great hangover breakfast because the yolks contain compounds that help the liver do the heavy lifting with late-phase alcohol metabolism. Big starchy things like potatoes help with this as well, because acetic acid is vinegar and malt vinegar goes very well with potatoes.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

bartolimu posted:

Actually it's simpler broscience than that. Alcohol is a solvent; it dissolves grease. If you feed it enough grease, it's too busy dissolving that to dissolve your brain cells, intestinal lining, etc.

Also eggs are a great hangover breakfast because the yolks contain compounds that help the liver do the heavy lifting with late-phase alcohol metabolism. Big starchy things like potatoes help with this as well, because acetic acid is vinegar and malt vinegar goes very well with potatoes.

Right, but by the time you're consuming the breakfast, your liver will likely have metabolized most if not all of the alcohol consumed eight hours beforehand, unless you backload and or don't sleep.

The evening hangover being the worst thing, as awful as day drinking is wonderful.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
All that beet chat got to me and I picked up a load at the farmer's market a few days ago. Sure hope borscht freezes well because 7L of it is going to take a while to work through.

May have gotten a bit carried away.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Dunno wtf "boneless beef shoulder ribs" are.(Probably cross cut chuck steaks?) But we'll see if they're awesome or terrible for 2bux/lb in 3 or so hours!

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Dunno wtf "boneless beef shoulder ribs" are.
picturing a pretty messed up cow here

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

The shakes come from a magnesium (or was it manganese? gently caress if I can remember) deficit due to said mineral being used as a catalyst in metabolizing either ethanol or a byproduct of ethanol, apparently old-school drunkards would never go to bed after a night on the piss without downing some food and, most importantly, a bottle of Real Mineral Water. That is, Vichy or equally salty and strong or GTFO. Problem is that Real Mineral Water is a loving hassle to get hold of these days because modern people are weaklings who can't deal with proper mineral taste.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Verdict: Definitely some weird way to cut chuck. So basically chuck "ribs". Totally awesome, would buy again.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Went to Muriel's

I have an announcement to make: New Orleans has some loving fantastic food.

Their coffee? Eh...

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Went to Muriel's

I have an announcement to make: New Orleans has some loving fantastic food.

Their coffee? Eh...
cafe du mond isn't so bad. Worth the line for the beignets.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

bartolimu posted:

So I just ate 18 tacos, one part lengua, one part tripa, one part pastor. Also washed down with a tamarindo 16oz. Is this correct

edit: Feels like it was a roaring success. Looking at the menu now, the 20 taco platter came with a pitcher of horchata. Not sure how my companions dropped the ball on that.

icehewk fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 9, 2012

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Tamarindo is always the right answer. Unless you're an horchata guy like me. :)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Vegetable Melange posted:

cafe du mond isn't so bad. Worth the line for the beignets.

Wasn't terribly impressed with them. They use pre-made mix, doesn't cook evenly, throw on too much sugar. I've had better ones in Los Angeles at Grand Lux Cafe.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Wasn't terribly impressed with them. They use pre-made mix, doesn't cook evenly, throw on too much sugar. I've had better ones in Los Angeles at Grand Lux Cafe.

Being as I spent the week in NOLA two sheets to the wind, it may have been a sentimental thing.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You can't beat the setting. Plus chicory in coffee is goooood......

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
And good for any cases of worms you might be carrying.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Toast posted:

Fine fine, british potatoes are magic

For the record though, either as the only filling in a sandwich is ridiculously stupid.

British potatoes are not magical but French Fries and Chips are different things. 90% of non-fast food fries in NA might be just like Chip Shop Chips in the UK. That just means they're not French Fries either.

Most chip butties are on roll anyway as a Chip Sandwich is basically impossible to eat. But they are really really good.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

A chip sandwich is only impossible to eat if you do it wrong. Get two slices of bread, line chips along half of each slice, add ketchup and fold. Your chips are going nowhere. Food of (anaemic, sweaty) champions.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
Okay, that's nasty.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Filboid Studge posted:

A chip sandwich is only impossible to eat if you do it wrong. Get two slices of bread, line chips along half of each slice, add ketchup and fold. Your chips are going nowhere. Food of (anaemic, sweaty) champions.

WHAT? Chip butties need to have chippy sauce on them.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

This is full blown crazypants hilarious/awful:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/big-apple-pizza-fort-pierce

quote:

Well.. I'd eat there but after seeing the owner grab our leftist President I felt compelled to disrespect his establishment as much as the President disrespects our constitution. Shame on you Scott Van Duzer for thumbing your nose at all the small business owners this President has disrespected for the last four years. I guess you DIDN'T BUILD IT!
I hope you're prepared for many more Yelps like this!!! Maybe you weren't thinking, or maybe you are the only liberal pro Obama business owner, who knows.. but you won't get mine or anyone else's business for your treachery.

quote:

Cottonwood, AZ
1.0 star rating
9/9/2012
Talk about committing business suicide. After picking up Obama, your books are gonna be in the red pretty soon. Not too smart.

:catstare:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
NOT MY PRES.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Obama and pizza both end with a vowel. Coincidence?
They should make a new pizza with extra RED sauce.

vvvv

They're going to be throwing chicken sandwiches through his window soon.
"Do you know how fat we all sound right now?"

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 10, 2012

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Oh no a handful of pissy lunatic conservatives won't eat at his restaurant anymore :ohdear:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

This is the best thing ever.

I want this embroidered as a sampler to hang in my kitchen.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

1. Horchata 4 Eva

2. Tried to be smart and ate lunch before I started drinking on Sunday. Bartender seemed to be pouring a little heavy but no problem. I'll have another. Hm. Starting to feel a little buzzed... one more. BAM. WASTED. I watched bartender pour someone else's drink, and by my count she put at least three and a half ounces of booze in it. The food had slowed down the first drink and a half and then it all hit me at once. I spent the rest of the day passed out on the couch. Not a pro move.

3. I got sucked into a really awkward political conversation in the checkout line at the PX. I was buying a National Enquirer (don't ask) and he was reading the cover as he scanned it. I said something like "I love to see what crazy stuff they make up about people" and he asks me if I'm an Obama supporter (I say that I am) and then launches into this weird anti-Obama rant, as if it had something to do with the National Enquirer. I guess I need to learn to be meaner, because I just kind of stood there looking bewildered until he finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

3. I got sucked into a really awkward political conversation in the checkout line at the PX. I was buying a National Enquirer (don't ask) and he was reading the cover as he scanned it. I said something like "I love to see what crazy stuff they make up about people" and he asks me if I'm an Obama supporter (I say that I am) and then launches into this weird anti-Obama rant, as if it had something to do with the National Enquirer. I guess I need to learn to be meaner, because I just kind of stood there looking bewildered until he finished.

Pfft, just preempt it by talking about orgone generators and Ron Paul.