Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Funhilde posted:

What about using stickers they use for house numbers? It probably even comes on a roll or in sheets.

This will be our backup solution, it's just kind of a pain in the rear end to sit there and cut out all the tiny surfaces we'd need.

I'll link him to the thread and let him read everybody's advice :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I have a lot more time than sense so I wanted to do a costume of Artorias from Dark Souls, but I've never really made anything that looks like knight armor before. I thought that the shoulderpad, elbow pads, and helmet would be the hardest because they seem to be rather thick and round but really I'm pretty clueless about how to do any of it. The cloth drape that's attached to the helmet will cover up a lot of the joints for the neck and its something I could do reasonably well but I don't know what to make the rest of it out of.
Here's a couple pictures

http://imgur.com/CnMqC
http://imgur.com/2LqBZ

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol
That's cool. All the ones I've ever seen at the store is either blue or pink.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights

Veev posted:

I have a lot more time than sense so I wanted to do a costume of Artorias from Dark Souls, but I've never really made anything that looks like knight armor before. I thought that the shoulderpad, elbow pads, and helmet would be the hardest because they seem to be rather thick and round but really I'm pretty clueless about how to do any of it. The cloth drape that's attached to the helmet will cover up a lot of the joints for the neck and its something I could do reasonably well but I don't know what to make the rest of it out of.
Here's a couple pictures

http://imgur.com/CnMqC
http://imgur.com/2LqBZ

That looks amazing. Have fun with the construction. As for how there are a lot of different ways to make armor ranging in price and difficulty. My current favorite is the cardboard greatstuff/foam methods. Though I would really like to try Wonderflex/Worbla's though price keeps me at bay. Sense my current piece isn't full body armor I am tempted to try, though it depends on finances. Kamui Cosplay has a really helpful journal and youtube channel that go through most of the methods. She's a cosplay god really.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I read the thread, but apologies if I missed it. I really, really want to do a Garrus costume eventually. The only thing holding me back though is the mask. I found some high res reference shots from the game and a friend for their first time did Madam Vastra for DragonCon so I'm feeling confident I can pull this off. Sculpting and casting a mask are something I've never done though, so any tips or a good tutorial would be greatly appreciated. I'm giving myself a wide timeframe so that isn't an issue (I know I wont make NYCC/Halloween).

Reference shots

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Fooley posted:

I read the thread, but apologies if I missed it. I really, really want to do a Garrus costume eventually. The only thing holding me back though is the mask. I found some high res reference shots from the game and a friend for their first time did Madam Vastra for DragonCon so I'm feeling confident I can pull this off. Sculpting and casting a mask are something I've never done though, so any tips or a good tutorial would be greatly appreciated. I'm giving myself a wide timeframe so that isn't an issue (I know I wont make NYCC/Halloween).

Reference shots

Garrus is such a bad rear end. I know a few people who have made him. Check out the N7 Elite costume group on Facebook. They are always happy to help people out with the Mass Effect costumes. I'm not sure if they've got a tutorial for Garrus but I know a few of them have made him that could help you.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

Veila posted:

That looks amazing. Have fun with the construction. As for how there are a lot of different ways to make armor ranging in price and difficulty. My current favorite is the cardboard greatstuff/foam methods. Though I would really like to try Wonderflex/Worbla's though price keeps me at bay. Sense my current piece isn't full body armor I am tempted to try, though it depends on finances. Kamui Cosplay has a really helpful journal and youtube channel that go through most of the methods. She's a cosplay god really.

I just found out my rent is 1/5 what I thought it was so I'm working with a bit of a budget. I've made things out of cardboard before, but I just wanted to make something out of a bit more durable materials because I plan to use it more than a few times. I'll check out the Wonderflex because it seems to be pretty available, thanks for the recommendation.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Veev posted:

I just found out my rent is 1/5 what I thought it was so I'm working with a bit of a budget. I've made things out of cardboard before, but I just wanted to make something out of a bit more durable materials because I plan to use it more than a few times. I'll check out the Wonderflex because it seems to be pretty available, thanks for the recommendation.

The cardboard method that I use is similar to a lot of weapon construction you make the base of cardboard then cover it in expanding foam then papermache I am actually gonna try and use bondo for Black Gold Saw as an experiment. My Sylvanas Armor is made this way and it's more than a little durable though I did the triming out of this crap clay and it sucks so I am pulling it off and trying again with new stuff.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I'd personally probably do EVA foam (yoga mats, craft foam) before I did wonderflex, especially on a budget. Wonderflex works just fine but I didn't totally love it when I used it for my 40k outfit. I plan on using up what I have left from that project but I probably wouldn't buy more.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

McPantserton posted:

I'd personally probably do EVA foam (yoga mats, craft foam) before I did wonderflex, especially on a budget. Wonderflex works just fine but I didn't totally love it when I used it for my 40k outfit. I plan on using up what I have left from that project but I probably wouldn't buy more.

Alright, I have some money to waste but I'd rather not spend money I didn't have to. Craft foam seems like it would be good.

Veev fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 7, 2012

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Veev posted:

Alright, I have some money to waste but I'd rather not spend money I didn't have to. Craft foam seems like it would be good.

Oh, yeah, I read that backwards. Either way, craft foam is awesome--you can heat shape it, and once it's done, you can coat it in a mixture of Elmer's glue and water and get a really nice leathery surface. Downside is that it can tear relatively easily but for our last project, our Yoshimitsu backed his craft foam breastplate with cheesecloth by laying it on the inside and brushing glue over the whole deal and that helped a lot.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
Speaking of craft foam, I'm making a mask out of that and now that I've got the basic shape I'm wondering how to paint it. Can I just use acrylic paints or do I have to seal it first?

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

CantDecideOnAName posted:

Speaking of craft foam, I'm making a mask out of that and now that I've got the basic shape I'm wondering how to paint it. Can I just use acrylic paints or do I have to seal it first?

You will want to seal it first. mod podge or elmers.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I used a spray paint meant for flowers on one that I did (it was meant for foam and I was in a rush).... I would throughly recommend sealing it. It took several coats to get any kind of real coverage because it just seemed like it soaked it up. I think I could have gotten a nicer finish out of it if I had sealed it before I painted it.

Also, since I was shaping small pieces I found a got a really nice result with the heat from a candle. I felt like I was melting my fingers trying to use a blow dryer and hold it in shape. I just held the foam over the flame until it got a bit soft then shaped it, blew on it to cool it off... It's held some really nice "sharp" points for my Mera crown.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
Bugger. How does one seal?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Bugger. How does one seal?

Paint it with Mod Podge or Elmer's Glue, let it dry thoroughly. Maybe do a second coat. :)

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?

RazorBunny posted:

Paint it with Mod Podge or Elmer's Glue, let it dry thoroughly. Maybe do a second coat. :)

I don't really want to waste a brush on glue. Are fingers and tacky glue an acceptable substitute (since those are things I already have)?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I spent a good part of today working on my Flynn Rider vest. It's rough, but for my first venture into putting something together from scratch and not having a good pattern to go from, I think it's coming together ok. I still need to add the sleeves, some belt loops, and the hooks and buckles:

Terrible iphone pictures for anyone curious:

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I don't really want to waste a brush on glue. Are fingers and tacky glue an acceptable substitute (since those are things I already have)?

I used watered down school glue when I made did my second attempt at foam armor. I'm sure you could use a finger but if it's a big area spend a buck on a cheap brush.

That vest looks great.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?

Killer_Frost posted:

I used watered down school glue when I made did my second attempt at foam armor. I'm sure you could use a finger but if it's a big area spend a buck on a cheap brush.

That vest looks great.

Ah. Does it need a lot of coats of glue?

That is a nice vest indeed. Was his really that blue? Fantastic color.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

McPantserton posted:

Why weren't you impressed? It looks like a pain to work with, but I'm thinking about getting some for my next project as I don't think EVA foam would be supportive enough for what I need.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I've never done it with Tacky Glue, but I know with regular school glue and Mod Podge I've never had to do more than two coats to get a good seal. The foam I'm using is more open-celled than the foam you'd buy in a craft store, so it needs more sealing.

Both Mod Podge and Elmer's glue wash right out of a paint brush, too. I usually use the cheap foam brushes and rinse them out afterward, but since they're so cheap I occasionally feel too lazy and just chuck them.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
His was a little lighter teal. This was the closest color corduroy I could find at the stores around here and it looks close enough for me. I'll be sure to post more as I go.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

If you are willing to spend more money, I bought a big jug of this stuff called Rosco Flexbond. It comes in a gallon size for about $30-40 but it will last you forever because you only need 1-2 coats of it to seal foam! This is compared to the 8-12 coats of regular Elmer's glue/water, and you don't need to thin it with water.

Also unlike Elmer's glue, it is flexible when dry, so it won't flake off or crack, and makes your armor extremely tough, so it won't dent or rip like regular foam without a concerted effort.

I used it for the enormous Samurai armor build I did earlier this year for Yoshimitsu, and we still have about half the gallon left.

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Why weren't you impressed? It looks like a pain to work with, but I'm thinking about getting some for my next project as I don't think EVA foam would be supportive enough for what I need.

I used Wonderflex recently too, it is unbelieeevably easy to work with. You can hit it with a hairdryer set on high to get it to form. You can draw right on it and cut it with scissors. However, it's not super strong all by itself, plus if you leave it in the back of a hot car or in your garage (as I discovered:smith:) it will start to soften and deform. You can reheat and reshape it endlessly, at least. I think the next time I use it I'm going to glue some foam to the underside for a little structural stability.

THIZZFACE KILLA fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 9, 2012

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Reformed Tomboy posted:

It's very thin, it took a lot longer to get the shape right than I thought it would, and it heats up and gets soft again very easily. I left a piece of armor out in the sun to dry after painting it and it started getting soft again just in the sun. :gonk: Having to ride to a convention with it in the trunk was really stressful, I kept worrying I'd get to the con and just have a pile of flattened plastic.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Could you use something to reinforce and set its shape? Like, I dunno, coat the backside/interior with fiberglass resin or something similar? That way you could get the benefit of the workability and then fix the shape when you were done.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

I used Wonderflex recently too, it is unbelieeevably easy to work with

However, it's not super strong all by itself, plus if you leave it in the back of a hot car or in your garage (as I discovered:smith:) it will start to soften and deform.

McPantserton posted:

Having to ride to a convention with it in the trunk was really stressful, I kept worrying I'd get to the con and just have a pile of flattened plastic.

The easy to work with is reassuring, but the other statements are not.

Ashcans posted:

Could you use something to reinforce and set its shape? Like, I dunno, coat the backside/interior with fiberglass resin or something similar? That way you could get the benefit of the workability and then fix the shape when you were done.

I don't know about them, but the whole point of my choosing wonderflex was to avoid using fiberglass.

It looks like I may end up going with leather after all.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I think I did like 5 or 6. I basically kept painting it until it stopped soaking it up.

I backed mine with some left over linen scraps that I glued to the back before I painted it. It helped.

I was going to use fiberglass resin on my knee "guards" for Miranda from Mass Effect. A friend did some tests for me, since I was mid-move, it didn't melt the 1/4" foamies from the craft store, sealed it really nicely and gave it a nice finish.

He didn't do any shaping, I was just curious if it would melt the foam, but I bet using the fiberglass on the back side to support the curves and what not and if you want a high shine on the front, just resin it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Sorry to chime in 4 pages and a month late, but for future reference, a hair dryer works on heat shrink tubing. That is, unless I missed something and EL uses a different kind than I pick up at radio shack and what have you. If that's the case, forget I said anything.

Love this thread!

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
This mask is turning out to be a lot more trouble than it's worth. And this is supposed to be my backup mask, in case I can't finish my original idea on time, and I haven't even started that one. :(

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

So I have been following this thread for a while and you guys have given me a ton of ideas. I'm new to costuming but I'm gonna work really hard to finish this attempt at Thor.

Hammer:

I'm making it out of wood because we have scraps around and I just wanna play with the tools in the garage.

The base of the handle, I still need to find some leather scraps to work on the pattern, but for now I'm working on priming and smoothing.

Armor:

The black in double layered cardboard supported with 16 gauge wire and encased in glued fabric, it needs to keep the cape up over the back. the cape velcros under the black, but above the gray foam. the foam is for attaching the main chest piece, which I haven't started.

My sister sewed the cape so it had some nice pleats in it, with velcro on the under side.

I really messed up some of the lines on the helmet wings, but im slowly working them out so I can redo them more carefully.

If anyone has any advice or ideas on better ways to do things, I am all ears! I have a big pack of thin craft foam, and and nice pack of thicker eva foam for the armor.

PS: I plan on loading the hammer handle with batteries and making the head give out a little shock. Possibly a second circuit for the handle so when I set it down it shocks anyone who picks it up. Only Thor can wield Mjollnir. :dota101:

Antiquated Pants fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 9, 2012

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Ashcans posted:

The piece I had start to get soft on me was coated in a decent coat of bondo and it still drooped. I've never worked with fiberglass so I couldn't say if that'd work but I think it'd be better than just wonderflex. I know Svetlana at Kamui Cosplay does layers of craftfoam in between 2 sheets of wonderflex, I'm going to try that for a Nightmare Moon-inspired armor set sometime soon with my leftover wonderflex sheets.

So I had a great costuming weekend, we had a spectacular time at GeekKon and I think our panel went really well! We did a photoshoot in our local park too, so I'll have some better costume photos soon.

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 10, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Right now I'm in my carport, cosplaying Breaking Bad.

Actually I'm experimenting with polyester resin and being a good girl and wearing a respirator. Stuff still stinks. But I'm hopefully about being able to use this stuff to cast my White Witch wand. I think it's going to be easier than carving it out of acrylic.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Pleating is tedious :(

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Looks great, though. What sort of fabric is that?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Thanks! It's a linen polyester blend and it holds the pleats really well!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Well, tonight I start experimenting with the fake hair I bought to see if I can use it for my White Witch costume. Wish me luck!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I can't wait to see how that turns out!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I started off with the dreadlocks portion, and I'll figure out the lion mane part later.

Before and after. Making the dreads is a lot of work and back combing, I'm hoping the mane part will be a little easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Well I have officially started black gold saw. Horns are primed and after today I will have the sword started, I'll post pics of that once I have some painting started or sword layed out.

Friend of mine is having a crazy costume themed birthday bash, and sense I hate myself I decided to do that crazy striped number from Sleepy Hollow. Hooray for fancy dresses and bustles boo for matching fabric stripes and pleating. That is at least some interesting sewing so I will probably post progress of that. First I have to get all 20 yards of the fabric, and make a dress form, but I have Gold Saw to keep me busy in the mean time lol.