Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man, these mexicans speak terrible spanish. Like, seriously bad spanish. It's actually kind of insulting.
When do I get access to my Explosive Rifle? I figure the GOTY edition had all the DLC and I keep seeing Explosive Ammo for sale but no rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Calaveron posted:

Man, these mexicans speak terrible spanish. Like, seriously bad spanish. It's actually kind of insulting.
When do I get access to my Explosive Rifle? I figure the GOTY edition had all the DLC and I keep seeing Explosive Ammo for sale but no rifle.

Pretty sure the rifle is on sale in Blackwater, but maybe it's in an earlier town as well, that's just where I hung out playing poker until I could afford the thing. If you want to try it out earlier, you get it really early in a quest in Undead Nightmare.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
It's $10,000 in Blackwater, $5000 if you have some amount of honor (can't remember which level) and $2500 with the savvy merchant outfit. Tough to afford in any case if you're playing hardcore mode.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Philip J Fry posted:

It's $10,000 in Blackwater, $5000 if you have some amount of honor (can't remember which level) and $2500 with the savvy merchant outfit. Tough to afford in any case if you're playing hardcore mode.

poo poo, for real? I've been saving money like crazy and been doing every single Stranger mission and oddjob and I've barely passed the $1000 line. I've already "paid" for that bit of DLC, just give it to me :mad:

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Just get the expert hunter outfit ASAP and head to Tall Trees, then go sell everything in Mexico with the merchant outfit. Also, sell off the hidden gold bars and legendary animal parts (skin them with the hunter outfit for double parts on a few of them.) You can also double your on-hand amount of cash by purposely losing over and over to the guy shooting vultures, then winning on your last bet.

In normal mode I always had tons of cash but hardcore is tough and gives a much better sense of accomplishment.

e: The lowest you can get the War Horse deed for is $5000.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 21, 2012

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Philip J Fry posted:

Just get the expert hunter outfit ASAP and head to Tall Trees, then go sell everything in Mexico with the merchant outfit. Also, sell off the hidden gold bars and legendary animal parts (skin them with the hunter outfit for double parts on a few of them.) You can also double your on-hand amount of cash by purposely losing over and over to the guy shooting vultures, then winning on your last bet.

In normal mode I always had tons of cash but hardcore is tough and gives a much better sense of accomplishment.

e: The lowest you can get the War Horse deed for is $5000.

Weird, when I loaded up my old save from when I borrowed the basic game after getting the GOTY edition, I automatically had the War Horse deed in my inventory, and when I started a new game I got the War Horse instead of the Kentucky Saddler in the early mission with Bonnie.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yeah, if you have the War Horse DLC, the deed should be in your inventory from the start of the game. I haven't seen any shops selling it, although I haven't really looked too closely either. (Edit: Ah, so there's an actual, separate "Hardcore Mode" in the GOTY edition. Didn't realize that until now :downs:) I still get the Kentucky Saddler from that Bonnie mission, though, maybe it works differently in the GOTY edition? I just have the regular edition and the DLC.

I wish they'd make the tomahawk and the explosive rifle available as separate DLC so I could finally try those out. I'm not too interested in multiplayer, so buying the Legends & Killers and Liars & Cheats packs for 800 MSP apiece really wouldn't be worth it just for a couple of new weapons.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 22, 2012

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

One of the quickest ways to get money, I found, is:

- Go north
- Kill north specific animals (the snowier the area, the better)
- After purging the planet of said species, go to Mexico
- Sell dead northern animals

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Buffalo parts are especially lucrative in Mexico. Makes sense, since there's a limited number of 'em. If you see that herd, go hog wild.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I was trying out the drunkenness cheat, stumbling around Escalera when some guy challenged me to a duel. Of course I accepted, and when I got into position I noticed that Marston was facing to the side and away from the guy. This made the aiming all wonky and I just barely managed to win the duel (Marston somehow managing to hit him despite shooting in the completely wrong direction), after which I stumbled forward, tripped on the guy's corpse and faceplanted right next to him.

Drunk dueling is the best dueling. :clint::respek::cheers:

e: goddammit where is my Obscuridad del Santo Andres, I'm almost done with Mexico and I still haven't seen any sign of the drat thing.

e2: gently caress Liar's Dice. I've been trying to get the achievement for winning a game without losing a die, but every single time I play I lose one at the end for some stupid reason. :bahgawd:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 23, 2012

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

e2: gently caress Liar's Dice. I've been trying to get the achievement for winning a game without losing a die, but every single time I play I lose one at the end for some stupid reason. :bahgawd:

There are a whole bunch of multiplayer achievements that are better off just cheesing with a friend. You can even do most of them in a private freeroam with just you and a buddy. Start a game of dice and just lose to each other so you both get it. Yeah it's silly, but eh achievements. I'm just shy of 1400 and I know I'll never get some of the rest, despite being so drat close.

The achievement for winning a hand of poker on the last card when you were losing previously is horrifically random. I was trying to boost that one with a friend, who needed it also, and I got it on the first hand by sheer luck, but she couldn't get it in over an hour of play (broken up into several sessions). Even knowing how to play poker, and folding when you know which games don't even have a chance of it happening, it's still entirely luck based which is bullshit for an achievement.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

gently caress Liar's Dice. I've been trying to get the achievement for winning a game without losing a die, but every single time I play I lose one at the end for some stupid reason. :bahgawd:
I got that one completely by chance playing against a bunch of Brits late at night that had just installed it since it's free for them on PSN+. When the game finished I hadn't even realized I had swept the table. Felt good.
:smugdog::pipe:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

isk posted:

Buffalo parts are especially lucrative in Mexico. Makes sense, since there's a limited number of 'em. If you see that herd, go hog wild.

Beavers and bears are worth a lot in Mexico too.

I really wish this game had a PC port, each time I get a hankerin' I boot up my 360 and get fed up with the controls in 15 minutes :qq:
e: I guess my complain with the controls stems from my not being able to use a controller after switching to the PC for so long. I really like the way the game itself handles, it's just difficult for me to give up a mouse.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 2, 2012

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
The only gripe I've ever ever had with RDR controls was trying to get into a thin-rear end doorway while jogging/running, and constantly curving past it a couple of times. But other than that, it's amazingly responsive and with few issues for a Rockstar game, which says a whole drat lot.

Also, after playing a week straight of Borderlands 2, RDR looks amazingly realistic. I was seriously jarred when I jumped into multiplayer for a second the other day. :staredog:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

There are a whole bunch of multiplayer achievements that are better off just cheesing with a friend. You can even do most of them in a private freeroam with just you and a buddy. Start a game of dice and just lose to each other so you both get it. Yeah it's silly, but eh achievements. I'm just shy of 1400 and I know I'll never get some of the rest, despite being so drat close.

The achievement for winning a hand of poker on the last card when you were losing previously is horrifically random. I was trying to boost that one with a friend, who needed it also, and I got it on the first hand by sheer luck, but she couldn't get it in over an hour of play (broken up into several sessions). Even knowing how to play poker, and folding when you know which games don't even have a chance of it happening, it's still entirely luck based which is bullshit for an achievement.

Speaking of cheesing, would anyone on PS3 be interested in helpin' ol' DangerKat out with The Quick and Everyone Else trophy? It's the only multiplayer one I have left and some big old meanie head always comes in and ruins my chances by being good and actually aiming :(

My PSN is DangerKat5000

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
I'm replaying the game and this happened twice yesterday and always at the worst times. Sometimes I'll hit the wrong button to zoom in/out on the minimap and hit the horse whistle button. Sometimes the horse bucks me for no apparent reason and Marston just runs in one direction. No way to stop him, tried smashing all buttons, pausing, resuming. Nothing. He just runs and runs and runs. It pisses me off because I had about 50 wolves stacked up and the remaining ones gnawed on my face since I couldn't defend myself.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Sean_Miller posted:

I'm replaying the game and this happened twice yesterday and always at the worst times. Sometimes I'll hit the wrong button to zoom in/out on the minimap and hit the horse whistle button. Sometimes the horse bucks me for no apparent reason and Marston just runs in one direction. No way to stop him, tried smashing all buttons, pausing, resuming. Nothing. He just runs and runs and runs. It pisses me off because I had about 50 wolves stacked up and the remaining ones gnawed on my face since I couldn't defend myself.

I've only gotten the running bug once but I'd frequently pick an herb/skin an animal and be totally unable to move after the animation finished. Really frustrating, especially if you have to reload and lose a lot of unsaved progress.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Morter posted:

The only gripe I've ever ever had with RDR controls was trying to get into a thin-rear end doorway while jogging/running, and constantly curving past it a couple of times. But other than that, it's amazingly responsive and with few issues for a Rockstar game, which says a whole drat lot.

Also, after playing a week straight of Borderlands 2, RDR looks amazingly realistic. I was seriously jarred when I jumped into multiplayer for a second the other day. :staredog:
The shooting controls are, hands down, the best for a Rockstar game but you're right, the physics poo poo they use causes some mishaps. I've been killed a few times yelling "go in the door DAMMIT!"

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
If say I were to get an xbl gold subscription would I still find people to play with online?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

DangerKat posted:

Speaking of cheesing, would anyone on PS3 be interested in helpin' ol' DangerKat out with The Quick and Everyone Else trophy? It's the only multiplayer one I have left and some big old meanie head always comes in and ruins my chances by being good and actually aiming :(

My PSN is DangerKat5000

Are you still trying to do this? I can probably peel myself away from BL2 to help out.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Anti-Hero posted:

If say I were to get an xbl gold subscription would I still find people to play with online?

There are still plenty of people playing.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
If you have the GotY edition, it can be hard to find other players for some of the expansion content (I have only been able to find a Stronghold game once), and at some times the co-op missions can be hard to find players for, but there's still a pretty good number of players.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

I was reminded today of my very favorite freeroam activity - glitch hunters. When people started figuring out how to glitch underground in the Mexican palace (and later a house in Chuperosa), I loved to try to kill them with dynamite, often in a kamikaze run. They'd cuss up a storm at me and I'd race them to their glitch spot and defend it alone as long as I could.

Hey broham, you want a gigantic wanted level and have a big bounty, you're gonna earn it.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

titties posted:

Are you still trying to do this? I can probably peel myself away from BL2 to help out.

Gah, I would still like to try and do this. I just made this post right before I closed on a house and then spent the next month painting, redoing cabinets and other house poo poo.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

DangerKat posted:

Gah, I would still like to try and do this. I just made this post right before I closed on a house and then spent the next month painting, redoing cabinets and other house poo poo.

Yo, I can hook you up. Look for a friend request from Captain Handsum.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I've been replaying this game, just focusing on the story missions and it has been a lot of fun. I'm in Mexico and I forgot one Landon Ricketts mission that begins with a card game until this part https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-gVzaU5vMk&t=94s

An impasse sir! drat that made me laugh :)

Hello Meow
Nov 9, 2009
There's a triple XP thing going on right now.
Just thought I'd mention.

EDIT: Either way, I'd like to make a goon posse and maybe mop up some achievements I'd never otherwise get. DLC ones and horse racing stuff. I'll obviously return the favor. :v:

Hello Meow fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 24, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
GOTY version is on amazon for 15$!

Done went and boughtified it :clint:

Cheaper than the undead nightmare dlc by itself.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I can say this is probably the best game I have ever played. Only thing i could compare it to, as far as a single player experience goes, was my first FFVII play through as a kid.

then that multiplayer, so much time sunk! and I only got to *prestige* once haha after playing like a part time job...

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Yeah, I play through RDR once through every 9 months or so. I can always come back to it.

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

I just recently did another play through and did Jack (is that necessary)? as a bad dude.

All the dynamic events take on a whole new side when you rob stage coaches, murder idiots that invite you to flower collecting competitions, and fight bandits to rescue a safe-on-wheels and then just crack it yourself.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

GOTY version is on amazon for 15$!

Done went and boughtified it :clint:

Cheaper than the undead nightmare dlc by itself.

DAMMNIT I got the Greatest Hits for $10 shipped and thought i made out like a highwayman but now I want the dlc crap too.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

The Swinemaster posted:

I just recently did another play through and did Jack (is that necessary)? as a bad dude.

When I finished the game I was so peeved that John was shot to poo poo that I went on a murderous rampage as Jack and refused to acknowledge how immoral my actions were. But as Jack it felt so natural and I can't help but think that Rockstar planned it that way.

And yeah is it necessary to hide spoilers anymore?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I really love those days when it's late at night or early in the morning and I randomly join RDR online only to stumble upon a multiplayer XP bonus

Today is one of those days :bubblewoop: XP*3 today.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
one of my favourite gaming achievements is getting a golden Schofield without cheesing. I love the poo poo out of this game.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

The Swinemaster posted:

rescue a safe-on-wheels and then just crack it yourself.

What the gently caress;

1) Safe on wheels rescues?
2) You can do that?!

E:

Haha poo poo, I had post sorted by tag and thought this was post was today. :downs:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 19, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The game is 2 years old but there is still nothing more fun that having the entire town come out and try to murder Herbert Moon when he goes on a shooting spree :allears:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The game is 2 years old but there is still nothing more fun that having the entire town come out and try to murder Herbert Moon when he goes on a shooting spree :allears:

Wh...do you mean the actual NPC Herbert Moon? Or do you mean you have an H. Moon skin on multiplayer (if one exists) and you become an outlaw?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Go into his store and try to rob it, and when he starts shooting haul rear end outside. If he clips another npc, they will start to return fire (as will the sheriff, etc) and it's ongoing since he's pretty much invulnerable.

GO FORTH AND ANGER THE MOON!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiskeybent_Texan
Jun 21, 2009
Started finally playing this with a few friends and we had to retreat to friendly free roam, because griefers using exploits to be invisible/invincible just kept shooting us as soon as we spawn. They'd appear to be off in the distance or over the mountains according to the mini map, but I'd get shot as if they're right in front of me. Has anyone else had such an experience?

Once we got into friendly free roam, things got fun. Triple XP and we found a stage coach we could all ride in, mission to mission. It all made for a good time. I just wish the lasso were in multi player, and the train.

I hadn't played multi player or zombies because I got this game while deployed, so once I finished the story I put it away.

Whiskeybent_Texan fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 20, 2013

• Locked thread