Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Cowboys fans are so cute sometimes :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
From Volnation

quote:

I work for Kellogg's who makes Cheez-It. Cheez-It is a major sponsor for College Game Day. We brought Herbstreit to my office in Bentonville, AR today where he did a Q&A for an hour, then signed autographs, and allowed our employees and their families take photos with him. After that his handlers rushed him over to Bentonville High School where he was the MC for the 7 on 7 tourney over there.

The people I work with are predominantly Arkansas, Oklahoma, or Missouri fans. He gave a few of the Kansas fans a hard time. I'm the lone Louisville fan in the office, so I could only ask one question during the Q&A. My question was, "In the BCS Era the Big East has outperformed the ACC by a wide margin in BCS Bowl games. Why, then, does the media give the ACC such a free pass while constantly bashing the Big East?"

Before he answered he said "Nobody is recording this session, right? No cell phones or iPhones or anything like that?" Everybody kind of laughed, but that led me to believe that anything he said that could possibly be construed as negative towards the ACC would get him in hot water. Anyway, he said that if everybody saw what he sees week in and week out it would be so obvious that the Big East isn't a BCS caliber conference. He said if the conference was so good why would Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia, Miami, BC, and Virginia Tech all leave. He flat out said, (and I quote) "The Big East is a joke." His point is that it is a basketball conference and controlled by the basketball schools and that it's a sinking ship. He asked me who my team was and I responded "Louisville." He said that Jurich was the best AD in the country and that Louisville is a team on the teetering on the precipice right now and they need to get out of the Big East fast...really fast.

There were questions about the Petrino ordeal at Arkansas. He said that John L. was the perfect hire. His personality and antics will keep the media's interest and keep them from rehashing that embarrassing Petrino saga over and over and over again. He said Petrino will turn up somewhere because he's a great coach. He didn't know anything more than that.

In response to the question, "Who will be the next coach at Arkansas?" he responded that he was with John Gruden at a Kenny Chesney concert a few weeks ago. From that conversation he got the distinct impression Gruden was itching to get back into coaching, and it will most likely be at the college level. He said he didn't think Arkansas would be attractive enough for him, but he mentioned that the Tennessee job, should it come open, would be attractive to Gruden. 15 minutes later when asked about coaches on the hot seat he mentioned that the Tennessee coach was most at risk this year. Interesting...

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Rats raining down in the night during the Stanley Cup finals.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Pillbug

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
So it's ok to be gay if you're 0-14 is his point? I'm going to call that progress.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

FReepers and football make for some fascinating reading. An article quoting Tebow saying he'd "at least look at and consider one day" a run for political office. Of course the general consensus was that he'd make a good politician because of his true Christian values. Just a few gems:

"Last year He almost took Denver all the way to the Super Bowl, but the Eco Liberals in Denver could not stand to see a solid Christian leading their team and they had him cut from the roster."
:argh: drat Eco Liberals in Denver undermining the Tebow train!!

"My son and I were talking about him the other day. He is really good at turning around the insults of sneering and mean people in sports and he’s good at foiling their efforts to create destructive divisions among him and other players.

He has enough social grace for twenty five elected officials in Congress. I don’t know how good he’d be at lying and permitting secret treasonous schemes, though. The Dims would not want him because he’s not a commie slut so he’d probably be one of our’s."

Never thought I'd hear "commie slut," and Tebow mentioned in the same breath.

"Unfortunately for Tim, he was made to play for the Jets who represent New York City and the New York City market is dominated by Secularists, Gays, Liberals and foregniers who would not stand for a real American like Tebow playing for their team.

Instead, they have chosen this Sanchez fella."

:allears: FReepers and football.

Valdearg20
Sep 13, 2012

buddhanc posted:

:allears: FReepers and football.

Ugh. The fact that they're just as insane and stupid regarding football as they are politics is sad. They're really just that detached from reality, huh?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Valdearg20 posted:

Ugh. The fact that they're just as insane and stupid regarding football as they are politics is sad. They're really just that detached from reality, huh?

I want to hear what they have to say about Tony Romo. Wait, I probably don't.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Eco Liberals don't watch competitive sports.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Valdearg20 posted:

There was a lot of Tebow love / glorifying in the thread, and then a few reasonable people chimed in and talked about him as a football player and how he's doing in the NFL. I felt a little spark in my heart from such rationality, and then they started talking about whether Ponder or Tebow is better, leaving me crushed, just like every thread eventually does from FReepers.

Valdearg20
Sep 13, 2012

buddhanc posted:

There was a lot of Tebow love / glorifying in the thread, and then a few reasonable people chimed in and talked about him as a football player and how he's doing in the NFL. I felt a little spark in my heart from such rationality, and then they started talking about whether Ponder or Tebow is better, leaving me crushed, just like every thread eventually does from FReepers.

I've given up looking for rationality from them. I mainly read their stuff to laugh at their expense, and then realize that these people share something like 99.9% of my genetic code. :suicide:

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Has Caste Football attempted to champion Tebow as a running back? That would seem to work for both parties--CF would get their superstar "caste-breaker" white running back and Tebow wouldn't have to throw the ball.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

quote:

"My son and I were talking about him the other day. He is really good at turning around the insults of sneering and mean people in sports and he’s good at foiling their efforts to create destructive divisions among him and other players."

This is somewhat true except he doesn't actually try to foil anybody he just is just oblivious and good-natured.

Bagelsport
Nov 14, 2005

I picked up a doctor - he's good with a knife
Says anaesthetic's a waste
of his time

MD2020 posted:

Has Caste Football attempted to champion Tebow as a running back? That would seem to work for both parties--CF would get their superstar "caste-breaker" white running back and Tebow wouldn't have to throw the ball.

But that would mean Sanchez at QB. He does interviews in Mexican, don't you know.

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.
As someone who works in politics and has to deal with these loving people each and every goddamn day of my life, please, no freerepublic. Anything else. Caste football all day. Just no politics.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Sash! posted:

Eco Liberals don't watch competitive sports.

Um, excuse me, but Ultimate Frisbee would like to have a word with you.

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Rats raining down in the night during the Stanley Cup finals.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Pillbug

:drugnerd: posted:

as "cheezy" as this stuff sounds, the fundamentals of quantum physics imply that consciousness indeed affects and pervades reality. The way we think not only affects our performance, but science is starting to show that thoughts also affect our environment and the world at large. This is no longer a pie in the sky theory reserved for "new agers." Anyone that says otherwise is either misinformed, or likely incapable of grasping complex information. Don't get me started on nonlocality either.

The way that electrons perform in phase space and their dual particle - wave nature also suggests a bifurcation that we are now understanding to be potential vs. reality. The way that subatomic particles react to thought processes and consciousness tell us that something as easy as putting "1-0" truly can have an effect on the game. It's the same reason a player that is "too small," "not strong enough," etc. can excel beyond their perceived limitations -- no longer self-imposed.

Put the drat signs up and get these guys to buy in Joe!

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass

In my first chapter I will describe the correlation between properties of the Higgs boson and "just wins games" and, furthermore,

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
He totally fucks up the concept he's talking about, but I like how he implies that quantum physics was at some point just some hippie new-age bullshit.

Planck's law: exactly the same as healing crystals

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
What the hell is that? Who is he talking about? Guys under Joe philbin? Ho boy

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

What the hell is that? Who is he talking about? Guys under Joe philbin? Ho boy

After winning the Heisman Reggie Bush performed miserably because he did not believe in himself.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I THINK they was saying that the whole "positive thinking on its own creating palpable things in the real world" is the hippie thing and they're claiming that quantum mechanics is being proven to be the cause.

"don't get me started on nonlocality either" is probably my favorite part. If nothing else expressed their tenuous hold on the subject matter, this should.

Ask them to post the mathematics behind his proposed thought-reality bifurcation balance mechanism.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Epic High Five posted:

I THINK they was saying that the whole "positive thinking on its own creating palpable things in the real world" is the hippie thing and they're claiming that quantum mechanics is being proven to be the cause.

"don't get me started on nonlocality either" is probably my favorite part. If nothing else expressed their tenuous hold on the subject matter, this should.

Ask them to post the mathematics behind his proposed thought-reality bifurcation balance mechanism.

Not too mention the metaphysical difficulties.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Not too mention the metaphysical difficulties.

With that kind of negative thinking of course they're difficult :colbert:

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

buddhanc posted:

FReepers and football make for some fascinating reading. An article quoting Tebow saying he'd "at least look at and consider one day" a run for political office. Of course the general consensus was that he'd make a good politician because of his true Christian values. Just a few gems:

"Last year He almost took Denver all the way to the Super Bowl, but the Eco Liberals in Denver could not stand to see a solid Christian leading their team and they had him cut from the roster."
:argh: drat Eco Liberals in Denver undermining the Tebow train!!

Thats a really odd thing to call the New England Patriots.

troofs posted:

He totally fucks up the concept he's talking about, but I like how he implies that quantum physics was at some point just some hippie new-age bullshit.

Planck's law: exactly the same as healing crystals

All science until proven is largely viewed as witch doctor medicine by the public. And even at that point when someone tries to explain it to the public at large, the general response is glossy eyes and "sure thing, crazy". Which is exactly how most people look at hippy new-age bullshit. Right or wrong, when you explain advanced science to the general public your hope is they simply accept they won't understand. Your fear is someone will scream "witchcraft, Burn them!".

Chances are that wasn't where he was headed, but in the right context comparing the two in early development isn't entirely off.

Except for the part where Quantum Physics actually has the chance to be a real thing.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Danica! posted:

Except for the part where Quantum Physics actually has the chance to be a real thing.

I always thought that the trouble for the public with Quantum Mechanics wasn't that it was currently being proven, but rather that despite it being one of the best supported theories in science, it's so counter intuitive and averse to yes/no answers that the public as a whole has trouble embracing it. Also, somehow of all theories it's the one most tied up with religion so people just grasp that and run with it. Just google "quantum mechanics proof" to see for yourself.

I've been hunting for idiot Colts posters to add here (and to keep from feeling like I'm derailing with this talk), but mostly it's just polite people talking about injuries and un-quoteworthy weirdos in comment sections. I must be looking in the wrong places :(

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Danica! posted:

Hey, guy, I'm contacting you through application of quantum mechanics right now.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I barely understood half the words said on this page.

This is nothing new

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I choose to not observe games and collapse the wave function. All teams are undefeated.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sash! posted:

I choose to not observe games and collapse the wave function. All teams are undefeated.

You mean all teams are both undefeated and defeated by all.

nous_
May 14, 2010
I spent 80k on my sociology degree and all I got was the stupid opinion I just posted.

(and herpes)

quote:

Just burnt my Sanchez jersey in my driveway, this loving team sucks, besides myself, can't take it anymore. Losing to the loving Dolphins....gently caress this team.

About to take all of my Jets gear to Woody's house and drop it off at the front gate. gently caress that human being and gently caress the front office.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
You're going to see some horrible football posts on this football forum if the Bengals defense doesn't start improving.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Wrong thread. That post is awesome burn all Sanchez merch 420

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Toussaint Louverture posted:

You're going to see some horrible football posts on this football forum if the Bengals defense doesn't start improving.

Think of it this way: Injuries and bad LB/Safety play means that no one is poaching Zimmer for a HC job this season. So there's at least that going for us.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
lmao I'm going to Jets forums more often

On Revis's ACL injury:

quote:

The season is not over, but the Jets are surely in trouble. It is odd that Revis made $16 mil a year, then drops to $3.5 and has a concussion and now a possible season-ending injury. I am not saying it is related, but it is odd.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

lmao I'm going to Jets forums more often

On Revis's ACL injury:
One guy blamed the ACL injury on Revis watching the Jets/Steelers game from a bar instead of his couch. And for being greedy. Fan forums are the worst places on the Internet.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

a Yahoo commenter posted:

Pats didn't really cheat. Nothing wrong with reading somebody else's lips if they're too drat dumb to cover their mouths.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

the Titans' SB Nation blog posted:

Let’s get one thing straight, as much as I cannot stand the Houston Texans, they have much, much more disrespect for the Titans. This stems back to the days of Uncle Bud moving the once "Houston Oilers" from their native land to Nashville TN, yes I know, wah wah cry me a river. Tennessee is everything the Fexans have ever wanted to be, storied history, magical plays, and a Super Bowl appearance. What do the Texans have to show for it? Nothing at all, well, one and done in the playoffs last season, again, cry me a river.

. . . Until then I will leave the Fexans and their fans with this, we are coming and we are coming to win, even if the Titans do not manage to pull this game out they will put a major scare in your heart, if you do manage to win…..well then, I hope all of your ACL’s simultaneously explode. F you all.

"Houston Oilers" requires quotation marks, I guess.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'll probably regret asking, but what is 'Fexans?' Just loving Texans?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Grittybeard posted:

I'll probably regret asking, but what is 'Fexans?' Just loving Texans?

Fake Texans I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

:laffo: I'd love to see his posts after the Jets won.

• Locked thread