Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Sweeney Tom posted:

Drag Me to Hell was admittedly a better view in theaters. The audio is picture perfect if you're in a theater.

Seeing the midnight premiere of Drag Me to Hell with a packed audience of Raimi fans was honestly one of the best theater experiences of my life. All of the scare moments worked like gangbusters and everyone got all the comedy moments. It was like watching one of your favorite movies on the couch with a friend and having them react exactly how you wanted them to at all the right moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

qbert posted:

Seeing the midnight premiere of Drag Me to Hell with a packed audience of Raimi fans was honestly one of the best theater experiences of my life. All of the scare moments worked like gangbusters and everyone got all the comedy moments. It was like watching one of your favorite movies on the couch with a friend and having them react exactly how you wanted them to at all the right moments.

My experience was the same. It was only half full but there was a guy on the end of my row who would utterly poo poo himself at any jump moment. I didn't even mind when he got on the phone to call what I'm guessing was his girlfriend in an attempt to calm down because it added to the atmosphere.

To that end, Freddy V Jason was a similar experience. I saw it at a packed showing and it went down so well. When I took my girlfriend to see it with me again the cinema was practically empty and I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

The MSJ posted:

Blu-ray is a good alternative, especially if you have a good sound system. Blu-ray.com says both the picture and audio is fantastic.

This is true, the Drag me to Hell blu ray is really really beautiful.

It is almost October. Almost time for massive discounted horror blu rays and being able to go to the Wal Mart 5 dollar movie bin and find every Hellraiser sequel you could ever want.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Lovely Molly is out onto bluray in two weeks or so. It's a serious worth checking out film, there's like a dusting of found footage onto a film cake mostly made out of good old fashioned horror.

It's a solid 8 on my personal score scale.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Lovely Molly is going up on Netflix in 2 days strangely, as is Tall Man, at least according to feedfliks.com.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Lovely Molly infers sex with ghostly horses in a supermarket.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
I do not get the Drag Me To Hell opinions. It was like a really dumb B-movie with a budget.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

osietra posted:

Lovely Molly infers sex with ghostly horses in a supermarket.
It's also thoroughly depressing and barely a horror film.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Wait, Netflix or Netflix Instant? I was interested in seeing Lovely Molly.

I wish I could have seen DMtH in theaters! Insidious was really fun in theaters as well.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Keanu Grieves posted:

It's also thoroughly depressing and barely a horror film.
Opinions are like sperm.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Whispering Machines posted:

Wait, Netflix or Netflix Instant? I was interested in seeing Lovely Molly.

I wish I could have seen DMtH in theaters! Insidious was really fun in theaters as well.

Netflix Instant, comes September 25th, so get your streaming device ready to go.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

osietra posted:

Opinions are like sperm.

Women don't have any? :confused:

Really don't get what you're trying to say here.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Industrial posted:

I do not get the Drag Me To Hell opinions. It was like a really dumb B-movie with a budget.

That was completely the point.

(I didn't care for it, regardless)

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

osietra posted:

Opinions are like sperm.
Mine are lacking in motility?

I didn't say Lovely Molly was a bad movie. I appreciated it. There's just a discrepancy between the film and the marketing of which people should be aware before they go into it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

osietra posted:

Opinions are like sperm.

You have less of them the more weed you smoke?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Suzuki Method posted:

I have never seen or heard of The Hole, I'm gonna watch this tonight. If I like it I'll make her watch it!

It's not exactly the type of film I would want to watch twice in quick succession, would definitely fit the bill when it comes to trying to get a younger sister introduced to horror though. Hot-stuff male lead with a Justin Bieber bobble head, romance, young people pop stuff with very effective jump scares & a bizarre ending that will be cool to have a talk about afterwards.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

BisonDollah posted:

It's not exactly the type of film I would want to watch twice in quick succession, would definitely fit the bill when it comes to trying to get a younger sister introduced to horror though. Hot-stuff male lead with a Justin Bieber bobble head, romance, young people pop stuff with very effective jump scares & a bizarre ending that will be cool to have a talk about afterwards.

I just remember thinking this would've been one of those 'staple of childhood' movies, if I was a kid. It's very adventurous, very concentrated on the kids, and has a disturbing edge at points. Basically, it felt like a Joe Dante movie.

It's fun, but I felt like I wasn't the proper age to get the most out of it.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I just remember thinking this would've been one of those 'staple of childhood' movies, if I was a kid. It's very adventurous, very concentrated on the kids, and has a disturbing edge at points. Basically, it felt like a Joe Dante movie.

It's fun, but I felt like I wasn't the proper age to get the most out of it.

I'm with you - exactly, yeah. I was racking my brains thinking of modern-day horror films that work for a certain age of kid, as much as most people like animation horror (9, Coroline & now ParaNorman) I think they are a different beast & suggesting PG-13 movies is in a whole other spirit of it.

The Hole pretty much stands out all on it's own.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I was really confused by this discussion of the hole being a fun teenage horror movie, but then I realized you weren't talking about http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0242527/.

Well not really a "fun movie" I thought the hole (2001) was pretty good, quite atmospheric, even if the twist was somewhat predictable and some of the acting was sub-par (teen actors are a mixed bag). Kind of a cool psychological horror that plays on the typical "teen movie" tropes.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Profondo Rosso posted:

I was really confused by this discussion of the hole being a fun teenage horror movie, but then I realized you weren't talking about http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0242527/.

Well not really a "fun movie" I thought the hole (2001) was pretty good, quite atmospheric, even if the twist was somewhat predictable and some of the acting was sub-par (teen actors are a mixed bag). Kind of a cool psychological horror that plays on the typical "teen movie" tropes.

I really liked that The Hole, and assumed it was what they were talking about. What other is there?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I haven't seen it, but IMDB leads me to believe its this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt10857790/) one

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Industrial posted:

But it has bad things happening to someone working for the US mortgage industry.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Sweeney Tom posted:

Drag Me to Hell was admittedly a better view in theaters. The audio is picture perfect if you're in a theater.

The audio was extremely important to the film having any effect. It was a loud movie and watching it without that big volume weakened the film experience.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

osietra posted:

Opinions are like sperm.

I have never swallowed any opinions so this doesn't really work.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
All this talk of Drag Me to Hell makes me want to re-watch it. I'd probably rank it right alongside Evil Dead 2 as my favorite Raimi horror. Are there any other films that are as good at blending legitimate dread with legitimate comedy? All the examples I've seen tend to focus on poking fun at obvious tropes without bothering to actually be scary.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Red Pyramid posted:

All this talk of Drag Me to Hell makes me want to re-watch it. I'd probably rank it right alongside Evil Dead 2 as my favorite Raimi horror. Are there any other films that are as good at blending legitimate dread with legitimate comedy? All the examples I've seen tend to focus on poking fun at obvious tropes without bothering to actually be scary.

Return of the Living Dead and Re-Animator form the holy trinity of "essential '80s comedy-horror" along with Evil Dead 2. I'd say Evil Dead 2 is my favorite, but in terms of mixing dread with comedy, I'd say Return of the Living Dead is the best. It's really impressive the feeling of utter hopelessness that movie creates while still remaining funny.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Return of the Living Dead and Re-Animator form the holy trinity of "essential '80s comedy-horror" along with Evil Dead 2. I'd say Evil Dead 2 is my favorite, but in terms of mixing dread with comedy, I'd say Return of the Living Dead is the best. It's really impressive the feeling of utter hopelessness that movie creates while still remaining funny.
Plus Return had an awesome soundtrack

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

While they are 90's movies, I feel like Dead Alive and Cemetery Man both deserve a mention, too.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Return is the first thing that comes to mind as well. An American Werewolf in London is a strong contender too, although the humor is a little less slapstick than the Evil Dead 2/Return style and more dry. The horror is strong in that one, with the sound the beast makes ranking up there on the all time "Things That Scare The poo poo Out Of Me" list.

Oh actually, House from the mid 80's is a nice blend of goofy humor and a few genuine chills. It actually has some similar scenarios in a way to Evil Dead 2, which came out a year or so later I believe. That "wife turned into basically a deadite" scenario is right out of the Raimi playbook before said playbook was completely established. Also George Wendt. GEORGE WENDT.

Glamorama26 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 24, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

While they are 90's movies, I feel like Dead Alive and Cemetery Man both deserve a mention, too.

(Dead Alive) "Your mother ate my dog!" :ohdear:

EDIT: spoiled just in case

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

(Dead Alive) "Your mother ate my dog!" :ohdear:

EDIT: spoiled just in case

"I kick arse for the Lord!"

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

The MSJ posted:

"I kick arse for the Lord!"

Almost 20 years later and that scene still makes me chuckle.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Strongly seconding cemetery man, it's a pretty great little Italian flick. Much smarter than most horror-comedies and quite the under appreciated gem. It's much different in tone from say, reanimator or evil dead 2. Some wonderful dialogue and hilarious scenes with a weird as gently caress ending

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Also, the girl in Cemetary Man is really easy to look at.

Almost 20 years later and that scene still makes me chuckle.

The first time I saw that scene with that line, I think I was 12 or so. I almost fell into some sort of joyous coma. I couldn't believe things like this existed and I was so happy.

Brings up a fun question: What's the most excited you've been to show a buddy a scene from a horror flick? I kick arse for the Lord! is way up there for me. I practically scrambled to the phone trying to get SOMEONE else over to see it.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Glamorama26 posted:

Brings up a fun question: What's the most excited you've been to show a buddy a scene from a horror flick? I kick arse for the Lord! is way up there for me. I practically scrambled to the phone trying to get SOMEONE else over to see it.

This, of course.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Hey everybody, Trash is taking off her clothes again!

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Ha, yes. Excellent pick.

I remember when Audition came out on DVD in the states and I was finally able to make some friends sit through it. Being 16 or so, they were kind of bored by it initially.

Then they were not bored and everyone looked like the were about to vomit/have a panic attack.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Coffee And Pie posted:

Hey everybody, Trash is taking off her clothes again!

My favorite: "Hit the brain! Hit the brain!" "I HIT THE loving BRAIN!"

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
"Rabid weasels"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Glamorama26 posted:

Ha, yes. Excellent pick.

I remember when Audition came out on DVD in the states and I was finally able to make some friends sit through it. Being 16 or so, they were kind of bored by it initially.

Then they were not bored and everyone looked like the were about to vomit/have a panic attack.

Audition is like an awkward rom-com the first hour, and a freight elevator to hell for the second.

My girlfriend is of Japanese origin, and her mother recommended that we watch Audition together. When my girlfriend brought it up, I put my foot down- the needle torture scene was good at one viewing, thanks.

When my girlfriend's mom asked if we'd watched it yet, my girlfriend reported back that I had already seen it and didn't want to watch it with her again. Her mother's response was "Why? If he's a good boy he doesn't have anything to worry about."

If I end up making this woman my wife someday, I'm going to be keeping one eye on her mom during Thanksgiving.