Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk i've never used it irl. but its all square brackets and NSthis NSthat NSwhatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Shaggar posted:

idk i've never used it irl. but its all square brackets and NSthis NSthat NSwhatever.

i don't see how that makes it ugly

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
designed for apple computer by the love-cox team, lmbo

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
i won't stand for this blatant trolling

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Mr Dog posted:

regexes
Java,
no, dont

\\\\

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

both this company and the last one i was at had an urgent need for experienced perl programmers

ive heard lots of stuff like this and it gives me a glimmer o ' hope

this is good news and i don't know how to gauge "experienced" but im workin as hard as i can to get there as fast as i can, believe you me

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

ive heard lots of stuff like this and it gives me a glimmer o ' hope

this is good news and i don't know how to gauge "experienced" but im workin as hard as i can to get there as fast as i can, believe you me

i had a phone interview like a week ago for a junior sysadmin position (i'm not really qualified for one unless they want to let me learn on the job, but worth a try anyway). from what i remember, the posting said that knowing perl was preferred.

on the phone, i brought perl up and the guy almost instantly said "if you were using perl, i would fire you"

welp that's my perl story

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

gucci void main posted:

i had a phone interview like a week ago for a junior sysadmin position (i'm not really qualified for one unless they want to let me learn on the job, but worth a try anyway). from what i remember, the posting said that knowing perl was preferred.

on the phone, i brought perl up and the guy almost instantly said "if you were using perl, i would fire you"

welp that's my perl story

Professional

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

vapid cutlery posted:

Professional

edit: no not really. maybe that they're not so professional

double sulk fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 8, 2012

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

gucci void main posted:

this was for a role @ wharton, fwiw

Is that supposed to mean something

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Apocadall posted:

if i wanted to write a game trainer, for no other reason than seeing if i can, do i have the right line of thought here of the direction i go in? you have to find the initial spots in memory that you want to modify and then use a program assigned to keys to change those to what you want to be? so if i wanted to increase money in a game by 1000 or some arbitrary number, i have to first located where that number is stored in memory, figure what hex corresponds to it and then assign a button to the +1000 trainer to cause it to increase it?

i'm sure i'm oversimplifying so what should i be learning to be able to accomplish this? i should probably start by looking into memory addressing since i haven't looked at that stuff in years.

figured it'd be a neat little project for learning more about programming and how computers work in general

yeah basically

if you want you could try playing around with emulators for old consoles since those tended to not try to do tricky things with memory (and also if you gently caress up memory editing in an emulator you won't crash your entire computer)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
theres nothing wrong with perl for the right job and it is the best pick for a lot of tasks. it is a stupid and counterproductive pick for a lot of tasks too and the key is knowing how to differentiate. you all know this though.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Jonny 290 posted:

theres nothing wrong with perl for the right job and it is the best pick for a lot of tasks. it is a stupid and counterproductive pick for a lot of tasks too and the key is knowing how to differentiate. you all know this though.

I desperately hope we all secretly know this and no one actually believes their toy language is the best for everything

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

vapid cutlery posted:

I desperately hope we all secretly know this and no one actually believes their toy language is the best for everything

no way i totally meant it when i said js everywhere

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I don't know anything, secretly or otherwise

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I have advanced alzheimers, every moment for me is like being born anew

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i have a family history of Alzheimer's and I plan on having a glass framed pistol with a picture of my immediate family behind it and a label that says "if you do not recognize these people, break glass"

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
50 First Butts

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Apocadall posted:

if i wanted to write a game trainer, for no other reason than seeing if i can, do i have the right line of thought here of the direction i go in? you have to find the initial spots in memory that you want to modify and then use a program assigned to keys to change those to what you want to be? so if i wanted to increase money in a game by 1000 or some arbitrary number, i have to first located where that number is stored in memory, figure what hex corresponds to it and then assign a button to the +1000 trainer to cause it to increase it?

i'm sure i'm oversimplifying so what should i be learning to be able to accomplish this? i should probably start by looking into memory addressing since i haven't looked at that stuff in years.

figured it'd be a neat little project for learning more about programming and how computers work in general

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoftICE

e: okay - discontinued, but look into similar things
I think MS gives away its driver SDK and other debuggers.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 8, 2012

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
lol sice it aint 1995 grandad

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

yaoi prophet posted:

yeah basically

if you want you could try playing around with emulators for old consoles since those tended to not try to do tricky things with memory (and also if you gently caress up memory editing in an emulator you won't crash your entire computer)

i dont know what counts as tricky things with memory but old consoles are full of bank switching and custom chips cuz u know they fucken had to

if you want to gently caress around with any kind of hooking another process and loving around inside its internals the way to go is DOS since that's basically how every single program worked anyway

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Apocadall posted:

cheat engine will do what you want

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

its ugly

to help: shaggar you should hate it because

* duck typing
* manual memory allocation/unmanaged
* include files and other greybeard poo poo
* apple

it is the culmination of everything you hate about languages that aren't java/c#.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah thats what i thought but i wasnt sure. who teh heck manages they own memory ittyool 2012

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
mostly people who care about the impact of garbage collection, no matter how often that belief is misguided.

really, unless you're power constrained or resource constrained or real time, gc is a no-brainer. and gc is not the be and end all of automatic memory management either.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
indeed, CRUD apps and one-offs should be garbage collected. as for the rest of the universe,

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
this has been my contribution to the "the vast majority of programming that programmers do is [the kind of programming that I usually do]" genre

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

objc has garbage collection

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

tef posted:

to help: shaggar you should hate it because

* duck typing
* manual memory allocation/unmanaged
* include files and other greybeard poo poo
* apple

it is the culmination of everything you hate about languages that aren't java/c#.

it has 2 forms of automatic memory management. garbage collection, which blows, for obvious reasons, and ARC, where the compiler automatically inserts retain/release stuff by using static analysis to figure out where they should go

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
ARC is the most sicknasty thing going

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

vapid cutlery posted:

ARC is the most sicknasty thing going
http://paulgraham.com/arc.html yep

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

graham release the arc

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"

tef posted:

mostly people who care about the impact of garbage collection, no matter how often that belief is misguided.

really, unless you're power constrained or resource constrained or real time, gc is a no-brainer. and gc is not the be and end all of automatic memory management either.

yeah it's a good thing mobile phones aren't power or resource constrained and therefor excellent candidates for garbage collection.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

When doing stuff that requires some appearance of memory efficiency:

In C: why don't I hoist this struct into a union with its counterpart datatype being a linked list, when i free the struct i can shove it in this lifo thingy, or hell i can allocate the entire block of memory from a pool I've allocated and can just alloc stuff from it like crazy and free the entire block when I'm done

In Java: OH GOD gently caress gently caress gently caress FUC WHY IS THIS ALLLLL SO SHIIIIIT :suicide:

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

multigl posted:

yeah it's a good thing mobile phones aren't power or resource constrained and therefor excellent candidates for garbage collection.

that's why arc is perfect

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
even without ARC memory management is really simple in objc

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
good thing doing lots and lots of atomic increment and decrement operations to manage dem refcounts hasn't ever been shown to take a giant poo poo on program performance either

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
At Game Closure, we are building a state-of-the-art SDK to help developers make games in pure Javascript

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

gucci void main posted:

graham release the arc
graham is like that guy in batman who wont stop talking talking about bats and how they'll survive the next evolutionary crisis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mr Dog posted:

good thing doing lots and lots of atomic increment and decrement operations to manage dem refcounts hasn't ever been shown to take a giant poo poo on program performance either

for short-lived objects it never has to do that because the compiler can manage it