Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Calax posted:

I'm wondering if the Gun of Command ever made a second appearance in Star Wars. Seems like the sort of thing that'd make Kevin J Anderson and his Death Star/Sun Crusher/World Devestator/Super Torpedo/whatever droool with delight.

"This gun isn't big enough. Let's make it a BIGGER GUN. And we'll make it...look like a GIANT GUN SPACE STATION."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
I have to admit that I had totally forgotten the Gun of Command. It does kind of seem like if such a thing existed that it would be used for more than kidnapping ex-girlfriends. I mean, you'd think they'd have busted that thing out during the Vong war at some point.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So I just started playing both KOTOR games on STEAM for up coming MMO going FTP when this happened.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

So I just started playing both KOTOR games on STEAM for up coming MMO going FTP when this happened.

Be nice, they just wanted to have Atton mention it as frequently as possible so that people would take the time to play it in game, or at least acknowledge it's existence.

The programmers worked so hard on that minigame and none of the playtesters even knew it existed. :(

I kid, but seriously, who thinks it's a good idea to stick a cardgame into an RPG.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It just cracks me up at Atton and his almost aspergers-esqe love for Pazaak. I love the little Han Solo-ish jerk really.

Also, I have no problem with card games in RPGs. What weirded me out in KOTOR 2 was those ground turret sections.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

SeanBeansShako posted:

It just cracks me up at Atton and his almost aspergers-esqe love for Pazaak. I love the little Han Solo-ish jerk really.

Also, I have no problem with card games in RPGs. What weirded me out in KOTOR 2 was those ground turret sections.

I ignored every single one in order to reap more experience. :smug:

Those were a little strange though, although I'm biased because I hate turret sections in any game.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also, so far the game with the completed Restoration Mod is running smooth. I had one crash near the end of leaving the dead Mining Base which I'm sure happened with normal KOTOR 2 before as well.

Not seen any of the new stuff yet, but you can craft and upgrade a lot more stuff.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

In terms of BioWare minigames the Jade Empire ancient China ornithopter ones are by far the best. I guess followed by the part where you can shoot space monkeys in Mass Effect 2.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Ursine Asylum posted:

"This gun isn't big enough. Let's make it a BIGGER GUN. And we'll make it...look like a GIANT GUN SPACE STATION."

It blows up suns... by firing a projectile through hyperspace.

Oh, and it's created by a clone emperor.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

In terms of BioWare minigames the Jade Empire ancient China ornithopter ones are by far the best. I guess followed by the part where you can shoot space monkeys in Mass Effect 2.

KOTOR 2 is done by Obsidian, who reminded us recently with their love for needlessly fiddily card games nobody can play with Caravan in Fallout New Vegas.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Calax posted:

It blows up suns... by firing a projectile through hyperspace.

Oh, and it's created by a clone emperor.

I'm pretty sure the clone of Palpatine also had a super star destroyer that was twice as large and as powerful as any other super star destroyer and was armed with a planet destroying super-laser of its own.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh you all know what Bowie was like in his youth. Space Bowie has to one up.

Still, I'd take Space Bowie and his Death Star toys any day over WALKING BACK IN TIME WITH DA FORCE/FORCE BRAIN CLOT!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

VaultAggie posted:

I ignored every single one in order to reap more experience. :smug:

They fixed that bug with the Restoration Pack, you now get more experience for shooting the guys than for defeating them in combat.

There's this one bit in KOTOR 2 where Atton starts bitching at T3 for always making him go first in Pazaak and accusing him of getting way more 20s than he should be able to, which was an enjoyable rejoinder of KOTOR 1's even shittier Pazaak.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm pretty sure the clone of Palpatine also had a super star destroyer that was twice as large and as powerful as any other super star destroyer and was armed with a planet destroying super-laser of its own.

Twice as large would be showing a lot of restraint, by the EU's standards. Are you sure it wasn't like twenty times as large?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Rogue1-and-a-half posted:

Twice as large would be showing a lot of restraint, by the EU's standards. Are you sure it wasn't like twenty times as large?

Surprisingly, after digging around on Wookiepedia for a bit, the final size I can find is 17.5 kilometers, compared to a regular SSD size of 12.8. :v:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I try not to think about the weight, size, length or crew population of Star Wars space navy ships.

They are constantly changing and sometimes the numbers are from impossible to really silly. Some things should be left to the imagination.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rogue1-and-a-half posted:

I have to admit that I had totally forgotten the Gun of Command. It does kind of seem like if such a thing existed that it would be used for more than kidnapping ex-girlfriends. I mean, you'd think they'd have busted that thing out during the Vong war at some point.
You know Wookiepedia articles have an appearance section right?

Better at Wookiepedia than you :smug:...............:suicide:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

SeanBeansShako posted:

They are constantly changing and sometimes the numbers are from impossible to really silly. Some things should be left to the imagination.

I'm sure at one point, I read one of the EU which said in reference to the number of Clones, for Attack of the Clones, they had 3 million clones. 3 million. That's so tiny. :stare:

I just wish they wouldn't mention these things. It's almost as stupid as trying to explain a scientific explanation for the Force. Why!? It's magic, it doesn't need explaining.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

That was just Karen Traviss being crazy.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'm sure at one point, I read one of the EU which said in reference to the number of Clones, for Attack of the Clones, they had 3 million clones. 3 million. That's so tiny. :stare:

I just wish they wouldn't mention these things. It's almost as stupid as trying to explain a scientific explanation for the Force. Why!? It's magic, it doesn't need explaining.

I never quite understood why something in a fantasy world involving space ships had ground troops to begin with. I mean who cares if you win the ground war if the other side just comes in with ships and cordons off the planet until all your ground troops surrender or starve? I could see it if it was like, some critical planet with ship-building facilities or something but it all just seems so very silly. Almost like it was entirely decided that "we need to have a ground troop war so that we can have a gungan winning it by being silly" or some poo poo.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Ursine Asylum posted:

I never quite understood why something in a fantasy world involving space ships had ground troops to begin with. I mean who cares if you win the ground war if the other side just comes in with ships and cordons off the planet until all your ground troops surrender or starve? I could see it if it was like, some critical planet with ship-building facilities or something but it all just seems so very silly. Almost like it was entirely decided that "we need to have a ground troop war so that we can have a gungan winning it by being silly" or some poo poo.

Same reason island nations have ground troops. They hold landing zones and defense weapons. The ESB Ion cannon comes to mind.

Also, some planets can feed themselves indefinitely. And the cost to the inhabitants and infrasctructure of a cordon could make owning the system useless.

As to Palpatines bigger star destroyer, you're right. The Eclipse. although I don't think it's superlaser can kill planets, just wipe out capital ships. Oh, and it made an appearance in Empire At War of all things.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Is there anything Wookieepedia won't list. :gonk:

I wonder what happens if you search for 'dignity'.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Urdnot Fire posted:

That was just Karen Traviss being crazy.

In fairness to Traviss, the number of clones was established before she started writing about them. I think it owes to an ambiguity in the script for Episode II, when the prime minister of Kamino informs Obi-Wan that they've finished twenty-thousand "units" and have a million more on the way without specifying exactly what a "unit" was meant to represent.

As a matter of fact, the book Shatterpoint has one scene where Mace Windu observes that there are 1.2 million clones, which is enough for one on every Republic planet with a handful left over.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If Zahn was soley in charge of the EU the logical numbers thing would have worked out. But since Star Wars is passed around to a series of other authours/money grubbing hacks this data tracking has become an irrelevant waste of time and just reminds us all of that kid we knew in school who needlessly lied and one upped everything.

In other news, almost out of Telos in KOTOR 2. I love that game but christ it is such a slow burn to get into at the start.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

I wonder what happens if you search for 'dignity'.
I know you were kidding, but apparently there's a "Medal of Dignity" from the TIE Fighter game:

quote:

The Medal of Dignity was an Imperial starfighter pilot medal awarded for successfully holding off Admiral Zaarin's attacks against the Empire's TIE Avenger production facilities.

The plants were eventually destroyed, however the Imperial Navy managed to stand their ground for quite some time, and managed to destroy a portion of Zaarin's forces, therefore maintaining their dignity.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Urdnot Fire posted:

TIE Fighter game:

Thanks for reminding me that LucasArts is in no rush whatsoever to restore the greatest Star Wars game franchise they ever produced :arghfist::smith:

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Okay, I read the EU; some of it I actually like quite a lot. But that is just stupid.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Palpatine did a lot of drugs in Dark Empire.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

This is it. This is the post that officially killed Star Wars for me.

quote:

My favorite Star Wars conspiracy is that the Emperor wasn't spending all those resources creating crazy superweapons like the Death Star and the Sun Crusher and putting together gigantic fleets of Star Destroyers wasn't to stop the Rebel Alliance, but rather in preparation of the Yuuzhan Vong Invasion that would happen about a quarter century after RoTJ ended.

Now the Emperor is a pretty smart guy. I mean, he got himself elected to Chancellor of the Republic, started a war, earned himself absolute control on both sides of the war, then managed to turn the galaxy against the guys who for a millennium had served as icons of peacekeeping, justice, and democracy. And that takes some serious strategizing! But here's the thing:

At this point, the Republic was falling apart, with or without a Sith-led Separatist movement to nudge them in the wrong direction. The senate was a clusterfuck where nothing ever got done. Corruption reigned supreme. Even the Jedi Council wasn't doing it's job properly. Ideally, Jedi are supposed to act as bastions of compassion and moderation. The way the Jedi would be tasked to deal with a situation is as a balancing influence between, say, two conflicting nation-states, or a particularly quarrelsome trade agreement. Everyone respected and would listen to a Jedi, and even without acting on behalf of the Republic, they should be able to arrive on a scene and be able to allow discussion and bureaucracy to flourish. Instead, the Jedi Council of the waning days of the Republic had grown inward and conservative, spending all their time meditating on the state of the galaxy and not enough time heading out there and fixing poo poo. This held throughout the war, when Jedi were surprisingly quick to jump to open combat as opposed to discussion.

In short, the Republic was completely and utterly unprepared for a real invasion, from a force that wasn't being controlled by a puppetmaster who was preventing either side from gaining an advantage until the moment was right. The kinds of fleets that were commonplace in the Empire would have been impossible for the Republic to even agree to create, let alone have the wherewithal to actually build. What Palpatine did was take a failing system and tear it out by the roots, replacing it with a brutally efficient, military-industrial focused society - one that could adequately prepare for an invasion of the scale of the Yuuzhan Vong were already beginning.

Second of all, if you think about it, creating a weapon that can destroy planets doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you're fighting a war against a well funded, but decentralized and scattered rebellion. The Rebel Alliance wasn't fighting a war of planets or borders or resources, they were fighting a war of attrition. What good is the ability to destroy a planet when your enemy doesn't even officially control any? The destruction of Alderaan, the only notable use of the Death Star, was a move made by Grand Moff Tarkin, whose Tarkin Doctrine, though it heavily influenced the way the Empire kept a tight grip on even the furthest systems, was not the ultimate purpose of the "ultimate weapon". Tarkin was convinced that the Death Star was his tool, one of intimidation and despotism, that he could use it to keep the Alliance, the biggest threat to his power, at bay. And we all know how that venture turned out.

No, the real purpose of the Death Star was to be able to fight a force that could completely terraform an entire planet into a gigantic, organic shipyard in a matter of months, and was backed by dozens of 100+ Kilometer across worldships. In fact, without the timely arrival of the seed of the original Yuuzhan Vong homeworld, Zonama Sekot, and a Jedi-influenced heretic cult that spurred a slave uprising, it's very unlikely that the denizens of the galaxy could have survived the war at all under the leadership of the New Republic. In fact, it's not really even fair to say that they "won" the war in any sense, with a sizable portion of the population of the galaxy eradicated, Coruscant, the former shining jewel at the heart of every major government for millennia, captured and terraformed beyond recognition, and the New Republic forced to reconstruct itself as the Galactic Alliance. Undoubtedly, for all it's flaws, the Empire could have hammered out a far less Pyrrhic victory over the Vong. And if Palpatine hadn't underestimated the abilities of both the rebellion he never considered a comparable threat, and one young Jedi, perhaps the galaxy could have avoided the deaths of uncountable sentients during the Yuuzhan Vong war years later.

TL;DR: The Emperor destroyed the Republic and built Death Stars to fight off an extragalactic invasion.

REPOST ADDENDUM: Since I didn't include this the first time around, there is ample evidence to suggest that Palpatine knew the Yuzhaan Vong were preparing an invasion. It's clearly outlined that the Chiss were aware of the Vong (Though perhaps not the threat they posed) at least as early as 27 years before the Battle of Yavin, along with Palpatine, who in Outbound Flight explains his purpose behind destroying the eponymous expedition was to prevent the discovery of an "immensely powerful and hostile alien empire" heavily hinted to be the Vong. So there you have it: Solid proof that Palpatine was aware of the Yuzhaan Vong as well as the threat they posed, 5 years before the Clone Wars even began (22 BBY).

The best part is that it is literally the whole Revan retcon from that god awful MMO time-shifted by however many thousand years. I actually liked NJO, but taking the original movies and reinterpreting them through that lense is as dumb as gently caress and the EU is just bad because poo poo like this happened. The original movies happened. X-Wing and the Zahn books happened. That's it. Nothing else. I'm done.

Also, I never read Outbound Flight, but in the context of that last paragraph, I almost wonder if it was Zahn trying his damnedest to clean up the huge loving mess that is the EU and give it some sense of logic.

Colonel Pancreas fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 13, 2012

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Don't they actually discuss that exact theory in some of the post-NJO novels?

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

astr0man posted:

Eh, I wish I could say that I stopped reading after bug orgies, but I did the whole "let's turn Jacen Solo into a cartoonishly evil moron" thing too. By that time, I was barely actually processing what I was reading, so they very well could have brought it up.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

astr0man posted:

The closest they come to that theory is one of the Vong saying:
1. The Empire would have been far better equipped to turn us back from the get go
2. The Empire was basically overrun by these cowardly democratic species
3. Therefore our invasion was ordained by our god because he caused the greater threat to be reduced to a non-threat before we even got here.

As for the whole Chiss-knew-about-the-threat thing, that was retconned in. There's no mention of Thrawn/the Chiss being worried about an external threat until the Hand of Thrawn duology, which was late enough that NJO was probably in pre-production, and then it's kind-of-hinted-at in Outbound Flight (which was published either well into or after NJO, iirc). The original Thrawn trilogy implied that the only reason the Emperor put Thrawn out into the Unknown Regions was as a power/territory grab, since Thrawn was good enough to cut a one-man-swath through the entire region with his tiny fleet.

:spergin:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Hi-5 :spergin: buddy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Colonel Pancreas posted:

Also, I never read Outbound Flight, but in the context of that last paragraph, I almost wonder if it was Zahn trying his damnedest to clean up the huge loving mess that is the EU and give it some sense of logic.

Thrawn was always supposed to have knowledge of some sort of approaching extragalactic invasion. It's explicitly stated to be the Vong in Outbound Flight (a novel which I really enjoyed, a lot more than Zahn's Hand of Judgment books) but even as far back as Vision of the Future it's revealed that Thrawn was trying to prepare the galaxy for some sort of horror awaiting beyond the edge of the galaxy, which was what eventually led to the conception of the NJO books.

(I think it's also worth pointing out that the NJO was originally going to be a comic series, before Lucasbooks basically forced the idea from Dark Horse to Del Rey.)

astr0man posted:

The recent Essential Guide to Warfare establishes this as an in-universe conspiracy theory by unrepentant Imperialists, but I think that's the only time it's been officially brought up in the EU.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
As with much of the EU it's probably safest to fudge it.

We know he knew about 'an external threat' from Rogue Planet, and Outbound Flight. Sure, he was likely to prepare against it to some extent, but that doesn't mean he didn't also want to be Super-Sith-Emperor-of-All. People can have more than one motivation.

Imagine it as a sliding scale, and then pick for yourself where canonically you choose to have the situation lie. Neither needs to kick out the other.

That said, one of the things I loved about the excellent Plagueis novel was that Plagueis, while being an absolute Sith ideal, recognised that his ultimate goal was conquest to ensure order, to benefit all. An unselfish absolute dictator. He'd kill and scheme and conquer and show no mercy, but the reason he wanted to rule the Galaxy was because he believed he was the only man (Muun) who could, and the only man who deserved to.

Turns out, Palpatine disagreed on that interpretation and still saw the Republic and free people as his (and the Sith's) enemy, so killed Plagueis and used his schemes far less benevolently.

That's one of the things I like about the non-Lucas EU - that Sith doesn't have to mean darkside and blood rage. There can be rationality and benevolence in the quest for ultimate power.

God, that really turned into a :goonsay:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPkVruTiStY
Yes, I know this is anime, and therefore, for jerks, but goddamn does this look good. :getin:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

There is no kawaii desu desu with that anime style, that short is wonderfully done and I really fecking miss X-Wing versus TIE Fighter.

I hope 1313 sells well enough for a remake of those games.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Cross-Section posted:

Yes, I know this is anime, and therefore, for jerks, but goddamn does this look good. :getin:

drat, that does look awesome. Classic star wars with empire ships and rebel ships Duking it out. Star destroyers actually blowing poo poo up and tie fighters as actually semi-threatening. Even better, the medical frigate gets blown up. :swoon:

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Colonel Pancreas posted:

but taking the original movies and reinterpreting them through that lense is as dumb as gently caress and the EU is just bad because poo poo like this happened. The original movies happened. X-Wing and the Zahn books happened. That's it. Nothing else. I'm done.

You know, it's funny, but I can read the EU (and I did read Outbound Flight) and enjoy it for what it is, but I have never looked at the EU as effecting the movies in the slightest. I mean, I read that Palpatine did all that about the Vong and I just kind of take it in. But then when I watch the movies the next time, it never even pops into my head. But I mean, it's kinda the same way with the prequels. I mean, when Alec Guinness pops up, do I connect him with Ewan MacGregor in my head? Nope. I suppose that's a measure of just how terribly the EU and the PT failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

I'm getting a combination Gundam/Aeon Flux vibe from that. That's pretty cool.