Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Slayer1597 posted:

Sorry stumbled across Y the last man, while on Barnes and Noble there, anyone have a review of that?

It is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

bobkatt013 posted:

It is really good

Good enough for me, thank you!

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

It is really good

I've just finished the first deluxe volume of Y and can't wait to read more. Agreed too that the book itself is very well made. Having read the first 6 issues of Saga before this, Vaughan is good at creating very interesting deep characters and letting them breathe a bit as opposed to nonstop action. The story moves at a bit slower pace but it's not boring in any way.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I just reread the whole thing, and thought the first volume was the weakest. It is still good, but Vaughn's big flaw of using all characters for exposition and Op-Eding is really front and center. Once the setup is out of the way I enjoyed it a lot more.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

It seems that Incognito: The Classified Edition is out. Anyone picking this guy up? I was a real fan of Criminal and I'm thinking of picking it up.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Does B&N charge you right away for a pre-order, or when the order ships?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

obi_ant posted:

It seems that Incognito: The Classified Edition is out. Anyone picking this guy up? I was a real fan of Criminal and I'm thinking of picking it up.

Incognito is awesome, but it's more like Sleeper than Criminal.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

obi_ant posted:

I've got it already. If you're a fan of Brubaker I'd say get it without hesitation. My only major complaint was where it stopped. The first miniseries is reasonably self-contained but the second was building storylines. Even though it's main plot was complete it goes into was is clearly supposed to be the hook for the next one.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Nodoze posted:

Does B&N charge you right away for a pre-order, or when the order ships?
Barnes & Noble charges at the time of shipping, but they do one thing with shipping that annoys the anal-obsessive in me. If your order includes a pre-order among other items, B&N will stall the shipment until the pre-ordered item reaches its street date.

I know, I could just split up the order, especially as a B&N member, but their buy 2 get 1 deals often include pre-orders and I'd rather they took Amazon's lead and made things a bit more convenient on the mailing side of things.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Why are Marvel's Ultimate Collection tbp's so expensive? Unless the couple of trades they contain are out of print it always seems cheaper to buy those couple of trades separately.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Starsnostars posted:

Why are Marvel's Ultimate Collection tbp's so expensive? Unless the couple of trades they contain are out of print it always seems cheaper to buy those couple of trades separately.

Most of the time, they don't release the Ultimate Collection TPBs until the original shorter TPBs fall out of print. Sometimes you can still find OOP TPBs (and sometimes even at a discount), but other times they become rare and go for inflated prices on the secondary market. Warren Ellis' first Thunderbolts TPB, Faith in Monsters, was rare and expensive for a while, but seems to have leveled out since the Ultimate Collection with both of his volumes came out.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
It probably doesn't help that the specific example I'm looking at is The Ultimates which I suppose Marvel was never going to let the trades go OOP and get expensive in the year of The Avengers.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

They released that fat stack Ultimates Omnibus for you to grind your wallet on.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
West Coast Avengers Omnibus coming

http://www.amazon.com/Avengers-West-Coast-Omnibus/dp/0785167455

quote:

Earth's Mightiest Heroes head west! Hawkeye splits from the Avengers and sets up shop in California. But his newly recruited Avengers "franchise" team - including Tigra, Wonder Man, Mockingbird and an all-new Iron Man - soon find themselves in over their heads! Meanwhile, Ultron and the Grim Reaper target Wonder Man's "brother," the Vision...and his wife the Scarlet Witch! Can the West Coasters keep this complex bloodline from getting bloodier?

COLLECTING: West Coast Avengers (1984) 1-4; Iron Man Annual 7; Avengers (1963) 250; West Coast Avengers (1985) 1-16; Vision and the Scarlet Witch (1985) 1-2; Avengers Annual (1967) 15; West Coast Avengers Annual 1; material from Avengers (1963) 239, 243-244, 246; material from Avengers West Coast 100

Meh.

Also, an OSHC for The Twelve

https://www.amazon.com/Twelve-J-Michael-Straczynski/dp/0785127151

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Haha, I guess that'll have all the Master Pandemonium stuff in it, huh? That's going to be just amazing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shameless posted:

West Coast Avengers Omnibus coming

Okay, someone at Marvel is high on something. Probably multiple people since someone had to come up with the idea and someone else had to approve it.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
West Coast boyeeee! I'm getting Snoop Lion to autograph my copy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Oh really

X-Force Omnibus - Volume 1

http://www.amazon.com/X-Force-Omnibus-1-Rob-Liefeld/dp/0785165959/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347392451&sr=1-5

quote:

Beset from all sides by a growing roster of vicious foes, the New Mutants and their mysterious mentor Cable have no choice but to transform into a proactive, butt-kicking, take-no-prisoners mutant strike team! But can the new X-Force survive head-on clashes with Deadpool, the Morlocks, Proteus, Stryfe and his Mutant Liberation Front, the Juggernaut, the new Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, and...S.H.I.E.L.D.?

COLLECTING: New Mutants (1983) 98-100, Annual 7; X-Men Annual (1970) 15; X-Factor Annual 6; X-Force (1991) 1-15; Spider -Man (1990) 16; Cable: Blood & Metal 1-2; material from New War - riors Annual 1, X-Force Annual (1992)1

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Look, they already released a The Crossing Omnibus. They've already found the bottom.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Endless Mike posted:

Look, they already released a The Crossing Omnibus. They've already found the bottom.

Why can't they just reprint some of the good ones that are being sold on Amazon now for like $200+ :(

7billionanddying
Oct 30, 2011
Can anybody tell me the odds of all of the 'Judge Dredd: Complete Case Files' volumes eventually being released stateside and how long it might potentially take to catch up to where the UK is at with them?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

7billionanddying posted:

Can anybody tell me the odds of all of the 'Judge Dredd: Complete Case Files' volumes eventually being released stateside and how long it might potentially take to catch up to where the UK is at with them?

A very long time if ever. You should do I want have been doing and thats get them from amazon.co.uk

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

bobkatt013 posted:

A very long time if ever. You should do I want have been doing and thats get them from amazon.co.uk

BookDepository.com does free worldwide shipping.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
That said, all five of the US case files are marked down to 13 bucks on Amazon right now. I'm hoping some more come out once the movie hits, but I'm not sure how the whole IDW situation might affect them.

The contents of all the volumes are the same, however, so you can buy the US ones and then get the UK ones if they stop releasing them. The only reason not to is if you're really pedantic about the spines, but the spines for both sets are all hosed up anyway so it's not a big deal.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just found that some of the pages in the new Flash Omnibus 3 are reversed. The third to last and second to last page, to be exact. I wonder if DC is going to correct this...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Random Stranger posted:

I just found that some of the pages in the new Flash Omnibus 3 are reversed. The third to last and second to last page, to be exact. I wonder if DC is going to correct this...

Hahahaha. Oh you silly boy.

7billionanddying
Oct 30, 2011

Tato posted:

That said, all five of the US case files are marked down to 13 bucks on Amazon right now. I'm hoping some more come out once the movie hits, but I'm not sure how the whole IDW situation might affect them.

The contents of all the volumes are the same, however, so you can buy the US ones and then get the UK ones if they stop releasing them. The only reason not to is if you're really pedantic about the spines, but the spines for both sets are all hosed up anyway so it's not a big deal.

What's hosed up about the spines? And yeah I'll probably just start importing, I guess, just to keep everything consistent. Plus the UK covers are a little bit cooler anyway. Thanks for the info guys.

Edit:

Shameless posted:

BookDepository.com does free worldwide shipping.

This would've been really nice but it says they're out of stock of Volumes 1-4 right now. I'll keep checking back on there. I'll just eat the cost for the first few I think from Amazon.co.uk and then go back to bookdepository for the ones they have in stock.

7billionanddying fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 12, 2012

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

7billionanddying posted:

What's hosed up about the spines? And yeah I'll probably just start importing, I guess, just to keep everything consistent. Plus the UK covers are a little bit cooler anyway. Thanks for the info guys.

From a couple pages back

Tato posted:

The US volumes don't use the solid color scheme like on the fronts and backs of the UK editions. They're mostly white and feature different head shots of Judge Dredd on all the volumes (except for 3, which has Judge Death).

They do, however, maintain the bizarre spine design of the UK versions, where the volume numbers seem to go up and down at random. The US spines look just like these, they're just white with black text instead of the colors.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
FYI, Top Shelf is doing another $3 TPB sale (also featuring some things that cost less than $3 and some things that cost more).

Transformers fans are encouraged to check out Incredible Change-Bots.

7billionanddying
Oct 30, 2011

KingShiro posted:

From a couple pages back

Oh, Ok. I actually really like the way the spines look. It's not symmetrical but I think it has a pretty unified aesthetic about it.

What's the story with the 'America' arc not being included in the Case Files?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

7billionanddying posted:

Oh, Ok. I actually really like the way the spines look. It's not symmetrical but I think it has a pretty unified aesthetic about it.

What's the story with the 'America' arc not being included in the Case Files?

It just isn't no idea why not

Machine Gun
Aug 22, 2006

what a fucking nightmare

funtax posted:

FYI, Top Shelf is doing another $3 TPB sale (also featuring some things that cost less than $3 and some things that cost more).

Transformers fans are encouraged to check out Incredible Change-Bots.

Holy poo poo, AX is $3. Jump on that.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
This is the first Top Shelf sale where I have actually had a little bit of money to spend. I picked up The Underwater Welder, the new Kochalka diary book, and the first Pistolwhip.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
Is DC replacing the Archives or is it just something that's easy to put on sale?

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

ShortStack posted:

Is DC replacing the Archives or is it just something that's easy to put on sale?

Clearing out their warehouse. There are still new ones coming out such as Metal Men v. 2 in March or April.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Hard Time Vol. 2 is actually going to come out according to the December solicts which is crazy because I never thought that would happen. I can't wait to read what happens next.

Edit: Global Frequency sounds like it's crazy, too. January seems like an okay month for crazy trades and stuff.

Bitchin Kitchen fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 18, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC is shrink wrapping their hardcovers again! Hail Satan!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Edit: Global Frequency sounds like it's crazy, too. January seems like an okay month for crazy trades and stuff.
One of my favorite comics. I would love for Ellis to come back to this one day.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

redbackground posted:

One of my favorite comics. I would love for Ellis to come back to this one day.

Me too, and it's a drat shame the show was never picked up, as it was the perfect concept for action-packed episodic television.

I loved Ellis' too-short Secret Avengers run because it was all done-in-one, high-stakes storylines, like Global Frequency but with Steve Rogers, Sharon Carter, Black Widow, Beast, and Moon Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Boner
Jul 6, 2009
Is there any reason why Essential X-Men #9 is out of print? I just finished reading the first eight volumes and I don't want to skip it/don't want to pay the ridiculous prices I've seen on eBay.