Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Paul F Tompkins does a couple voices on the new episode of Adventure Time. One that is more or less Cake Boss and one that is more or less Dame Sir ALW. Pretty fun to hear.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The Capm posted:

Paul F Tompkins does a couple voices on the episode of Adventure Time. One that is more or less Cake Boss

Cake Boss

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Woo! Tonight is BJ Novak, Jordan Peele, Keegan Michael Kay, and Wyatt Cenac! That's a hell of a line up.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Is this the first time Scott's had on more than one black person at a time?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Cyber thug episode with James Adomian as ventura had the dude from TV on the Radio, and Craig Robinson. Does that count?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hahaha, listening to this now, had no idea that Key and Peele were going to be playing their Vandaveon and Mike characters. I love those videos they did with these characters on YouTube. Great episode so far.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Are we counting Key and Peele as one total black person, since they're each half black?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I listened to Poehler/Mantzoukas/Adomian again this morning.

1-tomhundred-tomhundred-tom

God damnit Adomian.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
omfg Scott rambling for 3 minutes trying to craft the worst spoken analogy about politics and clowns absolutely killed me.

Now I have to wonder, did he think of that bit or stumble into it and simply use his genius to recognize how funny it was?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Scoobi posted:

omfg Scott rambling for 3 minutes trying to craft the worst spoken analogy about politics and clowns absolutely killed me.

Now I have to wonder, did he think of that bit or stumble into it and simply use his genius to recognize how funny it was?

It's like some sort of circus, big top and such and uhh..

I think he tries to get a bumbling conservative comment in every episode now.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
That politics 'sentence' was amazing, also laughed extremely hard at B.J. Novak's impression of Ron Goldman - "There is no way this is happening to me right now"

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Between the TV show and their few podcast appearances, Key and Peele are incredibly funny. They were absolutely wasted on MAD TV.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Groucho Marxist posted:

Between the TV show and their few podcast appearances, Key and Peele are incredibly funny. They were absolutely wasted on MAD TV.

Yea it's really weird seeing guys I only remember from that lovely show being hilarious.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
MADTV didn't just waste Key and Peele, it seems like they wasted everyone's talent. Patton Oswalt has a good anecdote about his friendship with Artie Lang coming from shared hatred of the show while they were still working on it.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Mad TV made me hate Andy Daly so they are very bad,

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
The best things that have ever come out of MadTV are all the stories of misery happening around it (Artie Lange's drug use, Bobby Lee's drug use, etc etc). I had friends who thought I wasn't cool because I still liked to watch Saturday Night Live, but I always found MadTV detestable. Did anyone honestly find that Stuart character funny, for example?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm a huge sketch show fan, and I watch pretty much any sketch show there is. Even I couldn't stomach Mad TV. It was the worst. How it ran so long is one of those riddles I'll never find the answer to. It ran 14 loving years and I'll be damned if I can remember even ONE classic sketch from it. If you go back and look at the cast lists, the talent wasted on that show is downright phenomenal.

Now mind you, most of these people I only know for awesome things they did after Mad TV.

Phil Lamarr
Orlando Jones
Artie Lange
Nicole Sullivan
Bryan Callen
Alex Borstein
Andy Daly
Taran Killam
Ike Barinholtz
Nicole Parker
Jordan Peele
Keegan Michael Key

There's several others that were wasted as well, but that list right there is filled with wasted comedic talent. How you can have someone like Andy Daly or Taran Killam, who've demonstrated now they can play tons of memorable characters, and not do anything meaningful with them on a sketch show is beyond belief. Daly kills on every podcast he's on and in every bit part you see him in on TV. And Taran, though still early in tenure there, is turning into a big time player on SNL. As a sketch show fanatic nothing frustrates me more than the 14 completely wasted seasons of Mad TV.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Scott's description of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives is stunningly accurate.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

GraPar posted:

That politics 'sentence' was amazing, also laughed extremely hard at B.J. Novak's impression of Ron Goldman - "There is no way this is happening to me right now"

Can you imagine if Kareem Abdul-Jabbar came at you with a pitchfork?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Auritech posted:

The best things that have ever come out of MadTV are all the stories of misery happening around it (Artie Lange's drug use, Bobby Lee's drug use, etc etc). I had friends who thought I wasn't cool because I still liked to watch Saturday Night Live, but I always found MadTV detestable. Did anyone honestly find that Stuart character funny, for example?

I thought Stuart was funny when I was 12 :( Not so funny after being run into the ground for 10+ years. Christ did they have a low standard for catchphrases and recurring characters.

The early seasons have a few skits that are ok, mostly animated stuff and fake commercials, but yea none of it was funnier than Artie Lange going on a coke binge while wearing prosthetic pig makeup.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Getting on a show like MADtv has got to be depressing, you spend so much effort living off of other gigs like standup and suddenly you get the opportunity to have a steady paying job doing what you love, oh but the catch is all the sketches you're in are terrible and you'll do the same characters over and over and make everyone in the world who isn't a complete jackass hate you. At the end you don't even get the acclaim that someone on SNL would either, and you don't either attract attention from it being an under the radar operation (like Mr. Show), you're on the most prominently hated sketch show that will never end but could bring you years of misery.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Bobby Malone posted:

Everything is predetermined, free will doesn't exist, and the concept of improv is a farce.

this isn't where you submit catchphrases!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Galifianakis was on Who Charted this week and hinted pretty heavily that he was also going to be doing CBB :toot:

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Now if only Todd Glass would return his calls. The man's got stuff to promote!

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

piratepilates posted:

Getting on a show like MADtv has got to be depressing, you spend so much effort living off of other gigs like standup and suddenly you get the opportunity to have a steady paying job doing what you love, oh but the catch is all the sketches you're in are terrible and you'll do the same characters over and over and make everyone in the world who isn't a complete jackass hate you. At the end you don't even get the acclaim that someone on SNL would either, and you don't either attract attention from it being an under the radar operation (like Mr. Show), you're on the most prominently hated sketch show that will never end but could bring you years of misery.

and you're a taped show so all your topical skits are going to air 2 months after the event, or else you're way late to the punch with a very bad impersonation(James Lipton)

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

Auritech posted:

Did anyone honestly find that Stuart character funny, for example?

Once. Only once.

The other million times he showed up, not so much.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

As I've heard multiple Mad TV cast members (Key, Peele, Daly) say, unless you were a black or Hispanic teenage boy in middle school, you probably didn't watch Mad TV.

quote:

If you're talented enough, you didn't let Mad TV hold you down. Case in point Key & Peele, Artie Lange, Andy Daly, Phil Lamarr, Taran Killam, Matt Braunger, etc.

I always hoped Will Sasso would become a big star like Will Ferrell. But at least he's always had consistent TV & movie work.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 27, 2012

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

As I've heard multiple Mad TV cast members (Key, Peele, Daly) say, unless you were a black or Hispanic teenage boy in middle school, you probably didn't watch Mad TV.

If you're talented enough, you didn't let Mad TV hold you down. Case in point Key & Peele, Artie Lange, Andy Daly, Phil Lamarr, Taran Killam, Matt Braunger, etc.

I always hoped Will Sasso would become a big star like Will Ferrell. But at least he's always had consistent TV & movie work.

Mo Collins has had a pretty ok career post Mad Tv. I would feel bad for Aries Spears if he wasn't playing theaters all the time.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

There are two (extremely white) women that work in my building who think Stuart is the funniest thing ever.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Looks like tonight it's time to Womp up the Jamz with Rob Corddry!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Deadpool posted:

I'm a huge sketch show fan, and I watch pretty much any sketch show there is.

If you've never dipped your toe into the pond that is UK sketch comedy, I can probably give you some pointers to good stuff. I'm pretty negative about the state of televised UK comedy as a whole, but the 80s/90s had some amazing sketch stuff you might not be aware of.

(ie 'Smack The Pony' which is just unreal good, and it's all by ladies too and is therefore my 'go to' answer whenever anyone moans about unfunny ladies.)

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Brasseye is the best British sketch show

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Man, Jessica St. Clair has to be one of my favourite guests. Every episode she's on is a laugh riot. WOMP IT UP :woop:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only thing is they just keep teasing a Womp Up The Jamz Wompcast and each time there's more to it to make me think it's actually going to happen, at least as a one off, and yet it never does. :(

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

She's too busy doing Marshall's commercials to do a regular podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjP9txnRx6o

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Eltoasto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjP9txnRx6o

She should be too busy being on a funny NBC sitcom. But nobody watched it... :(

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
That was a fantastic game of Would You Rather.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

I'LL WHIP THESE TITS OUT

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

And after that, she's going to Houston's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

JayMax posted:

That was a fantastic game of Would You Rather.

I concur. It was the best.