Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
I'm currently trying to decide between Notre Dame and Illinois for an MBA, mostly because I am from Chicago and want to work there. I took the GRE and did very well
( 750 "equivalent", but I'm not sure how strictly MBA programs go by ETS' scale), so I don't think I want to roll the dice on taking the GMAT, meaning that I'm limited in terms of programs I can choose.

Is anyone familiar with how these schools are viewed in Chicago? Illinois is ranked lower but would be much cheaper because I'm a resident. I'm just curious as to how much the rankings actually matter for regional students who want to stay in the Midwest long term.

I'm also applying to Michigan and Northwestern as reach schools (no quant in undergrad, low cumulative GPA), but I'd like to know if there's a huge difference b/w UIUC and Mendoza for somebody who is not interested in I-Banking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
I think my score will be enough to get in. My coworker just told me he scored less than me by a fair margin and the dean of the college admitted him based on his application package (résumé, etc). We have extremely similar backgrounds, but my undergrad was a better-ranked school and I ran a small business to pay my way. USC tuition...

Small White Dragon, I'd have preferred UCLA to be honest :) heck, a move to LA may be in my immediate future, I may study like hell and retest to try applying to UCLA for the 2013 fall semester if I don't get UNR. Scandalous I know!!!

Drewski fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 9, 2012

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I have a degree in chemistry and an amazing job right now but I want to plan for the future and get out of the lab. I'm interested in getting my MBA in marketing or possibly finance. Ideally I would like to remain at my company and transition into a marketing position after I graduate.

I'm looking at the evening Foster MBA program at UW since it's close to where I live and work. Are part-time programs frowned upon? Also, what is a good GMAT prep course? I've seen Manhattan mentioned a couple of times in this thread. I know you don't really need a class but I've been out of school for awhile and need something to keep me focused on studying for the test.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I used Testmasters and really liked their test prep when I took the GMATs.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

BLaH247 posted:

I know some top tier schools that have waived the GMAT requirements based on the students current job. My Senior Vice President didn't need to sit for the GMAT to get into Georgetown's Full-time MBA program. I think they factored in that he runs a P&L of $300M and has around 600 staff in his org. The knowledge and experience that someone like this will bring into the classrooms is a huge benefit.

I find this really funny for some reason, just thinking of being young guy with a few years work experience sitting next to a guy like that on day 1. "So, you have more staff members than I have working weeks in my career" "thats...neat"

They could just let him guest lecture for an afternoon.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Xguard86 posted:

I find this really funny for some reason, just thinking of being young guy with a few years work experience sitting next to a guy like that on day 1. "So, you have more staff members than I have working weeks in my career" "thats...neat"

They could just let him guest lecture for an afternoon.

And you probably offer something to him in the form of explaining "what are these twitters and facebooks everyone is talking about?" and maybe explaining that he doesn't need to add more RAM to his computer every time something crashes.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone have any experience with the World Education Service and the CDGDC, in particular the way MBA programmes work with the WES and how CDGDC operates?

Also, can MBA programmes see if an applicant has applied to other schools, and whether the schools have accepted/denied them? If so, how come every MBA applicant seems to tell each school that they've really got their heart set on that particular school and not the others? Is there some sort of nation-wide MBA programme body for the institutions to all discuss the pool of applicants and students, or is each school an island?

blueapple
Mar 5, 2009
Want some advice on b-school admissions as I'm coming from a non-traditional background.

• In HS: became bored/disinterested, didn’t see value in education, got GED at the end of ‘senior’ year or else I’d have to repeat my senior year due to all the classes I was failing
  • Took SATs for the hell of it and scored in the low 1400s
  • Started working for a well-regarded retail company (think Whole Foods, Apple, Nordstrom type companies) at checkout/cashier after receiving GED
  • Moved up to Supervisor and then Assistant Team Leader
  • Promoted to Team Leader for all retail/customer service aspects at that location (one of the top locations in company) at 20 years old
  • Was in position for last 4 years – lead team of over 100 with annual sales of $85MM+
  • Oversaw all aspects of team: had hire/fire decisions, developed community outreach programs, training programs, dealt with financial and legal teams, contracts etc
  • Left last summer to go back to school as I knew this wasn’t my future
  • Racked up 65 credits at community college in 14 months with 4.0 GPA with plans to transfer
  • Looking to transfer to a local school (George Mason, American, George Washington) in Spring ‘13 for a BA in Political Science (want to stay local and Georgetown doesn’t accept spring transfers)

My question: If I want to go into consulting or corporate world (non-finance side), is my pre-college work experience enough for a top 30 school? – would target Georgetown to stay in DC area. I'm thinking not, but I want to check. (Assumption: GMAT would be high 600's)

blueapple fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 29, 2012

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
I've been accepted to the UNR online EMBA program :) If anyone's interested I'll give updates as I go through the course.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

blueapple posted:

Want some advice on b-school admissions as I'm coming from a non-traditional background.

• In HS: became bored/disinterested, didn’t see value in education, got GED at the end of ‘senior’ year or else I’d have to repeat my senior year due to all the classes I was failing
  • Took SATs for the hell of it and scored in the low 1400s
  • Started working for a well-regarded retail company (think Whole Foods, Apple, Nordstrom type companies) at checkout/cashier after receiving GED
  • Moved up to Supervisor and then Assistant Team Leader
  • Promoted to Team Leader for all retail/customer service aspects at that location (one of the top locations in company) at 20 years old
  • Was in position for last 4 years – lead team of over 100 with annual sales of $85MM+
  • Oversaw all aspects of team: had hire/fire decisions, developed community outreach programs, training programs, dealt with financial and legal teams, contracts etc
  • Left last summer to go back to school as I knew this wasn’t my future
  • Racked up 65 credits at community college in 14 months with 4.0 GPA with plans to transfer
  • Looking to transfer to a local school (George Mason, American, George Washington) in Spring ‘13 for a BA in Political Science (want to stay local and Georgetown doesn’t accept spring transfers)

My question: If I want to go into consulting or corporate world (non-finance side), is my pre-college work experience enough for a top 30 school? – would target Georgetown to stay in DC area. I'm thinking not, but I want to check. (Assumption: GMAT would be high 600's)

I was going to PM you but it looks like you don't have those. I don't think your background will be a problem at all if you get a good GMAT.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Hello. I'll be applying to Texas for Fall 2013. Planning on attending this Kaplan event, and I was wondering, what's the acceptable dress code?

How much time should I spend attending these admissions events? I'm a Texas resident temporarily in DC, so it's no major time issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if the breakout sessions and the info end up being the same at all of them.

purpleandgold
Apr 13, 2012
Out of curiosity, what good would an MBA do me with an undergrad degree in geology? I'm interested in the management side of the energy industry.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
First week of my MBA term done. I now know why people call it "drinking from a firehose." So glad it's Friday.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

purpleandgold posted:

Out of curiosity, what good would an MBA do me with an undergrad degree in geology? I'm interested in the management side of the energy industry.

What does your post-undergrad work experience look like?

From my experience, those with science/engineering degrees tend to receive great offers.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I've decided to pursue an MBA in parallel to searching for a career now that app season is coming up. I'd been searching since March for a career in writing, editing, creative management of sorts and nothing has panned out quite as yet, so I'm considering the MBA as a way to boost my skill set, get me back in touch with networks, open my ability to take internships with larger companies, and add some prestige factor to my resumes.

I am looking at USC and UCLA as my top choices, with CSU Long Beach as my fall back.

I'm currently prepping myself for the GMAT, and I've already taken the GRE and got a 1480. USC only requires GRE but UCLA requires the GMAT. Hopefully, I'll be able to do better on the GMAT than I did on the GRE. The questions I'm taking seem easier? I dunno, I'm intending on taking the GMAT in mid October so I can get in on the first wave of applications for schools. I feel like an entire month of studying for the GMAT will be sufficient for me.

The tracks I'm looking at for UCLA are specializing in Entertainment Marketing, Entertainment Law, Entertainment Business Models and Social Entrepreneurship, Management in Public and Private Nonprofit Sectors, Green Energy Entrepreneurship which are the Entertainment and Sustainability specialization tracks.

At USC I'd focus on Marketing or Management Communication.

For CSULB I'd focus on Marketing, but take the "working" track of night classes while working simultaneously. I'd do this because I live in Long Beach, and if I can work at the same time as do the MBA program then I will.

So I guess here are my questions:

Am I going about this the right way?

UCLA takes 10% of their applicants. USC takes about 28% according to the class makeups they publish. Average GMAT for UCLA is 705. Each school will probably cost me 80k+ a year, sans any kind of scholarships or funding.

My post-graduate work, I've been an office manager for 5 years total now, however 4 of those were during my undergraduate degree. I also freelance for a local paper. I got a degree in journalism and creative writing, so I'm confident in my essay writing abilities.

How likely am I to get in, and if I do, how likely am I to get funding?

I'm pursuing an MBA because while I would love to write for a living, my experience and skill set also lend me to doing management in creative environments, which I'd be totally down for. I believe I would be a good project manager in places like Fox, Warner Bros, or any other entertainment giant here in LA. I want the MBA to push me to the top of the heap, to be noticed, expand my abilities and to connect with a bigger network than my previous state school education (CSULB) allowed me to.

I'm most concerned about taking on a heaping of debt, and not being any better off for it. I'm not intimidated by work load (I did full time job, full time school and worked at two different student newspapers during my undergraduate), I'm still young enough to pull all nighters and I have no dependents. Is an MBA a good idea for me?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I can talk a little bit about UCLA's program and admissions, PM me if you want to discuss specifics.

Noah posted:

I'm currently prepping myself for the GMAT, and I've already taken the GRE and got a 1480. USC only requires GRE but UCLA requires the GMAT. Hopefully, I'll be able to do better on the GMAT than I did on the GRE. The questions I'm taking seem easier? I dunno, I'm intending on taking the GMAT in mid October so I can get in on the first wave of applications for schools. I feel like an entire month of studying for the GMAT will be sufficient for me.
I took both the GRE and the GMAT, albeit several years apart. My experience was that the GMAT had harder math sections but easier language sections, at least for me. (As a specific example, the GRE was more focused on vocabulary while the GMAT focused instead on grammar.)

Noah posted:

UCLA takes 10% of their applicants. USC takes about 28% according to the class makeups they publish. Average GMAT for UCLA is 705.
A good GMAT won't get you into UCLA, but a bad GMAT can keep you out.

Noah posted:

How likely am I to get in, and if I do, how likely am I to get funding?
I can't say for certain on your chances, although I would personally advise you trim down your list of specializations. In any case, to my knowledge, funding is very unusual.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Can anyone tell me a little about Dartmouth Tuck and its reputation in the North American market? Even better if you're an alumni. Trying to narrow the application list down and I was impressed by the culture and the uniqueness the location confers, would be great to hear some unbiased opinions though.

For reference, I'm an international applicant with a solid 6 yrs of work experience in a variety of roles of at a top 3 consumer goods company and a 700 in the GMAT.

BlessedBullet
Aug 18, 2007
How appropriate, you fight like a cow.
Tuck is a Top 10 school. Getting in is the closest thing to a free ticket to anywhere you want work.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I'm studying for the GMAT right now, it's in 3 weeks, and I think I'm making decent headway. Is there any particular advice someone has? I'm just going chapter by chapter through the Kaplan book, and I'll be taking a practice test in a couple of days, followed by more review, and a test, and so on and so forth until the day or two before test day where I'll slow it down a bit.

I'm loving the fact that I'm not gonna get screwed on a question by vocab words I didn't encounter studying, like on the GRE. This is making studying more streamlined, and less flash-cardy.

Pookerbacca
Jan 18, 2012

Love United

Noah posted:

I'm studying for the GMAT right now, it's in 3 weeks, and I think I'm making decent headway. Is there any particular advice someone has? I'm just going chapter by chapter through the Kaplan book, and I'll be taking a practice test in a couple of days, followed by more review, and a test, and so on and so forth until the day or two before test day where I'll slow it down a bit.

The best advice I can give you (presuming you have completed review of the syllabus) is just doing practice test day after day in the 2/3 weeks leading to the real thing (the post mortem review of your mistakes is important, so don't give it the short shrift). Mae sure you do it under "exam conditions", use a stop-watch and all and be strict with yourself.

You can really "train" yourself like an athelete to write these things, where you are almost answering things unconsciuosly (recognizing patterns etc). You will get to the stage where you will be consistently getting the same scores in the practice and the real thing will end up feeling like another practice and your score will be predictable!

Disgruntled Dan
Aug 3, 2004
Lurker Extraordinaire

Noah posted:

I'm loving the fact that I'm not gonna get screwed on a question by vocab words I didn't encounter studying, like on the GRE. This is making studying more streamlined, and less flash-cardy.

The thing that helped me the most was figuring out which bin my quant questions were going to come from and studying at that level of difficulty. Don't study questions that are too easy and you are already quickly getting right 95-98% of the time. That is, if you can do the easy/medium questions in under 2:00 or whatever, but you get asked all hard questions and they take you 3:30, you'll be hurting for time. If I had to do it over again, that's where I'd spend most of my time since I was shorter on time in that section than I'd have preferred. I was also much weaker on quant than verbal, so that influenced which part I spent most of my time studying.

That, and save one of those CAT tests that came with registering for 4-5 days before the exam. Mine were each within 20 pts of my actual score and you can use it to make last-minute adjustments for your remaining study time.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I'll second Pookerbacca's advice. Take the practice tests again and again, and each time, analyze what you got wrong and try to work on those items.

Disgruntled Dan posted:

The thing that helped me the most was figuring out which bin my quant questions were going to come from and studying at that level of difficulty. Don't study questions that are too easy and you are already quickly getting right 95-98% of the time. That is, if you can do the easy/medium questions in under 2:00 or whatever, but you get asked all hard questions and they take you 3:30, you'll be hurting for time. If I had to do it over again, that's where I'd spend most of my time since I was shorter on time in that section than I'd have preferred. I was also much weaker on quant than verbal, so that influenced which part I spent most of my time studying.

That, and save one of those CAT tests that came with registering for 4-5 days before the exam. Mine were each within 20 pts of my actual score and you can use it to make last-minute adjustments for your remaining study time.
I think the practice tests they sent me weren't actually "adaptive?"

But this is one thing that killed me on the actual test -- I took practice tests, both on computer and on paper, but none of them are adapative. On the real exam, the quant section started throwing stuff at me that took a really long time to solve. :argh:

BRB MAKIN BACON
Mar 22, 2007

I am Tuxedo Mask.
Russell Wilson, look into your heart and find the warrior within.
It is your destiny.

~:Seattle Seahawks:~
I am attempting to decide between a Masters of Urban Planning or a dual degree MBA/MURP at UCLA among other places. I want to focus on environmental issues in sustainable land development as a project manager. Responsibilities would include acquisition, planning, consulting, design and possibly management for a certain time. I want to focus on sustainable commercial pursuits. With a super long term goal of creating/operating/managing/owning(?) alternative energy institutions (very interested in wind, tidal and thermal solar power). I also want to at least attain 6-figure compensation. UCLA has a top 10 Urban Planning Program that I am applying to, and it seems like having the dual mba would greatly behoove my efforts.

Does anybody have experience with dual program admissions? Specifically, if I get into the urban planning program, but not the business, will the planning school still accept me if my application stated a dual degree intent? I've emailed the schools but have yet to receive a response.

I have a 3.2 undergrad gpa in political science, but there's a clear upward trend in the last three quarters of my education. My last four poli sci classes garnered scores of 3.6, 3.6, 3.8, 3.8. And I'm confident they would have been higher were it not for the fact that two of the courses had finals on the same day seperated by 10 minutes. I also have been working at a fairly prestigious and rigorous job at an important area of a massive hospital. Unfortunately that is not related to the field of urban planning.

I'm not sure what to do, I'm 24 and I want to earn more than 80k in a career on sustainable land development and hopefully at some point alternative energy.

Most of the advice I've gotten is that planning will obviously be more tailored to my skillset but the mba will offer a wider access to careers as well as facilitate upward movement to my dream position (and compensation).

I was going to school for just urban planning this fall, but due to health emergencies and surgeries I will be reapplying for schools in the fall 2013 semester. However there are two schools which offer the opportunity to do attend starting in January 2013, which is tempting because I'd finish at age 26 instead of the mba+planning which I'd finish at 28.

I'm just trying to figure out the best plan to reach my goals.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

BRB MAKIN BACON posted:

I want to focus on environmental issues in sustainable land development as a project manager.

With a super long term goal of creating/operating/managing/owning(?) alternative energy institutions

I also want to at least attain 6-figure compensation.

I have a 3.2 undergrad gpa in political science

I'm 24 and I want to earn more than 80k in a career on sustainable land development

Are you trolling

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
That seems like a completely reasonable situation to be able to find yourself in California. Am I missing something?

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Is bringing up your scores in interviews frowned upon? I want to emphasize my high quant score and the fact that I haven't taken any math since high school (I'm 32), as a way of showing that I am an old dog who can, in fact, learn new tricks.

Pookerbacca
Jan 18, 2012

Love United

menino posted:

Is bringing up your scores in interviews frowned upon? I want to emphasize my high quant score and the fact that I haven't taken any math since high school (I'm 32), as a way of showing that I am an old dog who can, in fact, learn new tricks.

They already know your high quant score, probably one of the reasons you have an interview. Since you are an "old dog" who is outside the sweetspot 27 year age, focus on how your old dog status will bring something different and value addedd to the homogenous 27 year olds that will dominate your class.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Pookerbacca posted:

They already know your high quant score, probably one of the reasons you have an interview. Since you are an "old dog" who is outside the sweetspot 27 year age, focus on how your old dog status will bring something different and value addedd to the homogenous 27 year olds that will dominate your class.
It likely varies from university to university, but at UCLA, most interviews are done by current students or alumni. I'm pretty sure they aren't given all those details.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

BRB MAKIN BACON posted:

I am attempting to decide between a Masters of Urban Planning or a dual degree MBA/MURP at UCLA among other places

Without knowing anything beyond you being 24 and a 3.2 undergrad in poli sci, I don't think you are likely to get into either UCLA MURP or Anderson. I understand that you have desires but I'm not seeing the great work experience and/or coursework that would get you into two top top schools.

FWIW, that does sound like a pretty cool plan though. I'm thinking of taking MURP classes through UC Extension but 9a classes kind of suck for working people!

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

Mandalay posted:

Without knowing anything beyond you being 24 and a 3.2 undergrad in poli sci, I don't think you are likely to get into either UCLA MURP or Anderson. I understand that you have desires but I'm not seeing the great work experience and/or coursework that would get you into two top top schools.

FWIW, that does sound like a pretty cool plan though. I'm thinking of taking MURP classes through UC Extension but 9a classes kind of suck for working people!

Is a GPA really going to gently caress someone that bad? Isn't more credence devoted to GMAT, essay, letters of recommendation, and a good resume? That GPA isn't god awful, and fits in line with the average that UCLA is reporting for their admissions info.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Noah posted:

Is a GPA really going to gently caress someone that bad? Isn't more credence devoted to GMAT, essay, letters of recommendation, and a good resume? That GPA isn't god awful, and fits in line with the average that UCLA is reporting for their admissions info.

Well, that's why my comment started with "without knowing anything beyond..." ;)

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Oh sorry, haha. I guess I just misinterpreted what you meant due to my own bias. My GPA isn't amazing due to a really bad first year, where I dropped out for two years and then came back with a vengeance hitting consistently 3.75+ every semester, but even with that it's hard to pull up a couple of F's, so my cumulative GPA looks around 3.4.

Pookerbacca
Jan 18, 2012

Love United

Small White Dragon posted:

It likely varies from university to university, but at UCLA, most interviews are done by current students or alumni. I'm pretty sure they aren't given all those details.

Yes, that makes sense in those cases, my comment was applies more if you are interviewing with admissions officers.

On that point, I think interviews with students and alumni are to be avoided at all costs (if you have the option of meeting with someone from admissions instead). Alumni/students are a wild card - you might hit it off extremely well or you might catch someone on a bad day - these people are doing it on their spare time, so you can't count on them being consistent.

The admissions officers do this for a living and the experience on average is going to be more even keel, I believe. Even if it requires travel compared to the convenience of meeting local alumni, I would take that option if it was a school I was really desperate to get into.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Pookerbacca posted:

Yes, that makes sense in those cases, my comment was applies more if you are interviewing with admissions officers.

On that point, I think interviews with students and alumni are to be avoided at all costs (if you have the option of meeting with someone from admissions instead). Alumni/students are a wild card - you might hit it off extremely well or you might catch someone on a bad day - these people are doing it on their spare time, so you can't count on them being consistent.

The admissions officers do this for a living and the experience on average is going to be more even keel, I believe. Even if it requires travel compared to the convenience of meeting local alumni, I would take that option if it was a school I was really desperate to get into.
In my case, I went to an interview on-campus at UCLA, and it was conducted by a current student. IIRC, it may be students and alumni only here.

EDIT: But yes, if you can go, I agree that an on-campus interview is best.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 21, 2012

Pookerbacca
Jan 18, 2012

Love United

In my case, I went to an interview on-campus at UCLA, and it was conducted by a current student. IIRC, it may be students and alumni only here.

EDIT: But yes, if you can go, I agree that an on-campus interview is best.

In some ways, I think being interviewed by a student or recent alumni might set the bar higher for you. They may be closer to being your peer, but I don't think that makes them more empathetic than and admissions officer. Strange, but familiarity can breed contempt I think. Admissions officers are more likely to buy into your dream of "changing the world" etc, whereas the student/alumni might be a bit more jaded.

Oliax
Aug 19, 2011

Bavaro-Mancunian
Friendship Society

Pookerbacca posted:

In some ways, I think being interviewed by a student or recent alumni might set the bar higher for you. They may be closer to being your peer, but I don't think that makes them more empathetic than and admissions officer. Strange, but familiarity can breed contempt I think. Admissions officers are more likely to buy into your dream of "changing the world" etc, whereas the student/alumni might be a bit more jaded.

I would concur 100%. If you have any kind of choice, go for the admission officer over the alum/current student. Aside from the variability you will inevitably encounter from the part-time interviewer, they will by default be comparing you to the people they went to school with, rather than the broad swath of folks that actually apply. That will by definition be a harder comparison for you.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

menino posted:

But the GMAT only covers high school math so wouldn't it just be an old dog who can remember old tricks?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Vomik posted:

But the GMAT only covers high school math so wouldn't it just be an old dog who can remember old tricks?
Really?

I thought the GMAT math was much harder than the GRE's.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Really?

I thought the GMAT math was much harder than the GRE's.

It is, but the vast majority of the skills required are covered in a typical high school curriculum.

The difficulty lies in interpreting questions and choosing the most efficient method to solve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Christ, I don't know what it is, but I feel so much more careless when it comes to reading the details of questions. Like missing a question on a practice test because I thought it was dealing with percentages instead of raw numbers.

I understand that I should just read the questions more thoroughly, and I hope I can pull it together in the next 2 weeks. Just tired of thinking I understand the question, and then getting it wrong because I'm an idiot.

Also, basic math is just eluding me sometimes on these practices. 54+8=72, SURE THAT SOUNDS GOOD.