Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

caberham posted:

This sounds really awesome. I'm stuck swapping multiple batteries and running on slow poke 2G. Got any more pointers or guidelines?
My battery saving efforts have been:
- Set CPU range to 230MHz to 1.6GHz with the ondemand scheduler. Set a profile to underclock (230-729MHz) from 12am-6am. The OMAP 4460 happily OCs to 1.6 and would probably be fine at 1.8.
- Installed Juice Defender with basic options
- Use Bedside Mode at night.

But even without that stuff I think the franco kernel seems to have really great performance and battery life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

rotaryfun posted:

This makes me really sad. I guess with Verizon you just have to realize that updates are most likely just not going to happen.

Just have to keep my Verizon Nexus rooted and updated with something else.

Be really sad no longer.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
I've been running CM10 (Milestone 1) on my Sprint SGS3 for a couple weeks now, and it's been great except for one issue. On the majority of calls, even with the in-call volume turned down as low as it can go it's still way too loud. Sometimes I can just hold the speaker a couple inches away from my ear and it's okay, other times it's like I've got speakerphone turned on with the volume turned up to 11. Has anyone else experienced this? And, more importantly, any suggestions on how to fix it?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

I typed that out then when into the android phone thread and immediately smiled. It's not available for my phone yet so I guess it's just another waiting game.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Since school has frankly left me without time to play around with titanium and ROM manager, if I want to get on JB on my VZW GNex this way, what steps do I need to take?

I flashed new radios, do I have to roll them back?
Do I just need OTA root keeper to stay rooted after the update applies?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

WebDO posted:

Do I just need OTA root keeper to stay rooted after the update applies?

I believe you have to go back to stock.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

UGH, I tried this before and it never worked. Now I realize was because of Lenovo software and also miniport wifi was disabled. Workin like a champ now, thanks! I guess I didn't *need* to root to get this funcationality. Still glad I did :)

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

rotaryfun posted:

I believe you have to go back to stock.

I'm on the stock ROM, do you mean the radios too?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I flashed Codename Android last night for my GSM Nexus S, with the "Matr1x" Kernel (as an aside, are all XDA devs 16-year old l33t haxxorz?) and I've been having a bit of an odd issue. It seems my phone won't receive SMS messages without me sending on first. I have spotty reception in the basement in which I dwell, but I do sometimes get a signal. Whereas before I'd get a flood of messages as soon as the signal is there, now I get a flood of messages when I send my own texts. Any ideas on why that might be?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
What's the ease of rooting for the AT&T Galaxy S III? I'm considering upgrading to one soon.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Syrinxx posted:

Don't listen to those retards. Jelly Bean (4.1.x) on the 1st gen Kindle Fire is awesome. Hashcode is maintaining a CM10 port for the device which is probably your best bet: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1591850

I installed this and I'm liking it so far but there's one thing about it that just bugs the poo poo out of me (maybe irrationally so) to the point that I'm thinking about putting Gingerbread back on it even though it gave me a shitload of problems. The problem is:

Apps will rotate but the "desktop" will not. The "desktop" seems to be stuck in portrait mode and I can't figure out how to change it. If I can't get it to do landscape mode then it seems like there's no point to it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Try installing another launcher, like Apex or Nova.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

...! posted:

I installed this and I'm liking it so far but there's one thing about it that just bugs the poo poo out of me (maybe irrationally so) to the point that I'm thinking about putting Gingerbread back on it even though it gave me a shitload of problems. The problem is:

Apps will rotate but the "desktop" will not. The "desktop" seems to be stuck in portrait mode and I can't figure out how to change it. If I can't get it to do landscape mode then it seems like there's no point to it.

Enable rotation in the launcher and if you don't have the option, use a launcher that does.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Unless I'm missing something, the Kindle for Android app will only read things I've bought from Amazon and not things that I've copied over to the device. Is there some setting I'm missing or something? All the other readers on the Play store are horrific.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
No that's correct. Just grab Aldiko.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Aldiko doesn't do MOBI.

Edit: I swear I looked all through the options for the launcher's screen mode before I posted about it and now when I look again the setting's there. :downs:

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Install Gentoo posted:

What's the ease of rooting for the AT&T Galaxy S III? I'm considering upgrading to one soon.

Trivial. I had mine rooted and upgraded to JB within 2 hours of buying it.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Coming from the iPhone 4S, I was considering rooting, but the Galaxy S3 I picked up today does almost everything I could imagine. Apart from quicker releases of OS versions, are there a lot of benefits?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

hunter x az posted:

Coming from the iPhone 4S, I was considering rooting, but the Galaxy S3 I picked up today does almost everything I could imagine. Apart from quicker releases of OS versions, are there a lot of benefits?

There are reasons, but really not many.

Easier backups (Titanium Backup app), but apparently ICS/JB both have backups built in via ADB now so that's less important. There's also SetCPU that lets you underclock and overclock your CPU with profiles. You can change some settings that the manufacturer or your carrier don't want you to change (for instance some phones used to have the ability to install apps from non-market sources disabled). You can also customize a lot more when you're rooted.

The main thing is faster updates, since Jelly Bean is already available if you're unlocked.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

LastInLine posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what differences does it have over stock exactly?

I'm trying out CM10 and it's alright but I wouldn't mind something closer to stock if I can get the few features I really like that CM has. Edit: Actually Apollo just got gapless playback in the lastest nightly. Maybe I'll stick around for a while since I really hate the Jelly Bean Play Music app anyway.

Apollo is getting updates still?

The only issue I've had with it is that it doesn't do album art right.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I think one of the biggest reasons to root is AdAway or similar ad blocking, until we get extensions in the major browsers we're stuck with host file modifications that require root. But yeah there's really not a huge need to do anything except root on an S3, CM10 doesn't add a whole lot right now.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Is there an easy way to disable UMTS1700 on my GNexus? The map is showing some 1900Mhz hits in my area and I'm curious.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Kind of been lost in the other posts: aside from installing OTA rootkeeper on my unlocked/rooted VZW Gnex, do I have to roll back my radios to the 4.0.4 version to install the OTA update? Is there anything else I have to do?

E: Alternately, could I just flash this to get to stock VZW JB without screwing with my radios/OTA rootkeeper/etc?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1763823

WebDO fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 23, 2012

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

God drat has anyone figured out a way around the new YouTube ads yet? AdAway isn't helping. I don't have a problem with one at the start of a video sometimes but it's ridiculous when I pause a video for 30 seconds and instead of resuming it kicks me back to an ad. And it's always the exact same ad. Trying to watch a 15 minute video I've had to see the same car ad 4 times due to needing to pause. And on top of that it doesn't even save my video position, it kicks me back to the start and I have to manually seek to where I was. Perfect example of why basically everyone uses AdBlock.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Are there any detailed battery info apps? Stuff that shows original design capacity, current capacity, load cycles, etc?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

DemonMage posted:

God drat has anyone figured out a way around the new YouTube ads yet? AdAway isn't helping. I don't have a problem with one at the start of a video sometimes but it's ridiculous when I pause a video for 30 seconds and instead of resuming it kicks me back to an ad. And it's always the exact same ad. Trying to watch a 15 minute video I've had to see the same car ad 4 times due to needing to pause. And on top of that it doesn't even save my video position, it kicks me back to the start and I have to manually seek to where I was. Perfect example of why basically everyone uses AdBlock.

I've been using easylist for regular Adblock in adfree and I never get YouTube ads.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!
I usually copy my nandroid backups over to my computer but I've been having some issues trying to do it on my Galaxy Nexus with 6.0.1.0 of CWM Recovery installed. It looks like the clockworkmod folder has ~15000 files in it which makes the USB transfer absolutely crap itself by a) taking ages to calculate the size/transfer time and b) taking ages to actually transfer anything. I'm using the MTP USB mode since PTP didn't show any directories in Windows other than the camera specific folders. I don't recall having this issue in the past but that was before Recovery went to this incremental backup with version 6. Any tips or suggestions on how I can get that backup over in a reasonable manner?

And if it means flashing an older version of recovery, where exactly could I even get an older version of the CWM Recovery image for my phone (VZW Gnex)?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fiki posted:

I usually copy my nandroid backups over to my computer but I've been having some issues trying to do it on my Galaxy Nexus with 6.0.1.0 of CWM Recovery installed. It looks like the clockworkmod folder has ~15000 files in it which makes the USB transfer absolutely crap itself by a) taking ages to calculate the size/transfer time and b) taking ages to actually transfer anything. I'm using the MTP USB mode since PTP didn't show any directories in Windows other than the camera specific folders. I don't recall having this issue in the past but that was before Recovery went to this incremental backup with version 6. Any tips or suggestions on how I can get that backup over in a reasonable manner?

And if it means flashing an older version of recovery, where exactly could I even get an older version of the CWM Recovery image for my phone (VZW Gnex)?
Either use something like AirDroid or copy to a network share with a file browser.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Is anyone running JB on a i9100? If so is it just due to the kludgey nature of JB on here right now that means my mobile signal is absolute arse or is it just me suffering from this?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Xenomorph posted:

Are there any detailed battery info apps? Stuff that shows original design capacity, current capacity, load cycles, etc?
I use Battery Monitor Widget Pro. Has all kinds of details and you can set up stats for more than one battery if you have an extended one.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.bmw.pro

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

hunter x az posted:

In the Android universe there is "rooted" and "unlocked."

Rooted means you have root access to your device, regardless of the OS version or distribution. Rooting allows you to install some applications that require greater permissions than are normally offered. This includes things like TitaniumBackup and tools to gently caress with the kernel or other settings. Rooting can frequently make it possible to install a customer recovery, allowing you to unlock your phone.

Unlocked means you have taken the restrictions off the booloader or recovery and can install any distribution or OS version that is available. This allows you to install custom ROMs and upgrade your phone faster than the official release channel.

So, you can have an otherwise stock phone that is rooted. This is very common. I would recommend you consider rooting just for TitaniumBackup because I find it very helpful. The unlocking and custom ROM poo poo I wouldn't worry about unless you have a specific need, although JB is pretty awesome.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Syrinxx posted:

I use Battery Monitor Widget Pro. Has all kinds of details and you can set up stats for more than one battery if you have an extended one.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.bmw.pro

I didn't see anywhere in that program where it read stats & info direct from the battery (not the OS).

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Hello rooted Android thread. I haven't posted in you for awhile because quite frankly going through the hassle of rooting/ROM'ing/etc annoys the piss out of me. I'm too old to be loving with this poo poo. But here I am again because Google hosed my poor phone up with it's OTA (GSM NS JB).

So after countless ROM's I finally found one that the phone is happy with and I'm content (with minimal fuckery). But I still have a problem. This ROM's name is "euroskank". That's a phrase that exists. What happened to the horrible but acceptable 1337 speak ROM's from years past? What was wrong with ZoMgSUPERFASTg00gl3z 1.34? I have to say "euroskank" out loud now.

:smith:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 25, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Hello rooted Android thread. I haven't posted in you for awhile because quite frankly going through the hassle of rooting/ROM'ing/etc annoys the piss out of me. I'm too old to be loving with this poo poo. But here I am again because Google hosed my poor phone up with it's OTA (GSM NS JB).

So after countless ROM's I finally found one that the phone is happy with and I'm content (with minimal fuckery). But I still have a problem. This ROM's name is "euroskank". That's a phrase that exists. What happened to the horrible but acceptable 1337 speak ROM's from years past? What was wrong with ZoMgSUPERFASTg00gl3z 1.34? I have to say "euroskank" out loud now.

Euroskank is the team, JellyBro is the ROM. Before that it was Ice Cream Skankwich and before that it was Gigglebread.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

LastInLine posted:

Euroskank is the team, JellyBro is the ROM. Before that it was Ice Cream Skankwich and before that it was Gigglebread.

All of these names make me cringe.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ninmeister posted:

All of these names make me cringe.
That is a healthy reaction.

To be fair all they do is CM builds with future commits included and they do contribute back to CM when those future commits are broken so they're actually some of the good guys. I ran fitsnugly's builds on my Nexus One all the time.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

LastInLine posted:

Okay, I laughed a little at Gigglebread.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Don't forget to download your gapps for your ROM from the gooinside.me website!!!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Euroskank builds are loving awesome, lovely names aside. For instance, the Euroskank CM10 builds have a center clock option for the status bar - which is missing in the official CM10 builds, as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I just updated to the latest CM10 nightly on an SGS3, previously using one from earlier in the month.

I cannot find the Cyanogenmod Statistics program to uninstall it. Previously it has been listed in Titanium Backup's list of apps and been easy to remove. It is not listed there, or in ROM Toolbox Pro's list. I can't see it in /system/app, either. Where is it??