Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Safety Dance posted:

Edit: there are no stupid questions, unless n8r decides otherwise.

I agree to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I squared off my rear tire, and now it looks like this:

My new Pilot Powers will probably get to the shop this week. The shop is three miles away, and those can mostly be done on neighborhood streets. Is the risk of failure so high that I should just rent a trailer, or can I ride on this bad boy one last time?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ride it and do a burnout until the tire blows up in the parking lot.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That, but this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97pMqLDQtKw

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm a big fan of my balls not being on fire, thanks.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

I squared off my rear tire, and now it looks like this:

My new Pilot Powers will probably get to the shop this week. The shop is three miles away, and those can mostly be done on neighborhood streets. Is the risk of failure so high that I should just rent a trailer, or can I ride on this bad boy one last time?

I rode a worse-off tire 30 miles to get it changed, so anecdotally you will be fine.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Safety Dance posted:

I'm a big fan of my balls not being on fire, thanks.

It's all good man, just keep a guy with a hose on standby.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I'm hoping someone can help me out here,
My bike has been making this chattering sound and I am not sure what it is.
Cam chain rattle is common for the 675 so it might be that, but I'm not 100% sure

Here's a recording:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

theperminator posted:

Cam chain rattle is common for the 675 so it might be that, but I'm not 100% sure

Here's a recording:

Jesus that sounds awful.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Does anyone know what's involved in California to reregister an off-highway motorcycle as on-highway? I just picked up a 1985 KLR250 which was registered as off-highway. It has the usual street legal fittings like lights, brakes, horn, etc. I'm just unsure of what else might need to be done to register it for on-highway.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

theperminator posted:

Here's a recording:

Can you localise where the sound is coming from? Is it louder on one side than the other (and do you know which side your camchain is on)? Does it get quieter once the bike is warm?

To my ears it sounds a bit high-pitched and a bit loud for camchain rattle (because that tends to come from the centre of the top end it's normally a bit more muted and deeper) but obviously it's hard to tell from a recording, and sounds more like something in the valvetrain, or possibly the water or oil pump cavitating.

You might want to invest in a stethoscope or you can use a socket extender pressed against your engine and your ear to help localise the noise but frankly if my bike suddenly started making that noise i'd get it to a garage ASAP. I say suddenly because my bike *already* makes a noise like that, it has the loudest loving water pump in the world as demonstrated by this video (not my bike, but same year and even the same colour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgFQZMmB0Sw

(ignore the comments saying it's a cam problem - the Shiver can develop an (allegedly non-terminal) camchain rattle but it comes on the left hand side of the engine, the noise is really obviously coming from the water pump on the right)

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Thanks

I had a quick look when I rode home from work, it sounds like it's coming from the top. sounds the same at the top on each side.

Admittedly it's sounded like this for a while, but I've rarely used the bike so I haven't gotten around to getting it checked out, the bike only has 15,000 Kilometers on the clock

Anyway, you've convinced me to not be a lazy cheapskate, I'll be taking her to the local dealership this week.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I need to clean a motorcycle chain that has been soaked in oil, it is a clip style so I can remove it from the bike for soaking.

I was considering soaking it in gasoline but am worried about destroying the o-rings. Will they hold up fine or is there something better to use? Already tried spraying and cleaning it on the bike but I'm still getting a lot of fling.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've never done it, but looking at my chemical compatibility chart Kerosene and diesel is safer with nitrile o-rings than gasoline, so that might be a better way to go.

Edit: Looked at another one and Gasoline seems OK... so either way it's probably not a huge deal as long as you don't keep it in there forever.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 11, 2012

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
For whatever little it's worth, I always use kerosene to clean my chains. It's a decent degreaser and shouldn't harm your chain's o-rings

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

I need to clean a motorcycle chain that has been soaked in oil, it is a clip style so I can remove it from the bike for soaking.

I was considering soaking it in gasoline but am worried about destroying the o-rings. Will they hold up fine or is there something better to use? Already tried spraying and cleaning it on the bike but I'm still getting a lot of fling.

Why do you need to soak it? Just wipe off most of the oil and it'll be fine.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

http://www.exxonmobilchemical.com/Chem-English/brands/hydrocarbon-oxygenated-fluids-products-varsol.aspx?ln=productsservices posted:

Varsol™ fluids are traditional solvents that are also known as mineral spirits or white spirits. These fluids have been widely used in industry for decades, developed to replace kerosene in solvent applications.

I've been to Canadian Tire, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Rona...no one has kerosene. But everyone has varsol.

Is varsol safe and just as effective at chain-cleaning?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

n8r posted:

Why do you need to soak it? Just wipe off most of the oil and it'll be fine.

Alternative answer - take it up to the ton for a while. Anything left on the chain is enough oil. Anything on the rest of your bike is just protecting the metal.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

epalm posted:

I've been to Canadian Tire, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Rona...no one has kerosene. But everyone has varsol.

Is varsol safe and just as effective at chain-cleaning?

Did you check the camping section of walmart? They have those blue coleman bottles of kerosene for camping stoves and poo poo.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

theperminator posted:

Here's a recording:

Is this a daytona 675? Mine sounded exactly like that always.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

front wing flexing posted:

Did you check the camping section of walmart? They have those blue coleman bottles of kerosene for camping stoves and poo poo.

Space heaters and poo poo like that still use it as well. I wouldn't expect to find it in many automotive depts.

I also wouldn't expect to be able to by a small quantity of it. Lowes by me only sells it in 5 gallon drums.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Go to Gander Mountain / Dick's / Academy / Tractor Supply. One of those will sell a 1 gallon can of it from Coleman or something.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Home Depot really should have 1 gallon jugs of kerosene:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203000700/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=kerosene&storeId=10051#.UE-sn6Q8JZQ

Shows as in stock at every Home Depot store within 50 miles of me.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Wh.. what?

Go to the gas station and use the kerosene pump. Unless these are oddly non-existent elsewhere.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Hypnolobster posted:

Wh.. what?

Go to the gas station and use the kerosene pump. Unless these are oddly non-existent elsewhere.

I've seen these in PA where space heaters are common but in warmer states the demand for kerosene is probably a little less.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

They have kerosene in every service station, hardware and supermarket I've ever been to in Australia :/ I can't believe its even remotely hard to find in the U.S.A.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Hypnolobster posted:

Wh.. what?

You must live in the sticks because the pumps are few and far between. The local oil co-op station probably has one though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

SB35 posted:

local oil co-op station

a what now?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ive never seen a kerosene pump, nor did I know they existed.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Hypnolobster posted:

Wh.. what?

Some of our stations in town have kerosene pumps; that's where I get it. I'm blessed enough to live right up the street from one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've seen kerosene pumps infrequently out in the boonies, usually at the kind of station where the pumps still have the odometer style numbers and the spinning paddlewheel on the side and they go ding every couple of seconds. The kind of place where the residents might actually need kerosene because they don't have electric lighting.

That said, mineral spirits (Varsol paint thinner) and white lamp oil are chemically almost identical to kerosene, kerosene being a little denser and more oily, and will do just as good a job of removing grease while leaving rubber intact. I use Varsol for all heavy-duty degreasing and it works great.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Sagebrush posted:

Varsol ... will do just as good a job of removing grease while leaving rubber intact. I use Varsol for all heavy-duty degreasing and it works great.

Thanks!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
While we're on rubber-killing things - does bleach hurt tyres? I've been washing my garden down with bleach for years (dog toilet lol) and as far as I can tell it's never caused any damage but one of my neighbours freaked out and said it could dry out the rubber and make a blowout more likely.

Like I say I've been doing it for years and just riding around in London has done far more damage - my last rear tyre was punctured by an unused blind rivet, a screw (which the shop needed to use a screwdriver to get out, it was so perfectly embedded) and a headphone jack (gently caress knows why it was on the street and how it managed to get into the tyre) in less than 3000 miles, but now he's got me paranoid.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

goddamnedtwisto posted:

While we're on rubber-killing things - does bleach hurt tyres? I've been washing my garden down with bleach for years (dog toilet lol) and as far as I can tell it's never caused any damage but one of my neighbours freaked out and said it could dry out the rubber and make a blowout more likely.

Like I say I've been doing it for years and just riding around in London has done far more damage - my last rear tyre was punctured by an unused blind rivet, a screw (which the shop needed to use a screwdriver to get out, it was so perfectly embedded) and a headphone jack (gently caress knows why it was on the street and how it managed to get into the tyre) in less than 3000 miles, but now he's got me paranoid.

How much bleach (how diluted) and how often are we talking? If it's like I imagine, heavily diluted and once every week or two max, then probably not enough to write home about.

Whitewall tires used to be more popular and it's common knowledge they turn yellow with age. Some people used to clean them with straight bleach. Yeah, that'll hurt a tire; but that's not going to kill it straight up.

I wouldn't recommend anymore exposure than you can manage. Since you're washing stuff, anyway, just spray the tires down with pure water afterwards. That should be good enough.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm getting new street tires for the very first time (Pilot Powers). How do I break them in properly?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Safety Dance posted:

I'm getting new street tires for the very first time (Pilot Powers). How do I break them in properly?
Ride round a bit and gradually increase lean.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Safety Dance posted:

Just to build off what nsaP said; I've been told to find an empty parking lot and ride in a long straight line, take a wide corner with virtually no lean, then straight, then lean, etc.

Kind of like Daytona 500, but they need to be giant, wide figure 8's. As the tires grip and feel better you can make the figure 8's tighter and faster.

That way you're not out in traffic worried about coming to a complete stop before you turn.

Hope it helps!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Thanks, homes. Now I have to find a big, empty parking lot around here.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Thanks, homes. Now I have to find a big, empty parking lot around here.

You don't need to do this, this is the 21st century. Just ride normally and don't try to go instantly to max lean or use a shitload of trail braking/hamfisted throttle application for the first 50 miles or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My brother got word from the Ducati dealer about his Multi 1200, which so far has left him stranded on the last day of two road trips this summer: nothing apparently wrong, "Might be bad gas."

Are these things that sensitive about fuel?

Not much to work with, but based on that, what do you think - regular stabilizer while on the road, maybe a spare gallon tank with which to fetch some fresh stuff?