Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Vaerai Archon posted:

No the character models are all a much higher polygonal count and the textures are a higher resolution. While DQ8 had cell shading, the models were not that smooth and refined.
Also it's not much of a knock against the Wii U considering the basic geometry was built to work on the Wii, even if that version never sees release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Wasn't able to watch the IGN live stream but did they visit any heavily populated areas? The game ran really choppy on the Wii version from some Japanese guy's stream I watched a couple weeks ago.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 21, 2012

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

This is pretty interesting. Eurogamer has talked about the CPU with Akihiro Suzuki who's producer on Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper:

Eurogamer posted:

A chat about the power of the Wii U with the developer of a Wii U launch title

We know the Wii U's IBM-made CPU, made up of three Power PC cores, is one of its weaknesses, at least compared to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. But how will this impact the performance of Wii U games?

At the Tokyo Game Show earlier today Eurogamer spoke with the developer of one of the biggest Wii U launch games, Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper, to find out.

The playable version of the game on the Tokyo Game Show floor is not up to the performance levels of past Dynasty Warriors games in terms of frame rate and number of enemies on screen, and is shown up considerably by Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires, the PS3 exclusive also playable on publisher Tecmo Koei's stand.

Akihiro Suzuki, producer of the Dynasty Warriors franchise, admitted this was the case when quizzed by Eurogamer, and pointed to the Wii U's CPU by way of explanation.

"One of the weaknesses of the Wii U compared to PS3 and Xbox 360 is the CPU power is a little bit less," he said. "So for games in the Warriors series, including Dynasty Warriors and Warriors Orochi, when you have a lot of enemies coming at you at once, the performance tends to be affected because of the CPU.

"Dealing with that is a challenge."

The exact specifications of the CPU, including clock speed, remain undisclosed for now, but developers, including those Eurogamer spoke to for an investigation into the power of the Wii U, have confirmed it's slower than the CPU inside both the PS3 and Xbox 360.

But one of its strengths is said to be its custom AMD 7 series GPU, and the 1GB of RAM available to games: double that of the PS3 and Xbox 360.

This, Suzuki said, means the Orochi development team had the opportunity to create visuals better than those possible on PS3 and Xbox 360.

"Developing on new hardware in itself was a challenge, and also making that launch date was a challenge," he said. "But from a visual standpoint, based on the performance of the Wii U, we knew the game had the capability of having much better graphics than games on PS3 and Xbox 360. Make no mistake, from a visual standpoint, it is able to produce better graphics. So our challenge was to make a higher quality graphics. We were able to meet that."

Suzuki vowed that the performance of the game will be improved before release. He better get his skates on: Warriors Orochi 3 launches alongside the Wii U on 30th November.

"While the visuals are great, as is being able to improve them, we had to deal with the lower CPU power and how we can get around that issue," he said.

"Actually, we're still working on that. If you see the demo on the show floor and you try it, you'll probably feel it's not up to the PS3 level. But we're working on it!"

As part of Eurogamer's investigation into the power of the Wii U, Digital Foundry boss Richard Leadbetter expressed concern about the Nintendo console. "It'll be interesting to see how future Face-Offs work out," he pondered. "I expect that GPU focused games will benefit from smoother frame-rates and lower levels of screen-tear, but cross-platform titles highly dependent on CPU power could end up noticeably worse off."

According to Suzuki, the main issue is that developers are still wrapping their head around the CPU, and so are yet to work out how best to use it.

"For the PS3 it has multiple CPUs and an SPU, so you can calculate the various motions of the characters on the CPU so overall it runs smoothly," Suzuki explained. "The Xbox 360 CPUs are formulated so they can spread out the processing power so things run efficiently.

"With the Wii U being new hardware, we're still getting used to developing for it, so there are still a lot of things we don't know yet to bring out the most of the processing power. There's a lot that still needs to be explored in that area."
Source

I wonder what impact that'll have on multiplatform games.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Wasn't able to watch the IGN live stream but did they visit any heavily populated areas? The game ran really choppy on the Wii version from some Japanese guy's stream I watched a couple weeks ago.
Not that I saw, just a few characters around. Good point though, I forgot how choppy it looked, just smoothing out the framerate seems like it'd be a big improvement (...hopefully that was a graphical thing rather than poor handling of lag/network syncing).

And there was one change I saw mentioned somewhere, accurate shadows instead of the circle shadows! :effort:

Iacen posted:

This is pretty interesting. Eurogamer has talked about the CPU with Akihiro Suzuki who's producer on Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper:

Source

I wonder what impact that'll have on multiplatform games.
The last part about getting used to the hardware probably means early ports might be sketchy but should get better with time with more familiarity and improved dev tools. And I guess eventually getting away from optimizing for the funky Cell and Xenon architectures as they move work onto the new systems.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

hangedman1984 posted:

Really? I've been called a nintendo fanboy before, but I didn't even like the N64 controller. There was always a third of it that was just pointless (usually the left third)

Yeah but I just ignore that third. Otherwise in just always liked the button combo. Could just be nostalgia too I guess.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I picked up an N64 controller again for the first time in a decade the other day and it feels like poo poo. The joystick is so small and sensitive, buttons are awkward to reach (even now that I'm not ten years old and have Large Man Hands), etc. Probably the worst controller I've ever handled in my life.

Seeing people handle the U tablet, it looks very comfortable, and a lot smaller than I imagined it'd be. I would never transfer games to it though, reason I don't like handheld gaming is because the screen is so small and I need my games blown up on giant screens.

Of course in the old days this hid a lot of very ugly details and pixelation but now that games look like this, give me a drat hdmi cable to connect it to a TV or something.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think I'll play a lot of games on tablet when my wife is home, just so she can watch whatever. I think I'll be able to get away with a lot more gaming not having to monopolize the tv.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Bobnumerotres posted:

Of course in the old days this hid a lot of very ugly details and pixelation but now that games look like this, give me a drat hdmi cable to connect it to a TV or something.

Jesus, I wouldn't want that on a big screen. That looks horrible on anything other than a small screen. But otherwise you're right, games need to be played big.

Evil Queen Bee
Sep 7, 2011

greatn posted:

I think I'll play a lot of games on tablet when my wife is home, just so she can watch whatever. I think I'll be able to get away with a lot more gaming not having to monopolize the tv.

Yeah I am in the same boat and it is one of the features I am most excited about along with TVii. Those two along with just being hungry for a new console have me sold day one for a console I otherwise could probably wait a year or so to get once more exclusives have rolled out.

Oh and ZombiU has me there as well. A game I just know is going to end up disappointing me, but I am excited for anyway.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I can't believe by the way, that every game I am preordering is Ubisoft. Rayman, ZombiU, and Assassin's Creed 3. I wasn't interested in Rayman, ironically, until the news you don't control Rayman that turned everyone else off. The game looked way too frenetic for me and too busy, and not something you explore, but the revelation that you actually are effecting the stage while Rayman does stuff makes it more of a puzzle game where you come up with solutions to obstacles, which is a lot more up my alley.

By the way I read Ninja Garden has online co-op, which is exclusive to the Wii U version. Not something I'm interested in because I don't like ultra violence, but showing there is some online multiplayer from the get go (just not from Nintendo).

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Evil Benius posted:

Oh and ZombiU has me there as well. A game I just know is going to end up disappointing me, but I am excited for anyway.

So far, every single hands on has been impressed and in love with the game.

I mean, I guess the beginning / demo could be great and the game horrible... but so far there really hasn't been any big complaints by those who have gotten to try it.

Unlike Red Steel, which got hyped by Nintendo and Ubisoft over and over again... then when people tried it it was like: "Uhmmm it's ok. We like using the Wii Remote to aim a gun and sword stuff seems ok. Maybe the final version will be better." Release: "gently caress this game." Went from ehh maybe it'll improve to HATE.

I remember my roommate got the game and the sword fights sucked. He got tired of trying to play them the right way and realized he could just waggle the remote aimlessly and as wildly as possible and win. Who cares about blocking and special moves when wild hits will eventually hit them? They could barely get an attack in and I think he only ever really died once or twice in late game special boss fights.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

greatn posted:

I think I'll play a lot of games on tablet when my wife is home, just so she can watch whatever.

This is absolutely what will get me to buy 3rd party games on Wii U over 360. There are plenty of games and shows that my wife and I both enjoy, but I'm not too likely to sit and watch an hour of Vampire Diaries. And she's not too likely to sit and play NCAA 2013 for an hour.

Now if only they'd announce NCAA 13 for Wii U :(

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I really wish the screen transfer thing was a system level feature. Something Nintendo forced everyone to incorporate. Did they even say if it worked with TVii?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

kater posted:

I really wish the screen transfer thing was a system level feature. Something Nintendo forced everyone to incorporate. Did they even say if it worked with TVii?

Well, depending on how integrated the gamepad screen is into the controls you might not be able to play a game just on it. Its left as optional because it wont work with some games. Any game worth its salt that is able will include it.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

kater posted:

For any streaming content, yes. So Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and possibly TiVo (?) can be viewed on either screen. For live TV, no.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

kater posted:

I hope not. Some games won't work with it and I can see a lot of people never even using that feature.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Rake Arms posted:

For live TV, no.

Was this part truly confirmed? I don't recall reading about it anywhere, but I might have missed something.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, a lot of game concepts depend on the multiple viewing screens. I think every game that didn't, or is a port, absolutely should use gamepad play.

You can't watch live tv on the pad because it is actually only functioning as a remote. Hulu, Amazon, netflix are streaming to the console so can stream to the gamepad.

Two things Nintendo needs to do: get ESPN3. Part Rockstar whatever bribe they need to bring GTA5 over, though driving games will be hampered by a lack of analog acceleration.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Most of us will view using the gamepad in NSMBU's Boost Rush as baby mode. Sure It'll allow the player to add platforms to aide your fellow players, but I see it as a natural evolution of NSMBWii's Chip N Dale's Rescue Rangers" style rear end in a top hat gameplay. I will be using it to wall off key points and place platforms right in a friend's trajectory so that they hit it instead of landing on it.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

greatn posted:

I wasn't interested in Rayman, ironically, until the news you don't control Rayman that turned everyone else off. The game looked way too frenetic for me and too busy, and not something you explore, but the revelation that you actually are effecting the stage while Rayman does stuff makes it more of a puzzle game where you come up with solutions to obstacles, which is a lot more up my alley.

For the record, that's just a portion of the game; in fact, how big or small a portion it supposedly is is what caused the minor shitstorm here. So far, all the demos show the game as a "proper" jump'n'run (I played it at Gamescom) and while the part you mention does exists (and I am looking forward to it), it's not the whole game.

Still a good preorder.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Iacen posted:

Source
Have they confirmed whether or not the Wii U's processor can do Out-of-Order Execution? I'd heard that this could make up some of the deficit.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Man I'm glad I just work on webcode, efficiency, database, and automation stuff. I just hit compile. I will never have to ask about processor functions.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

Was this part truly confirmed? I don't recall reading about it anywhere, but I might have missed something.

Yeah, I linked an interview earlier with the guy who presented it at their show. The interviewer specifically asked if Wii U replaces your cable box, and he clarified that the live tv features just use IR to switch your TV inputs and control your cable box.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I have an LG which is a very common brand so I have to assume it will have the IR signature. Switching inputs is a two step process though, no single button does it. You bring up menu and scroll through. So I don't know if their TVii software will be sophisticated enough for that. But I don't mind doing that manually if I have to.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Most of us will view using the gamepad in NSMBU's Boost Rush as baby mode. Sure It'll allow the player to add platforms to aide your fellow players, but I see it as a natural evolution of NSMBWii's Chip N Dale's Rescue Rangers" style rear end in a top hat gameplay. I will be using it to wall off key points and place platforms right in a friend's trajectory so that they hit it instead of landing on it.

Is it confirmed that you can use the game pad to help in boost rush mode?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bobnumerotres posted:

I hope not. Some games won't work with it and I can see a lot of people never even using that feature.

It's strange because of all the different control schemes. You want developers to use the Game Pad in innovative ways, yet you also have single screen play on the Game Pad and the Pro Controller I have a feeling that it's going to be like the 3DS, where on the DS you saw a lot of innovative uses with the two screens, but with forcing your game play to the upper 3D screen it turns the lower one into this auxiliary screen only used for maps and item selection.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yep

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah, this month's Game Informer confirms it.

quote:

This allows them to place up to four platforms at a time using the Gamepad touchscreen, making those out of reach star coins more attainable. Touching the screen has many other applications as well, including popping friends out of bubbles, stunning enemies, making it easier to touch the top of end level flagpoles, manipulating environmental objects and swatting paratroopas out of the sky.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I will either be turning that off or not touching the screen.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

greatn posted:

I have an LG which is a very common brand so I have to assume it will have the IR signature. Switching inputs is a two step process though, no single button does it. You bring up menu and scroll through. So I don't know if their TVii software will be sophisticated enough for that. But I don't mind doing that manually if I have to.

Hopefully you can customize the IR macros. It would be especially handy if you could directly input commands from your TV/cable remote into the GamePad's IR receiver. I have a Dynexy, Best Buy's house brand, so I can only hope they're doing whatever they can to make this thing compatible with as many brands/models as possible.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

greatn posted:

By the way I read Ninja Garden has online co-op, which is exclusive to the Wii U version. Not something I'm interested in because I don't like ultra violence, but showing there is some online multiplayer from the get go (just not from Nintendo).
Huh first I've heard about that. Just looked it up:
http://nintendoeverything.com/99039/updated-ninja-gaiden-3-razors-edge-fact-sheet-online-co-op-chapter-challenge/

quote:

Online Co-op Multiplayer mode with Ryu and Ayane – In addition to an up to eight-player multiplayer battle mode, the game now offers Ryu and Ayane as playable characters in the two-player online co-op multiplayer mode.
Might be worth checking out if the latest previews about them adding in actual challenge pan out for the whole game.

Chaltab posted:

Have they confirmed whether or not the Wii U's processor can do Out-of-Order Execution? I'd heard that this could make up some of the deficit.
The GC and Wii CPUs did OoOE :eng101:, so yeah the Wii U probably does it too, but it can only do so much, particularly with code that's likely tailored around a significantly different setup. It should be simpler to program for so hopefully devs will be able to more quickly get up to speed with it (vs something like the PS3's early days with 360 ports).

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Given Rayman's nonsense I kinda want confirmation you don't need to use the game pad to help in boost rush mode.

ChuckLogan
Oct 10, 2009

Oh yeah? Well, I had sex with your wife!

Bobnumerotres posted:

I picked up an N64 controller again for the first time in a decade the other day and it feels like poo poo. The joystick is so small and sensitive, buttons are awkward to reach (even now that I'm not ten years old and have Large Man Hands), etc. Probably the worst controller I've ever handled in my life.

Seeing people handle the U tablet, it looks very comfortable, and a lot smaller than I imagined it'd be.
You, sir, have never handled a Jaguar 64 controller. :colbert: I remember being 14-ish and seeing Miyamoto demonstrating the new controller, then finally getting to play Mario 64. It was amazing for it's time. As to your second point, for some reason when I watch videos/see pictures of the Wii U controller I fear that I am going to be holding a 15" laptop in my hands while playing the next Zelda. :ohdear: (But I truly hope that everyone in the Nintendo promotional videos are midgets and the controller will be "normal" size.

EDIT: vv I don't doubt that is is light (rated at 1.1 lb., it just looks cumbersome and reminds me of my 10 month old holding an Ipad. :3: )

ChuckLogan fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 22, 2012

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

From what I've heard from everyone who's tried the Gamepad out, it's extremely comfortable, and lighter than it looks. I'm sure there are a few people in this thread who've tried it out at E3 or PAX.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's some more Nano Assault Neo footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epeqXuJZUdw

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

ChuckLogan posted:

(But I truly hope that everyone in the Nintendo promotional videos are midgets and the controller will be "normal" size.

EDIT: vv I don't doubt that is is light (rated at 1.1 lb., it just looks cumbersome and reminds me of my 10 month old holding an Ipad. :3: )

I played it at Gamescom, it's fine. So is the "heft" of the Gamepad Pro, by the way. Can we dial back the "prereleaseness" of this thread a bit, maybe? You people freak out over literally anything when hardly anyone in here has even touched the thing or played a game. (I know that's the reason why but seriously, chill out.)

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

I always thought the original Nano Assault had an awesome theme but I never really saw it in stores or thought to pick it up. This looks pretty genuinely awesome, I'll probably end up downloading it as soon as I can.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Katana Gomai posted:

I played it at Gamescom, it's fine. So is the "heft" of the Gamepad Pro, by the way. Can we dial back the "prereleaseness" of this thread a bit, maybe? You people freak out over literally anything when hardly anyone in here has even touched the thing or played a game. (I know that's the reason why but seriously, chill out.)

Are you seriously trying to ask people to be reasonable?

Hell, even I got caught up in it after seeing one quote about Rayman and totally misinterpreting it.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'm surprised about all of the ZombiU hype. I played it at a pre-release event in DC (along with Pikmin 3 :argh: whyisn'titareleasetitlenintendo :argh:) and walked away with a bad impression. The utilization of the gamepad for the inventory felt forced to me and the way the camera on screen zooms in on your character prevented you from easily keeping track of your surroundings. I also fell through geometry no less than three times and had to have the machine hardbooted (same with P101, but both of these instances are probably chalked up to pre-release builds). I'm going to have to give it another look once it launches, because the overwhelmingly positive vibe surrounding it is having me second guess writing it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Agrias120 posted:

the way the camera on screen zooms in on your character prevented you from easily keeping track of your surroundings.
I feel like this is done on purpose to add to the Dark Souls-esque difficulty, so I'll be fine with that.

• Locked thread