Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Really not seeing what's so bad about the artwork here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I adore Kaneko but some of the artists on that list have done some really cool artwork in other media. Keita Amemiya in particular doing SMT should lead to some really cool designs, if not ones that match up 1 for 1 with Kaneko's. It isn't like they got nobodies with no experience to do these designs.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Personally I was ready for a shakeup in the design department.

I'm more worried about the music but nothing that would stop me from buying the game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Hey, at least it's not Suzuhito Yasuda (Devil Survivor guy). Well, I know this is more about the demons, but still that needs to be said anyway.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Schubalts posted:

Really not seeing what's so bad about the artwork here.

Me neither it honestly looks fine.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Personally I was ready for a shakeup in the design department.

I'm more worried about the music but nothing that would stop me from buying the game.

The songs we've heard so far (admittedly only like 1-2) are pretty awesome though.

It seems the new guy joined at Persona 4, so he's definitely pretty new, which is surprising they're giving him a whole game to do music for.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

uiruki posted:

Yeah, your demons at least take big damage when you're all out of magnetite. I can't remember if the human characters do as well. I haven't played any games which were released earlier either, though I'm tempted by the PS1 ports now that they work on Vita.

On a related note, the manual is absolutely terrible, missing out things like status ailments. Since the ailments are quite different to other games in the genre, it's very unhelpful not to be able to look them up easily.

Here's a list of the status effects and what the do and how to heal them. It doesn't list the bad status attributes (揚 and 眠 are 精神-type, 毒 and 魅 are 魔力-type and 痺 and 爆 are 神経-type).

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

ImpAtom posted:

I adore Kaneko but some of the artists on that list have done some really cool artwork in other media. Keita Amemiya in particular doing SMT should lead to some really cool designs, if not ones that match up 1 for 1 with Kaneko's. It isn't like they got nobodies with no experience to do these designs.

It's more that Kaneko is definitively the father of SMT art design. Having a mainline game NOT done by him, and instead worked on by... Kamen Rider-type artists... just blows.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Azure_Horizon posted:

It's more that Kaneko is definitively the father of SMT art design. Having a mainline game NOT done by him, and instead worked on by... Kamen Rider-type artists... just blows.

I'm actually really okay with Toku artists working on it. I'd rather Kaneko handle it, but this is far from the worst option (and with Devil Survivor, they've used worse.)

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Nate RFB posted:

Hey, at least it's not Suzuhito Yasuda (Devil Survivor guy). Well, I know this is more about the demons, but still that needs to be said anyway.

God why does that man keep getting work? He's terrible and his characters are just slight variations of each other.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Neeksy posted:

God why does that man keep getting work? He's terrible and his characters are just slight variations of each other.

Yeah, that poo poo is hilarious. I saw the boxart to some digimon game for the PSP he did and all the characters look exactly like they were extras from DeSu 1 and 2

ninja edit:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah, that poo poo is hilarious. I saw the boxart to some digimon game for the PSP he did and all the characters look exactly like they were extras from DeSu 1 and 2

ninja edit:

That girl on the left could seriously pass for one of the attendants from Devil Survivor 2, easily.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Holy poo poo, their heads are all formed in the exact same way.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

ninja edit:

the girl in purple is totally Joe.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The guy in the middle is also literally the MC from DeSu1 but with a different hair shade and smiling.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

I, too, get really upset when games don't have the exact same staff for each sequel.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Cityinthesea posted:

the girl in purple is totally Joe.

Looks more like the Anguished One in drag.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

WrightOfWay posted:

I, too, get really upset when games don't have the exact same staff for each sequel.

When most of your sequels are done by the same design team, yeah. Kaneko's influence is widespread in the mainline series, the two can hardly be separated. At least, until now, sadly.

It's basically the same thing as what happened to the Silent Hill series.

Thankfully, the gameplay looks pretty nice -- at least until the SJ first-person 2D battle screens pop in.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 20, 2012

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Momomo posted:

Looks more like the Anguished One in drag.

the Anguished One with Joe's glasses maybe, I swear those are his exact same glasses.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I dunno, maybe Kaneko's taking a break. He's done some freelance work (some involving homoerotic comics :gay:) but he's been rumored to want to work on another SMT spin-off, so we might see him again in a year or two.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

El Belmondo posted:

I dunno, maybe Kaneko's taking a break. He's done some freelance work (some involving homoerotic comics :gay:)

Really? do you happen to know what its called because Kaneko's artstyle somehow trying to be sexy seems like it be a hilarious sight

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

King of Solomon posted:

That girl on the left could seriously pass for one of the attendants from Devil Survivor 2, easily.

Probably should've used that design for Devil Survivor 2, I'm sure she'd have been a more bearable attendant than what we got.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Probably should've used that design for Devil Survivor 2, I'm sure she'd have been a more bearable attendant than what we got.

If it means they completely rewrote her, then sure. Because jesus christ that one was annoying.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

That's what you get for not choosing the bland butler dude instead. :smug:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If Kaneko had passed the torch to someone with talent and a flair for the dramatic that flew in the face of modern anime designs that would be one thing, but uh...

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That's what you get for not choosing the bland butler dude instead. :smug:

I did choose the butler for my first run. I just decided to see what the deal was with her for my second runthrough. This was a mistake.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Samurai Sanders posted:

If Kaneko had passed the torch to someone with talent and a flair for the dramatic that flew in the face of modern anime designs that would be one thing, but uh...

Miyako Kato from the Shadow Hearts series and whoever did the monster designs there would have been absolutely perfect to fill in for Kaneko.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

King of Solomon posted:

I did choose the butler for my first run. I just decided to see what the deal was with her for my second runthrough. This was a mistake.

I'm one of the dumb few who chose her for my first playthrough. The first time she oepned her mouth I never asked her for a review of what happened at the end of a day because I was pretty much done dealing with her after that. I chose the bland butler for my second playthrough onwards and never looked back.

AmadeusVonBlastoise
Jul 4, 2008

AMADEUS AMADEUS
~DO~DO~
~DO~DO~

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'm one of the dumb few who chose her for my first playthrough. The first time she oepned her mouth I never asked her for a review of what happened at the end of a day because I was pretty much done dealing with her after that. I chose the bland butler for my second playthrough onwards and never looked back.

Her only redeeming quality was calling one of the Serptentriones a douchebag.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

This is a pretty dumb comment.

Yes, several of the artists worked on Kamen Rider. They do not work exclusively on Kamen Rider. Kaneko's done designs for Super Robot Wars and Zone of the Enders, would you refer to him as a mecha designer? Keita Amemiya is a really talented artist, and writing him off that way is pretty dumb. Shockingly, a Japanese franchise which has a high demand for weird and memorable monsters will hire a lot of artists who work on weird monsters. Referring to them as "Kamen Rider-type artists" just shows pretty blazing ignorance considering even Kaneko advised on (although didn't do the designs for IIRC) Kamen Rider Hibiki.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 20, 2012

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, several of the artists worked on Kamen Rider. They do not work exclusively on Kamen Rider. Kaneko's done designs for Super Robot Wars and Zone of the Enders, would you refer to him as a mecha designer?

But don't you understand? Kamen Rider is one step removed from anime!

Can't wait to see the monster designs on their own. The character designs are eh except for the main guy's hair. That front v thing is really weird.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, several of the artists worked on Kamen Rider. They do not work exclusively on Kamen Rider. Kaneko's done designs for Super Robot Wars and Zone of the Enders, would you refer to him as a mecha designer? Keita Amemiya is a really talented artist, and writing him off that way is pretty dumb.

I don't think designs such as his fit with the SMT aesthetic in a way that Kaneko's does, and it looks incredibly jarring. He may be talented, but it doesn't fit with anything that the mainline games are going for. Just compare something like the Fiends from Nocturne to... what we've seen so far. They look like suits people would climb into for mecha, rather than demonic entities or mythological spirits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

I don't think designs such as his fit with the SMT aesthetic in a way that Kaneko's does, and it looks incredibly jarring. He may be talented, but it doesn't fit with anything that the mainline games are going for. Just compare something like the Fiends from Nocturne to... what we've seen so far. They look like suits people would climb into for mecha, rather than demonic entities or mythological spirits.

They are certainly a different kind of design but that's pretty silly. I'm pretty sure you saw the words "Kamen Rider' and formed your opinion without knowing anything else about the artists or what they worked on. Keita Amemiya worked on GARO, which alone should give him more than enough credit for a SMT game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 20, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

ImpAtom posted:

They are certainly a different kind of design but that's pretty silly. I'm pretty sure you saw the words "Kamen Rider' and formed you opinion without knowing anything else about the artists or what they worked on.

I'm not unfamiliar with the artists and what they have worked on, and I formed my opinion based off the fact that we've gone from absolutely mindblowing art design in Nocturne to who knows what with this game. However, I'm willing to see if they have anything truly impressive to show as the game is further along in development. At this point, it looks more like SNES-era monster design rather than what we've gotten so far in the series.

As far as the main guy's weird hairdo, it reminds me of Serph from DDS.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
People are getting way to worked up about 5 new designs in a game that will have hundreds of different demons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'm not unfamiliar with the artists and what they have worked on, and I formed my opinion based off the fact that we've gone from absolutely mindblowing art design in Nocturne to who knows what with this game. However, I'm willing to see if they have anything truly impressive to show as the game is further along in development.

As far as the main guy's weird hairdo, it reminds me of Serph from DDS.

You disparagingly referred to them as "Kamen Rider-type artists" which makes it pretty clear you don't have an actual idea about them beyond what was posted in the original post.

Hell, even Kaneko has worked on Kamen Rider shows. (Although only in an advisory capacity IIRC, not actual designs.) It is a long-running franchise which has a high demand for weird monster designs, thus they get a lot of artists who are good at weird memorable monster designs on work on the show.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 20, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

dude789 posted:

People are getting way to worked up about 5 new designs in a game that will have hundreds of different demons.
People are also getting worked up because the other demons seem to be a copypaste from Strange Journey.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Samurai Sanders posted:

People are also getting worked up because the other demons seem to be a copypaste from Strange Journey.

Every SMT game does this though. Nocturne used designs from the older games and SJ reused designs from Nocturne too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Samurai Sanders posted:

And pretty much all the PS2 games are copypaste from Nocturne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
But usually sprite-based games are pasted into other sprite base games and vice versa, right? This appears to be sprites pasted into an otherwise not sprite based game.