Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
no can do good buddy, I'm a happy drunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

deep down you're a nice person rotor :gbsmith:

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

i kind of want to switch to sublime text 2 from emacs if for no other reason than the fact that i can script it in a language that i actually know

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

yaoi prophet posted:

i kind of want to switch to sublime text 2 from emacs if for no other reason than the fact that i can script it in a language that i actually know
i did that, no regrets so far

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

sublime text 2 owns so much i bought a license

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

EVGA Longoria posted:

sublime text 2 owns so much i bought a license

i'm tempted. tell me your favorite things about sublimetext2 so i discover new features thanks

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

My Kinesis has gone a bit weird since I filled it with coffee. Still works most of the time though. You can fit quite a lot of coffee in them.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

my stepdads beer posted:

i'm tempted. tell me your favorite things about sublimetext2 so i discover new features thanks

my favourite thing is when people accidentally check their license file into version control 

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

my stepdads beer posted:

the minimap actually owns a surprising amount, but having plugins for everything is p nice

also build systems

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Milkie Galore posted:

my favourite thing is when people accidentally check their license file into version control 

Don't you paste your license into a box? How would that get checked in

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

it saves it to disk if you paste a valid license + checks for it on startup

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
i've been using chocolat for golang programming on os x, it kind of owns

i keep hearing about sublime text 2 but i don't know if i can make a big jump away from emacs at work. it's so loving useful in like infinite ways

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Milkie Galore posted:

it saves it to disk if you paste a valid license + checks for it on startup

yeah but who's versioning their ~/Library folder or whatever

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

WHOIS John Galt posted:

i've been using chocolat for golang programming on os x, it kind of owns

i keep hearing about sublime text 2 but i don't know if i can make a big jump away from emacs at work. it's so loving useful in like infinite ways

if you're satisfied with emacs stay with emacs

i switched because my emacs configuration was frustrating me and instead of declaring config bankruptcy and loving with it nonstop for a week i decided to see if i could get used to sublime

and i could!

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
why would you go from using an actual professional tool to using some generic shitware text editor

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

vapid cutlery posted:

yeah but who's versioning their ~/Library folder or whatever

dunno i think its like when people share their vimrc file or w/e but he checked the whole folder in like an idiot

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Tiny Bug Child posted:

why would you go from using an actual professional tool to using some generic shitware text editor

drat. what a condemnation, "generic"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ubiquitous poo poo you like is "universal" (microusb on android)
ubiquitous poo poo you dislike is "generic" (deodorant, condoms)

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

It's probably because of all the money big pharma has spent making the world believe that generic drugs are bad drugs.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

vapid cutlery posted:

drat. what a condemnation, "generic"

its generic b/c it isn't any different than any other shitware text editor. you can do less stuff in it than vim and a box that asks for money probably keeps popping up

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Tiny Bug Child posted:

its generic b/c it isn't any different than any other shitware text editor. you can do less stuff in it than vim and a box that asks for money probably keeps popping up

tiny bug child has another tiny poo poo opinion itp

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

woo look at my fancy piece of poo poo shareware editor

*navigates a text file using a thumbnail*

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if you're satisfied with emacs stay with emacs

i switched because my emacs configuration was frustrating me and instead of declaring config bankruptcy and loving with it nonstop for a week i decided to see if i could get used to sublime

and i could!

i should just declare config bankruptcy soon. half this poo poo i don't even use anymore

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

the thing is there's a tradeoff for everything. emacs is super customizable and loving awesome for everything, but that maintenance has a price, and making sure that configuration has some level of consistency across machines has a price, and if you rely on stuff on github or the package repo and you can't access the internet to install that poo poo, then that has a price. and it takes up a lot of space in your head. and if you choose to hitch your poo poo to emacs, you have to accept that universal support for multi-threading is not going to be seen maybe in your lifetime. so idunno. as long as you're getting poo poo done.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
emacs is not awesome at anything. its just not as bad as vi

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

WHOIS John Galt posted:

if you choose to hitch your poo poo to emacs, you have to accept that universal support for multi-threading is not going to be seen maybe in your lifetime. so idunno. as long as you're getting poo poo done.

why would anyone ever care about this

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

emacs rules for a whole bunch of poo poo and sucks for a lot more, but it's a 35 year old work in progress and it has actually made shittons of progress

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Otto Skorzeny posted:

because without threads, i/o operations block

so... like, checking e-mail or something will freeze the UI until it's done

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

i have yet to get tramp in emacs to not freeze up for like 2-3 seconds even when saving to a virtual machine from the host

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Otto Skorzeny posted:

the part when you hit -t and mistype a filename and it thinks extra hard to figure out what you could possibly mean instead of doing that in a thread so you can backspace it and try again

this is whatk illed emacs for me

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

WHOIS John Galt posted:

because without threads, i/o operations block

so... like, checking e-mail or something will freeze the UI until it's done

why wouldn't it just fork off a process for this

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Otto Skorzeny posted:

why wouldn't it just fork off a process for this

no idea, honestly.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

rotor posted:

no can do good buddy, I'm a happy drunk

I hear rotor is both handsome and a happy drunk. Want to hand with this dude

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

or hang or whatevs u are up for

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

:q:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

at my last job one dude spent like 80% of his time writing lisp to make the rest of the devs more efficient because they'd standardized on emacs. I dont really know if it was a net gain over that dude just writing code and everyone being slightly less efficient or what but i gotta say that watchin those dudes jump around in the code and refactor poo poo and what all was pretty cool, or at least about as cool at that sort of activity can be.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

rotor posted:

at my last job one dude spent like 80% of his time writing lisp to make the rest of the devs more efficient because they'd standardized on emacs. I dont really know if it was a net gain over that dude just writing code and everyone being slightly less efficient or what but i gotta say that watchin those dudes jump around in the code and refactor poo poo and what all was pretty cool, or at least about as cool at that sort of activity can be.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah there was some of that, but there was also a lot of domain specific stuff like creating new objects out of OIDs and polling devices in emacs and various data transforms and whatnot

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
I'm joking, refactoring in xcode is not actually as easy as choosing a menu item

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

what is this posted:

I'm joking, refactoring in xcode is not actually as easy as choosing a menu item

in java and intellij it p much is