Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Oh man, during scrimmage today I played defense and actually felt a little like my old self. I'm starting to get my legs back and my poke checks and passes are getting a lot more effective again.

(I was an extremely defensive defenseman)

It's also really fun basically being pseudo-captain of my scrimmage team, since I'm the guy with the most hockey experience on it. There's probably one guy in the class other than the teacher who's played more hockey than me, so it's nice having that veteran role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

People figure out who's got experience really quickly and it's funny how they react to it.

I'll be the first to admit I'm still a poo poo skater, but I've been at it for a year and change now and with some new faces I am no longer the worst dude on the ice. There's people who ask me for skating tips as if I have any business educating anyone, and they're constantly sending me passes out of some ridiculous expectation that I will be effective with it.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Ugh. Our captain just sent a text indicating our team won't be playing Fall/Winter. For whatever reason, we were left off the list.

This is the second time (and second location) this has happened. I can't tell if it's just due to rink managers being completely terrible or if it's the...ahem...on-ice conduct of some of our players...

:negative:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Woohoo guys, time to start training up!

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/17/replacement-players-could-solve-nhl-owners-problems-end-lockout

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

See you on the Leafs in January, fellow hockey newbie and future linemate! :hfive:

(Seriously, if even an SPHL team lets me near their team, we're in trouble)

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 18, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

2 games in Silver, 2 wins. Knocked off one of the top teams in the league last night. :hellyeah: Looks like we may actually be competitive this season!

Also, Silver games are so much more fun than Bronze. It's much less serious business.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

2 games in Silver, 2 wins. Knocked off one of the top teams in the league last night. :hellyeah: Looks like we may actually be competitive this season!

Also, Silver games are so much more fun than Bronze. It's much less serious business.

I would have expected just the opposite, but I guess I can see how now that guys have more talent they're much less emotionally invested in every little thing.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hypothesis: Given the following portion of the rules listed by the trustees

Les Trustéés posted:

This agreement shall remain in force so long as the League continues to be the world's leading professional hockey league as determined by its playing caliber, and in the event of dissolution or other termination of the National Hockey League, the Stanley Cup shall revert to the custody of the trustees.

The NHL is not the world's leading hockey league, since they're locked out. As such, custody falls back to the trustees and, by corollary, the Cup is open for competition by non-NHL teams.

I'm totally forming a challenge.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Dangerllama posted:

Hypothesis: Given the following portion of the rules listed by the trustees

The NHL is not the world's leading hockey league, since they're locked out. As such, custody falls back to the trustees and, by corollary, the Cup is open for competition by non-NHL teams.

I'm totally forming a challenge.

DO ITTTTTTT

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Who would you challenge? Would you have to play the LA Kings? :haw:

I bet as soon as one team submits a challenge, thousands more will flood in. Will turn into an instant clusterfuck.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Who would you challenge? Would you have to play the LA Kings? :haw:

I bet as soon as one team submits a challenge, thousands more will flood in. Will turn into an instant clusterfuck.

The biggest Beer League tournament in history would make AWESOME TV, and don't even try to deny that you wouldn't be one of the teams! :dance:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

The biggest Beer League tournament in history would make AWESOME TV, and don't even try to deny that you wouldn't be one of the teams! :dance:

It would make for horrible TV. There's a reason no one rolls in to watch beer league hockey. Also, guys like me who never actually played check hockey would probably wind up with broken everything.

But gently caress it. I want my name on that Cup. And since I've never actually touched it, there's still a chance...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But there would certainly be some awesome stories coming out of it. You know whatever team won the cup would have movie studio execs descend on them in five minutes to gobble up the story rights.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

"In a world without hockey...one team...would break all the rules..."

Starring Jason Statham.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Dangerllama posted:

"In a world without hockey...one team...would break all the rules..."

Starring Jason Statham.

Can we get Survivor to do the soundtrack?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

xzzy posted:

But there would certainly be some awesome stories coming out of it. You know whatever team won the cup would have movie studio execs descend on them in five minutes to gobble up the story rights.
I dunno, it would probably end up being a bunch of ex-D1 players. I wouldn't watch it.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Had our 2nd playoff game last night we won handily 7-2, it included my first multiple deke goal in a game. I've had a bunch of close ones where I deked by a couple people but couldn't put the puck in the net.

It was midway through the 3rd when I was back at the blue line covering for a D man when the puck got dumped out by the other team. I picked it up at center ice, the puck was kind of in my skates for a bit and I couldn't get it out. I finally looked up to see a forechecker coming at me as I finally manage to get it on my stick decently, so I went around him to the right and came into the zone because no one else was challenging me.

Saw their D-man was one of their lovely skaters so as I enter the zone I started to wind up for the slapper, he bit on it like I thought and I brought it to my backhand around him. Came into the face-off dot and into the slot and just ripped a wrister 5-hole.

Felt loving awesome to finally get a nice move going and score off it.

I am mad though that I didn't do the gangnam style celebration I had planned on doing if I scored.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

real_scud posted:

I am mad though that I didn't do the gangnam style celebration I had planned on doing if I scored.

EA is looking for video evidence on how to do this on ice skates if you do pull it off.. for inclusion in NHL 13/14. :v:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

xzzy posted:

EA is looking for video evidence on how to do this on ice skates if you do pull it off.. for inclusion in NHL 13/14. :v:
I know, which is why I had wanted to do it. Oh well I'll try to do it next week

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i ain't no fuckin scab :colbert:

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Sexy Randal posted:

When we have seven forwards we usually go with the rotating sub thing.

If you have Line 1 and Line 2, you start with line 1. Extra guy first subs off for Line 1 LW, then their next shift he subs for the RW, then next shift the C. Then he switches to Line 2 (after sitting out a shift) and repeats the process.

It's kind of a pain in the rear end but once you get the hang of it it works fine.
Thanks, this definitely sounds like it's best. I knew there was a simple option out there that I was just some how not seeing.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

real_scud posted:

Had our 2nd playoff game last night we won handily 7-2, it included my first multiple deke goal in a game. I've had a bunch of close ones where I deked by a couple people but couldn't put the puck in the net.

Is this for Kessel's league? I'm in the finals on Friday for the upper side of the league- we're playing a team that is apparently mostly ringers. I ran into a few of the guys during Sunday morning hockey and I'm worried were going to get rocked.

That would make 3 finals in a row with 3 second places :smith:.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Fingers McGee posted:

I took a slapper off the front of my shin last week. It stung quite a bit, but the shin pad did its job and the bruise I had wasn't even ugly enough to show off.

Get new shin guards, seriously, if you felt anything besides the pressure your shin guards are NOT doing their job. Should never bruise under the plastic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Doesn't that depend on the guards in use? A lot of guys use extremely thin guards and I imagine it's not hard at all to get bruised through them.. especially if the padding is worn from use or whatever.

I bought tanks for my legs and don't feel a goddamn thing when I step in front of a puck.

Unless it hits me in the skate. :negative:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Doesn't that depend on the guards in use? A lot of guys use extremely thin guards and I imagine it's not hard at all to get bruised through them.. especially if the padding is worn from use or whatever.

I bought tanks for my legs and don't feel a goddamn thing when I step in front of a puck.

Unless it hits me in the skate. :negative:
I thought I bought good shinguards but if I fall on me knees enough it hurts like hell. I'm still trying to think what piece of eq to ask for for Christmas (but >$200).

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I wore DR Centurion shinguards for years, now I wear RBK 9ks. Both were about the best pads on the market for their era. I've gotten some decent bruises/swelling on my shins from blocking shots with both. I was always just glad I was wearing the pads.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

I thought I bought good shinguards but if I fall on me knees enough it hurts like hell. I'm still trying to think what piece of eq to ask for for Christmas (but >$200).

I use Vapor X:40 shins and can't feel a goddamn thing. They own.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I did a great skills class today with the coach who originally taught me to skate two years ago. Who should be waiting for us to get off the ice at the end of our session but Rod fuckin' Brind'Amour, who was waiting to get on with his son's youth squad.

Yeah, he probably saw that piss-poor shot on net that I took in the last drill. :smuggo:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I've taken all sorts of shots off my shinguards, I've been using the same ones (two separate pairs, same model) since I was 14, cant remember ever feeling one that hit the plastic. And I stupidly still stand in front of shots.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Watch your sticks!

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

StyleFresh posted:

Watch your sticks!

Well, at least you won't get concussed.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Whew. Today our teacher pulled out all the really tiring drills, like dragging someone down the ice as they dig their skates in, hopping over the boards, and stops and starts. I'm tired as hell and it's awesome.

Moment of the day was when we were doing a breakout drill and I was the odd man out, so me and the teacher just did a two man breakaway on the goalie. He backhanded a pass to me and I one-timed it perfectly in the top right corner. Felt so good.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Vicas posted:

like dragging someone down the ice as they dig their skates in

Those drills rule. I also like the one where the guy sits on the ice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We occasionally do tug of war, two guys face off at the blue line, two hockey sticks. One hand on each stick and the goal is to pull or push the other guy off his feet.

Can do it with one stick too, held horizontal so both guys can get a good grip.

Will wear you out pretty good.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

gently caress those drills. Turns your quads into jelly :cry:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

gently caress those drills. Turns your quads into jelly :cry:
Worse when the loser has to do a sprint lap around the rink. :black101:

But I suppose that's how badasses are forged.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

FBV sharpening is perfect the second you step onto the ice, but HZ seems to be right, they do seem to dull pretty quickly.

Guy in town wants $15 to do a FBV. That's the first and last time I'll use him.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
:woop: Cleared to skate! :woop:

not for full contact. :smith:

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
I ended up doing something stupid - volunteering to take care of getting jerseys for a last minute 3 on 3 team that starts its season this week. Don't ever do this, as you can please none of the people none of the time. After much back and forth, I ordered the cheap 18.00 per jersey option from hockey tron, and if we are lucky they will be here before our 3rd game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

EvilTwig posted:

I ended up doing something stupid - volunteering to take care of getting jerseys for a last minute 3 on 3 team that starts its season this week. Don't ever do this, as you can please none of the people none of the time. After much back and forth, I ordered the cheap 18.00 per jersey option from hockey tron, and if we are lucky they will be here before our 3rd game.

Please post some pics when you get them since we are looking in to those (or a similar option) for our pond hockey tournament in January!