Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

jamal posted:

Depends on the engine you get. If it's twin-scroll and dual avcs your downpipe won't work and you will have to replace most of the wiring harness.

The single scroll, single avcs stuff is easier. everything bolts up and you only need to add a few wires for the avcs to work (you do need the ecu to go along with it.

The one thing you will run into is that the jdm cars don't have odb2 so if you are in a state that does emissions testing you won't be able to do it.

How are people flashing these things then? Do they have an odb2 port that never gives a ready signal or something?

Edit: Seems that the older JDM ecu's don't work, but the v8 ones will
Edit2: No thats wrong. I think what people mean by this is they use the USDM ecu and tune it so it runs...
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2385141&highlight=ej207

And of course in searching for this I think I have found all my answers.
Everything works except for the downpipe, and the odb2 port. But you can run the old ecu to get smogged, you just can't use avcs. Since my emissions is an odb2 scan and visual for a cat, this will work fine.

Just need to find a reputable vendor and get one on its way.

blindjoe fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well there is still a port and you can still flash them using opensource stuff. I know some guys that have jdm ecus that have been tuned. They just don't use the odb protocol or something like that so when a smog check comes in it doesn't work right.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef

Amandyke posted:

A very correct statement if what you say here is true of your driving style. If you weren't interested in performance, why would you spend so much money on a rally bred awd turbo charged sports car?

Seriously. Who owns a STi and only boosts when they are going uphill? Hell I hit 6k rpm on highway onramps just for grins.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

poo poo, I hit 6k all the time with my slow rear end stock NA Forester just because.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Billy Tully posted:

poo poo, I hit 6k all the time with my slow rear end stock NA Forester just because.
I rode the rev limiter like a pony this morning on the 97.

You gotta thrash 'em or they won't respect you.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Billy Tully posted:

I shift at 4k and ride the torque like a diesel. :3:

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Amandyke posted:

A very correct statement if what you say here is true of your driving style. If you weren't interested in performance, why would you spend so much money on a rally bred awd turbo charged sports car?

I have done a couple autocrosses and intend to do more. Still no launches even during autocross or really hard driving otherwise though, and even at autocross there was never more than a single 1-2 shift.

And I will never buy a Camry. My previous statements were made in a moment of weakness.

To make it up I will turn on FFS and hold the gas down all the way home from work :v:

THE BLACK NINJA fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 20, 2012

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
CEL came on throwing the following codes:

P0303: Cylinder 3 Three Misfire Detected
P0000: meaningless as far as I can tell
C0105: Rear ABS wheel speed sensor RH malfunction (ABS wheel speed sensor abnormal signal)
C0106: Rear ABS wheel speed sensor LH malfunction (ABS wheel speed sensor abnormal signal)

ABS light is off.

I'm most concerned about the misfire. What can I do to try and remedy this on my own before bringing it to a shop? It sounds like there could be multiple culprits: spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel injectors, coil packs, timing belt, some issue w/ air intake, serious engine problem, and probably others.

Car is an '05 LGT w/ ~96k miles. Plugs were replaced w/ OEM plugs around 24k miles ago. 31k miles since the air filter was replaced. Timing belt hasn't been done yet (due @ 105k).

Any ideas with the ABS codes?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Sockington posted:

Yea that's what I do most of the time but I like the manly growl of the engine every once in a while.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
If you install a WRX hood intake on a N/A car, you get a larger growl increase from 3000-3500.

tayLOVE
Jan 23, 2007
okay: just bought a forester xt.

The previous owner didn't like the 4" fart can that came with the car when she bought it, so she put on a 1" nissan muffler. go figure. I don't like either of them, so the question is: what are some good alternatives to throwing a stock exhaust back on the car? Any systems out there that give you the nice growl without the ostentatious look?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Guys guys guys

Tokico is having a sale of up to 70% off their struts.

I got some HTS's for my legacy daily driver for a little over 300 instead of 1k+.

http://www.tokicoperformanceshocks.com/p-16-shock-kit-hts-series-tohts005.aspx

I was just going to throw GR2's at it, but if I can get some nice adjustables for the same price gently caress yeah.

Now if They would mark down my right rear for the RS so I could replace the loving clunking one.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

tayLOVE posted:

The previous owner didn't like the 4" fart can that came with the car when she bought it, so she put on a 1" nissan muffler. go figure. I don't like either of them, so the question is: what are some good alternatives to throwing a stock exhaust back on the car? Any systems out there that give you the nice growl without the ostentatious look?

Anything for the wrx/sti fits if you get longer hangers so there are A LOT of options. The Cobb catback is really nice. The Invidia q300 would probably be my 2nd choice. The cobb has a flange that fits the stock downpipe while the invidia is full 3" and also I have a wholesale account with that site so I can match or beat their pricing.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

tayLOVE posted:

I rather like my Borla Hush as well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I was planning on doing a 3" to 2.5" catted downpipe and putting a Maddad Whisper on the back end to make for a quiet but fairly meaty exhaust.

Just need to find a relatively affordable downpipe like that; the Rocket Rally one was quoted to me at $700. :eek:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Invidia is probably your best bet. Just under 500, but 3" flat flange outlet. The Cobb is another $100 but has a donut flange. Doesn't the Maddad have a 3" flange?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You can get it in 3" or 2.5", one of the nice things about Maddad's cornucopia of stuff.

The Rocket one is nice but I've seen a few with broken welds over time so I might end up with an Invidia or something. 3" outlet probably is quieter than I'm giving it credit for.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Sockington posted:

Can you explain what this means?

Also with winter on the horizon and this being my first winter with AWD and manual trans, how should I drive? What do I do if I lose traction/spin/etc? Do I downshift? Leave it in gear?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Totally TWISTED posted:

Also with winter on the horizon and this being my first winter with AWD and manual trans, how should I drive?
Aggressively. Go to a parking lot, do some donuts, get used to letting the car get loose and catching it. This is generally what you want to do in any car, and Subarus will let you hang the rear end out like a rally driver by just mashing the throttle, quickly lifting and countersteering to compensate for the slide.

When you're actually on the street, just drive it like any other car. Smooth inputs at all times, leave plenty of extra following room and be aware that other drivers are, as before, your primary threat. Your biggest advantages now come in terms of being able to accelerate quickly and being able to engine brake slightly more effectively, and you want to try and opt for situations in traffic where you can do these things if need be (imagine you are a motorcyclist). Your braking and turning is still limited by the same factors as every other car (albeit with the ability to do RWD-style power oversteer).

quote:

What do I do if I lose traction/spin/etc? Do I downshift?
You generally don't want to do any shifting if you think you might lose traction (a bad downshift can potentially 'lock' the wheels, and upsets the weight balance). I tend to run a gear higher than normal when it's icy/snowy out just to reduce the potential torque I put down to the ground.

If it's really icy where you're starting from, try to start in second gear for the same reason.

quote:

Leave it in gear?
Engine braking will help you (more than in a 2WD car). If things are going really wrong, two feet in is generally your best idea, but there's a pretty big gap between "this is fun" and "there is absolutely nothing I can do at this point to avoid crashing."

Quickly lifting your foot off the gas upsets the car's balance as well, and this is part of the "smooth inputs" bit that I was mentioning up above. I wouldn't be surprised if a sudden jerky lift were the precursor to a lot of crashes in winter.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 20, 2012

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Awesome, thanks for all the :words: and wisdom.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If it's really icy where you're starting from, try to start in second gear for the same reason.

Why not go for a record reported speed while still at a standstill?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Amandyke posted:

Why not go for a record reported speed while still at a standstill?
Maybe in Godless Heathen California this sounds like fun but here on ice you still go, you just go sideways in a weird crabwalk pattern.

With an open-diff FWD car on bald all-seasons you just basically sit there and howl a hole into the ice while your red-hot exhaust header warms the snow, which immediately becomes ice. Then someone else comes by and tries to stop at the light...

Last year I sat at a four way stop for an hour as everyone in every direction made a sad howl, spun one wheel and ruined what little grip remained. A guy in front of me decided to do a u-turn over a snow-covered Jersey barrier rather than wait and left part of his Escalade driveshaft and a poo poo ton of tranny oil behind.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 20, 2012

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So I got the new engine in today that kastein and I pulled from his local junkyard. $180 for the engine and $50 for the warranty that I wont need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAuoG-yovyE

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003
I am doing a track day in October at Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI. I have a stock 2012 WRX STI and I am would like a recommendation on some upgraded brake pads and brake fluid.

I was thinking performance friction 6's and some ATE super blue fluid.

Any thoughts?

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Took a picture of my new Legacy GT.

First things first, getting rid of those lovely plate brackets. Then, Rota G-Force in 17x8, and taking the advice on the Sumitomos in 235/45 or 245/40 (which would be closer to stock?)

Down the road, maybe a Cobb AP and downpipe, but for right now it's stock. The seat heaters and auto climate work great, shifter and clutch are crisp and so far I've been getting 26mpg combined. Pretty good. I figure the low price is because the PO had a dog and a lot of the interior trim in the back seat is covered in claw marks. But I don't give a drat, this car is awesome!

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Where do people shop for wheels? Tirerack is limited and any online searching turns up nothing but garbage.

I am considering new wheels for snow tires. Tire rack says I can go to some 17 inch wheels. Is the snow performance of the smaller wheel and larger sidewall (millimeters!) over just buying snows for my current BBS wheels worth if? Do any 16" wheels clear the brembos?

Do cheap wheels ever just break? Like a cheap motegi wheel.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Where do people shop for wheels? Tirerack is limited and any online searching turns up nothing but garbage.

I am considering new wheels for snow tires. Tire rack says I can go to some 17 inch wheels. Is the snow performance of the smaller wheel and larger sidewall (millimeters!) over just buying snows for my current BBS wheels worth if? Do any 16" wheels clear the brembos?

Do cheap wheels ever just break? Like a cheap motegi wheel.

jamal sells wheels...

tayLOVE
Jan 23, 2007

jamal posted:

Anything for the wrx/sti fits if you get longer hangers so there are A LOT of options. The Cobb catback is really nice. The Invidia q300 would probably be my 2nd choice. The cobb has a flange that fits the stock downpipe while the invidia is full 3" and also I have a wholesale account with that site so I can match or beat their pricing.

Excellent, thanks. I'll drop you a line when I can get some money together.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Planning on changing my oil tomorrow in my 06 WRX. Probably going to use the Rotella 5w30 synthetic, but any recommendations on a filter I can get at a normal auto shop? Trying to avoid driving really far to the Subaru dealership.

This is my first time changing the oil on this car but I've done it on various other cars before, so anything to watch out for? Do you guys usually replace the crush washer or just stick it back in?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Iron Lung posted:

Planning on changing my oil tomorrow in my 06 WRX. Probably going to use the Rotella 5w30 synthetic, but any recommendations on a filter I can get at a normal auto shop? Trying to avoid driving really far to the Subaru dealership.

This is my first time changing the oil on this car but I've done it on various other cars before, so anything to watch out for? Do you guys usually replace the crush washer or just stick it back in?

Do you have a pepboys nearby? I do quite enjoy my purolator one's.

Markadopolus
Sep 19, 2012
Oh, Hi Jamal.

My passenger side valve cover is leaking oil onto my up pipe.

Come back and fix it for me?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Amandyke posted:

The Napa filters here are identical to Purolators, I heard.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Totally TWISTED posted:

Also with winter on the horizon and this being my first winter with AWD and manual trans, how should I drive? What do I do if I lose traction/spin/etc? Do I downshift? Leave it in gear?

One big thing to remember with AWD and ice/snow is that it's all wheel drive, not all wheel stop, so don't think that AWD will magically let you corner or stop faster than you'd normally be able to.

Depending on how cold it gets where you are, you might find that the shifter feels a little sluggish to move until the fluid in the transmission warms up enough to thin out a bit (which only takes a couple minutes of driving), so don't try and brute force the shifts if that happens.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

azflyboy posted:

One big thing to remember with AWD and ice/snow is that it's all wheel drive, not all wheel stop, so don't think that AWD will magically let you corner or stop faster than you'd normally be able to.

Depending on how cold it gets where you are, you might find that the shifter feels a little sluggish to move until the fluid in the transmission warms up enough to thin out a bit (which only takes a couple minutes of driving), so don't try and brute force the shifts if that happens.

Good point to keep in mind. I live in Tennessee (and not on the plateau or mountains) so getting to 25F is about the worst it's likely to get and that will be a rare occasion. I do want to try and give myself more time before work/etc to warm the car up before banging through the gears though.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Amandyke posted:

I do, and an Oreilly's. I've read about those and they seem popular. If I cant find the Shell Rotella oil, what are the best backups?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Walmart carries rotella t and purolator filters. I figured I was going to have to get the oil at walmart and then go somewhere else for the filter last time and was pleasantly surprised. They don't have the nice gold filters but it's better than fram. Otherwise the napa filters are good.

Markadopolous it's easy if you can find someone with small hands. Miss you guys.

(((k)))
Jun 30, 2003

Splinter posted:

The common routine here is swap the coil packs on that side and see if the misfire follows. Next step would be injectors on that side. Cylinder 3 is passenger side closest to the cabin. Being right near the turbo I see so many more issues in the area from the heat wearing stuff out faster; CV boot, valve cover gaskets, etc. Hopefully that narrows it down, if not, leak down test.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Totally TWISTED posted:

Good point to keep in mind. I live in Tennessee (and not on the plateau or mountains) so getting to 25F is about the worst it's likely to get and that will be a rare occasion. I do want to try and give myself more time before work/etc to warm the car up before banging through the gears though.

At that temperature, I don't think you'll run into issues with the transmission being sluggish. If you're trying to warm up the car, the best way to do it is to just drive it normally, since that'll warm up the various fluids much faster than sitting at idle.

My experience is from living in North Dakota, and my Forester only got a sluggish transmission once the temperatures were around -10 or so.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Splinter posted:

P0000: meaningless as far as I can tell
C0105: Rear ABS wheel speed sensor RH malfunction (ABS wheel speed sensor abnormal signal)
C0106: Rear ABS wheel speed sensor LH malfunction (ABS wheel speed sensor abnormal signal)

ABS light is off.

I'm most concerned about the misfire. What can I do to try and remedy this on my own before bringing it to a shop? It sounds like there could be multiple culprits: spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel injectors, coil packs, timing belt, some issue w/ air intake, serious engine problem, and probably others.

Car is an '05 LGT w/ ~96k miles. Plugs were replaced w/ OEM plugs around 24k miles ago. 31k miles since the air filter was replaced. Timing belt hasn't been done yet (due @ 105k).

Any ideas with the ABS codes?

Those are a big bunch of random codes to be getting together. Usually when I see a misfire it is from a bad injector or a cracked ringland. But getting a bunch at the same time is usually a ground or wiring issue. Getting the rear wheel sensor codes makes me thing you should look into that. Not with the sensors but with the wiring that goes there. I'll poke around the FSM and see if I can figure out the best place to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

jamal posted:

Walmart carries rotella t and purolator filters. I figured I was going to have to get the oil at walmart and then go somewhere else for the filter last time and was pleasantly surprised. They don't have the nice gold filters but it's better than fram. Otherwise the napa filters are good.

Markadopolous it's easy if you can find someone with small hands. Miss you guys.

Picked up both at Pep Boys, now I have an extra 3 quarts of oil since it only comes in gallon jugs! I also ended up replacing my air filter because it was filthy. I ended up with a Fram because it was there, but should I try to pick up a better quality/subaru OEM one? It was $10 so I'm more than fine picking up a new one in the next few months if they're terrible.