Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Crotch Bat posted:

e: dear god, I can get this on my phone? Hello bathroom game for the next month. :frog

Is there just a touch version of the website?

What I've got so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Chococat posted:

I think I might have an extra bandana or something if you're interested. I will sort out the bag when I get home.

If Corridor isn't interested, I am! I'd probably tie that thing around my arm every now and then.

I don't want to take it away from Corridor though if he is interested.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

zari-gani posted:

Also, ever wanted to play one of those flick-the-coin games Arino always plays at candy stores? Well now you can. Online!
This is actually pretty cool despite my lack of knowledge in the field of Japanese candy. Is this based on an actual machine?

Edit: The second to last flicker is a total bitch to get down. :argh:

Edit 2: Bouncy pig! :3:

VVV That's neat. It looks like whoever made the Flash game did a great job remaking it. :)

Obeast fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Sep 23, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Yes, it is.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Crotch Bat posted:

e: dear god, I can get this on my phone? Hello bathroom game for the next month. :frog:

Hope you have android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.dagage.shinkansengame2androidjp

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Final swag haul, with the extra bandanna, without what I got for myself.

Please let me know if you're interested in the bandanna. :) The diagonal corner underneath has the GCCX logo on it. I'll be getting to people with prices once I can get a spreadsheet going and price out supplies vs flat rate, but you can PM me too if you're keen to get a subtotal for your purchase before shipping. Also please PM me if you are not in the US and you ordered!

Chococat fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 23, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Welp, after almost two hours, here's what I ended up with on the coin machine.

I wanted to unlock everything to see if anything would happen, but I don't have the mental energy to keep going. :(

Also, I tried to toss all the items back on the screen and got the broken glass thing to happen. :v:

Edit: According to Google, I spent the equivalent of $55.92 in virtual money.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 23, 2012

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

The Hunter

Chococat posted:

Please let me know if you're interested in the bandanna. :) The diagonal corner underneath has the GCCX logo on it. I'll be getting to people with prices once I can get a spreadsheet going and price out supplies vs flat rate, but you can PM me too if you're keen to get a subtotal for your purchase before shipping.

Like I said, I'm interested in the Bandana if Corridor doesn't want it. I think that would be close to $13 and shipping if I'm not mistaken.

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Volfogg posted:

Like I said, I'm interested in the Bandana if Corridor doesn't want it. I think that would be close to $13 and shipping if I'm not mistaken.

I got hosed by the ATM's exchange rate and its $14+pp fees. :( I can mail it first class normal mail though since it is super flat and light. If corridor passes I'll send you a PM. :)

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Chococat posted:

I got hosed by the ATM's exchange rate and its $14+pp fees. :( I can mail it first class normal mail though since it is super flat and light. If corridor passes I'll send you a PM. :)

Sweet. I'll probably have to wait just a few days (like, until Wednesday) to pay you (if Corridor passes of course) since I've got a lot of payments to make very soon, but I will be able to pay you. I just want to make sure my funds all line up and such.

Also, if that image is everything but your haul, where's YOUR haul? :colbert:

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Its a folder, a bandanna and the blue and white towel with the samurai looking dude from the lower right corner of the menu. Also in my backpack instead of the giant SEGA swag bag everything else was stuffed into. I left it out of the picture so people wouldn't get any ideas about stuff that didn't seem to be spoken for. <_<

draks
Apr 29, 2009

here he comes
Whoa whoa whoa, Chococat. Not GCCX related, but are both those slimestack fans spoken for? 'cos I totally missed out on those yesterday and I... I want one. :( ALSO YOU ARE SUPER COOL FOR SPREADING THE GCCX WEALTH dang!

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

I missed the giant slime fan. :( They were handing these out in the weird alley area behind the Square-enix booth. I'll get back to you but I think I can spare one. PS if you haven't tried it yet the FITS Magiq slime-flavoured gum is delicious and adorable.

Chococat fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 23, 2012

draks
Apr 29, 2009

here he comes
Oooh, yeah - I totally missed that area :( Every time I thought about hitting the Square-enix booth I got distracted by something. I kept seeing people with slimestack fans and slime fans and getting super jealous. All I managed to get was a weird circular GREE fan! I am bad at free swag.

Anyway, excellent! If you can indeed spare one, lemme know!

edit: YES the Fits magiq slime gum is so good!! And the flavor name's a great pun too B) SURAIMU. SUPPAI RAIMU. sour lime!!

draks fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 23, 2012

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Volfogg posted:

Chococat posted:

Sorry dude, but I'm totally up for that bandanna. :(
I'm in Australia so postage will probably suck, but the US$/AUD$ are roughly neck to neck at the moment so it should make calculation easier. I don't have paypal, but I'm sure I can track down someone who does.

Thanks Chococat, I was so disappointed at missing out :neckbeard:

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Corridor posted:

Sorry dude, but I'm totally up for that bandanna. :(
I'm in Australia so postage will probably suck, but the US$/AUD$ are roughly neck to neck at the moment so it should make calculation easier. I don't have paypal, but I'm sure I can track down someone who does.

:argh: :bahgawd: :argh:

Curse you Decade Corridor!

Seriously though, enjoy that bandanna. I guess there's always next year if someone here is at TGS again.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
This seems as good a thread to ask as any: but I'm really confused about the three writing systems that Japanese has. Is there any clear cut rule that lets you know when to use kanji, hiragana, and katakana? I guess I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of using kanji, which requires you to memorize thousands of characters when you have two relatively simpler alphabets at your disposal. I'm guessing it's partially that's just the way it always was, and a matter of saving space since one kanji can represent a lot of syllables.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

For some reason, the idea of the show's producer ringing up the purchases for the merchandise just tickles me.

Volfogg posted:

:argh: :bahgawd: :argh:

Curse you Decade Corridor!

Seriously though, enjoy that bandanna. I guess there's always next year if someone here is at TGS again.

I feel bad for taking it now. I'll send you a bunch of photos of me wearing it. Or would that just deepen the bitterness :ohdear:

(I kid, but I do feel sorta bad that I turned up to complain about Missing Out a few posts before you did)

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012

Humongous Pear posted:

drat, that's a nice pile of stuff. I wish Fuji TV would sell some of that stuff online, but of course it'd be a huge hassle for them to ship overseas and deal with customs so it's easy to see why they don't. The fanbase outside Japan probably isn't big enough to make it worthwhile.

Many (Most?) Japanese shops will not ship overseas as a general rule. It's possible to have a proxy/deputy service buy items for you, but you usually have to pay some kind of extra fee for it.

Cemetry Gator posted:

This seems as good a thread to ask as any: but I'm really confused about the three writing systems that Japanese has. Is there any clear cut rule that lets you know when to use kanji, hiragana, and katakana?

In very general terms, hiragana is used for native Japanese words and grammatical structures (verb endings, topic/subject/object/etc particles, etc). Katakana is used for loan words. Kanji is a holdover from Chinese, used for tons of things (nouns, adjectives, verb stems, many names, etc).

The importance of kanji in writing is that Japanese has TONS of homonyms. Kanji gets the meaning across without having to puzzle out the intentions of the writer.

Example: レトロゲームマスター有野のかえるがステージ1に帰る。 (Retro Game Master Arino's frog returns to Stage 1) ["Toad was toad back to Stage 1"™ Z-G] :)
"Retro Game Master" and "Stage", being English words, are rendered in katakana.
"かえる (frog)", "が (subject particle)", "に (indirect object particle)", "の (possessive particle)", and "-る (verb ending), are all in hiragana.
"有野 (Arino)" and "帰 (verb stem meaning "to return")" are in kanji.

As with any language, there are exceptions.

OrochiKiyo fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 23, 2012

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

OrochiKiyo posted:

The importance of kanji in writing is that Japanese has TONS of homonyms. Kanji gets the meaning across without having to puzzle out the intentions of the writer.

Thank you. I would have had no clue about that.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Corridor posted:

I feel bad for taking it now. I'll send you a bunch of photos of me wearing it. Or would that just deepen the bitterness :ohdear:

(I kid, but I do feel sorta bad that I turned up to complain about Missing Out a few posts before you did)

Don't feel bad...actually, yes. Feel bad. You complained and got the bandanna, I was just "oh well, the Pin sold out, maybe next year" before you complained!

(Seriously, don't feel bad about it. It's all cool. Chococat, sell it to Corridor, I'm just joking around.)

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

Thank you. I would have had no clue about that.

It's why GCCX (and many other Japanese tv shows) has subtitles. All the homonyms means that even the Japanese have trouble with their own language sometimes.

Volfogg posted:

Don't feel bad...actually, yes. Feel bad. You complained and got the bandanna, I was just "oh well, the Pin sold out, maybe next year" before you complained!

Oh wow, now I feel even more of a dick. :v: Squeaky wheel, etc.

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Volfogg posted:

(Seriously, don't feel bad about it. It's all cool. Chococat, sell it to Corridor, I'm just joking around.)

Hey if I go again next year I'll post a bit more warning in the thread for you US timezoners to stay up. (And bring more money) :)

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Chococat posted:

the blue and white towel with the samurai looking dude from the lower right corner of the menu.

It's Samurai Arino drawn by Abe for his Delinquent Daimyos comic, in case you didn't know. Also that Slime tower fan is awesome.

OrochiKiyo posted:

This is why a lot of times when someone asks me "what does [Japanese word either spoken or written in romaji] mean?" I say I'd have to see the kanji for it first. And it's really hard to read stuff that's written out entirely in hiragana or katakana, 'cause you're like "ki? Which ki?"

Atsui means hot, but there's two different kanji for two kinds of hot: one for weather, one for something being hot to the touch. Hayai means fast and also has two different kanji: one for speed, one for the passing of time. There's stuff like that.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Apparently alluvion.org is now a domain squatter.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Yeah, I'm kind of kicking myself for missing a chance at one of those Delinquent Diamyos tea towels because I was knee deep in Torchlight 2 instead of stalking this thread last night. v:shobon:v

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012

zari-gani posted:

This is why a lot of times when someone asks me "what does [Japanese word either spoken or written in romaji] mean?" I say I'd have to see the kanji for it first. And it's really hard to read stuff that's written out entirely in hiragana or katakana, 'cause you're like "ki? Which ki?"

Romaji is horrible that way... Case in point, "Ki" in "Quest of Ki" being pronounced "Kai". I suppose if they'd called the main character "Kī", it'd be more obvious.

Whilst farting I
Apr 25, 2006

Corridor posted:

Apparently alluvion.org is now a domain squatter.

I'm still seeding, there are some leechers on - I think through DHT people can still get in but they'd need copies of the torrent files. :nyoron:

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

I can still reach the site on one network but not on another.
Hopefully just a DNS propagation issue though the domain registration was autorenewed last night and maybe there was a delay processing the fee so it was parked?
Give it a day for it to come back before bugging r1ch I guess.

Nill fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 23, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Emoto, THAT SLACKER TSURUOKA and Nakayama at TGS.

Arino presenting at the Japan Games Awards future division.

Discotek guy told me the GCCX DVD is flying off the figurative shelves on his website and Amazon. Keep your fingers crossed for a second set!

ETA: If any of you are worried about coming across as a weirdo for buying a haul of merchandise at the GCCX booth, don't.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 23, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
So this DVD set coming out. Is it just the challenges or is it all the extra stuff like TamaGe and the game collections and stuff?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

zari-gani posted:

Atsui means hot, but there's two different kanji for two kinds of hot: one for weather, one for something being hot to the touch.
And there's a whole 'nother atsui written with a different kanji that means "thick" or "heavy" as in "a heavy jacket"...which can sometimes be hot.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

zari-gani posted:

And it's really hard to read stuff that's written out entirely in hiragana or katakana, 'cause you're like "ki? Which ki?"

When my friend got married, his Japanese grandmother sent him a congratulatory note written entirely in katakana. I guess she figured it'd be simpler for him to read, but due to the homonym issues as well as difficulty figuring out where individual words start and end, it made it impossible to get through even with a dictionary. He had me take a look at it since I was taking Japanese classes at the time, but I gave up after about two sentences.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Jamesman posted:

So this DVD set coming out. Is it just the challenges or is it all the extra stuff like TamaGe and the game collections and stuff?
Just challenges. TamaGe and the game collections would require more licenses I think.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

If you're interested a closer look at all the merchandise for next year or you're wondering what it is you bought exactly, I put together an album of pictures. Some pics are tiny but they were the best I could find. Some of them are enormous because sometimes Gascoin Company don't resize photos before uploading to their blog.

GCCX merchandise album

That's everything available now, except for the Inoue and Takahashi T-shirts which I don't have pics for.

I'd kill to have some of the older merchandise, like this business card holder.

ETA: The back of the baseball tee says "Everything I need to know in life, I learned from video games" in Kan's brush script writing.

The stickers say (from top to bottom) "May I play for one life?," "Middle-aged gamer," "Normal," "Gamay obera," "Trapped in a pattern" and "Last continue."

The towel says "Udon booth way in the red!" and "Game Center CX."

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 23, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Aw, I didn't realize the towel was a towel. Or that the posters had a backside. :(

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.

zari-gani posted:

ETA: If any of you are worried about coming across as a weirdo for buying a haul of merchandise at the GCCX booth, don't.

Man, look at that guy's face. He looks so goddamn reverent, I wonder what he's listening to.

I hope it's Last Continue.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Awesomonster posted:

Man, look at that guy's face. He looks so goddamn reverent, I wonder what he's listening to.

I hope it's Last Continue.

Actually he tweeted that it's Kacho Fighter.

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012
I was wondering what that says on the message bag; every pic of it is either folded over or a strap is covering it just so I can't make out the last half of the phrase. "No Game No Life", perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

That's the guy that shows up at every event, right? I'm sure he's a wonderful person.

(yes I'm joking because YES I'm one to talk)

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 23, 2012