Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

spanky the dolphin posted:

Check those dinos out.

Hey, it's the Fantasia "Rite of Spring" dinosaurs! Nice to see them out and about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sockser posted:

What is the origin of that pose?
I see it all over the place and I'm sure it references some famous painting but the reference has always been lost.

Or did Vacation start it?

Its sometimes referred to as "The King of the Mountain" trope, its just a popular pose for pulpy adventure stories. Probably started with Conan, like they said.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
A couple of amusing things I noticed about the Vacation posters is that Rusty and Audrey aren't anywhere on the first movie's poster, and on the second Audrey looks absolutely nothing like she does in the film. I'd say it's because it's not meant to be her, but I think more to the point it's because Audrey and Rusty are never the same two actors. One or both were probably cast after the poster came out.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

House/Hausu is a weird case, since the movie was officially titled in English so it would seem creepily foreign to Japanese audiences.

Calling it 'Hausu' in an English context is kinda true to that basic spirit, but misses the broader point that the film is very much about Japan and is presented from that POV. 'Hausu' shifts it so that the Japanese people are the foreigners, not us.

But if your just bring it up in conversation why not just use the version that you think who ever it is your talking to would be most familiar with? Sure you may have a point that using the translated/untranslated title possibly could have a slight affect on the the perception of the movie, but I'd would say you suck at basic communication if you chose to use a version of the title you had to spend time explain which one your referring to if was a simpler one available.

People not knowing what your film your talking about is always going to be bit more of an issue than someone who is unable to overcome the pretty basic concept that foreign films are just local films from overseas that were exported to them, the foreign audience. People are going to pick whatever title they are used (most likely whatever they were first exposed to) and I'm completely fine with using whatever that is as a handle as unless I'm going to spend far to long in a discussion about that movie I doubt what ever name I use for it is going to make to much of an impact in what they call it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

To tie this back in with movie posters, here's the excellent poster for Battle Royale:

Note that even in the original Japanese poster they use English words, "Battle Royale Survival Program". Given that the film is promoted using English words, and the name is officially "Battle Royale" and not "Having a Time on Island With Killer Children From School", I'll call it "Battle Royale".

But come to think of it, House has recently been localized in a Criterion Collection DVD as "House" and not "Hausu", so that argument should probably be put to rest. It's out in the States, it's known as "House", the end.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

The only way to refer to House is to say it really elongated in a funny voice. HAAAAAUUUUUSU. :colbert:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sockser posted:

What is the origin of that pose?
I see it all over the place and I'm sure it references some famous painting but the reference has always been lost.

Or did Vacation start it?

As far as I know it's just a general riff on Frank Frazetta:

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 12, 2012

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmyleg posted:

As far as I know it's just a general riff on Frank Frazetta:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The Frazetta stuff predates that. The middle one in that post is from the late 60s.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

penismightier posted:

The Frazetta stuff predates that. The middle one in that post is from the late 60s.

Sorry, Star Wars is eternal and therefore everything else is ripped off of it. Go suck a dick, Akira Kurosawa!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

penismightier posted:

I know that. I was suggesting that the Star Wars poster was the actual inspiration for the Vacation poster - though in turn, Greg and Tim Hildebrandt were almost certainly inspired a bit by Frazetta.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 6, 2014

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
I've just noticed that Luke and Leia look nothing like themselves on that poster. In the faces, I mean.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

"I'd like your newest DVD copy of House, please."

"Hmm, no. Not the House I'm looking for."

"Not quite."

"Almost."

"Excellent."

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

oldpainless posted:

"I'd like your newest DVD copy of House, please."

This is the first thing I was greeted with when looking for House on Amazon. Just row after row of this, eventually followed by the other 80's horror movie and then finally the Criterion DVD of the correct House. Luckily, I could tell by the box art which was the right one.

This is why you always look for movies on Amazon.

edit: For added fun, try looking for the poster or cover art for House on GIS solely by searching the word "house". Good luck!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I always wondered just how smug the smile was on the face of the dude who came up with "The Second Story" as House II's subtitle.

Because it was totally warranted. Goddrat, you movie titlin' genuis!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

caligulamprey posted:

I always wondered just how smug the smile was on the face of the dude who came up with "The Second Story" as House II's subtitle.

Ohhhhhhh, story!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
It's nice when a bad American poster

can be improved overseas.

Even if it becomes much more boring in the process.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ed Harris is The Incredible Botox Man

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tewratomeh posted:

To tie this back in with movie posters, here's the excellent poster for Battle Royale:

Note that even in the original Japanese poster they use English words, "Battle Royale Survival Program". Given that the film is promoted using English words, and the name is officially "Battle Royale" and not "Having a Time on Island With Killer Children From School", I'll call it "Battle Royale".
That poster is in Chinese, not Japanese.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

So? All that English text features on the Japanese posters so his point still stands.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gonz posted:

Ed Harris is The Incredible Botox Man

I don't think Ed Harris ever looked that young. I've seen Walker and still no.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Vegetable posted:

That poster is in Chinese, not Japanese.

What makes you say that?

e:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mister Chief posted:

So? All that English text features on the Japanese posters so his point still stands.

It also appears in the film itself, in the background of the video explaining the rules.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Darthemed posted:

What makes you say that?

Because the Japanese poster looks like this and has Japanese text on it.

Mister Chief posted:

Japanese, Korean and Chinese people take a fairly dim view of being misidentified as each other.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Darthemed posted:

What makes you say that?

e:

Say what you will about this poster -- and it is worthy of this thread's scrutiny by every measure -- but that is one HELL of a tagline.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
I too think of dog ladyparts getting the snip when I think of David Spade.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

Japanese, Korean and Chinese people take a fairly dim view of being misidentified as each other.

If he had posted the French poster I would have made literally the same post. I also know that's the Chinese poster since we had this exact conversation about this exact poster in the previous thread.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Tewratomeh posted:

But come to think of it, House has recently been localized in a Criterion Collection DVD as "House" and not "Hausu", so that argument should probably be put to rest. It's out in the States, it's known as "House", the end.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

oldpainless posted:

"Not quite."

I've always liked this poster.

And yeah the movie is loving stupid but for some reason it holds a special place in my heart. Also DING DONG YOU'RE DEAD is better than the tagline above.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Yodzilla posted:

I've always liked this poster.

And yeah the movie is loving stupid but for some reason it holds a special place in my heart. Also DING DONG YOU'RE DEAD is better than the tagline above.

That's a great poster, but the movie is stupid fun.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Because the Japanese poster looks like this and has Japanese text on it.

I went through pages of image search results, and that poster you posted showed up once. Every other poster was in English, French, German, etc. and they all had the same design as the Chinese poster. I take that to mean that all territories outside of Japan had a better poster than the original... but all that aside, my main point was about the logo, which is in English.

Oh here, here's another official Japanese poster:

http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/4fec205b

I assume it's for an in-store promotion, what with Takeshi's head taking up the entire top half and the rest of the cast relegated to tiny stills below.

I like this poster for the second:

I heard the second was pretty mediocre, but the poster has more going for it than just "LOGO - TEXT". It's simple but effective, in a cheesy 80's B-movie kind of way.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Tewratomeh posted:

I heard the second was pretty mediocre, but the poster has more going for it than just "LOGO - TEXT". It's simple but effective, in a cheesy 80's B-movie kind of way.
It's worse than mediocre. I loved the first one and went to the premiere of the second in London, and was utterly baffled that it got a standing ovation at the end. It's pretty terrible.

Look at those douchebags.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Akuma posted:

It's worse than mediocre. I loved the first one and went to the premiere of the second in London, and was utterly baffled that it got a standing ovation at the end. It's pretty terrible.

:stare:

Was it a 'foreign movie courtesy clap' or something? That movie was pretty bad.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That's a great poster, but the movie is stupid fun.

House and House II are great horror/comedies. Wasn't there a Saturday morning cartoon based on House II? The 80's were weird.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Dissapointed Owl posted:

:stare:

Was it a 'foreign movie courtesy clap' or something? That movie was pretty bad.
No it was a proper "poo poo YES BRAVO" thing. I think someone literally said "Bravo!"

Edit: I should point out that the crowd laughed every time a dead/number left alive notification came on-screen. I don't know. Maybe they thought it was a comedy?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Akuma posted:

Maybe they thought it was a comedy?

The first was a satire, so that was probably an apt interpretation unless the second was supposed to be super-serious and a complete departure from the first.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Allow me to interrupt this horror/pronunciation/nationality clusterfuck with a new poster!

:smug:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Tewratomeh posted:

The first was a satire, so that was probably an apt interpretation unless the second was supposed to be super-serious and a complete departure from the first.
If we were supposed to laugh at the copious amounts of whiny teenage angst (I learned the Japanese for "shut up" from this film because that was about 80% of the dialogue) then I guess they were bang on. But this is getting off-topic...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

zenintrude posted:

Allow me to interrupt this horror/pronunciation/nationality clusterfuck with a new poster!

:smug:

That's the last place I expect to see a Dreamworks Face.