Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
right arm
Oct 30, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Hmm, do those apps work for swapping between different model phones also?

Yep, did it when I went from my droid x to the nexus and when I warrantied the nexus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Does anyone have any experience with the verizon prepaid services? Unlimited talk, text, and web for 50 a month seems really good. Is the service crappy or something?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

The selection of phones is pretty crappy, I bet.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
I just came up for my upgrade last week, although the language of the message makes me doubt I'll be able to use it on an iPhone 5 this friday.

They use the term "discounted pricing" does this mean I'm limited to certain (terrible) phones?

I'd assume they would want me to get an iPhone 5 and off my grandfathered unlimited 3G onto their LTE network. The iPhone 5 is logically the best way to get everyone onto the 4G love train as long as they butter everyone up enough.

If they fight me instead of giving me reasons to buy when I go in to pre-order I'd be surprised.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 12, 2012

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Jon93 posted:

I just came up for my upgrade last week, although the language of the message makes me doubt I'll be able to use it on an iPhone 5 this friday.

They use the term "discounted pricing" does this mean I'm limited to certain (terrible) phones?

I'd assume they want me to get an iPhone 5 and off my grandfathered unlimited 3G onto their LTE network. The iPhone 5 is logically the best way to get everyone onto the 4G love train as long as they butter everyone up enough.

If they fight me instead of giving me reasons to buy when I go in to pre-order I'd be surprised.
No, "discounted pricing" means "pay $200 instead of full retail for that iPhone and oh btw you won't be needing that unlimited data anymore."

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Well, the built in Tethering & portable hotspot for this particular ROM seems to not want to work very well. Anyone have any app suggestions - GNex running Razors Jelly.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
If I get the new iphone will my phone bill go up at all? I currently have a droid x with unlimited data because I've been grandfathered in. I'm assuming that if I use my upgrade and sign a new contract my phone bill should be about the same but I'll have to commit to the 2GB cap.

I guess I'm just wondering how badly I'm gonna get burned on this.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

foodfight posted:

If I get the new iphone will my phone bill go up at all? I currently have a droid x with unlimited data because I've been grandfathered in. I'm assuming that if I use my upgrade and sign a new contract my phone bill should be about the same but I'll have to commit to the 2GB cap.

I guess I'm just wondering how badly I'm gonna get burned on this.

Yup, that's precisely what's happening (for now). Current users don't have to go to the share everything plans that new users must choose, but they have to give up unlimited unless you buy the phone outright.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Yup, that's precisely what's happening (for now). Current users don't have to go to the share everything plans that new users must choose, but they have to give up unlimited unless you buy the phone outright.

Cool, so my bill should stay the same I just don't get the data. I'm fine with that because I think I use roughly 1 GB a month now.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

kensei posted:

Well, the built in Tethering & portable hotspot for this particular ROM seems to not want to work very well. Anyone have any app suggestions - GNex running Razors Jelly.

I've been using FoxFi pretty successfully on my SGS III, but (as always) YMMV.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

foodfight posted:

Cool, so my bill should stay the same I just don't get the data. I'm fine with that because I think I use roughly 1 GB a month now.

On 4g I'm using 5-6 times my normal data from 3g.

Keep in mind things will stream in higher bit rates and what have you. So you're going to use more data just simply being 4g.

Id personally buy it out right.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

kensei posted:

Stop using terrible hacked together ROMs. If you want a good stock ROM, then use this. The stock tethering app works fine in that.

If you don't want to switch, then this has worked fine for me when I was on stock ICS.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

EbolaIvory posted:

On 4g I'm using 5-6 times my normal data from 3g.

Keep in mind things will stream in higher bit rates and what have you. So you're going to use more data just simply being 4g.

Id personally buy it out right.

When I was on my G'Nex, I was averaging around 6GB-8GB a month for datag. Since switching to the 4S, I'm averaging about 2 GB due to using WiFi at home. I wouldn't be surprised if my usage skyrockets if/when I get back on LTE.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

AlexDeGruven posted:

I've been using FoxFi pretty successfully on my SGS III, but (as always) YMMV.

Cool thanks

right arm posted:

Stop using terrible hacked together ROMs. If you want a good stock ROM, then use this. The stock tethering app works fine in that.

If you don't want to switch, then this has worked fine for me when I was on stock ICS.

I've not had any crashes or issues at all, but I will check that ROM out when I am back. Thanks for the other recommendation as well.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

kensei posted:

Cool thanks

I've not had any crashes or issues at all, but I will check that ROM out when I am back. Thanks for the other recommendation as well.

If you're looking for stock jellybean, this is the ROM you want. No retarded kangbanged kernel + pony boot image. Peter is a pretty good dev who made the original Bugless Beast for the Motorola Droid and has continued to do ICS builds til jellybean came out. He makes good, not riced-out stuff.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
If I'm currently on unlimited 4G, does a subsidized upgrade still cap me at 2GB?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

jfreder posted:

If I'm currently on unlimited 4G, does a subsidized upgrade still cap me at 2GB?

Yes. Any subsidized upgrade will eliminate unlimited now. The only way to keep unlimited (for now anyways) is to buy a phone at full retail price or buy a used phone.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

kensei posted:

Cool thanks

One other thing to check is to make sure you don't have any tethering apps installed, like the android wifi tether. I know with the rom right arm linked the stock tethering app breaks if you have other tethering apps installed. Might be fixed now, but it was definitely something I had happen while running jelly bean.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Requoting a couple of old bull3964 posts, because we never got to have this delightful conversation. :)

bull3964 posted:

Since the Razr HD is using an LCD rather than AMOLED, i'm assuming the 3300mAh battery would have made it a bit too thick.

bull3964 posted:

You were NEVER going to buy the Razr HD anyways due to the bootloader, so I don't know why you are so incensed about the battery they put in it.
As we of course know now, there's a Maxx variant of the RAZR HD with an AMOLED display. I'm still pissed about the bootloader (and don't even get me started on the "developer edition" bullshit), but I think I'm going to skip the SGS3 and buy it anyway. Turns out I wasn't just blowing smoke up your rear end!

A friend of mine got an SGS3 at my recommendation, has been really enjoying it, and has been getting pretty respectable battery life. But I'm thinking there are still days that I would kill it, which means carrying around a second battery or having to keep one around "just in case." Assuming the RAZR HD drains at a similar rate as the SGS3 (which they should, as they're both using Qualcomm S4 and 720p AMOLED screens of similar size), I can't really project a scenario where I'd have a dead phone at the end of the day short of tethering for a whole afternoon or something.

The bootloader thing is completely stupid, but for as much as I've been leaning on my phone lately I think I'm going to have to give the nod to battery life over my principles. Nobody's selling Android, LTE, a Qualcomm S4 or newer, a huge battery, and an unlocked bootloader in the same package. The RAZR HD and SGS3 will both deliver four out of five, but I think Motorola's delivering the four I'd prefer.

God drat, who else is wishing they'd rev the Nexus line using the Maxx HD's hardware right about now?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ha, well to be fair the HD and MAXX HD look nearly the same in pictures so it's no wonder the rumor sites thought the latter didn't exist.

Engadget already reviewed the Razr M, so you can get a pretty good idea what the HD ones will be like since the internals are the same. The screens will take a bit more power, but I'm betting not a ton. The M did 8 hours on the video rundown test.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
For the first time in my life, I don't feel like Verizon is trying to rip me off over something.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
How much FaceTime do you think 2GB is going to get you?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
With most people on tiered data they want to give you as many ways to guzzle data as possible. HD Netflix? Facetime over cellular? Torrenting? Bring it on.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I could see Verizon releasing a Verizon only GoogleWallet APK that is 2 gigs in size

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
So lets see those unsubsidized prices so I can keep my discounts and plan.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

The Apple site showed $649, $749, $849 for 16 gb, 32gb, 64gb respectively when I checked earlier today.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
alright, help me out with this quandary.

I'm on a family plan, both my mom and I have grandfathered unlimited plans. My account has an upgrade up for grabs right now.

My mom wants to get into the iPhone 5 and I've offered to let her use my upgrade to do so.

If she uses MY upgrade but puts the subsidized phone on HER line, that means HER unlimited data plan gets booted to a tiered plan, right? And my unlimited data plan remains intact?

Followup question: in a few months when her line is eligible for an upgrade, is there any way that she can purchase say, a Galaxy S3, and I can get it put on my line without losing unlimited data?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

negativeneil posted:

alright, help me out with this quandary.

I'm on a family plan, both my mom and I have grandfathered unlimited plans. My account has an upgrade up for grabs right now.

My mom wants to get into the iPhone 5 and I've offered to let her use my upgrade to do so.

If she uses MY upgrade but puts the subsidized phone on HER line, that means HER unlimited data plan gets booted to a tiered plan, right? And my unlimited data plan remains intact?

Followup question: in a few months when her line is eligible for an upgrade, is there any way that she can purchase say, a Galaxy S3, and I can get it put on my line without losing unlimited data?

You will lose unlimited data on whichever lines uses the upgrade. If you want to keep it, buy a phone off contract. No way around it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

negativeneil posted:

Pretty sure the answer to that is no. Your line's upgrade is being consumed, so your line will be shunted to tiered.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Quick question, my google searches are not leading to any concrete answers. I'm thinking about switching from ATT to Verizon for the new iPhone to benefit from LTE in my area, but was curious if that if I am connected to LTE, could I do voice and data simultaneously?

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

sleepness posted:

Quick question, my google searches are not leading to any concrete answers. I'm thinking about switching from ATT to Verizon for the new iPhone to benefit from LTE in my area, but was curious if that if I am connected to LTE, could I do voice and data simultaneously?

Yes.

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

How much FaceTime do you think 2GB is going to get you?

Evidently iOS 6 shows you facetime data useage in your call history which will help:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

RedQueen posted:

Evidently iOS 6 shows you facetime data useage in your call history which will help:

So about 5 hours. That's a lot of video chat.

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.

Yeah, I'm assuming that's with a 4's VGA camera though. I wonder if the 720P facetime camera on the 5 will come with an option to use a lower bitrate over cellular.

I'm probably going to ditch my unlimited data plan with ATT and switch to Verizon. Verizon has already covered the area with LTE, ATT just has HSPA. I like the idea of using Facetime over cellular too.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Where the hell is the SGS3 update to enable global roaming?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, if you use literally no other data.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, if you use literally no other data.
There'd still be a whole 88MB left! That's plenty, right?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

stormrider posted:

Where the hell is the SGS3 update to enable global roaming?

It works out of the box if you're willing to hack your APN and spend some time on XDA finding the right settings.

Even domestic. I can put my iPhone's SIM (AT&T) in my GS3 and make calls and send/receive SMS, but MMS and data still need some work.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
So its $649 for an out of contract phone.

But i have a current account. If i add a line and cancel immediately and pay the ETF it would be $199+$350 ETF. What else am i missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience switching to Verizon from AT&T during an iPhone launch?

We get a bigger corporate discount through Verizon and the call quality/coverage is better than the AT&T service we get in our area. However, I'm curious as to how difficult switching from our current family plan to a shared data plan would be.

• Locked thread