Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

a distinction without a difference

passionate people make a difference, I just write glib things on twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
thanks for the advice everyone, i put it all on my big list of things to learn about

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

tef posted:

I just write glib things on twitter

i don't really like glib; i prefer qt for what little desktop programming i do that isn't python

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Jonny 290 posted:

the first thing i requisitioned when i got my code job was a big fuckin' whiteboard and all the color markers

then i jacked a 200-count box of t-pins and posted poo poo up errywhere

i still have to get cubeplants though :( maybe i'll see if i can root a rosemary branch and bring it up there

t-pins is best pins

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
What's a tpin? Is it like a dickfour?

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

I have free will to do what I want but I choose to oscillate.
whats a dickfour

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

Only registered members can see post attachments!

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Paracetamol Boy posted:

whats a dickfour

heh, still gets me

T-pin:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

tef posted:

passionate people make a difference

this is a common misconception.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Lysidas posted:

i don't really like glib; i prefer qt for what little desktop programming i do that isn't python

oh you :3:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

i just think there is a difference between the driven and the driven mad

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

rotor posted:

a better way to put it is people that are disciplined, capable, and passionate can make a difference (and that's not always a good thing)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

syntaxrigger posted:

heh, still gets me
no really what's a dickfour? I've been trying to find out since grade school :sigh: won't somebody please tell me what's a dickfour?!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

no really what's a dickfour? I've been trying to find out since grade school :sigh: won't somebody please tell me what's a dickfour?!
ask yer mum :smug:

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

show not tell

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

tef posted:

passionate people make a difference, I just write glib things on twitter

this they do, big tymes.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I honestly think that programming and technology in general is loving awesome, but that doing it under pressure, with responsibilities towards users, budgets or some lovely arbitrary criteria related to the environment make it a burden.

There's this thing where programming, software engineering or computer science is a hobby, a book of fun challenging problems to solve. It's like drawing, music, or even sports. When you do them under your own rules and conditions, you can happily sink hours in them.

The moment a teacher, customer, or whoever forces you to do things their way, it sucks all the fun out of it. The game becomes an obligation, and it's ruined.

Few people have the luck of finding a dev job challenging enough (or set in the right environment) to keep them going and growing. For the rest of the dev world, programming sucks and everything is poo poo most of the time, especially if your day job and other obligations keep you from doing things on your own terms in your free time.

It's where hobbies and passions go to die.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

yaoi prophet posted:

so expose a blocking call that uses inter-thread communication between whatever thread calls it and the main thread, something like

code:
def get_setting(key):
  queue = Queue.Queue()    
  sublime.set_timeout(lambda: queue.put(sublime.get_setting(key)), 0)
  return queue.get()

sounds like a nightmare. cheers

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Lysidas posted:

what department is offering this course for what purpose and what is it's intdented audience? image processing is some heavy stuff and uses a lot of fourier transforms and poo poo, maybe you should take a course that isn't for idiots

the raw data you get from a CT machine is essentially in radon transformed format, same with MRIs and fourier transformed

this is a cool book

it's by the cs department and according to the course description we are going to make fourier transforms and poo poo later in teh course, but we are apparently starting from the level dumb drooling babbies.

i looked up that book. the firs edition was published in 1977 :stare: and it's kinda not cheap at all.

ordering this too, this might actually be useful for a project i've been thinking about.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Wheany posted:

ordering this too, this might actually be useful for a project i've been thinking about.

it'll be useful no matter what, if you don't at least know a little graph theory you won't make it very far

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Wheany posted:

dumbest question, but what kind of projects could this be used for?

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graph_theory#Applications

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
so basically anything that involves that involves things being related being related to other things

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

OBAMA BIN LAUGHIN posted:

so basically anything that involves that involves things being related being related to other things

you might be a redneck if your family tree contains cycles which would make it not a tree

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

contract dev

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6163683/cycles-in-family-tree-software

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

graph theory has implications everywhere. think of how facebook suggests friends for you; they're using graph theory to map your friendships and make friend suggestions based on similar nodes.

basically, math owns.

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

also used a lot in games. one way to approach AI pathing so that npcs can chase you n poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
directed multigarphs and dijkstra's algorithm are the most useful things

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

abraham linksys posted:

ian mclean's statpedia dot com

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Also how to connect the god drat rooms in my lovely rogue like game.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Shaggar posted:

directed multigarphs and dijkstra's algorithm are the most useful things

i STILL have nightmares of having to do dijkstra's algorithm by hand for my algorithms class TWICE

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

syntaxrigger posted:

i STILL have nightmares of having to do dijkstra's algorithm by hand for my algorithms class TWICE

dijkstra and bellman-ford are pretty straightforward

you need to start dreaming about D*

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

Hard NOP Life posted:

Also how to connect the god drat rooms in my lovely rogue like game.

wouldn't it be easier to just generate a roomed maze instead of doing that

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Paracetamol Boy posted:

dijkstra and bellman-ford are pretty straightforward

you need to start dreaming about D*

it was a 12 node map and I just remember having a lot of tedious matrix additions and comparisons and making a lot of silly mistakes I had to then go back an correct.

Maybe I am getting my algorithms mixed up, it was some time ago.

now tho this kind of poo poo motivates me, I just wish I could keep that motivation until I can actually ACT on it, a la after work

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

abraham linksys posted:

programming projects mostly

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

syntaxrigger posted:

it was a 12 node map and I just remember having a lot of tedious matrix additions and comparisons and making a lot of silly mistakes I had to then go back an correct.

Maybe I am getting my algorithms mixed up, it was some time ago.

now tho this kind of poo poo motivates me, I just wish I could keep that motivation until I can actually ACT on it, a la after work

i haven't ever thought about using matrices for hand-dijkstra, that sounds pretty complicated
i just play paper queue
um maybe it's a different algorithm

someone started talking to me about 3D field D*
my brainus was never the same after that

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Paracetamol Boy posted:

wouldn't it be easier to just generate a roomed maze instead of doing that

There are two ways to do it, one is by generating the rooms, placing them on the level and then connecting them. Conceptually I think this way is easier to understand so I'm going to do that first, but I'm also really interested in creating the cellular automaton that can grow the maze like you said.

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

Hard NOP Life posted:

There are two ways to do it, one is by generating the rooms, placing them on the level and then connecting them. Conceptually I think this way is easier to understand so I'm going to do that first, but I'm also really interested in creating the cellular automaton that can grow the maze like you said.

oh wow nice, actually i wasn't thinking about generation using automata. that is neat.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Hard NOP Life posted:

do whatever 100 rogues does but the opposite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Paracetamol Boy posted:

i haven't ever thought about using matrices for hand-dijkstra, that sounds pretty complicated
i just play paper queue
um maybe it's a different algorithm

someone started talking to me about 3D field D*
my brainus was never the same after that

did some research, I am thinking it was A* now and not dijkstra. It looks more familiar