Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kylejack
Feb 28, 2006

I'M AN INSUFFERABLE PEDANTIC POMPOUS RACIST TROLL WHO BELIEVES VACCINES CAUSE AUTISM. I SUFFER FROM TERMINAL WHITE GUILT. PLEASE EXPOSE MY LIES OR BETTER YET JUST IGNORE ME!

iyaayas01 posted:

Which is why they aren't entering without permission.
Yes, they aren't entering at all, which is why I'm glad that in this case we are respecting their sovereignty. If we are disappointed by their decision and don't feel that the embassy is secure, perhaps we can withdraw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Brown Moses posted:

This video supposedly shows Amb. Stevens body being taking out of the consulate in Benghazi. It would be interesting if anyone who knew Arabic could translate anything interesting that was being said. They seem to be dragging his body out of the building and very happy about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMSnyOMRXos
[edit] They apparently are happy because they think he's alive?

From last page, (edit: two pages back now, jesus) but this has been a point I'd like to get confirmed somehow. I saw the ensuing few posts that suggested the crowd consisted of relieved rescuers, and the optimist in me will stick with that, but there have been two posts at the National Review blog The Corner, one from the day after the event, and one from today, claiming -- based on what, I know not -- well, I'll just quote them:

Victor Davis Hanson posted:

The horrific photos of Ambassador Stevens bring to mind memories of Mogadishu or Fallujah...
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/316674/1980-redux-victor-davis-hanson

and

John O'Sullivan posted:

Details of their brutalization and murder still remain uncertain, but they died horribly, their corpses were humiliated, and their violation must not go unpunished.
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/321078/thoughts-recent-events-john-o-sullivan

I love the "details remain uncertain" bit immediately followed by certainty about details. It's all ghoulish and makes me ill, but I'm hoping that some kind of truth can be established.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

iyaayas01 posted:

Jesus christ no. Embassies are not sovereign soil. How many times do we have to go over this.

Sorry - I didn't know this. I was under the impression that inside of embassies there were some special rules that allowed the nation to operate inside those walls under it's laws as opposed to the host nation's. My guess if you'll have to go over it a lot since this is a 750+ page thread and people are going to drop in without reading the last 40 pages. Acting like a smug rear end in a top hat about it doesn't really repair the situation either.

kylejack posted:

They have certain extraterritorial aspects, but no, the embassy sits on Sudanese territory. If we feel we can't ensure security for the embassy, yeah, I think that would be a good idea. Thankfully we live in a digital age, and can conduct diplomacy with the government without having an actual foothold in the country.

That's been my thought the whole time. If our people are unsafe what's the purpose of a physical embassy. I understand in Ye Oldene Tymes that things moved slowly and it was necessary to have foreign dignitaries around so the wheels stayed greased. Nowadays everyone has a cell-phone and e-mail so instant communication isn't really an issue.

boxorocks
May 13, 2007

kylejack posted:

There's two aspects: One, there's the unsourced Independent thing, second, they're claiming that the embassy statement condemning the video is proof that they knew they were going to be attacked.

I don't know the validity of this article, but it seems to indicate that they knew that "A Bad Thing" may happen and released the statement condemning the video but it was all too late. So read into it what you will; the local diplomatic group would (should) have had their finger on the pulse and felt like they'd acted accordingly by releasing condemnation of the video but there was nothing to indicate that they'd expect an assault with the level of coordination that occurred in Libya.

http://smh.com.au/world/the-tiny-piece-of-newsprint-that-started-a-global-inferno-20120916-260ex.html

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

sicarius posted:

Sorry - I didn't know this. I was under the impression that inside of embassies there were some special rules that allowed the nation to operate inside those walls under it's laws as opposed to the host nation's. My guess if you'll have to go over it a lot since this is a 750+ page thread and people are going to drop in without reading the last 40 pages. Acting like a smug rear end in a top hat about it doesn't really repair the situation either.

Sorry, but it seems like it's gotten discussed once every couple pages for the past 6 or 7, not like we talked about it once on page 5 and never since.

sicarius posted:

That's been my thought the whole time. If our people are unsafe what's the purpose of a physical embassy. I understand in Ye Oldene Tymes that things moved slowly and it was necessary to have foreign dignitaries around so the wheels stayed greased. Nowadays everyone has a cell-phone and e-mail so instant communication isn't really an issue.

There's something to be said for face to face personal contacts, even in a somewhat dangerous situation, otherwise we wouldn't bother with embassies at all.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

iyaayas01 posted:

There's something to be said for face to face personal contacts, even in a somewhat dangerous situation, otherwise we wouldn't bother with embassies at all.

Oh, I agree. But is the value of those exchanges worth the risk of dozens of lives? I would argue, "probably not." I fully understand that face to face communication is always more effective since a great deal of our communication is unspoken, but I wouldn't really want to be the guy who puts others in a situation where I am, essentially, making the claim that communication if more valuable then their lives.

kylejack
Feb 28, 2006

I'M AN INSUFFERABLE PEDANTIC POMPOUS RACIST TROLL WHO BELIEVES VACCINES CAUSE AUTISM. I SUFFER FROM TERMINAL WHITE GUILT. PLEASE EXPOSE MY LIES OR BETTER YET JUST IGNORE ME!

iyaayas01 posted:

Well, that isn't their only purpose. There were the two CIA recently killed in Mexico.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

sicarius posted:

Oh, I agree. But is the value of those exchanges worth the risk of dozens of lives? I would argue, "probably not." I fully understand that face to face communication is always more effective since a great deal of our communication is unspoken, but I wouldn't really want to be the guy who puts others in a situation where I am, essentially, making the claim that communication if more valuable then their lives.

Welcome to the Diplomatic Service, your life isn't necessarily the most important thing. Everything is a tradeoff, and I'm sure that the assessments for pulling out are constantly being performed, but it really isn't a binary "if we don't deploy the additional Marines then we must withdraw all personnel" type thing. Deploying the additional Marines would obviously lower the risk that the embassy will be overrun, but not deploying them doesn't automatically take the risk past the acceptable risk threshold.

kylejack posted:

Well, that isn't their only purpose. There were the two CIA recently killed in Mexico.

They were only wounded, but yeah, fair enough.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

iyaayas01 posted:

Welcome to the Diplomatic Service, your life isn't necessarily the most important thing. Everything is a tradeoff, and I'm sure that the assessments for pulling out are constantly being performed, but it really isn't a binary "if we don't deploy the additional Marines then we must withdraw all personnel" type thing. Deploying the additional Marines would obviously lower the risk that the embassy will be overrun, but not deploying them doesn't automatically take the risk past the acceptable risk threshold.

I wasn't trying to imply that it was a binary decision at all. I just don't know how far down in the gutter security would need to be before we withdraw our diplomats. I'd probably be the guy that went the cautious route as opposed to risking lives what what, essentially, can be accomplished by email, Skype, and a phone call. Even if that somewhat compromised the quality of face-to-face interactions.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
Vilerat I'll remember time you came back to goonswarm, and it was like a real-life soap opera swerve. Thanks for your service to this country.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Anus Dei posted:

From last page, (edit: two pages back now, jesus) but this has been a point I'd like to get confirmed somehow. I saw the ensuing few posts that suggested the crowd consisted of relieved rescuers, and the optimist in me will stick with that, but there have been two posts at the National Review blog The Corner, one from the day after the event, and one from today, claiming -- based on what, I know not -- well, I'll just quote them:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/316674/1980-redux-victor-davis-hanson

and

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/321078/thoughts-recent-events-john-o-sullivan

I love the "details remain uncertain" bit immediately followed by certainty about details. It's all ghoulish and makes me ill, but I'm hoping that some kind of truth can be established.

The National Review tries to act like it's a classy, reliable source, but it's really not. They get in trouble for being racist shits every other month or so and twist the truth in ways that would make Fox news blush.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

sicarius posted:

I wasn't trying to imply that it was a binary decision at all. I just don't know how far down in the gutter security would need to be before we withdraw our diplomats. I'd probably be the guy that went the cautious route as opposed to risking lives what what, essentially, can be accomplished by email, Skype, and a phone call. Even if that somewhat compromised the quality of face-to-face interactions.

Yeah, I should stop being so snippy. It's ultimately a judgement call, one way or the other, and honestly DoS is a pretty risk averse organization when it comes to employee safety, just like the rest of the federal government...look at all the restrictions/permissions required to travel to certain areas in certain countries or read some of the accounts of restrictions they placed on folks working in Iraq or Afghanistan and how it impacted the ability to carry out their operations there.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The National Review tries to act like it's a classy, reliable source, but it's really not. They get in trouble for being racist shits every other month or so and twist the truth in ways that would make Fox news blush.

15-20 years ago and beyond, it was a good resource, but recently not so much.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker
http://www.youcaring.com/fundraiser_details?fundraiser_id=9332&url=benefitforseansmithsfamily

Fund for Vile Rat's (Sean Smith) family has been started and is well over $2,000 already. Please lend a hand!

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

iyaayas01 posted:

Yeah, I should stop being so snippy. It's ultimately a judgement call, one way or the other, and honestly DoS is a pretty risk averse organization when it comes to employee safety, just like the rest of the federal government...look at all the restrictions/permissions required to travel to certain areas in certain countries or read some of the accounts of restrictions they placed on folks working in Iraq or Afghanistan and how it impacted the ability to carry out their operations there.

Thanks for that. I've been involved, in the past, in politics and this is something that I think a lot of people not just take for granted, but overlook. Hopefully this tragedy will get people concerned about every American who serves the country overseas, not just the folks in uniforms with guns.

Until this happened I can honestly say I never even thought about the security of ambassadors or associated staff in embassies. Sad that it takes a tragedy to make people focus on this kind of stuff.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

SavageBastard posted:

http://www.youcaring.com/fundraiser_details?fundraiser_id=9332&url=benefitforseansmithsfamily

Fund for Vile Rat's (Sean Smith) family has been started and is well over $2,000 already. Please lend a hand!

Raised: $10493.00

I seem to have misplaced :10bux:.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

sicarius posted:

Thanks for that. I've been involved, in the past, in politics and this is something that I think a lot of people not just take for granted, but overlook. Hopefully this tragedy will get people concerned about every American who serves the country overseas, not just the folks in uniforms with guns.

Until this happened I can honestly say I never even thought about the security of ambassadors or associated staff in embassies. Sad that it takes a tragedy to make people focus on this kind of stuff.

Unfortunately this happens every once in a while.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorist_attacks_on_U.S._diplomatic_facilities

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Comstar posted:

Raised: $10493.00

I seem to have misplaced :10bux:.

I think I lost a couple of hundred somewhere. In completely unrelated news, Raised: $21,580.

RIP Sean.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This video from Deir Ez Zor appears to show a helicopter that's on fire above the town
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xgl1o8JHn8

HRW have also put out a report on torture and executions by the Syrian opposition.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 17, 2012

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Rice was making the rounds on all the Sunday morning news shows pushing the idea that the attack on the consulate wasn't premeditated and was a spontaneous direct outgrowth of the protest. This strikes me as a) premature, since the feds that are going to investigate just got on the ground a couple of days ago, and b) more than a bit of a stretch, since all the evidence (attacking when the ambassador was at the consulate, coordinated effective indirect fire, enough RPGs and mortars to keep up an effective base of fire during the assaults, knowing where the supposedly covert safe house was) points to a premeditated attack. I mean, bringing RPGs to a protest, okay, fair enough, it's post-revolution Libya, but mortars? Come on. "Hey, Muhammad, let's get down to the protest!" "Okay, but don't forget to bring your backpack of 60mm shells! I've got the mortar tube but make sure Yusif brings the baseplate!" Right.

Since it's a stretch, it raises the question...why? Simple explanation is that they're trying to push back against the idea that they had prior warning and did nothing, but that strikes me as rather risky since it opens them to charges of politicizing the event from the GOP (hypocrisy be damned) and that idea is a flat out lie propagated by one English newspaper...it's going to burn itself out soon enough, and the only people who will still believe it aren't the type of people who are going to be convinced by a member of the administration saying otherwise.

So non-simple explanations...we've already seen reports that the U.S. is deploying UAVs and additional intel assets and Libyan officials are going after Ansar al-Shariah; it's probably easier to spin that involvement as only "bringing those directly responsible to justice" than what it will really be, which is assisting the Libyan government in dismantling that entire group. Pushing the narrative that it was a "spontaneous attack" will make it easier to spin it as the first vs the second.

Just some thoughts, I'm happy to get some disagreements or alternative ideas. I just found Rice's statement rather odd and not in agreement with the facts; FWIW Carney has made similar statements over the past couple of days so it's not like Rice was off the reservation, this seems to be the narrative the administration is going with, at least for now.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's a worrying sign I think points towards the conflict lasting long after Assad goes

quote:

In Syria’s largest city, rebellion takes on an overtly religious tone

Two months into the battle for Syria’s second largest city, the airstrikes have become a part of daily life. Sometimes they are deadly accurate, taking out the rebels for whom they are intended. Just as often, they seem to miss.

A rebel headquarters in a former police station in the northeastern neighborhood of Hanano stands as testament to this. Though its windows are all broken, it has been missed at least four times, the intended strikes landing in a nearby park, an empty lot and destroying a five-story apartment building a full block away.

The battle for Aleppo that began with a rebel offensive in mid-July has settled into a stalemate. The rebels here control largely the same neighborhoods they took in the initial offensive. But there is something different here – a distinctly religious tone that this reporter hadn’t heard elsewhere in more than seven months covering Syria’s rebellion.

“This is not a revolution, it’s a jihad,” shouted one man, angry, as he stood near the rubble of the apartment building mentioned above. Behind him, men worked with a bulldozer, trying to reach people they believed were still alive under the rubble.

As the death toll in Syria continues to rise, and the end of hostilities seems no closer at hand, the words from February of a Syrian activist, who fiercely defended the democratic and non-sectarian nature of the rebellion, resonate.
“If no one else comes to help, of course people will turn to religion. When you are dying, of course you will become more religious,” he said.

The fight for Aleppo, much better planned and coordinated than perhaps any rebel offensive so far, offers a window into what things might look like after the Syrian government falls. Liwa Tawhid, one of the largest groups fighting here, had even made contingencies for policing rebel controlled neighborhoods and laid out plans to set up schools. Their plan for schooling includes religious instruction, and their council for making decisions about the fate of prisoners includes an expert in Islamic law.

At a mosque being used as a base for fighters in another neighborhood, a sign warning civilians against entering was another sign of the religious drift. The sign referred to the men inside as “mujahidin,” which translates as holy warriors, as opposed to “thowar,” which means revolutionaries.
(cont)

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5a0_1347842882

5 minute video featuring reporter "Nick Paton Walsh" in "Aleppo, Syria".
The narrative describes urban warfare at a stalemate.
There's some image stabilization technology at work, though it's applied after the "CNN EXCLUSIVE" watermark was added - it's weird, but watchable.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Mujahideen doesnt really mean holy warrior, its one of the old misconceptions that ties Jihad to holy war. It simply means "resistance" or literally "struggle". Its also used interchangeably with revolutionaries anyway, in the same sense the use of the word martyr, although martyr has holier connotations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Adar posted:

I think I lost a couple of hundred somewhere. In completely unrelated news, Raised: $21,580.

Yeah, me too.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Fizzil posted:

Mujahideen doesnt really mean holy warrior, its one of the old misconceptions that ties Jihad to holy war. It simply means "resistance" or literally "struggle". Its also used interchangeably with revolutionaries anyway, in the same sense the use of the word martyr, although martyr has holier connotations.

Mujahideen means "those who carry out jihad". Jihad as a word is used in the Quran in a way that corresponds with a concept of struggling that can include, but is not confined to, armed combat against the agents of oppression/injustice/untruth.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
I think mujahid in wehr is defined as basically someone who fights for a cause, and doesn't mention religion at all (iirc). But it's all very contextual isn't it?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

I hadn't realised that attack on Camp Bastion last Friday had done so much damage :stare:

Wired has more detail:

As a dedicated War Nerd reader I would like to thank the Taliban for blowing up those stupid loving jets that had no business being used in that war in the first place. Thank you for saving the lives of our servicemen who would have had to ride in those useless $20 million dollar war ponies :)

sicarius posted:

Where did the story even emerge that Obama and the administration had previous warning about these attacks? I haven't seen that reported ANYWHERE credible. It seems like another of those things that started on twitter and blogs and spread like wildfire, so now every Obummer hater is just parroting it, but can't source it.

Hell - I couldn't even find it on Fox.

Ahaha, that's because it started here:

It started here-- http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/11/opinion/the-bush-white-house-was-deaf-to-9-11-warnings.html (Freedom of Information Act shows Bush ignored 9/11 warnings even worse than everyone already thought)

and with longer articles that describe the incredible amount of work Obama does. http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/2012/10/michael-lewis-profile-barack-obama

which were quickly followed by nonsense like this http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/09/is-president-obama-skipping-intelligence-briefings/ (answers from the article: according to facts, no. He gets briefed all the time from all sorts of sources. According to the comments section: gently caress that traitor)

Like a lot of anti-Obama stuff from the Right, it's mostly Rove-style echo-chamber accusations that his strengths are actually his weaknesses and water-muddying.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

SavageBastard posted:

Donated some myself, but it's unfortunate that this kind of thing is necessary. Why doesn't the Department of State have the foresight to provide sufficient life insurance for the people it is sending into harms' way?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Donated some myself, but it's unfortunate that this kind of thing is necessary. Why doesn't the Department of State have the foresight to provide sufficient life insurance for the people it is sending into harms' way?

There probably are death benefits and pensions and so forth, but I doubt they're enough to (for example) pay for college for his kids, or cover surprise medical bills. Remember this is America, where you can't spell "social safety net" without "socialism".

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There probably are death benefits and pensions and so forth, but I doubt they're enough to (for example) pay for college for his kids, or cover surprise medical bills. Remember this is America, where you can't spell "social safety net" without "socialism".

I know when I was in the military my life insurance would pay out around $400,000 to my family had I died. I imagine the State Department must have something nearly equitable for foreign service officers.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Multiple videos from activists seem to prove that the FSA have pushed the Syrian army out of Salahedin, Aleppo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoGVCu7-SGs
It seems to prove that entering the third month of fighting the frontlines are very changeable, and it appears the Syrian army still can't make any serious progress.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Institute for the Study of War has a handy map of the North of Syria

Here's an video from August I missed that particularly depressing for a variety of reason, Google translated title "Youngest child Syrian Mendes - revenge on the murderer of his parents"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75V84kvA6ms

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 17, 2012

brapbrapbrap
Jan 18, 2010

by T. Mascis
Not being funny or anything but do we really even need embassies in these poo poo countries? Leave them be until they A) sort themselves out or B) wipe themselves out. If they continue to riot etc then at least they're just loving up their own countries rather than affecting any of us.

Also people who are in UK/Australia/France etc who hate their "host" country, protest against soldiers, want Islamic law etc should either be A) hosed off back where they came from or B) imprisoned for life if they were born in those countries. Maybe a bit extreme but thinking purely logically, what benefit do these people have to our society? What good is coming out of letting these people live here exactly? The sooner we clamp down on this poo poo the better IMO and btw I'm not saying ALL Muslims aren't welcome here, just the crazy ones that hate the West etc - those who just want to live peacefully side by side with everyone else are totally welcome IMO I just don't understand why we continue to tolerate the crazies. One way or the other, just them gently caress them off out of Western society - why is nobody willing to do this? I genuinely don't get it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

brapbrapbrap posted:

Not being funny or anything but do we really even need embassies in these poo poo countries? Leave them be until they A) sort themselves out or B) wipe themselves out. If they continue to riot etc then at least they're just loving up their own countries rather than affecting any of us.

My suspicion is that the consulates and embassies in some of these countries exist as much to be CIA fronts as anything else. The two "former SEALs" who died in Libya seem to fit that; one of them was described in an article as basically just travelling around Libya destroying MANPAD's.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

My suspicion is that the consulates and embassies in some of these countries exist as much to be CIA fronts as anything else. The two "former SEALs" who died in Libya seem to fit that; one of them was described in an article as basically just travelling around Libya destroying MANPAD's.

Isn't an embassy the worst CIA front you could imagine ? Everyone going in and out of the embassy will be registered and possibly followed.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Embassies and consulates have lots of uses, not the least of which is protecting the interests of your nationals within that country's borders. It'd be even more dangerous to be in a country with which your country doesn't have diplomatic relations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I will freely admit that I have no support for those suspicions other than poo poo I read on the internet and one too many Deus Ex playthroughs.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

CeeJee posted:

Isn't an embassy the worst CIA front you could imagine ? Everyone going in and out of the embassy will be registered and possibly followed.

Most intelligence gathering is fairly mundane; plus, if diplomatic staff are caught spying egregiously, all that happens is that they are declared persona non grata and expelled from the country.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A young student visits his school in Homs on the first day of the new term

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ijJgkYFPgw

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

My suspicion is that the consulates and embassies in some of these countries exist as much to be CIA fronts as anything else.

I actually kind of doubt it, if for no other reason than that they'd want to avoid turf wars. The State Dept has its own intelligence wing, the Bureau of Intelligence and Research (INR), and as with all intelligence agencies, they're somewhat protective of what they consider "theirs." Plus, having too many CIA officers among the Foreign Service would probably compromise the latter's ability to do its business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

brapbrapbrap posted:

Regardless of how volatile a country's situation is, the thought is that it's better to have some kind of presence and some base where you can keep your ear to the ground rather than being isolated from events and not knowing what's going on.

• Locked thread