Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

I think X6's objectively looks cool but they're so ridiculously illogical that I won't allow myself to actually like it. I hope in 50 years they'll auction them off under the "what the hell were they thinking category".

Every time I see someone driving an X6 or 5 series GT I want to hurt them for potentially making BMW think that producing those models was not a terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evanauto
Jul 27, 2007

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God.

Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed among cocktails.
Pray for me now, and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.
Amen.

Steve French posted:

Every time I see someone driving an X6 or 5 series GT I want to hurt them for potentially making BMW think that producing those models was not a terrible idea.

Or at least go up to them and give them your card saying: "Here. This is me. I'm going to help you save money. Next time you even think about a car, call me."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I really don't get why people care that BMW makes the X6 and 5 GT. Enlighten me.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Well you see let me tell you about heritage and brand purity and abburrrrpphhhff

I've got a BMW and I don't give a poo poo what other models they make as long as they keep making models that I like. If they stop making models I like, I'll stop buying them. Simple as that. That they make things like the X6 and 5GT really has no bearing on whether or not the 3-series is a good car. The existence of the X6 isn't going to stop me from buying an M3.

Same poo poo with people getting their jimmies rustled by Porsche making the Cayenne (which made Porsche profitable enough again to keep making 911s and whatnot...).

Guinness fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 15, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well I think they are actually getting rid of the 5 GT because it was too ugly even for BMW buyers and sales have been quite slow. The 5 GT actually had a plausible reason to exist, since it was basically the back end of a 7 series grafted on to the front of a 5 series, the rear seat passengers can get a 7 while the driver/chauffeur gets the 5, sort of like those old timey stage coaches where the driver just sits outside in the rain as is correct for his social status or something.

However I don't know what the point of the X6 is.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

kimbo305 posted:

250 units sounds about right:
http://jalopnik.com/5942712/volvo-is-actually-building-a-small-hot-rod-for-us-americans
If these don't sell out, I'll sneer even harder at the "I'd buy a diesel manual AWD X for sure!" types.

its FWD though, so...?

Golf R priced FWD Volvo.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Cream_Filling posted:

edit: Oh, also, the ugly is spreading:

New Smart car concept. Looks pretty familiar, really.
This looks like the bad kid in the neighborhood who's about to pull a hilarious prank, such as setting your cat on fire.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Cream_Filling posted:

So, in other words, standard modern BMW product planning? These are the people who brought you the X6, after all. The original SUV Coupe.

I object to that characterization of the X6.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Throatwarbler posted:

Well I think they are actually getting rid of the 5 GT because it was too ugly even for BMW buyers and sales have been quite slow. The 5 GT actually had a plausible reason to exist, since it was basically the back end of a 7 series grafted on to the front of a 5 series, the rear seat passengers can get a 7 while the driver/chauffeur gets the 5, sort of like those old timey stage coaches where the driver just sits outside in the rain as is correct for his social status or something.

Isn't the Audi A7 the same idea?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I really don't get why people care that BMW makes the X6 and 5 GT. Enlighten me.

They got rid of the 5 series wagon in the US when they introduced the 5 GT. When I was considering buying a 3 series wagon, I was informed that they were also considering replacing it with a 3 GT.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

Isn't the Audi A7 the same idea?

I don't think so? The A7 and the CLS are the same idea, sedans with swoopy "coupe" rear ends, they are more cramped in the back compared to the A6/E-class. The 6 Series Gran Coupe or whatever the gently caress it's called is the BMW version. The 5 GT is larger in the back, it looks like some kind of pregnant alien.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Kinda sorta off topic but I got a Panamera 4 as a loaner today. In no world should that car make sense but I'm having a lot of fun with it. I fully admit that it could have a lot to do with owning two cars that have just about every luxury feature stripped out but having a quiet, comfortable ride with air-conditioned seats is really winning me over. The interior is fantastic and the best part is that being inside of it means you don't have to look at the exterior. That said, the styling is just so odd that it actually seems to work in person.

Before I just laughed when I saw a Panamera. Now I actually kind of get it. Obviously I'd have the V8 version but I'm looking forward to seeing how they depreciate when I get to the point where I actually need a four seater.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Kinda sorta off topic but I got a Panamera 4 as a loaner today. In no world should that car make sense but I'm having a lot of fun with it. I fully admit that it could have a lot to do with owning two cars that have just about every luxury feature stripped out but having a quiet, comfortable ride with air-conditioned seats is really winning me over. The interior is fantastic and the best part is that being inside of it means you don't have to look at the exterior. That said, the styling is just so odd that it actually seems to work in person.

Before I just laughed when I saw a Panamera. Now I actually kind of get it. Obviously I'd have the V8 version but I'm looking forward to seeing how they depreciate when I get to the point where I actually need a four seater.
Ventilated seats are an option on 911s that I would totally splurge on.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

D C posted:

its FWD though, so...?

Golf R priced FWD Volvo.

Yeah, this is really disappointing. I wouldn't see anything here that would have you choose this over a Speed3 or a Focus ST for less cash, or a Golf R for around the same. If they went whole hog with the 405hp motor and AWD it might fetch a nice premium with only 250 models.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

grover posted:

Ventilated seats are an option on 911s that I would totally splurge on.

You can get them in the Kia Optima now, too!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Bovril Delight posted:

Yeah, this is really disappointing. I wouldn't see anything here that would have you choose this over a Speed3 or a Focus ST for less cash, or a Golf R for around the same. If they went whole hog with the 405hp motor and AWD it might fetch a nice premium with only 250 models.

Yeah Volvo doesn't exactly have the sporting cache that would get people to buy it just because its a special edition.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Kinda sorta off topic but I got a Panamera 4 as a loaner today.

I got to fling a Panamera GTS around Barber. I have to say I was impressed. It feels large but corners incredibly well and flies in a straight line.

In car news, Lamborghini's finally noticed their cars tend to catch fire.
http://manufacturing.automotive-business-review.com/news/lamborghini-recalls-certain-gallardo-coupe-spyder-vehicles-140912

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Well, except the part of the press release where they claim it hasn't actually started any fires, but they're worried that it could.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Rumors are abounding about the Porsche 991 Turbo. It's looking now like it's going to be unveiled next fall, and sold in early 2014. It's most likely going to have a tri-turbo 3.8-liter six-cylinder engine with somewhere in the range of 518-542 hp. Would equate to 3.2 seconds o-60 and a near 200mph top speed.

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/porsche-911-turbo-mit-allradlenkung-3588998.html

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Because they're extremely ugly? Sometimes that's all you need.

And also sales failures, at least in the US, I believe.

The GT in particular also because it takes away shipping volume/dealer inventory from 5 series wagons, as dealers are told they're "the same thing" in terms of being niche vehicles.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

ZippySLC posted:

You can get them in the Kia Optima now, too!

Yeah but unfortunately all the features are bundled together. All I really wanted was that neat two-part sunroof but to get it you've also gotta get air-cooled and heated seats. I've used them a couple times but if you're wearing a shirt I really don't notice a big difference.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I want to see mesh seats on cars. Those things are cool on office chairs.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

Because they're extremely ugly? Sometimes that's all you need.

And also sales failures, at least in the US, I believe.

The GT in particular also because it takes away shipping volume/dealer inventory from 5 series wagons, as dealers are told they're "the same thing" in terms of being niche vehicles.

There's no 5 series wagon for the US, the complaint was actually that they were cannabilizing (the higher priced) 7 series sales since it was basically a 7 series in the back.

The X6 must be doing all right, I've seen a bunch on the streets, they're made in the US so it can't cost them much (it's basically just an X5 modified with a sawzall). I've only seen 5 GTs in China.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

grover posted:

Rumors are abounding about the Porsche 991 Turbo. It's looking now like it's going to be unveiled next fall, and sold in early 2014. It's most likely going to have a tri-turbo 3.8-liter six-cylinder engine with somewhere in the range of 518-542 hp. Would equate to 3.2 seconds o-60 and a near 200mph top speed.

Tri turbo? Holy poo poo

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Q_res posted:

More pointless or less pointless than the MINI Coupe?

Hey, I have a MINI Coupe :(

I never used my back seat in my old car ever, and when I did it was people mooching rides places. No back seat = no ride moochers. It's got the same wheelbase as the regular mini so it's got an impressive amount of trunk space for a car of its size. Is it practical for trips to Home Depot and hauling labradors? No. Do I do any of that on a regular enough basis to need a bigger car? Nope. It's just me and occasionally my (small, not labrador) dog the vast majority of the time.

That being said I think the MINI Countryman is pointless, if you need a big car then maybe you shouldn't be looking at cars that are labeled as "mini".

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Warcabbit posted:

I object to that characterization of the X6.

I think the AMC Eagle two-door coupe might qualify as an earlier example.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I think the AMC Eagle two-door coupe might qualify as an earlier example.
Let's just circumvent a few pages of this and cut straight to Spyker.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Let's just circumvent a few pages of this and cut straight to Spyker.

that thing is loving gorgeous!

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Linedance posted:

that thing is loving gorgeous!

Exactly what I was thinking as well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah, I don't get why car seats have to be so huge and fat. I know they have to fit airbags these days, but give us some kind of swanky sci-fi type mesh seats. They're light weight, comfortable and absolutely brilliant in the summer.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Cream_Filling posted:

Xterras have some mesh on the seats, not everywhere though, wonder what thought went into the placement, high wear areas?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The X6 is for people who want an X5, but can't figure out what they'd do with all that cargo space.

The X5 is for people who, on paper, want a wagon, but think wagons are for grannies.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Endless Mike posted:

The X5 is for people who, on paper, want a wagon, but think wagons are for grannies.

These people, of course, are still living in 1990 and failed to notice that in the intervening 20 years, every other person who mistakenly thought they were too cool for wagons bought an SUV or CUV, including those grannies.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I have a soft spot for the X-90. Mostly because I had a Geo Trakker. Rolled like a wet llama in turns, but not a bad little thing. Went places till I killed it. Mom bought pretty floormats for it, two inches thick, they slid under the brake pedal, and my lack of experience managed to destroy the car at 30 mph.

Is there really an earlier SUV that got turned into a coupe, though? Not an all-terrain car, but a full on SUV-coupe.

(God the Spyker 60 is gorgeous.)

In other news, went to the dealer today. No Focus ST till October or November. drat. I mean, I can wait, but it's annoying.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

grover posted:

I guess we're basically giving up on anyone ever working on their own car again. Making cars that people are afraid to own second hand can't be good for depreciation. I was going to guess that it could affect sales but let's be honest, people that buy $100k+ cars don't give a poo poo about its worth out of warranty.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

D C posted:

Xterras have some mesh on the seats, not everywhere though, wonder what thought went into the placement, high wear areas?

Low wear areas, maybe. Mesh would wear quicker than solid fabric of the same thread.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Phy posted:

Low wear areas, maybe. Mesh would wear quicker than solid fabric of the same thread.

Not to bring up my Optima twice in one page, but it does have mesh on the entire sides of the seats and I couldn't help but think that'll be the first thing to get destroyed once someone snags a button or something on it. It's only a few months old at this point but it feels like an accident waiting to happen. I agree it looks nice but why put something there you know will be destroyed?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My seats have mesh and they hold up well for being a 2006. My only complain is that they are impossible to clean.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Steve French posted:

The BMW X6 is only for people that wanted a really, really expensive Nissan Murano with better looking headlight/tailights and more technogizmos.

Steve French posted:

They got rid of the 5 series wagon in the US when they introduced the 5 GT. When I was considering buying a 3 series wagon, I was informed that they were also considering replacing it with a 3 GT.

F30 3-series will have a wagon arriving in 2013 and it's drat nice. They'll make a GT version too for suburban retards that need extra space JUST IN CASE THEY RANDOMLY BUY A 60" TV AT COSTCO ON A WHIM!" *oh poo poo, it won't fit anyway!*

I just picked up my F10 535 that I had ordered back in July and it has a great 6 speed manual. It was the only one they'd ordered for someone in 2 years. I figured the bugs had been worked out of these since 2010 and this was the last time I'd ever be able to get one with a stick, so what the hell. I'm just saying that silly cars like the X6 and GT's subsidize the fact that I can still get a 5 series stick in some respects.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas

grover posted:

Haha, Imagine telling that to the guys building them in the 60's