Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

thinking about coding something in Go because i haven't coded anything in like a month and don't have any original ideas so i might as well try a new language or something

someone give me a better idea so that i don't go through w this tia

learn something which is actually used in the industry

i've given up and am going to try to learn asp.net because that's what jobs are around here. :shobon:

(fwiw, go actually seems cool and some guy in coc wrote an nes emu in it which is cool too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

abraham linksys posted:

thinking about coding something in Go because i haven't coded anything in like a month and don't have any original ideas so i might as well try a new language or something

where the eff have you been

also dont waste time on go unless you're already in the ball pit

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
alternatively, hire me yospos!!! here is my updated resume

MOBILE DEVELOPMENT:
- this one time i started on an ios app and it sort of works but man infinite pagination is really tricky and i started on a library for it but ow my head
- um i made a minor bugfix to awful.apk that wasn't even accepted as a pull request b/c i think geekner figured it out on his own

WEB DEVELOPMENT:
- let me tell you about my serious of failed ember.js projects,
- some django stuff, a while ago.
- i'm pretty good at a javascript, there's definitely no abundance of JS programmers or anything, im one of a kind imo

OTHER:
- i wrote a video game irc bot equivalent in python and it worked but the game tanked hard so :smith:
- a history of crippling depression and self-doubt that is sure to lead to excellent projects that certainly won't be abandoned halfway through
- self motivated in incredibly short bursts before returning to cheetos, video games, writing big OPs for bad threads

Jonny 290 posted:

where the eff have you been

i stopped yosposting outside of phone threads because seeing anything besides abject failure made me jealous

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 10, 2012

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

MOBILE DEVELOPMENT:
- this one time i started on an ios app and it sort of works but man infinite pagination is really tricky and i started on a library for it but ow my head
- um i made a minor bugfix to awful.apk that wasn't even accepted as a pull request b/c i think geekner figured it out on his own

WEB DEVELOPMENT:
- i'm pretty good at a javascript, there's definitely no abundance of JS programmers or anything, im one of a kind imo

OTHER:
- i wrote a video game irc bot equivalent in python and it worked but the game tanked hard so :smith:
- a history of crippling depression and self-doubt that is sure to lead to excellent projects that certainly won't be abandoned halfway through
- self motivated in incredibly short bursts before returning to cheetos, video games, writing big OPs for bad threads

i stopped yosposting outside of phone threads because seeing anything besides abject failure made me jealous

rotor begs for resumes everytime someone mentions perl. perhaps you should learn a perl?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah anal volcano you have a laundry list of joke toy languages there, i recommend getting solid in at least one IT pillar language so that you can use that as justification to get a job in which you can leverage all your joke toy languages on side projects etc etc

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

MOBILE DEVELOPMENT:

WEB DEVELOPMENT:

OTHER:

please learn java and/or c#.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
do a WPF app in xaml b/c thats pretty easy and quick and gets you some basic c# knowledge. Then when you get a job and you have to do web crap you'll be able to annoy everyone by pointing out how much better xaml is and how they're all idiots for perpetuating web "languages"

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

abraham linksys posted:

write a boids style flocking simulator, using one goroutine per boid :3:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

gucci void main posted:

learn something which is actually used in the industry

i've given up and am going to try to learn asp.net because that's what jobs are around here. :shobon:

(fwiw, go actually seems cool and some guy in coc wrote an nes emu in it which is cool too)

if you're desperate for employment, write a weekend project in the popular languages.

if you're more looking for something for play, a new or weird language can make a simple program challenging

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

tef posted:

object verb: base64_decode, iptcparse, str_shuffle, var_dump
verb object: create_function, recode_string

"to" or "2"?
ascii2ebcdic, bin2hex, deg2rad, ip2long, cal_to_jd (jdto*, *tojd), strtolower, strtotime,

pro tip: a real php experience has no naming conventions. those are for academic beardhavers

apple gives you naming conventions for objc, so there's no confusion

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

abraham linksys posted:

MOBILE DEVELOPMENT:

WEB DEVELOPMENT:

OTHER:

follow your heart and don't listen to shaggar unless you want to work with the most boring people on earth

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

fidel sarcastro posted:

rotor begs for resumes everytime someone mentions perl. perhaps you should learn a perl?

rotor also demands people in the bay area without offering relocation, and no one in the bay area would be "uncool" enough to know perl

rotor move me to the bay area and pay me lots of money and i'll code a perl for you

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
let me just relocate closer to the mark zuckerberg reality distortion field

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah anal volcano you have a laundry list of joke toy languages there, i recommend getting solid in at least one IT pillar language so that you can use that as justification to get a job in which you can leverage all your joke toy languages on side projects etc etc

no joke, it's a sad but true sorta thing. shaggar was right, etc.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

vapid cutlery posted:

apple gives you naming conventions for objc, so there's no confusion

wow they think of everything

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

gucci void main posted:

no joke, it's a sad but true sorta thing. shaggar was right, etc.

so it seems

god i don't want to end up hacking on enterprise software though :smith:

my friend's family is opening a hookah bar soon, im hoping to convince them to let me make their website

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

abraham linksys posted:

so it seems

god i don't want to end up hacking on enterprise software though :smith:

my friend's family is opening a hookah bar soon, im hoping to convince them to let me make their website

only learn a dead gay '90s language like java or c# if the reliability of working on enterprise poo poo until you're 65 sounds good

learn something cool and useful like ruby or python or erlang and have a job today, worry about the future later when it happens

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cocoa Crispies posted:

only learn a dead gay '90s language like java or c# if the reliability of working on enterprise poo poo until you're 65 sounds good

learn something cool and useful like ruby or python or erlang and have a job today, worry about the future later when it happens

i'm sorta for this advice because we're going to be headlong into civil war in 20 years and you're going to be eating your neighbors so who really cares, learn a earlang

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

job stability owns

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

gucci void main posted:

job stability owns

happiness is better though

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
you can have job stability with your fancy hipster languages too, just use them to build your company's entire architecture and be grumpy and unhelpful whenever someone asks you to explain parts of it. also add in a dead hand switch that takes the whole thing down if you're gone

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
p languages are the opposite of happy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i dont know if there's a reloc budget actually, there might be, it depends on the dude i guess? every time i ask HR about it they're all "it depends really and blah blee bloo blee blah"

also i think they're willing to let a really strong perl candidate telecommute from wherever

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
anal volcano rather than spreading your veneer knowledge even thinner than it already is you should pick a language and learn it properly and/or learn some basic theory. you could even use one to motivate the other! why dont you read up on something like dynamic programming, its an easy and interesting topic with lots of scope for playing about.

you seem to be forever writing hello world 10 different ways or in 10 different languages. do something that actually challenges you and you might not feel so miserable about your achievements.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Milkie Galore posted:

anal volcano rather than spreading your veneer knowledge even thinner than it already is you should pick a language and learn it properly and/or learn some basic theory. you could even use one to motivate the other! why dont you read up on something like dynamic programming, its an easy and interesting topic with lots of scope for playing about.

you seem to be forever writing hello world 10 different ways or in 10 different languages. do something that actually challenges you and you might not feel so miserable about your achievements.

yeah if you can find a "to-do list" projcet on the website for any language or framework do not learn that language or framework

see: http://meteor.com/examples/todos https://parse.com/tutorials/todo-app-with-javascript http://addyosmani.github.com/todomvc/ http://spinejs.com/pages/examples http://jgn.heroku.com/2010/10/25/creating-localtodoscom----a-short-story/

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Milkie Galore posted:

the number of times you'll run into a problem that is applicable to dynamic programming is quite rare, unless programming competitions is your thing.

mind you memoisation (aka caching) which is kinda similar to some ways to dynamic programming is godlike so... also your av/text change whatup

rotor posted:

i dont know if there's a reloc budget actually, there might be, it depends on the dude i guess? every time i ask HR about it they're all "it depends really and blah blee bloo blee blah"

also i think they're willing to let a really strong perl candidate telecommute from wherever
so if you're larry wall, possible reloc budget though chance of it unlikely. anyone else definite nope

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

i know a perl dude in the uk i want to get employed (well he just did but not for perl), a person here in the netherlands asking for perl dudes, rotor in uhhh mountain view, my employers in sydney, no-one in the uk

uk knows what time it is, it's dead language extinction time

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's me.

I'm Larry Wall.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only perl libs that matter are the ones that handle linux configs cause every single loving one is a special snowflake cause linux doesnt do standards.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Panic! At The cisco posted:

wow they think of everything

think differnet, is there motto

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

it's me.

I'm Larry Wall.
it's me

I'm God

stop working on Perl, my son

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Shaggar posted:

the only perl libs that matter are the ones that handle linux configs cause every single loving one is a special snowflake cause linux doesnt do standards.
hahaha linux IS the standard ahahahaha (unless you're doing mass storage whatup solaris arising from the grave powering zfs how did that work)

[e] oh wait you mean linux distributions yeah well poo poo

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
mr. volcano: how about instead of focusing on something as fleeting as language du jour, you actually learn something rewarding like the fundamentals of computing?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

homercles posted:

so if you're larry wall, possible reloc budget though chance of it unlikely. anyone else definite nope

youre kind of a downer

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
one kind of lovely thing that i'm learning is that even though i work 40 hours a week at coding, i cant use ANY of it as future portfolio material, so in order to have the same quality in all my stuff i am basically going home and staring at perl for 4 MORE hours a day and trying to go "hmm how can i show ingenuity and brilliance in this backup script".
nothing you can do about it but bootstrap but it still annoys me

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

homercles posted:

hahaha linux IS the standard ahahahaha (unless you're doing mass storage whatup solaris arising from the grave powering zfs how did that work)

[e] oh wait you mean linux distributions yeah well poo poo

well i meant the software. they dont standardize configs so stuff like httpd requires a super custom parser to do stuff with. sometimes you get a properties style one where its just key=value, but most of the big name linux softwares roll their own terrible configs.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

rotor posted:

youre kind of a downer
well you did mention HR what did you expect

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

one kind of lovely thing that i'm learning is that even though i work 40 hours a week at coding, i cant use ANY of it as future portfolio material, so in order to have the same quality in all my stuff i am basically going home and staring at perl for 4 MORE hours a day and trying to go "hmm how can i show ingenuity and brilliance in this backup script".
nothing you can do about it but bootstrap but it still annoys me

imo code samples dont really matter unless you've got no work experience (recent grads) or you're an independent contractor.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

imo code samples dont really matter unless you've got no work experience (recent grads) or you're an independent contractor.

yeah but remember, i'm basically a recent grad, or fightin' for them jobs anyways, i can't just say "hey i was on helpdesk for fifteen years and now I write perl so give me a job with a perl"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah but remember, i'm basically a recent grad, or fightin' for them jobs anyways, i can't just say "hey i was on helpdesk for fifteen years and now I write perl so give me a job with a perl"

just want to say that dealing with recruiters is the worst, and sometimes it feels like they're just unavoidable. even for job postings that are written well enough that you think you're applying right to the company, BAM recruiter gives you a call some time later

and what do you make right now

and what are your salary requirements???