Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

I always feel a little bit better after reading one of your posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Keep the countershaft sprocket area clean, no excessive chain tightness, thats about it. Its rare that they go, but when they do its a bitch.

There are guys with 100K on their Bandits that have the original CS seal, and some go at 20K, just keep it clean in there.

Got it, thanks! I'll clean that out when I get in there.

KARMA! posted:

I always feel a little bit better after reading one of your posts.

Strangely, me too :buddy:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Z3n posted:

Gettin' all Olde Weird Tip up in here:

Not mine, but did the purchasing for Xovaan...
2001 Bandit 1200
-1216 big bore kit
-GSXR1100 cams
-KN air filters
-Jetted carbs
-full Dale Walker Holeshot Exhaust
-ASV levers
-aftermarket windscreen
-pyramid rear hugger
-190/55 rear tire
-new EK ZZZ 530 chain and sprockets
-braided brake lines
-top end oiling kit
-race tech valves and springs (just installed with new bushings and seals)
-new spark plugs just installed
-new all balls steering stem bearings just installed
-Busa rear shock
-reg'd with clear title in hand
-including extra parts such as brand new Barnett clutch kit, service manual, etc

Best part:

$1200.

gently caress what a steal.

Thats a hell of an upgrade from an SV.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Keep the countershaft sprocket area clean, no excessive chain tightness, thats about it. Its rare that they go, but when they do its a bitch.

There are guys with 100K on their Bandits that have the original CS seal, and some go at 20K, just keep it clean in there.

http://www.portablepct.com/fastlarry/banditfaq.htm

That guy says you can pull them in place, just run some screws in there, drag it out, and shove the new one in?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hmm, thats possible, I got that information from someone who owns a used bike shop, and has had a few Bandits come through that needed that work done.

LOL if he's splitting the cases when he doesnt need to though.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

echomadman posted:

Thats a hell of an upgrade from an SV.

It's all about going 0-35 as fast as humanly possible. The SV was lacking for urban commuting. :colbert:

hell who am I kidding I'm gonna miss my SV :cry:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Hmm, thats possible, I got that information from someone who owns a used bike shop, and has had a few Bandits come through that needed that work done.

LOL if he's splitting the cases when he doesnt need to though.

What, making a grand in 30 minutes?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Xovaan posted:

The SV was lacking for urban commuting. :colbert:

Bill Cosby posted:

Well in the first place, an american car only does 160, that's all there is to it. Ferrari goes 180. I need a car that does 180 or better, to get to work!

That is a very nice Bandit. I'm very jealous. :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

What, making a grand in 30 minutes?

Yeah, lol @ customers then.

I believed him, so he would have taken me too :smith:

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008
Totally had my mind blown today by you Z3n. I was the guy on the yellow CBR at that stop light this morning. I saw those wheels on your bike and did a double take thinking that maybe someone else had the same idea but as soon as I saw that headlight I knew it was you. I don't know how to guesture "hey I saw your bike online and thought it was cool" so I just gave the thumbs up. Gotta say that bike is really unique (in a good way).

It's really weird seeing something that only exists online to suddenly exist an roll up next to you hah. How do you like SF? You living in the east bay now or something?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ne Cede Malis posted:

Totally had my mind blown today by you Z3n. I was the guy on the yellow CBR at that stop light this morning. I saw those wheels on your bike and did a double take thinking that maybe someone else had the same idea but as soon as I saw that headlight I knew it was you. I don't know how to guesture "hey I saw your bike online and thought it was cool" so I just gave the thumbs up. Gotta say that bike is really unique (in a good way).

It's really weird seeing something that only exists online to suddenly exist an roll up next to you hah. How do you like SF? You living in the east bay now or something?

Ha, that's awesome!

The thumbs up is safer than attempting to pantomime falling down a set of stairs or something anyways. :v:

I like working in SF, I'm glad that I finally got a job. I'm living out in Oakland...drop me a PM or something if you'd like to grab lunch sometime!

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Z3n posted:

Also welcome in the new fad:

MILITARY GEAR HIPSTERS:
http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/

Are these people too good for Warsaw Pact milsurp? I mean honestly, it only takes 5-6 washes and a bottle of Febreze to get the stench out, and you get to pretend your last name is Lukanov...

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Marv Hushman posted:

Are these people too good for Warsaw Pact milsurp? I mean honestly, it only takes 5-6 washes and a bottle of Febreze to get the stench out, and you get to pretend your last name is Lukanov...

http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Apparel/Ranger-Hoodie-LT

Shoulder patch may be the straw that finally causes someone to get beaten up by a GiP member with hipster rage.

Ne Cede Malis, you were supposed to shout DO YOU HAVE STAIRS IN YOUR BIKE? in a strangled, high-pitched voice and then pursue him through the streets. Have you learned nothing?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The correct answer was to follow him home and take pictures of his house

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Olde Weird Tip posted:

The correct answer was to follow him home and take pictures of throw Cheetos at his house

Pretty much.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sir Cornelius posted:

Pretty much.

I have a milk allergy you jerks!

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Z3n posted:

I have a milk allergy you jerks!

You are obviously just making excuses about not winning your last motoGP race... whiner.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

So when are you gonna upload those dirt bike pics? :allears:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

They're in the dirtbike thread:
But I bought a WR250, complete and ready to go, and a YZ250 rolling chassis.

First dirtbieking this weekend!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

a YZ250 rolling chassis.

GSXR750 motor.
Or electric.
DIESEL!
No, SXV450 motor.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I have had a crisis of faith about what I should do with that bike.

New engine and have a extra bike?

Part it out, convert suspension to supermoto, have sweet supermoto setup for my WR?

Convert it to supermoto, add KTM 2 stroke engine?

Electric motorcycle?

Turbocharged 250?

SO MANY CHOICES

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm not so sure it's a good frame for DYI electric. The tiny space in the frame left in the frame makes it difficult to fit off the shelf battery packs and a motor. I guess if you're not fitting a stock or very similar motor, the only practical, down to earth option seems a transverse mounted turbine. A small one, a modest APU or something.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pulsejet dirtbike :aaaaa:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

I have had a crisis of faith about what I should do with that bike.

New engine and have a extra bike?

Part it out, convert suspension to supermoto, have sweet supermoto setup for my WR?

Convert it to supermoto, add KTM 2 stroke engine?

Electric motorcycle?

Turbocharged 250?

SO MANY CHOICES

1. Purchase old Japanese 4cyl
2. Purchase extended swingarm
3. Purchase sand paddle tyre

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I agree with the above post but replace "hill" with "lake" and I'll help fab up a ski front end

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Why choose between the two?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That's pretty awesome, and probably cheaper than buying and maintaining both a dirtbike and a snowmobile.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Tried it. I have quite a lot of snowmobile experience, and not a lot of dirt riding experience, but my thoughts after a thirty minute test ride was that it was really fun in powder, but pretty worthless on the trail. Wandering around a lot, feeling very awkward and not... safe at all. On the trail, that is. In the powder it was plenty of fun. But goddamn it's expensive.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Hrm, been awhile since I've been around.

Bought a Speed Triple in Utah. Rode it the 800 miles home in a day, took the Sonora Pass. It was nice.

Incidentally, it's for sale, to the surprise of no one. Picking up another ZX6E tomorrow from a buddy, needs some top end work and then will be good to go. Not sure if I'm just going to cheat and grab a good head from a friend who has a stock of them or go through the effort to install new valve guides myself.

Once the Speed Triple is gone, I'll be buying an SXV550 and a Ninja 650 and putting them together into an unholy abomination for a relatively reliable, long range supermoto, for not that much money.

The YZ250F is quietly rotting in my parts lockup. A number of parts were sold off of it, still have the suspension to eventually modify to fit my WR250F.

Been riding some dirt, haven't really had it click yet, although I did enjoy some jumping/dirt stuff recently at a dirt bike school. Got used to sliding both wheels at the same time, which was pretty fun, and something I'd never really been comfortable with. Also had some fun jumping around:

Not sure if I'm just gonna say screw it on dirt and go back to track riding and buy another track bike or what. New job has been consuming pretty much my entire life so thusly the lack of posting lately and the lack of commitment to either dirt bikes, supermoto, or track riding.

Currently in the garage are my poor, neglected SV650, my friend's Multistrada 620, the Speed Triple, my WR250F, and tomorrow I'll be grabbing that ZX6E. Life goes on, la de da, la de do.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
...so how much for the Trumpet...?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

...so how much for the Trumpet...?

Probably be asking around 5kish. Clean CA title, 16k miles. I've pulled the aftermarket exhaust (too loud and the fueling was TERRIBLE), and some of the other odds and ends. I did buy it from a buddy and I believe it does have a salvage title in Utah, but that didn't transfer to CA? Was weird. Have put 2k or so on it now, and it's been fantastic, just want to do the SXV/650 project.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well the problem with your dirt experience is you're on some dumpy air-cooled 150cc 4-stroke. You need to hop onto a CR500 to properly experience motocross, of course.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
I thought you had gone into witness protection after that IRC Krew driveby.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Witness protection can't keep me down ;)

Slim, I'll, uh, work on that.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

Once the Speed Triple is gone, I'll be buying an SXV550 and a Ninja 650 and putting them together into an unholy abomination for a relatively reliable, long range supermoto, for not that much money.

SYNATX ERROR
DOES NOT COMPUTE

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

You quoted the wrong part that's spelling out the doom of this idea. It's not the plans, its the architect.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

You quoted the wrong part that's spelling out the doom of this idea. It's not the plans, its the architect.

It's not normal to have the engine drop out of the frame mid wheelie? :iiam:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So is it a Ninja-powered SXV, or an SXV-powered Ninja?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

If you have two good bikes, you can have both. (which in reality means zero and two broken bikes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Ninja powered SXV. The hope is it'll basically be a KTM 690 where I'm not judging every ride against the cost of a rebuild, plus better freeway manners. If I do the job right, it should be about the same weight and HP, but with a reliable twin in it.

Downsides - unlikely to be able to mount a really burly skidplate, and valve adjustments will become a drop the engine job. Also see bit about engine falling out during wheelies. The rest of the bikes will get parted out to help keep down the overall costs, but even then a cheap SXV is around 4k and a cheap Ninja 650 is around 2-3k, so the cost of the bike overall shouldn't be too terrible.

Ola posted:

If you have two good bikes, you can have both. (which in reality means zero and two broken bikes)

Although this is by far the most likely outcome.

• Locked thread