Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Someone with more time on their hands than me should do a quick primer of cool setting poo poo in 13th Age to riff dungeon ideas off of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Also money sent.

I think we need an orc with pie.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Swagger Dagger posted:

Someone with more time on their hands than me should do a quick primer of cool setting poo poo in 13th Age to riff dungeon ideas off of.

We should probably just start with all the stupid SA/meme suggestions just to get it out of our system before discussing the actual good ideas.

Another idea is to just go down a path of discussion topics to get the crux of an idea. Start with something high level, like "What kind of environment should the dungeon be" and then vote on stuff like Jungle, Forest, Subterranean, Interior of a Koru Behemoth, etc., then go from there? I have no idea how it would be organized in the end, but it is at least some semblance of framework.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Money sent! :bubblewoop:

Now to contribute by making horrible suggestions about miniature giant space hamsters or something.

fake e: The setting I was thinking about creating for a game I want to run was having a giant subterranean golem-forge where the creations have split into two warring factions fighting over some core part of the forge. That's all I really have at the moment :shobon:

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 14, 2012

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Mustache Ride posted:

I sent my dough. I hope Simon doesn't have to pull out :ohdear:

I don't think so. It's Fire Opal's campaign, not Pelgrane's. But Pelgrane's name is featured so prominently in it that him making a direct donation to one of the most visible tiers could draw Kickstarter's attention.

This, by the way, is the best thing. The Awful Dungeon will be amazing.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
You are in a deep pit of despair, Falling into Ian's well was probably a stupid decision, although not listening to the people shouting help from above fills you with a smug sense of self satisfaction. You see the subterreanean passages here are well trodden, life is further evidenced by a sign crudely affixed to the dirt wall.

"Get out." it says, with a crude rendition of a frog scrawled beneath it. You pause to contemplate the meaning of this before seeing another sign further down the way. As you approach you can see it also has a crude rendition of a frog, this time though he is depicted with a glowing radiance. The sign reads:

"This is a level beyond get out. Lets call it Get Out 2."

You get the sense you are not welcome here, but no matter. You will not be thwarted in your search for the Zybourne Clock.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
25 to red mage.

My vote is for red mage to have editorial control of the pitch before we send it on and Fire Opel/Pelgrane does whatever they want to it, to give a layer of cohesion to it (and to hopefully weed out your dumb puns and tortured references).

And also red mage gets the bonus materials with the reward and does whatever he wants with them (he mentioned child's play)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Red_Mage posted:

You are in a deep pit of despair, Falling into Ian's well was probably a stupid decision, although not listening to the people shouting help from above fills you with a smug sense of self satisfaction. You see the subterreanean passages here are well trodden, life is further evidenced by a sign crudely affixed to the dirt wall.

"Get out." it says, with a crude rendition of a frog scrawled beneath it. You pause to contemplate the meaning of this before seeing another sign further down the way. As you approach you can see it also has a crude rendition of a frog, this time though he is depicted with a glowing radiance. The sign reads:

"This is a level beyond get out. Lets call it Get Out 2."

You get the sense you are not welcome here, but no matter. You will not be thwarted in your search for the Zybourne Clock.

10/10 Will Run this every campaign forever.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
>awfldung.exe

You awaken in complete darkness. It is likely you have been eaten by a Koru.

>:ovr:

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
As you enter the next chamber, you notice a prominently displayed altar of a god of old. He is portrayed with the head of a lion, the body of a man, and is wielding an axe in his right hand. You get the feeling he was a wrathful god indeed.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
We're getting closer to the second stretch goal. Now and forever, I want to play a necromancer physician who maintains that his treatments will always get his patients up and walking again.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Welcome to Something Awful, where in the span of a regular amount of sleep we can raise $500 to put together a dungeon based on our collective memes ideas.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
WEEZY CONTROL A NARRATIVE

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

Gau posted:

Welcome to Something Awful, where in the span of a regular amount of sleep we can raise $500 to put together a dungeon based on our collective memes ideas.

Those words are technically synonymous :eng101:

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Since I didn't get an answer last time, I'm going to repeat my question and try to make it more concise:

Is there any cheap PDF-only way to get the core book? So far, I've found two options: Pay $50 to preorder the deadtree, get PDF. Or, back the kickstarter at the $50 level, get the PDF, retract backing, get it for $0. The first option is too expensive to me right now, and the second option seems too dickish for me to do without the blessing of the people behind the kickstarter.

FWIW, a PDF-only option for something in the neighborhood of $15 would be a "please take my money now". $20 is "I'll jump on that when I know I'll have a chance to use it."

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I believe they've said that a pdf-only version will come out after the physical copy has been out for a bit.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Yeah, I'd be willing to grab this at a cheaper pricepoint, but $50 is too much for my dried up wallet at the moment, especially when I haven't even played any of it yet.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
Here's a random idea I had for the dungeon. This is more so bullet points rather than some kind of lore, but hell, lets get these ideas rolling.

A Sun themed dungeon that revolves around manipulating light in different ways (aiming light with mirrors, powering objects solar powered style, magnifying the light to cook/burn obstacles/enemies with different sized lenses or magical what-have-you, etc.) to reach to core. The core could either have some kind of infestation (*cough cough* Metroid Prime's Flaahgra *cough cough*) Or its powering the dungeon/floating island/Magic tower/*Insert dungeon location here*.

That's all I got, and now to regret suggesting such a terrible idea on the internet.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

inklesspen posted:

Since I didn't get an answer last time, I'm going to repeat my question and try to make it more concise:

Is there any cheap PDF-only way to get the core book? So far, I've found two options: Pay $50 to preorder the deadtree, get PDF. Or, back the kickstarter at the $50 level, get the PDF, retract backing, get it for $0. The first option is too expensive to me right now, and the second option seems too dickish for me to do without the blessing of the people behind the kickstarter.

FWIW, a PDF-only option for something in the neighborhood of $15 would be a "please take my money now". $20 is "I'll jump on that when I know I'll have a chance to use it."

From what I've seen on their website, they're putting the PDF out at around $20 (the wording was something like 'around half the price of the print version') and it'll be released a few months after the print version. It's a silly way to do things and I think the PDF price is too high, especially for a delayed release, but it's what they seem dedicated to doing at the moment.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If 20 bucks for a ~350 page PDF with good production values is too high for you you're not going to be happy with any sort of business plan they could be using.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What's locked in the treasure chest? I bet it's a smaller treasure chest.

My :10bux: just flew through the internet to Red_Mage, neat!

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

inklesspen posted:

I greatly appreciate your not wanting to be dickish. If you backed 13 True Ways at $50, got the Kickstarter Edition PDF, then reduced your pledge to an amount you could more easily afford -- say, $25 or $13 -- I would not think you were a dick at all.

Pelgrane is currently aiming for December for the PDF release of the core game.

Dekar
Feb 17, 2011

Has there been any official word when the core book gets its printed release?

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
$30.00 sent to Red_Mage. We're doing this loving thing.

I'm not so hot on the memes - I'm just in for at least one area having traps out the rear end in a top hat - like, ludicrous and obvious amounts of traps, but having a decent reward at the end for anyone crazy enough to head through. Think Indiana Jones meets Tomb of Horrors traps.

There may be traps, is what I'm saying. Either that or crazy horror stalker elements. Anything that adds environmental tension.

(edit: Not like instant kill traps like ToH. Mean traps. Traps that make you go, 'drat that's a shitload of danger'.)

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 15, 2012

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Honestly, I'd be cool with $500 cementing the fact that something called the Awful Dungeon is out there and players can put whatever they think is appropriate into it.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Maybe we should make it the Offal Dungeon instead. Just otyughs, otyughs as far as the eye can see.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

moths posted:

Honestly, I'd be cool with $500 cementing the fact that something called the Awful Dungeon is out there and players can put whatever they think is appropriate into it.

This is seriously the best attitude. What made Mikan's 13a playtest iconic SA wasn't the references (there were none), it was the quality and humor and surprising... ubiquity? ...distance it traveled? Something like that.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
So thinking about a section of the dungeon that's full of traps.

What about a dungeon design that gave an overarching atmosphere, but was pretty much a GM toolkit. A concept that allowed interchangeability and to focus on different types of dungeoneering based in player hooks?

Great, but possible? I have no idea what our constraints are. Is this like the dungeon descriptions in the core? Or do we have room for something more in depth?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

• Tollymain - $60
  • ack - $50
  • animaCartographer - $50
  • Mustache Ride - $50
  • Kenderama - $30
  • SageNytell - $30
  • fosborb - $25
  • Dominion - $20
  • GrandpaPants - $20
  • TG-Chrono - $20
  • Alien Rope Burn - $15
  • Overemotional Robot - $25
  • Moths - $10
  • Evil Mastermind - $10
  • Red_Mage - $10 <Obv.

So far I've received 305 (minus paypal's fee of course). Once the following two come through (and Simon), I'll pledge it to the kickstarter and start a thread.

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack
I go out for the night and nearly miss my own thing, you sure got it going fast.

Money sent.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Necromancer unlocked!

On track for $42k next!

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
And we have Necromancy! The power of desecrating the dead and perverting the laws of nature is made possible by generous donations from members like you. Thank you!

Man, this has been really picking up steam! Maybe we'll see the power of devils by the end of this!

corillon
Jun 18, 2004

When you giggle you leak piss.
Grimey Drawer
Glad to the Kickstarter going well. I can't jump in at this time but am looking forward to getting the book sometime after it is released.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kenderama posted:

Necromancer unlocked!

On track for $42k next!

And my group said it would never happen. I guess it's time for me to make as many horrible death related puns as I can to them.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Bedlamdan posted:

And my group said it would never happen. I guess it's time for me to make as many horrible death related puns as I can to them.

For their sake, please don't include any about 'cracking open a cold one'.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Solomonic posted:

For their sake, please don't include any about 'cracking open a cold one'.

I have written that one down, and as they wrap their hands around my throat to prevent any further words from being spoken, as I gasp this out in a ragged whisper from my dead lips, that is the one I will say.

But in all seriousness this is great news if only because I have an extended adventure planned involving a coven of necromancers, and now I can just sit on my behind while Pelgrane does the work for me. Plus, I was always very disappointed that D&D 4E never gave a decent shake at the Necromaner (unless there was something about it in D&D Insider?).

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
  • Simon - $100
  • Tollymain - $60
  • ack - $50
  • animaCartographer - $50
  • Mustache Ride - $50
  • Kenderama - $30
  • SageNytell - $30
  • fosborb - $25
  • Dominion - $20
  • GrandpaPants - $20
  • TG-Chrono - $20
  • Alien Rope Burn - $15
  • Overemotional Robot - $25
  • Moths - $10
  • Evil Mastermind - $10
  • Red_Mage - $10 <Obv.

Just waiting on Tollymain to kick in and we are set. 452.50 at the moment.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I hate to contribute to choice anxiety, but I'd also point out that the $500 can build a dungeon... or a flying realm. What's a flying realm? Well, the playtest details them; they're literally locations in the sky that float around for various reasons, from mysterious floating dungeons to airships to pieces of other worlds.

Food for thought, anyway!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I hate to contribute to choice anxiety, but I'd also point out that the $500 can build a dungeon... or a flying realm. What's a flying realm? Well, the playtest details them; they're literally locations in the sky that float around for various reasons, from mysterious floating dungeons to airships to pieces of other worlds.

Food for thought, anyway!

I kind of love the idea of a huge floating abandoned airship that's basically a drifting dungeon filled with the ghosts of the crew and whatever killed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I kind of love the idea of a huge floating abandoned airship that's basically a drifting dungeon filled with the ghosts of the crew and whatever killed them.

ZenMasterBullshit, please. They had families.

• Locked thread