Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
That year CBR definitely won't have a hydraulic clutch so he's fine. If interested the newer CBR1k's have a hydraulic setup you might be able to steal but really any setup will work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

clutchpuck posted:

Did you lube the cable? FWIW it's going to be a heavy pull if you're direct-cable-connected to something designed to be pulled hydraulically.

That model definitely doesn't have a hydralic clutch, only the 1000s did in the generation. I'm going to lube it next time I'm in, but it feels less like friction and more like the clutch springs are too heavy or something, because it isn't just hard to pull, it's hard to keep engaged.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 18, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If it pulls smooth a lube probably won't help, but it certainly can't hurt.

Another thing to look at is the lever's... leverage. They make some levers that are easy 1-finger pull for stunting. I assume there are options, but here is the first from a google search http://www.righteousstuntmetal.com/

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
Dissenting view here. If it's a 2nd year team, and your budget is low, I say forget about making an electro mechanical quick shifter. Just make mechanical connections to the clutch and shift lever. If you want quick shifting, rig up your mechanical shifter with a strain gauge attached to a circuit that reads when you're pressing it to shift up and cuts the ignition. You do not want a complex shifting mechanism as a failure point. Get your car up and running with as simple of systems as possible, get it reliable, start testing and breaking things, fix the things that break. Then, and only then, start thinking about adding complexity.

Forget what your "senior members" think about purchasing systems. They are wrong and their extra year or two of experience is still nothing in absolute terms.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
That's probably the most logical route, I'll have to convince Mr. Paddle-shift that a complementary clutch system wouldn't work out. Good news is that all of last years drivers graduated, so convincing the new ones to use a sequential shifter won't be very difficult.

The budget thing is the biggest wall, otherwise I'd be (along with most of the others) 100% up for finagling something more complex. For reference, we just barely have enough to register for the competition this year.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah, if you guys are anything like my buddy's team it'll be a challenge enough just getting the thing done.

Club Sandwich
May 25, 2012
Let me start of this post by saying that I have very little experience with motorcycles, but I have recently fallen in love with older style "scrambler" bikes like the Honda CL 100 and think it might finally be time to save up and invest in a bike of my own. I was wondering if older bikes like the Honda are good for learning on, and if so what are some other good models similar in style to the old CLs? Thanks in advance, and sorry about my lack of knowledge. I just really want to learn more about motorcycles.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

My '09 Bonneville was out in a tornado last night, and got quite a bit of rain. I park on the street, and haven't covered it since some jackass stole my cover, but haven't had many problems before. Occasionally it's a bit hard to start after a heavy rain, but once it's started everything is fine.

This morning, I had trouble starting it as well, and couldn't even get it going without the choke all the way out and giving it a bit of gas. After that though, if I ever let the revs down it would immediately stall. I could only keep it going by keeping the choke out and still giving it a bit of gas constantly. I rode about 5 blocks this way before realizing it wasn't getting any better and turning around.

The throttle response was also really weak. I only put it as high as 2nd gear, but even at WOT it felt like I was barely in first. I seriously doubt I could have even gotten it up to highway speed. If I let off the gas it would start to give off these little soft pops and puffs, too.

Could this be something as simple as water in the fuel line that for some reason isn't clearing out, or do I have an electrical problem loving up my EFI?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Club Sandwich posted:

Let me start of this post by saying that I have very little experience with motorcycles, but I have recently fallen in love with older style "scrambler" bikes like the Honda CL 100 and think it might finally be time to save up and invest in a bike of my own. I was wondering if older bikes like the Honda are good for learning on, and if so what are some other good models similar in style to the old CLs? Thanks in advance, and sorry about my lack of knowledge. I just really want to learn more about motorcycles.

The CL's were fairly unique, but awesome bikes. Triumph also made a scrambler, but they wont come cheap, and recently Kawasaki put out the W650 which also wont be that cheap because its newer.

Stick with the original CL if you want that style of bike and want to pay original CL prices.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

SlightlyMadman posted:

My '09 Bonneville was out in a tornado last night.

Could this be something as simple as water in the fuel line that for some reason isn't clearing out, or do I have an electrical problem loving up my EFI?

That is very likely all it is. Seals and gaskets are designed to keep whatever in and not necessarily water out. They're fine for your typical rains but tornado level winds can force it into all kinds of places. Watch for white smoke out the exhaust for the next few cold starts - if you see it then change the oil as water got mixed in.

Otherwise just run for a bit, get fresh gas in there, and dry out.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

The tank is about 2/3 full at the moment, so I guess tomorrow I'll try adding some seafoam and filling it the rest of the way up, and see if that helps. I think you're right that it does seem like water got into the gas tank. I have an after-market locking gas cap that I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it let some water in.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Don't they make products that are supposed to help push water out of gas? Dry gas I believe is what it's called.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

n8r posted:

Don't they make products that are supposed to help push water out of gas? Dry gas I believe is what it's called.

Isn't that what HEET does?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
They're both mostly alcohol, and form a solution with the water to make it burnable enough.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, that's what seafoam does, isn't it? I also have some Sta-Bil if that might work better? I thought you weren't supposed to put Heet in motorcycles?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Just get some pure isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) and chuck some in (like 1:10 to the fuel in there), give it a good mix - it'll run like poo poo for a while but it'll clear out any water in the tank and the rest of the system nicely for you.

(1:25 or so in there is also perfect for stopping carb icing, if you suffer from that)

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

So you recommend that over Sta-Bil or Seafoam? If those are mostly alcohol anyways, how would it make much of a difference?

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
If you have seafoam on hand just add it and be done with it man. All this is just to make it easier to chew through that gas and none of it will make a difference in 100 miles.

Do be sure to keep an eye on your exhaust and engine temp though. Water in the oil can make for bad things very quickly.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Or just pull the fuel line drain some of the gas, and top off the tank with fresh fuel.

If that sorts it out, use the drained gas for parts cleaner, your lawn mower, or cycle it back into the bike with more fresh gas.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

SlightlyMadman posted:

So you recommend that over Sta-Bil or Seafoam? If those are mostly alcohol anyways, how would it make much of a difference?

I don't actually know what either of those things are (guessing they're US brands - I'm one of those dirty furriners) but isopropanol does the job and is dirt cheap, and is normally the largest constituent of all these sort of products anyway (sometimes mixed with a little detergent and surfactant, but these are normally present in pump fuel anyway).

Oh and:

Halo_4am posted:

Do be sure to keep an eye on your exhaust and engine temp though. Water in the oil can make for bad things very quickly.

Probably a good idea to take it out for a long ride (at least an hour or two) to boil off any water in the oil - possibly take a litre of oil and a funnel with you just in case it has displaced a fair chunk of your oil. This will also hopefully burn through your poo poo fuel too.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Probably a good idea to take it out for a long ride (at least an hour or two) to boil off any water in the oil - possibly take a litre of oil and a funnel with you just in case it has displaced a fair chunk of your oil. This will also hopefully burn through your poo poo fuel too.

Bingo. Easy way to clear a little moisture from oil is to run it till it evaporates off. It will vent to wherever your PCV goes.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Aw man, you mean I have to go on a nice long weekend ride in the country-side this Saturday? But I was planning on cleaning the house! What a disaster.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
What an imposition! :monocle:

Take a cell phone in case we're all wrong.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, I'm not going any further than the gas station half a mile away until the bike at least starts sounding normal again and will idle without stalling. I'll just put the seafoam in, fill up the tank, and rev it in the parking lot. If that works, I know it was just the gas and can take it out on that nice long ride to burn through it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Anyone know of a good source for a 7inch headlight trim ring? I've got a fiberglass headlight bucket that I need to get a ring for to hold in a new light.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Do all spoked rims require inner tubes? And is there a difference between the tires used with tubes vs. tubeless?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

front wing flexing posted:

Do all spoked rims require inner tubes? And is there a difference between the tires used with tubes vs. tubeless?

No and yes, respectively, although in both cases the answer is a bit more complex.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

What about spoked rims off a '79 CB650? Inner tube only?

Thanks for the help.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Thanks for the help.

You need tubes.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Coredump posted:

Anyone know of a good source for a 7inch headlight trim ring? I've got a fiberglass headlight bucket that I need to get a ring for to hold in a new light.

Lots of old cars used 7" round sealed beams. The generic hotrod shop down the street from me sells chrome trim rings to go with their 7" halogen conversion buckets, but I don't know if they attach the same way yours would.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thanks for the help.

Tubes.

There are tubeless spoked rims, but they are either:

A) Hilarious duct tape and silicone sealant jobs hacked together by idiots on supermotojunkie (the VWVortex of the bike world) convinced that the weight savings from the tube will make their aircooled XR400 supermoto faster than a 690.

B) Functional, but mega-expensive and made by Alpina.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Chicago area goons, I need some helping tracking down a taillight. I have a 1999 Honda Shadow 1100 and have been riding with a cracked, but usable, taillight. Both the lens and the base is cracked thanks to some jackass hitting my bike and driving away overnight. I'm pretty sick of it and need to replace it. I found online that the whole taillight unit is loving $150 (part #: 33701-MM8-671). Naturally, I went to eBay but haven't found a replacement. Are there any motorcycle scrap yards in the Chicago area? I don't mind having to go out and rip the part out myself, but my Google skills are not finding anything.

Edit - my local Honda shop wants $210 for it. Jesus gently caress no.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 20, 2012

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Thanks guys. I wasn't trying to get out of using tubes, I was trying to use tubeless tires with tubes. I wound up taking them to a motorcycle only shop and they got them mounted. The tire place said they couldn't get the rear bead to pop in but the motorcycle shop did it in thirty seconds.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah you can use tubeless tires with tubes but not the other way around. Sup CB650 Buddy :hf:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

americanzero4128 posted:

Chicago area goons, I need some helping tracking down a taillight. I have a 1999 Honda Shadow 1100 and have been riding with a cracked, but usable, taillight. Both the lens and the base is cracked thanks to some jackass hitting my bike and driving away overnight. I'm pretty sick of it and need to replace it. I found online that the whole taillight unit is loving $150 (part #: 33701-MM8-671). Naturally, I went to eBay but haven't found a replacement. Are there any motorcycle scrap yards in the Chicago area? I don't mind having to go out and rip the part out myself, but my Google skills are not finding anything.

Edit - my local Honda shop wants $210 for it. Jesus gently caress no.

Can you just use some kind of aftermarket unit? What kind of space do you have to work with? I tried searching but didn't immediately see a straight on pic of the rear light.

Can you use silicone to seal the cracks or is it really cosmetically broken? You might get away with buying a new lens only and fixing the base as it's probably not 100% visible. You might look into plastic welding it if it's not metal.

Ronayers has the parts listed for about the same price I believe. 149 for the assembly.

Also - Is this the same bike?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-HONDA-VT...421f595&vxp=mtr

Or this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Shado...913ff84&vxp=mtr

This is the search I did :

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=honda+shadow+vt1100+tail+light&_sacat=0&_odkw=honda+shadow+tail+light&_osacat=0

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 20, 2012

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

ReelBigLizard posted:

Yeah you can use tubeless tires with tubes but not the other way around. Sup CB650 Buddy :hf:

What year do you have? I only rode mine once. I rode it home from the buyers house and broke down completely for a rebuild.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

JP Money posted:

Can you just use some kind of aftermarket unit? What kind of space do you have to work with? I tried searching but didn't immediately see a straight on pic of the rear light.

Can you use silicone to seal the cracks or is it really cosmetically broken? You might get away with buying a new lens only and fixing the base as it's probably not 100% visible. You might look into plastic welding it if it's not metal.

Ronayers has the parts listed for about the same price I believe. 149 for the assembly.

Also - Is this the same bike?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-HONDA-VT...421f595&vxp=mtr

Or this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Shado...913ff84&vxp=mtr

This is the search I did :

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=honda+shadow+vt1100+tail+light&_sacat=0&_odkw=honda+shadow+tail+light&_osacat=0

The first link is not the light I have. The second looks close to it and I might order that and get a red lens to go over it instead of the clear back if I can't find anything else. I did find a place in Minnesota online so I emailed the guy with what I'm looking for and see if he can find it and ship it.

I need a new lens for sure, and the base is cracked. I used some gorilla glue but it's not holding the base together well. The big problem is the place where the screw screws into, the stalk thing is broken off, so it's held on by one screw. Aftermarket is also a very real possibility, I am not in the mood to spend an arm and a leg on replacing this.

Edit - it's a 1999 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100. The Aero has the fender that goes all the way down the rear wheel.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

What year do you have? I only rode mine once. I rode it home from the buyers house and broke down completely for a rebuild.

'79 :hf:. I've gone one better and never even sat on it. She was running a couple of months ago apparently but then the guy took off the pipes and a few other bits for cleaning then got distracted by more pressing matters and wanted rid. In addition to the pipes to put back on she currently needs brake fluid, probably a carb drain/seafoam (redex), likely a new battery (I have one laying around somewhere) and definitely new tires. On the plus side I got the bike for £300.

Hoping to get some done this weekend but I also need to work on the KTM; New clutch plates/springs, clutch hose, CNC clutch slave, oil and filter change and figure out why my indicators stopped working.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

americanzero4128 posted:

I need a new lens for sure, and the base is cracked. I used some gorilla glue but it's not holding the base together well. The big problem is the place where the screw screws into, the stalk thing is broken off, so it's held on by one screw. Aftermarket is also a very real possibility, I am not in the mood to spend an arm and a leg on replacing this.

Edit - it's a 1999 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100. The Aero has the fender that goes all the way down the rear wheel.

What is the base made of? If it's black ABS plastic (like a lot of bike parts), we can repair it easily for about $5 in acetone and a couple of LEGOs.

You'll need to get another lens though.

I am in Chicago, so hit me at tamirlenk on gee 2 tha mail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Husband just bought a new battery for his bike. The only charger we have is one with 2 or 6 amp settings and it's not one that turns off automatically (sorry for my lack of proper terminology, I don't know diddly about this stuff). The instructions with the battery say to charge at 2-4 hours at 1 amp, or 1-3 hours at 1.5 amps. Is it going to hurt anything to charge it at 2 amps and just watch the little meter until it says it's fully charged, or will that screw something up?