Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I remember there was some fuss about that video when it was passed around the net last time. From what I remember the T3 had been deliberately weakened and had a lot of extra weight in the back to make a show clip for the facility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uykStESm3vw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Nope, it wasn't deliberately weakened, however it was an older, used model, so it probably had some rust. It's also not a Chinese copy, the Chinese never copied the T3 as far as I know.

What happened, at least according to a few write-ups I've seen on Germany T3 forums, is that this is was an internal video of the inaugural crash at a new crash test facility. They loaded a T3 up with cement (figures I've seen vary, but seem to be between 500kg and 1000kg) and then smacked it into a solid wall at 120kph.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

If you've never seen Australian road safety commercials, you might want to brace yourself. The TAC (Traffic Accident Commission) pulls no punches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4mvtNU32kQ

I had always sorta wanted a Kombi van until I saw this ad.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I remember they showed us Australian PSAs in drivers' ed. There were quite a few people who decided to give up on getting a drivers' license after watching that particular ad.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

I admittedly have terrible depth perception, but how does that door not clip the passenger's legs?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
poo poo happens. But that one was the driver's fault.

Sometimes mistakes get you killed. If you're going to teach people only one sentence to prepare them for driving, that's probably a good choice.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
My parents used to have a 66 Deluxe, and I drove it on a couple occasions, and to be honest, it was scary. When you could literally hang out the front window and knock on the rear window of other vehicles that says something about your safety(or lack thereof).

That being said, that commercial illustrates why I sleep until around midnight then drive the first leg of my trips at night while I'm fresh and make sure the sun is still up when I do start to get tired.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Viggen posted:

It took me twice to realize this was NOT a strange tailgate.

the windshield is actually the back glass from a station wagon, but I can't remember which one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's time for a picture dump.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I think I just peed a little.

[edit] Holy poo poo, is that a race-prepped Prius? :psyduck:

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

BlackMK4 posted:

It's time for a picture dump.

What do all of those levers and buttons do? And are those white hoses designed to cool the driver off?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, that's a prius :lol:

The red/blue levers adjust the sway bars and the tall black one is the sequential shifter... as for the buttons... :psyduck:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The steering wheel buttons are pretty standard. Bottom right is an ALS switch (yellow) and a water button (green) and the blue one above it is radio transmit. Looks like a pit/run switch above that (limit the speed to the pit lane max speed). Dunno about the rest.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

quote:

Super GT cars aren’t allowed to have electronically shifted gearboxes so cog selection in the BRZ’s Hewland sequential is done by hand via a conventional shift lever, which is why you don’t see paddles behind the steering wheel. The steering wheel is equipped with your usual switchgear as well as a small Motec digital display to relay important engine parameters to the drivers.

Other things we can observe is the switch panel and LCD screen, which acts as a rearview mirror, seeing there is no rear window to speak of.

The main Motec ADL3 display and data logger is something the drivers don’t need to worry about too much, so may probably glance over at it only a few times during a race. It’s more for the race engineers.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Celica GTO wins that list of cool cars.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Also, that is a V10 in an S15. :getin:

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

Holy poo poo. That video led me to watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlDS8SMWTf8

Which reminded me of what I did with my Fiat Seicento on a regular basis:

Good thing the little rattle box fell apart before it could kill me.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Plankalkuel posted:

You mean, kill yourself.

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Toned down for your pleasure

Plankalkuel posted:

Holy poo poo. That video led me to watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlDS8SMWTf8

Which reminded me of what I did with my Fiat Seicento on a regular basis:

Were you based in Switzerland? Those bastards stung me for a 40 Euro "motorway badge" two years in a row when I was passing through on my way to Chatel, France.

plecostomus fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 18, 2012

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

MiniFoo posted:

You mean, kill yourself.

Well, what I see in the video is at least manslaughter on part of the car, no matter how I drive :colbert:

plecostomus posted:

Were you based in Switzerland? Those bastards stung me for a 40 Euro "motorway badge" two years in a row when I was passing through on my way to Chatel, France.

No, but I have family there. Those stickers and a full tank cost as much as the car was worth back then, according to my insurance after someone failed to stop behind me at a red light. There was however no visible damage on the car and what little damage there was would've past inspection. Sadly lots of other stuff wouldn't :( That thing was quite good in taking low speed collisions without any visible traces. The advantage of Italian cars I guess.

As for driving in Switzerland, those 40Sfr stickers are the best part of driving there.

edit: To be topical, once you've arranged yourself with the low speed limits and copious amounts of speed cameras, Switzerland offers some nice driving experiences. The picture below was made at 2500m on the dam of a hydro plant. That was the first time, I got so far up a mountain. The dark red Mitsubishi Sigma is the successor of the deadly Fiat.

Plankalkuel fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 18, 2012

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Gorilla Salad posted:

If you've never seen Australian road safety commercials, you might want to brace yourself. The TAC (Traffic Accident Commission) pulls no punches.

Thus my fear of driving any sort of van where your legs are a part of the crumple zone.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Bang Me Please posted:

the windshield is actually the back glass from a station wagon, but I can't remember which one.

The truck is a '60s Dodge A100 pickup.
The front windshield and most of the roof is a '60 Ford wagon rear window/hatch.
The rear of the roof and rear window is from a '60 Ford sedan.

This guy is building a replica:
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=30254

I really dig the cut-down Olds Toronado steering wheel.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

MiniFoo posted:

I think I just peed a little.

[edit] Holy poo poo, is that a race-prepped Prius? :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5vvMFsqaXI&t=22s

Super GT commentary is hilarious even though I don't speak Japanese.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just moved two weeks ago, and it just so happens the street two blocks from me is pretty AI.

And for some reason, that same dude owns 5 of the same model Jetta.

I wish this was my block. My street has 5 priuses owned by only 2 different households(3 to one, 2 to the other).

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I took this the other day on the road to my folks' house.

Click for goddamn.

edit: a few others from that day.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 19, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cross Posting this from the Monster Truck thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFi85tMc1_Y

Bigfoot 18's Long Jump world record. The technology in the last 15 years of bigfoot trucks is far beyond the MonsterJam poo poo.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Do the tires make a squealing noise just like you're on pavement?

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

angryhampster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5vvMFsqaXI&t=22s

Super GT commentary is hilarious even though I don't speak Japanese.

Maybe it's just my gran turismo nostalgia but i've always loved the Calsonic skylines.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

AMG is joining the Australia V8 Supercars competition in 2013

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Mother of God! V8 Supercars is suddenly getting interesting in 2013.

tobu fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 19, 2012

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh drat, an E6350 V8SC? :flashfap:

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Uncle-in-law's V6 GN: :patriot:

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 19, 2012

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
gently caress me :stare:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

You Am I posted:

Thus my fear of driving any sort of van where your legs are a part of the crumple zone.

In Australia and New Zealand you can still buy a brand new L300/Express. There is simply no excuse for that, it wasn't even a safe design when it was released in the mid 80s

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gorilla Salad posted:

The truck driver is the perfect touch. He gets out, looks at the damage and just slumps. He knows there's no way anyone survived.

Herr FLSH
Feb 10, 2006

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I unironically want that black GT-:argh:

On the road safety stuff, hearing "speed kills" bleated by CHP / MADD / whomever really annoys me. I think "Mistakes while driving sometimes kill you" is the right mindset to approach driving with. Speed isn't the only thing to worry about, sometimes you're driving a Kombi, or one of these :v:

I didn't know they made them in RHD until today!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

jonathan posted:

Cross Posting this from the Monster Truck thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFi85tMc1_Y

Bigfoot 18's Long Jump world record. The technology in the last 15 years of bigfoot trucks is far beyond the MonsterJam poo poo.

Monster Truck thread?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Monster Truck thread?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482958

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Das Volk posted:

I unironically want that black GT-:argh:

On the road safety stuff, hearing "speed kills" bleated by CHP / MADD / whomever really annoys me. I think "Mistakes while driving sometimes kill you" is the right mindset to approach driving with. Speed isn't the only thing to worry about, sometimes you're driving a Kombi, or one of these :v:

I didn't know they made them in RHD until today!

It's worse than that, they hunt in packs!

ECAS 2CV Parts.com Championship by Bonnett, on Flickr