Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Still 100000x better than html/css/js

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
there are exactly 0 ways that Enterprise-Ready monstrosity is better than the ideal triune of web standards

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
oh no i have to hand-edit a couple entries into a text file nooooo

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

there's only one way to make a decent ui and that's to hand-write your css

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

code:
vbox.pack_start(farts);

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Tiny Bug Child posted:

artisanal stylesheets

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Tiny Bug Child posted:

itym compile your css from a more powerful language that allows you to use functions and variables

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

ok yes hand-write your less that's fine

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Shaggar posted:

Still 100000x better than html/css/js

no argument from me

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

use sexprs everywhere

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i hate css+html+js and hope one day a better standard comes along to take it's place or (more likely) we just keep piling abstractions on top until we get somewhere good

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

I have free will to do what I want but I choose to oscillate.
what if it's just too much effort for everyone to switch the standard

kind of like how the nuclear research facility in SA still runs on fortran

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its not too much effort, its that web "developers" are terrible and think the current way of doing things is unironically good

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

it's better than any currently available alternative

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

Shaggar posted:

its not too much effort, its that web "developers" are terrible and think the current way of doing things is unironically good

vicious cycle of slow uptake and slow enforcement

Bird Priest fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 21, 2012

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

web developers are slow human beings

PhonyMcRingRing
Jun 6, 2002

Shaggar posted:

xaml is gr8. idk what major changes have been but probably the nicest one was in .net 4 your basic poco properties notify the ui automatically w/out having to implement inotifypropertychanged

you've been able to do that since before .net 4, but there's no automated notifications from your poco. the wpf crap just knows how to read the value initially. you have to force the control to refresh otherwise. all they did in .net 4 was fix the memory leak caused by it.

PhonyMcRingRing
Jun 6, 2002

Cold on a Cob posted:

i hate css+html+js and hope one day a better standard comes along to take it's place or (more likely) we just keep piling abstractions on top until we get somewhere good

we're never gonna get anything better because everyone's like "waaaah code to standards and standards only!" and then it takes ten years to get a retarded standard for rounded corners implemented.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

PhonyMcRingRing posted:

we're never gonna get anything better because everyone's like "waaaah code to standards and standards only!" and then it takes ten years to get a retarded standard for rounded corners implemented.

also on one will ever replace javascript because they cant even finish it

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Paracetamol Boy posted:

boost is useful but there is this guy who uses boost for stuff that he can code natively in fewer lines than it takes to code the thing using boost

i do not understand this
yeah man i mean why on earth would you want to use an extremely efficient and exhaustively tested API as opposed to just doing your own thing. that's crazy talk.

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

OBAMA BIN LAUGHIN posted:

yeah man i mean why on earth would you want to use an extremely efficient and exhaustively tested API as opposed to just doing your own thing. that's crazy talk.

boost PO instead of just using main args?
crazytalk

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Paracetamol Boy posted:

boost PO instead of just using main args?
crazytalk

boost docs posted:

Introduction

The program_options library allows program developers to obtain program options, that is (name, value) pairs from the user, via conventional methods such as command line and config file.

Why would you use such a library, and why is it better than parsing your command line by straightforward hand-written code?

It's easier. The syntax for declaring options is simple, and the library itself is small. Things like conversion of option values to desired type and storing into program variables are handled automatically.

Error reporting is better. All the problems with the command line are reported, while hand-written code can just misparse the input. In addition, the usage message can be automatically generated, to avoid falling out of sync with the real list of options.

Options can be read from anywhere. Sooner or later the command line will be not enough for your users, and you'll want config files or maybe even environment variables. These can be added without significant effort on your part.
these all seem like great reasons to me.

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

OBAMA BIN LAUGHIN posted:

these all seem like great reasons to me.

oh nice

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF

Shaggar posted:

i'm sort of a web dev and i don't think this.

the state of web tech and all the stuff people pile on top of it under the guise of making them better makes me irl sad.

how do we go about starting all over again? pls to work it out then do it.

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

hello i am the exception so that is the rule

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF

Paracetamol Boy posted:

hello i am the exception so that is the rule
me too.

let's goonmeet.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the problem is:

*browsers

and

*stateless protocols

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

Alligator posted:

me too.

let's goonmeet.

i'll suck your dick but don't touch me

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Alligator posted:

i'm sort of a web dev and i don't think this.

the state of web tech and all the stuff people pile on top of it under the guise of making them better makes me irl sad.

how do we go about starting all over again? pls to work it out then do it.

this but the state of cpu microarchitectures and all the stuff people pile on top of it under the guise of making them better makes me irl sad

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i mean that there are some things that are so hilariously expensive in terms of opportunity cost to fix and replace that you might as well wish for a unicorn

the web stack is one of 'em

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

the problem is:

*browsers

and

*stateless protocols

fighting talk

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
it is more that people are now trying to write native using sockets inside browsers using http

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
why yes having these load balancers, caches and such, oh and gateway things like cgi, let's make them harder to write and debug

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

if you want websockets and to cache the websocket stuff, why the hell do you use websockets in the first place? load-balancing can go through it fine due to the way the protocol is set up in two steps going through regular HTTP. No argument for the rest.

Then again, the whole point of people tunneling their stateful poo poo through HTTP is to avoid installing software because generally there's no other okay sandboxing env around except the browser. Websockets wouldn't be needed at all if there was a good platform for people to use apps without downloading and installing poo poo as an admin with all the security risks related.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
perl is ugly as sin, dudes

just FYI

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
just a heads up: programming in cobol is a pain in the rear end

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Phone posted:

just a heads up: programming in cobol is a pain in the rear end

your goddamn right it is

Lol master file

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i have to write a programs in cobol

and make up some jcl to make it run

:negative:

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Phone posted:

i have to write a programs in cobol

and make up some jcl to make it run

:negative:

Jcl is loving trash, sorry for your lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i get paid in 4 days, so eh

i figure that i'll become an abuse victim out of this gig or just immediately make a bee-line to get my ccna and start on my ccie if it truly drives me up a wall.