Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

OH GOD I AM IN A PUBLIC LOBBY RIGHT NOW THAT IS NOT FULL OF RETARDS

EDIT: and then my xbox hardlocked :goleft:

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Kilonum posted:

OH GOD I AM IN A PUBLIC LOBBY RIGHT NOW THAT IS NOT FULL OF RETARDS

EDIT: and then my xbox hardlocked :goleft:

Forza, thou art a cold, heartless bitch.

I've got my car prepared for GTCC's C-class vintage (pre-1975) roadster series.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

GhostDog posted:

While we're on the subject of tuning: I recently tried the tuning calculator to see if I can get a better base tune to work from and was surprised to see how low the sway bar settings were that came out of that thing. For cars around a ton of weight it proposes settings around 10, half of what Forza generally gives as a default. Does the calculator have the right idea?

You can always use the modifiers on the left hand side of the spreadsheet to tweak the settings to your liking and they all have tooltips to explain what does what.

But overall the default sway settings are way too stiff, god knows what measurement they are meant to be anyway.

Edit: Has anyone ever had their xbox hardlock after exiting a lobby and going back to the career mode? Because thats what happened to me last time. I noticed my paintjob wasnt showing up on the main screen and then bam hardlock.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This is Forza, it's perfectly normal for a situation like "I was doing a thing and then it hardlocked." I always thought it was because my xbox was dying, but then I got a new one and still had the same problem of Forza locking up at least once if I played for a couple hours.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
is that because our game pushes this ancient set of hardware harder than most games? cause that happened three times today to me.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

juche mane posted:

is that because our game pushes this ancient set of hardware harder than most games? cause that happened three times today to me.

I think it's something to do with memory problems involving loading paint schemes that they just can't seem to get rid of. It was a lot worse before the title update a few months back, though I've never had it happen anywhere expect in public lobbies.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

juche mane posted:

Both calcs that I tried seem to have those results. A spreadsheet one devised by some insane German guy, and also an iOS app that was a couple shekels.

Eventually I got over the 'weirdness' of the numbers though. It leads to cars that are much more manageable.

Where can i find the spreadsheet one? I've been getting nothing but dead links everywhere.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
They took it down a few months ago IIRC, in anticipation of a new one. There's a chance I have the old one kicking around my HDD though. Let me check.

edit: yup. Found it. How shall I send it to you? (And anybody else who wants it)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I'm thinking of picking up Forza 4 because I'm still playing 2 and Horizon looks like a completely different kind of game. Does anyone think this will still have a huge online following after Horizon comes out, or will everyone jump ship?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

juche mane posted:

They took it down a few months ago IIRC, in anticipation of a new one. There's a chance I have the old one kicking around my HDD though. Let me check.

edit: yup. Found it. How shall I send it to you? (And anybody else who wants it)

Put it up on Dropbox or Google Drive with a public link.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'm thinking of picking up Forza 4 because I'm still playing 2 and Horizon looks like a completely different kind of game. Does anyone think this will still have a huge online following after Horizon comes out, or will everyone jump ship?

The two game are pretty different. One is about strictly controlled circuit racing in finely tuned and prepped race cars, the goal being to shave tenths or hundredths of seconds off previous lap times, mastering the art of cornering, etc., and one is about chilling out and cruising around on the open road at your own pace in cool rides.

I doubt Forza 4's dedicated player base will go very far.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c2730b079joz7aq/FMTC-4.5%20APRL2012.xlsx

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

We talked about this in GTCC racing on wednesday, and the impression I got was that mostly everyone there at least will be playing Forza 4 until FM5 comes out. So you'll always have goons to race with once a week at least.

I don't know if I am going to buy Horizon yet. I want to know how truly big the game world is first.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 17, 2012

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I have a much more recent version, Use Excel 97 or 2003 or Open/LibreOffice

Through August car pack - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8814131/FMTC-4.6%20Excel%2097-2003.xls
September car pack only - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8814131/FMTC-4.6.09.12%20Excel%2097-2003.xls

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Kilonum posted:

Through August car pack - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8814131/FMTC-4.6%20Excel%2097-2003.xls
September car pack only - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8814131/FMTC-4.6.09.12%20Excel%2097-2003.xls
That's that poo poo I've been looking for :)

e: The guy who makes this calculator, Slave Munky, used to update it and post it to the forzamotorsport.net forums. After the April update, the updates stopped and when they came back he decided he wanted to charge a couple bucks for the download. This is a violation of X-Box's TOS, so they banned the thread from the forums. He's up and running on Facebook thought, under Forza Tuning Labs.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 17, 2012

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Oh they updated the calc to include the new DLC, that's pretty sweet.

Thanks for hosting/posting.

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy

DrPain posted:

Oh they updated the calc to include the new DLC, that's pretty sweet.

Thanks for hosting/posting.

but... how do you use it? There's more than just the input column on page 1- is there a how-to guide somewhere?

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

silverbullitt850 posted:

but... how do you use it? There's more than just the input column on page 1- is there a how-to guide somewhere?
Original Thread this appears to be the original thread for the tuner. it explains the basics of the thing. it's helped me and luminaflare build race cars and insane drag cars, so it's pretty versatile.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I use the tuning app on Android and it's pretty good for getting a a baseline tune that is at least drivable. I don't have time anymore to obsess over my setup. So it's nice to set and go with mild changes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Kilonum posted:

Through August car pack -

You probably shouldn't link that one as you have to pay for it.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

You probably shouldn't link that one as you have to pay for it.
I don't know if it makes a difference, but having to pay for that file is a direct violation of the TOS of XBox Live and the TOS for Forza, as posted by the mods in the official Forza forums.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

I still find it funny that the Warthog and Bentley 8-litre are listed in the tuning calc's car list. Unless Turn 10 actually did model proper suspensions for those and are just waiting to spring them on us as part of a final DLC pack... :tinfoil:

Okay, probably not. But I have to wonder why they're on the list if there's no actual in-game suspension data for them.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

SAEG had an open c-class set of races the other week, here are some shots before the carnage started:

Dr. Edmund Honda heads the field in his Corvette, with Fuzzie Murloc just behind in his Mazda MX-5.

Myself, PSBonnett was third in a badly damaged Austin-Healey Sprite, just look at the headlight misalignment! Guest driver Kilonum started fourth in his Renault 5 turbo.

On the third row we have Scatterfold in his Kia c-apostrophe-d just ahead of yes we nyan in her Mazda MX-5 Superlight.

On row four was Alex Earl Cash in his Renault Clio and TypicalGBS in a Toyota MR2.

Row 5 was headed up by MasterSchaf in a BMW 2002, with Jarf and his Smart Car just behind

Last but not least was iHaak in a Lancia Delta Integrale.

And one of the carnage

JingleBells fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 19, 2012

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

JingleBells posted:

On the third row we have Scatterfold in his Honda Civic just ahead of yes we nyan in her Mazda MX-5 Superlight.

it was a kia cee'd mate; possibly one of the worst decisions of my life

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Scatterfold posted:

it was a kia cee'd mate; possibly one of the worst decisions of my life

I disagree sir. That car kicks rear end if tuned well. It has a low top speed, but it should dominate on a track like Maple Valley.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

CaseFace McGee posted:

I disagree sir. That car kicks rear end if tuned well. It has a low top speed, but it should dominate on a track like Maple Valley.

it was alright really, i'm just being a big bitch baby; it did very well on the qualifier at Positano, but fell straight to the back at Road Atlanta - as you suggest; a nice drive, just not great for straights...

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I don't know if it makes a difference, but having to pay for that file is a direct violation of the TOS of XBox Live and the TOS for Forza, as posted by the mods in the official Forza forums.
I'd like to see that post by the mods (BTW I am totally not trying to be snarky or anything. No offense meant!)

This is SM's take on it. My personal opinion (which means nothing, granted) is that he's put a ton of hours into an awesome program that I use a *lot* and I think he deserves the $5. Especially if you use it as much as some of us do (it's awesome). I paid for it.

quote:

SlaveMunkey said:
FM.Net is notorious for the spread of irrelevant misinformation. My gamer tag serves no commercial purpose. I am not trading game services or in-game content for currency. This tuning calculator does not belong to the Forza franchise, the Forza community, Turn 10 Studios or Microsoft. They can take my words out of context all they want but it does not belong to anyone but the entity known as Forza Tuning Labs.

If tuning apps can be sold on the android and apple store, I should be entitled to be compensated for a product that actually works.

Thank you,

SM

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 19, 2012

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I'm pretty sure that nobody said anything about what he can or can't sell in general, just that he can not do it on the official forums of either Forza or XBox Live.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He's not selling it on those forums, his thread got removed. He's selling it on his own website and Kilonum linked it here, which is :filez:. I just decided not to hit the report button and said something instead.

VV You're right, he shouldn't sell it at all then.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 19, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dropping money on a tuner is pretty silly though. Obviously he's put a lot of work into it and he certainly has the right to charge money.. but tuning a car isn't all that hard. Once you use the older free versions of the spreadsheet to set up a few cars you should be able to spot the patterns. Before long you'll be able to get your cars 90% done just by adjusting a few sliders.

Then you take it out for a test drive and tweak for oversteer balance and tire temps.. and you're done. No fancy schmancy app required. :v:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I just use the old Forza Garage Forza III tuner. It works perfectly fine for my purposes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Strenots made me go into a full-on panic last night for the first time in this and probably any other racing game ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH_dYjwOj6M

That was not at all what I wanted to see coming at me after I rolled back over :tviv:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So I finally got Forza 4 and holy gently caress there's a lot of DLC for it. Seriously, how much is there?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
One DLC per month ever since release, as well as a Porsche expansion pack. (Though if you are only getting the Porsche pack for one car, make sure it isn't the classic race car. Cannot find server can fill you in as to why. )

Edit: Oh, and just a few tips. If it is still available, and you want a big chunk of DLC at a discount, get the Season pass. It gives you all of the DLC up until April.

Secondly, take the time, and download the free car from each pack. It downloads all of the cars to your game, though you won't be able to use any of them except the free one until you buy the pack. The reason you do this though is because the DLC cars you don't have will be replaced with black VW Jetta/boras if you don't. (And due to the difference in hitbox between them, they will really gently caress your cheerios online.)

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 21, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

jadebullet posted:

One DLC per month ever since release, as well as a Porsche expansion pack. (Though if you are only getting the Porsche pack for one car, make sure it isn't the classic race car. Cannot find server can fill you in as to why. )

Edit: Oh, and just a few tips. If it is still available, and you want a big chunk of DLC at a discount, get the Season pass. It gives you all of the DLC up until April.

Secondly, take the time, and download the free car from each pack. It downloads all of the cars to your game, though you won't be able to use any of them except the free one until you buy the pack. The reason you do this though is because the DLC cars you don't have will be replaced with black VW Jetta/boras if you don't. (And due to the difference in hitbox between them, they will really gently caress your cheerios online.)

Are you talking about the 550 spyder? I bought this pack just for that, and I'm perfectly satisfied.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I think he means the 962C, the R1 car that maxes out at like 970-something.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

ANAmal.net posted:

I think he means the 962C, the R1 car that maxes out at like 970-something.

That and before the pack came out cannotfindserver was going on and on, ad infinitum, about how there were too many 911s. Seriously,

Otherwise, the 962C isn't that bad, and during GTCC races we've discovered that even though it doesn't max out R1-998, it's pretty competitive on old Le Mans.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

YF19pilot posted:

That and before the pack came out cannotfindserver was going on and on, ad infinitum, about how there were too many 911s. Seriously,

Otherwise, the 962C isn't that bad, and during GTCC races we've discovered that even though it doesn't max out R1-998, it's pretty competitive on old Le Mans.

I love this pic

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I tend not to like A class M cars but in B they are easily some of my favorite cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They call it B class because it's the Best class.

Seriously, every single car is fun to drive in B. It's that point where you get a mountain of handling upgrades, but engine output hasn't grown to the point it makes the cars unwieldy. So it's nothing but fun driving.

• Locked thread