Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
i take back everything negative i've ever said about c#, asp.net, sharepoint. i miss it, i miss straightforward debugging, i miss intellisense, i miss sniping yospos not being the highlight of my day.

i like that they call it 'classic asp' like it was composed by mozart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

tef posted:

you'll get equity

there's always equity at the end of the rainbow

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

deep square leg posted:

i take back everything negative i've ever said about c#, asp.net, sharepoint. i miss it, i miss straightforward debugging, i miss intellisense, i miss sniping yospos not being the highlight of my day.

i like that they call it 'classic asp' like it was composed by mozart.

static analysers own, especially xcode's and intellisense.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
eclipse's intellisense is way better than visual studios

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Shaggar posted:

heavyweight boxing is really boring.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

i have the feeling that things like intellisense/autocomplete let people write bigger programs, rather than better programs.

:yayclod:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

tef posted:

i have the feeling that things like intellisense/autocomplete let people write bigger programs, rather than better programs.

i feel the same way about languages that aren't c

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

tef posted:

no they just make people write dumber libraries.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

yeah but I think c makes it easy to write buggy programs, where the bugs tend to involve being completely hosed over.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
also, include files :argh:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
slim[e|v] has better autocomplete than either :can:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

they make it easy to be verbose which is better than being terse. also they just make everything easier since you dont have to constantly look at external documentation to figure out what the thing you're typing does.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
it feels like you're programming around a black box that you aren't expected to internalize. it's great for writing programs that don't fit in your head.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

me, i'm watching http://www.rust-lang.org/

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

it feels like you're programming around a black box that you aren't expected to internalize. it's great for writing programs that don't fit in your head.

aka most of them. encapsulation is an important part (maybe the most important part) of OO.

the poo poo in the black box is not your concern so dont worry about it. you've got other poo poo to do.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

aka most of them. encapsulation is an important part (maybe the most important part) of OO.

the poo poo in the black box is not your concern so dont worry about it. you've got other poo poo to do.

I hate how schools do such a poor job of teaching encapsulation.

Just mark every field as private, and then have a buch of getters and setters for every field. :rolleye:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

it's so important in java, you have to defensively copy by hand

quote:

oh, it's more that the interface to the black box doesn't fit in your head, so you have to look at the docs each time, internal or external

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
ps erlang erlang real encapsulation involves isolation erlang erlang

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Otto Skorzeny posted:

slim[e|v] has better autocomplete than either :can:

slime rules but i can't justify integrating emacs into every loving thing i do

so i just bought intellij and am fat and happy now

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

slime rules but i can't justify integrating emacs into every loving thing i do

so i just bought intellij and am fat and happy now

i was an emacs freak about this time last year. web browsing, email, IM, loving everything went through emacs. i wrote a bunch of poo poo about how to write web apps in lisp, and used slime extensively (it rules)

then i just kind of snapped out of it one day, literally halfway through rewriting my blog publishing engine in emacs lisp. emacs is loving great for so much but every tool has its tradeoffs depending on what you use it for

i still love the idea of lisp and one language to rule them all but it's a fantasy

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I guess the Xemacs project is kind of dead.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

i just bought intellij and am fat and happy now

same except ruggedly handsome

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
i should take up swimming

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
ugh. spent the entire day writing an email about a three page spec detailing all the bad ideas, incompatibilities, and issues with it, while referencing a couple of iso standards and specs. explaining how the xml configuration format is too specific, and explaining how a pipeline works and why that is a good thing.

ugh, programming.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

tef posted:

ugh. spent the entire day writing an email about a three page spec detailing all the bad ideas, incompatibilities, and issues with it, while referencing a couple of iso standards and specs. explaining how the xml configuration format is too specific, and explaining how a pipeline works and why that is a good thing.

ugh, programming.
ugh

i have to do the same sometimes but i don't want to be "the 'no' guy" so i try to offer alternatives in an optimistic way. doesn't always go down as i'd like.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Shaggar posted:

resharper can be fun/annoying.

i don't want my code to be written for me, i know what i need to do, but i like typing "<variable>." and having a list of methods/properties come up so i don't need to look it up. that's all i really want, alanis morissette.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
bbbbut i was promised a life in isolation!! just talk computer!! no talk ppl..

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
tef i bet you'd like pycharm's intellicompletionsense; it's crazy smart

jetbrians are some smart dudes

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Lysidas posted:

hadn't heard of it, looks good. $60 seems a good price.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Lysidas posted:

tried it once earlier on, tended to fall over and die from memory consumption.

would you believe I write the majority of my code in stock vim over ssh :yayclod:

(I moved to a remote machine to develop on when a local one died. Never moved back)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

bbbbut i was promised a life in isolation!! just talk computer!! no talk ppl..

the thing about computers is that you have complete control over everything as opposed to how lots of nerds have no control over virtually anything, such as whether to get locked in the gym lockers at school or not

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
objc ftw always

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

WHOIS John Galt posted:

i was an emacs freak about this time last year. web browsing, email, IM, loving everything went through emacs. i wrote a bunch of poo poo about how to write web apps in lisp, and used slime extensively (it rules)

then i just kind of snapped out of it one day, literally halfway through rewriting my blog publishing engine in emacs lisp. emacs is loving great for so much but every tool has its tradeoffs depending on what you use it for

i still love the idea of lisp and one language to rule them all but it's a fantasy

I sometimes go on emacs binges like this. What I usually find though is that I end up finding one piece of emacs I hadn't before and twenty odd pieces of utter trash. Possibly also one or two pieces I really like but which don't work.

ps. M-/ supremacy.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

INTERGALACTIC CAN CHAMPION

Zombywuf posted:

I sometimes go on emacs binges like this. What I usually find though is that I end up finding one piece of emacs I hadn't before and twenty odd pieces of utter trash. Possibly also one or two pieces I really like but which don't work.

ps. M-/ supremacy.

i just started using emacs, how does m-/ compare to the standard autocomplete plugin that everyone recommends?

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Zizzyx posted:

i just started using emacs, how does m-/ compare to the standard autocomplete plugin that everyone recommends?

which one is that (i too am new to emacs)

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
why would you emacs when you can vim

on the other hand i tried out pycharm because of that post earlier and for the autocomplete and navigation poo poo is really nice

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 15, 2012

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

intellij :allears:

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
oh boy this again

rotor