Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Hello Spaceman posted:

We should do that again.

How about Sunset Speedway in an FRS? I'll post my times later when I get home.

It's on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Do I add my name to the spreadsheet to get an invite to the goon garage? Or is there a way to find it and join that I haven't found on the menus?

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy

Xguard86 posted:

Do I add my name to the spreadsheet to get an invite to the goon garage? Or is there a way to find it and join that I haven't found on the menus?

Depends on the club (SAEG, GTCC, AUGR) that you want to join. Best bet for the second two is to look in private game servers, because they'll contain instructions.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ringo Star Get posted:

It is how you make it. Sometimes its not about grinding but mastering a car and challenging yourself to go that little bit faster. Hello Spaceman and I would trade lap times in Forza 3 as a friendly rivalry to keep us in the game and it helped.

As for pubbie races, sometimes you end up in good ones and some are terrible. It's best to find either a good goon group or find a league to look for organized racing. Since bumping up grids to 16 racers, races can be a bit more deep and interesting.

Compared to iRacing its different in many ways, and it does itch that "super sim" feeling. Getting a wheel and pedals do help, I recommend at least a GT2 so that you can use it for both the PC and Xbox.

The problem is I have a logitech driving force gt, a great wheel, but it's unsupported. The ms wheel isn't made anymore, that wireless thing they have is hilarious, and the only other option is fanatec stuff, that I would have to ship to arctic loving Canada.

I feel my experience could be much better if I could do a racing wheel like i can for the pc. Hopefully xbox 3 has better racing wheel support. I'd really like to do a 3 monitor setup.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

So apparently within the last dozen posts or so "rivals mode" is this newly uncovered secret that two guys invented in F3, and getting a Fanatec wheel by "mail-order" is an especially monumental task, what with having to mail your order to someplace that may as well be in the Amazon I guess.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I've done my fair share of photo work in Forza. I've captured some awesome shots, but often these were accidental. I somewhat know how a camera works, what aperture means, that sort of thing, but I haven't really learned what it all actually does to a photo. Today, while stumbling around LifeHacker, I found a series of articles that try to explain what all this poo poo means. For example, a wider aperture will not only let in more light, it will also narrow the depth of field - less of the shot will be in focus. I'm going to try to apply this stuff to Forza pictures.

The problem lies in the way Forza handles its photo mode controls. What the hell does Forza's "focus" slider do? What values are approximated by the "aperture" slider?

So, my question for you more practiced photo nerds is, what type of stuff have you done to get your desired results? Was there reasoning behind it, or was it just monkeying around?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

If you're trying to get into AUGR, just send a club join request from inside the game. The best way to make sure your join request is approved is to post your forums name and gamer tag in the spreadsheet in the AUGR thread in Private Game Servers. If I recognize the join request (if your forums name and gamer tag are the same, for instance) usually I'll just approve it.

AUGR Weekly Race is going to go as scheduled on the spreadsheet, with BTCC cars again. If you have a tune you need help with, save the tuning setup and gift it to me (GT: whatcubed3) and I'll help a bit with the setup. That said, I don't expect to see gifted tunes from the people who usually place in the top 5. If so, I'll ruin your tune and send it back to you.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 11, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I just spent 9.95!! posted:

So apparently within the last dozen posts or so "rivals mode" is this newly uncovered secret that two guys invented in F3, and getting a Fanatec wheel by "mail-order" is an especially monumental task, what with having to mail your order to someplace that may as well be in the Amazon I guess.

So apparently lovely minimal effort posts were invented just minutes ago! Good job starting what will be a hilarious new trend!

Anyways, I am reluctant to ship in a wheel from America and pay 50% of the value in shipping and brokerage for a 7 year old console. Especially when the wheel I already have is perfectly suitable if not for some lovely red tape put in place by Microsoft.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Ok thanks. I'll post in the thread when I send the request.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It is when the bare minimum cost of a XBox-compatible Fanatec is 2-3x higher than Logitech setups that are considered well beyond "good enough" and work just fine on the PC and PS3 because neither of them have the same asinine requirements that Microsoft does for controllers - and that's for someone who does live in America.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

It is when the bare minimum cost of a XBox-compatible Fanatec is 2-3x higher than Logitech setups that are considered well beyond "good enough" and work just fine on the PC and PS3 because neither of them have the same asinine requirements that Microsoft does for controllers - and that's for someone who does live in America.

Just noticed the Lucky Charms marshmallow next to your name, when did that happen?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

:hurr:

Incredibly, rivals mode in Forza 4 is limited only to events that T10 wants to put up. There's no way to have a custom time trial shootout with a buddy which, amazingly, is loving fun.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hello Spaceman posted:

:hurr:

Incredibly, rivals mode in Forza 4 is limited only to events that T10 wants to put up. There's no way to have a custom time trial shootout with a buddy which, amazingly, is loving fun.

One of the few mistakes Forza 4 made.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

I said come in! posted:

One of the few mistakes Forza 4 made.

No poo poo. If they just gave us the ability to post even a single challenge to a club it would've been a ton better than trying to get your name to show up on a leaderboard filled with cheater cars.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ringo Star Get posted:

Just noticed the Lucky Charms marshmallow next to your name, when did that happen?

When sigtrap stepped down got carried off by a Miata Owners Club.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You could always do it the old school way.. post a challenge and have everyone take a picture of their TV when they set a new lap record.

Turn 10 has always been pretty bad at getting that last 10% of polish on their games. The features are there.. they're just implemented in a way that cause users to notice what's wrong more than what's right.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Hello Spaceman posted:

No poo poo. If they just gave us the ability to post even a single challenge to a club it would've been a ton better than trying to get your name to show up on a leaderboard filled with cheater cars.

Yeah it'd be nice to make a "beat my Laguna Seca time...with this C6 with max POSITIVE CAMBER".

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Hello Spaceman posted:

I fully agree with you there, my favorite thing to do in Gran Turismo was just trying to beat my own ghosts in practice mode. Rivals mode is really limited, and I find the drag/autocross/track day challenges pretty awful.

What's the general consensus on the F1 series? I've heard some not great things about it but don't recall specifics

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I fully agree with you there, my favorite thing to do in Gran Turismo was just trying to beat my own ghosts in practice mode. Rivals mode is really limited, and I find the drag/autocross/track day challenges pretty awful.

What's the general consensus on the F1 series? I've heard some not great things about it but don't recall specifics

F1 2011 is awesome aside from the netcode. (as long as you're not on PS3 which has really lovely graphics for this game for some reason)

Hopefully they've got it sorted for F1 2012 which comes out in a couple of weeks I think.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I had the total opposite opinion of F1 2011. I bought the PC version, and it had the most unacceptable wheel support I have ever seen in a racing game.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It bears mentioning that the Xbox (and Forza specifically) does considerably better on 720p native TVs than on 1080p, in regard to jaggies and that white outline that happens when the image is too crisp. Do you notice that uploaded shots look noticeably different from how they look on your screen?

It's also possible you've got your TV's sharp settings too high. Most TVs come out of the box with a ridiculously overbright/oversharp default setting, because that's what looks best at Best Buy. Read more than you ever thought you wanted to know about display calibration, here: http://www.avsforum.com/f/139/display-calibration and here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/585527/calibration-faq-under-development

A properly calibrated HD set will look dim and blurry to most users until their eyes adjust from what they're used to seeing as the default setting look. It'll take a few hours. It's worth it.

If you've already calibrated the PQ using a disc (or had a pro do it for you), it's probably just that your TV is too fancy for the 2005-era Xbox 360. Smear some vaseline on your eyeballs, problem sorted.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Ringo Star Get posted:

Yeah it'd be nice to make a "beat my Laguna Seca time...with this C6 with max POSITIVE CAMBER".

This would be soooo sick. The Goon-rival stuff we did at the end of Forza 3 got me really pumped for Forza 4, and Rivals Mode somewhat fills that gap, but it's not there yet. Slammed VW time trials would be hilarious, Turn 10, get with it!

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Needs a hellaflush autocross mode for kicks.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

xzzy posted:

Turn 10 has always been pretty bad at getting that last 10% of polish on their games. The features are there.. they're just implemented in a way that cause users to notice what's wrong more than what's right.

I want to make sure whoever is responsible for Forza 4's menus never touches a keyboard again.

Would it have killed them to make the menus instantaneous? If I can navigate your menus faster than your software can, your software is broken.

Or loading up the car model after selecting the car, only to have the user mash A to confirm that you want to select that car before the card model even appears on screen. What's the point?

When you're selecting a car's paint job or loadout, it shows you every paint job and loadout you have for every car, instead of just the ones that are relevant. Why?

To scroll through the long car list quickly, you have to mash RB. You can't just hold it down and have it scroll through. Or look, I have a brilliant idea. Have the vertical axis select class and the horizontal axis select the car. Now your menu is 6x faster to navigate, at no cost.

It's like they didn't even put the menus past a single user before shipping. These flaws are so glaringly obvious.

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

ColdPie posted:

When you're selecting a car's paint job or loadout, it shows you every paint job and loadout you have for every car, instead of just the ones that are relevant. Why?

This one actually makes sense. It's where you upload your tunes/paint jobs to the Storefront. If you press start it will filter for just the car you have currently selected.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

am I the only one who really likes the wireless speed wheel? I think it's awesome for the price.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I said come in! posted:

I had the total opposite opinion of F1 2011. I bought the PC version, and it had the most unacceptable wheel support I have ever seen in a racing game.

I thought they fixed this? I tried out F12010 and I thought the PC part of my Fanatec was broken because F12010 said I didn't have a wheel. After just setting the controls to just "wheel" it finally accepted it, but it was still terrible. After trying the 2012 demo on xbox, it decided I had a wireless wheel. I almost don't want to bother trying the PC demo for 2012.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

ColdPie posted:

It's like they didn't even put the menus past a single user before shipping. These flaws are so glaringly obvious.

Go play Gran Turismo 5 for a while, let us know how the menus work there. :mmmhmm:

Also, I assume it's semi-common knowledge among folk in this thread, but if you have Kinect you can just say "Xbox Forza (menu area you wish to be in)" and it will hyperlink straight there.

Of course, the drawback is you need to be willing to have a conversation with your Xbox, which a lot of people feel stupid doing (a normal response).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ForbiddenWonder posted:

am I the only one who really likes the wireless speed wheel? I think it's awesome for the price.

Maybe it's because I grew up playing on real wheels in arcades, but not having an actual anchor point for the wheel is just unusable for me. The lack of force feedback is also a big thing, it makes it a lot harder to have a feel for how far one's actually steering.

Mario Kart Wii was my first experience with that crap and it was just as bad then as it is with the speed wheel. Real wheels are better than analog sticks, but IMO analog sticks are much better than hover-wheels.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I like the wireless wheel. It doesn't really feel like driving but it's more engaging than using the controller and only costs thirty bucks.

I just hate the omission of bumper buttons when their flagship racer uses them on almost every menu. It's pretty unforgivable.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I said come in! posted:

I've only ever had a fanatec wheel so maybe that has something to do with it but I play F1 2011 on the PC with it and it works flawlessly. The F1 2012 demo just came out yesterday for PC and XBox 360 (You can download the PC one on steam) and I plan on giving it a serious workout tonight before the GTCCing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I've only ever had a fanatec wheel so maybe that has something to do with it but I play F1 2011 on the PC with it and it works flawlessly. The F1 2012 demo just came out yesterday for PC and XBox 360 (You can download the PC one on steam) and I plan on giving it a serious workout tonight before the GTCCing.

I downloaded the demo on Xbox 360 and couldn't play it with a controller. I have the Steam demo now though, and will give that a try and see how it works with my wheel.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
I have the Mad Katz wheel. It got kinda broken

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So again, how is it possible that Microsoft has a lovely gimmick wii type retard wheel, and then an expensive niche market wheel that must be mail ordered often with several week waits on some models, and no product in between ?

They should rebrand a Logitech wheel and offer drivers for it.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Madcatz + PRP gets you a decent-ish wheel for roughly $100. shifter and two pedals as well.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

jonathan posted:

So again, how is it possible that Microsoft has a lovely gimmick wii type retard wheel, and then an expensive niche market wheel that must be mail ordered often with several week waits on some models, and no product in between ?

This does not work, at least not if you want working force feedback. The 360 FF works fundamentally different than PC/PS3 and can not be retrofitted to existing wheels via drivers/firmware, you need a specific piece of hardware that needs to be licenced from Microsoft, which raises production and development costs. Logitech apparently decided not to put up with Microsoft's poo poo, and Fanatec targets a demographic that isn't too concerned with price anyway.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
I like the speed wheel. It sucks having to swap controllers to do anything else, but I justify it thematically as putting down the wheel and picking up a wrench to tune or whatever. I put my feet up on the edge of my ottoman and rest my forearms against my knees to drive to "anchor" it somewhat. Longer triggers give more precise brake/gas and the wheel makes those long sweeping turns easier to manage than with a thumbstick.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

jonathan posted:

Trouble is that few want to go through the bullshit of adapting existing products to work with Xbox 360 software, i.e. the guide button, functions, etc. It is what you said as well, a niche market on the console. Having a wheel that is hardly used and suffered from terrible build quality was a drain on resources, so the gimmick wheel was brought out and aside from Mad Katz (which makes subpar-mediocre EVERYTHING) is what we get.

The astounding thing about the niche racing market is that like flight simulation market, a lot of the guys spend shitloads of money. Thousands of dollars for motion simulators, metal-shop custom-made pedals, button boxes, shoes, gloves, headsets, money isn't an issue when you have a fun hobby.

The GT2 wheel and pedals in my mind are worth it. I switch between PC and 360 racing constantly.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
With a dedicated wheel and monitor setup, what are your opinions switching to and from PC to Forza ? Does it take a lot of time to get used to it ?

Also, what is 3 monitor support like with Forza ? Worth it like iRacing ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

jonathan posted:

With a dedicated wheel and monitor setup, what are your opinions switching to and from PC to Forza ? Does it take a lot of time to get used to it ?

Also, what is 3 monitor support like with Forza ? Worth it like iRacing ?

Get a bigger desk so you can just slide your wheel across. They take up a lot of space but constantly having to remove and then put it back on again becomes a pain quick.

As for the monitor just get one with two inputs that lets you change between them on a button press. Tried a KVM initially with my older monitor, it worked but it was more trouble than it was worth.

All I know about multiple monitors is that you'll need another xbox and another copy of Forza for each one.

• Locked thread